Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 27th May 2013, 19:06   #1
BHPian

Post Bangalore to Kollur (Mookambika)

Friends

This is my first travelouge to team-bhp and really excited about this. Hope this turns out useful for folks.
We had been planning on driving to Kollur (mookambika temple) for quite a while. Finally decided to get out of the "analysis paralysis" mode and get this done. browsed through the forum and found a route and good place to stay. We split the trip into two legs.

leg1: Bangalore->Nelamangala->Tumkur Bypass->Gubbi->Tiptur->Arsikere->Tarikere->Bhadravati bypass->Shivamoga bypass->Tirthahalli->Bananki.
We left BLR at about 05:30. BLR to Tumkur roads have been eulogized a lot in the forum.There are three tolls
1st one - Rs 20
2nd and 3rd(advisable to pay for both at one shot) - Rs 31
As soon as you get out of the 2nd toll booth, we took the road to the left,below the flyover to proceed to Gubbi. Roads are decent enough to maintain 60-80kmph. Then on, its a straight road till we hit Tarekere.We took a 20 min pit stop for breakfast between Tiptur and Arsikere. Nothing like having home made breaker alongside highways beneath banyan trees. All our material were eco-friendly and no plastics except the bottle of pearlpet that had water for us

Just before reaching Bhadravati, there is a bypass. A turn to the left, characterized by 6 rumblers on either side of the turn. There is a tender coconut vendor to the right and stopped there for one of the refreshing natural drinks. Further down there are two rail-road crossings (again strewn with tender coconut and groundnut vendors. Thankfully no trains we had to wait for. Similarly there is a bypass at Tumkur. That one is a bit tricky with a 5 radial roads at the round-about. The second one to the left lead us to Tirthahalli. The board is a bit misleading and we first drove directly into the city but made amends within 300mts. We were at Shivamoga bypass at 10:15.

Road between Shivamoga and Tirthahalli is pure bliss for a driving enthusiast. My Lilak (Lightning Lakshmi), thats what we call our City, was begging to be revved hard with excellent road grip and brilliant accelaration. It a clone between Lightning Mcqueen(Disney Cars movie) and Lakshmi (Rajnikanths car in one of his movies ) hee hee hee. Attached a snap of the roads with green trees either side. Drove straightly into the city charaterized by a small bus station to the left adjacent to a BP fuel station. Drove down 400mts and there is a Kuvempu statue to the left. Took that road and travelled for 8.5km to reach Bananki bus stop. the homestay is right there to the left. There is a beautiful white bridge over Tunga river on the way to Bananki. Reached Bananki at 11:15. Folks at the homestay were very hospitable. mad eus comfortable in no time. Its a beautiful place with cottages, ample car parking, big dining hall and the food is very good. They served shavige with coconut milk, akki roti with baingan bartha etc. and it was yummy.

leg2:Tirthahalli->Yedyuru->Siddapura->Ampere->Kollur
We left Bananki at 13:30. The roads from Tirthahalli to Kollur are narrow but still metalled. Almost all of the 106 Kms is through ghat section. its very dark (even in peak afternoon) and very eerie. No signs of human existence for long stretches. Infact at one place where there was a fork, there was no sign and no one around. So had to go inside a hut, wake up a kid and ask him the route . Knowing kannada is a desired skill to take these roads. There are about 8 hairpins till Siddapura. On the road from Siddapura(around 20kms before augumbe) we took a right at a round-about to head to Ampere(pronounced as amperey). At ampere, we took another right to hit the Kundapura-kollur road. 30kms hence then, reached Kollur at 16:00hrs. Spent about an hour at the temple and had good darshan.

We left Kollur at 17:15 and headed the same way back. Thankfully the sun holded up till 18:50 by then we had convered most of the thickly wodded area. We reached back at 19:30 where hot soup and bhajjias were awaiting us .

On the way back the next day, we went to Chippalgudde as suggested by Rachan and Arpita (of Bananki homestay). This place is 8kms from bananki driving away from Tirthahalli town. Its basically a Ganpati temple on the banks of Tunga river and there are huge fish in the river(or whatever is left). Indiscriminate "riversand" mining and no rains are slowly making this once mighty river, fade away into memories. happy we could get a glimpse of this. There is absolutely no hindi/english in these places. Would be good to brush up basic kannada if you are visiting ths route.

There is an elephant camp around 15kms before reaching Tirthahalli. Kids would enjoy that place. Lots of elephants too. There is a Kamat and Pai hotel in Tiptur for gastronomic folks. Post that, you would find few dhabas. one had an interesting name "Bonny da dhaba", but heard the non veg food at this place is good.

My Lilak is not a bit exhausted and we would be doing another trip soon. Looking forward to help all folks who want to go on this route.

Shall post the photos shortly...

Cheers
Anand

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th December 2014 at 16:20. Reason: Only 2 smileys per post please
FuelInjector is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 23:06   #2
BHPian

Default re: Bangalore to Kollur (Mookambika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
leg2:Tirthahalli->Yedyuru->Siddapura->Ampere->Kollur
There are about 8 hairpins till Siddapura.
This Ghat is called as Hulikal Ghat. The smallest Ghat (with very less Hairpin curves) among the 4 Ghats section Shiradi, Charmadi, Agumbe and Hulikal

Quote:
On the road from Siddapura(around 20kms before augumbe) we took a right at a round-about to head to Ampere(pronounced as amperey). At ampere, we took another right to hit the Kundapura-kollur road.
It is pronounced as Amparu (Not ampere or amperey).

Quote:
There is absolutely no hindi/english in these places.
Seems like you are used to Urban areas of Karnataka.

Quote:
There is an elephant camp around 15kms before reaching Tirthahalli. Kids would enjoy that place. Lots of elephants too.
This is the famous Sakrebail elephant rearing camp. Good for a visit if you have kids and want to spend about 2 hrs.
carlosTHEjackal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 10:22   #3
BHPian

Mod team note: Please wait for approval and use Edit to add comments instead of back to back posts. Thanks.

Thanks Carlos. Does that mean Hulikal is one of the easier routes among the four?

Yes Carlos - Very much used to urban areas of karnataka. But absolutely love the rural areas. Can manage with the little kannada i know.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th May 2013 at 10:26.
FuelInjector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 00:04   #4
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore to Kollur (Mookambika)

Quote:
Does that mean Hulikal is one of the easier routes among the four?
Some people also refer it to as Balebare Ghat. Yes this is easier and shortest amongst Ghats which is motor-able for long chassis buses and trucks.
The bad part is road condition is always worst amongst all the Ghats as this falls under 2 districts administration. Hence neglected.
carlosTHEjackal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2013, 17:56   #5
BHPian

Attaching some snaps. had to resize them to hit the upload limit. Hope the resolutions is OK.

Bangalore to Kollur (Mookambika)-roads-waygood-ones.jpg

Bangalore to Kollur (Mookambika)-chippalgudde.jpg

Bangalore to Kollur (Mookambika)-matsyadhamafises.jpg

Bangalore to Kollur (Mookambika)-tunga-river.jpg

Bangalore to Kollur (Mookambika)-view-hulikal-2.jpg

Bangalore to Kollur (Mookambika)-view-hulikal-ghat.jpg

Bangalore to Kollur (Mookambika)-lightning-lakshmi.jpg
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 20:38   #6
BHPian

Hey folks, So I am planning to go to Kolur on 1st of Jan. Is it still advisable to take this route? I have some elderly folks travelling with me. So I would prefer good and safer roads even if it means adding some extra kms.
carChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 14:32   #7
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

@fuelinjector - Thanks for sharing your experiences and the pictures in this travelogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by carChef View Post
Hey folks, So I am planning to go to Kolur on 1st of Jan. Is it still advisable to take this route? I have some elderly folks travelling with me. So I would prefer good and safer roads even if it means adding some extra kms.
Look at this thread, one of the recent posts here for route and road condition updates - Here (Route Query-Bangalore-Kollur)
Also, there was a plan to close Agumbe ghats for repair work in December, so if closed already Agumbe route will not be an option.

Last edited by NPV : 12th December 2014 at 14:35.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2014, 21:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Look at this thread, one of the recent posts here for route and road condition updates - Here (Route Query-Bangalore-Kollur)
Also, there was a plan to close Agumbe ghats for repair work in December, so if closed already Agumbe route will not be an option.
Thanks NPV. The route being discussed looks good and it seems to avoid Agumbe as well.
So I guess I need to finalise if this is better trying out Bangalore-Tumakuru-Tiptur-Shivamoga.
Old 18th January 2015, 17:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks NPV. The route being discussed looks good and it seems to avoid Agumbe as well.

So I guess I need to finalise if this is better trying out Bangalore-Tumakuru-Tiptur-Shivamoga.

Did you do your trip? How are the roads and which route did you take?
FuelInjector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 22:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Did you do your trip? How are the roads and which route did you take?
Hi FuelInjector,

I am yet to do this trip. I am planning for the 26th Jan long weekend to do it.

Regarding the road, I am thinking of Bangalore-Tumakuru-Tiptur-Shivamoga.
But still not sure.

Another option I am thinking of is going to Mysuru and taking a break there as I have some relatives there. But I guess it would be a longer route. Shall post back once I finalize the route in a day or two.
Old 19th January 2015, 08:04   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Another option I am thinking of is going to Mysuru and taking a break there as I have some relatives there. But I guess it would be a longer route. Shall post back once I finalize the route in a day or two.
Have not seen any updates on Agumbe being closed. In case Agumbe is closed, you can take the Hulikal route.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote