Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 14th June 2013, 01:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Saurashtra Road Trip: Sasan Gir, Beaches, Temples and more

Soon we saw serpant eagle, but missed taking a picture due to driver who was in a hurry.

A goldenish small animal crossed our path and guide was excited.
This was the elusive Jungle cat, it paused and was looking at us from a distance.
According to guide they are unable to see it for weeks.

Same is the case with leopard which is very elusive.
A owl was our next animal which was luckily sitting on a tree next to the road.
Life in jungle was awake due to abundance of peacocks and small birds.
Ibis, robinhood, kingfisher were few names of birds which i can recollect.

All of a sudden we neared a watering hole to see a magnificient site.
3 lioness were busy gulping water, they were 30-35 feet away from us but looked huge and healthy.

Soon someone from other jeep made some noise and it was followed by a stare from 2 of the lioness.
Soon one left and climbed uphill while the other 2 continued gulping water for 1 more minute.
After which they climbed a small hill and rested in the thick cover of tress.

This was much more exciting than the previous lions.
I secretly wished we could hear the roar, but it was not to be.
Lions are active during early hours and there was enough evidence looking at pug marks which were 7-8 hours old.
Soon our safari was nearing end, but since our route was going to go back from scene 1 lions, we were lucky to have another view of them from a different angle.

They were in the same position, but this time the lioness which was sitting gave us a clear view.
It was icing on the cake, and soon our safari ended.It was a memorable experience and i plan to visit it after rains some time. Park closes on 15th june and opens on 16th October.

We can surely take our own vehicle, saw a Endy with damaged crash guard inside the safari route.
Also saw a white innova fully loaded on the same route.The difference is you will not have to pay for gypsy charges which are Rs.1000 as against Rs.475 for your own vehicle.

Looking at the rough roads , this is not advisable unless you have a vehicle which has leaf springs at both ends.

Vehicles with IFS need to be careful on safari roads.
Attached Thumbnails
Saurashtra Road Trip: Sasan Gir, Beaches, Temples and more-dscf4447.jpg  

Saurashtra Road Trip: Sasan Gir, Beaches, Temples and more-dscf4454.jpg  

Saurashtra Road Trip: Sasan Gir, Beaches, Temples and more-dscf4434.jpg  

Attached Images

silverado is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 01:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Saurashtra Road trip: Sasan Gir,Beaches,Temples and more

We had a good tea break at Sasan and were soon headed to Junagadh.
Saw the beautifully carved Mahabat maqbara, it was pity we reached when daylight was fading fast and hence could not have full view of the structure.

Saurashtra Road Trip: Sasan Gir, Beaches, Temples and more-dscf4478.jpg

Saurashtra Road Trip: Sasan Gir, Beaches, Temples and more-dscf4480.jpg

Saurashtra Road Trip: Sasan Gir, Beaches, Temples and more-dscf4481.jpg

There are few more stuctures in junagadh which would be on my list next time.

Saw a classy hotel , named lotus and a newly opened Petals restaurant close to it.This was our Dinner break and we enjoyed the Sizzlers.

Saurashtra Road Trip: Sasan Gir, Beaches, Temples and more-dscf4474.jpg

This was the end of our Saurashtra trip.
Innova trip log : 906 kms which cost us Rs9966.
We stayed that night at hotel president again.
Loaded Nano to the gills and it was time to head back to Baroda.

One peculiar thing which we noticed was that car Ac was not working up to the mark in few stretches.Especially in few stretches between Rajkot and Jamnagar and also while coming back.we had to shut down Ac as we neared Ahmedabad as well, it seems the AC was not able to cope up with temperatures which were high ( Around 42-43 deg ).

Saurashtra Road Trip: Sasan Gir, Beaches, Temples and more-dscf4489.jpg

Saurashtra Road Trip: Sasan Gir, Beaches, Temples and more-20130606_103457.jpg

Saurashtra Road Trip: Sasan Gir, Beaches, Temples and more-20130606_103435.jpg

Saurashtra Road Trip: Sasan Gir, Beaches, Temples and more-20130606_144035.jpg

But once on NE1 it was 5pm and we switched off the Ac and reached Baroda end in 60 minutes flat.Reached Manjalpur in another 30 minutes.
silverado is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 01:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Default Saurashtra Road trip: Sasan Gir,Beaches,Temples and more

A day off for rest and some shopping in Navabazar , it was time to head back to Aamchi mumbai.
It rained that day and we were hoping it does not rain for next day.

Started at 8am from Manjalpur, reached Kamrej Sugar n spice at 10.00.
Took a rather long break of 1 hour, and started again at 11.00.

Reached valsad and tanked up, average 21kmpl this time.
Manor was our lunch break at 2.15pm.

A good 30 minutes after that we started on our way towards mumbai.
Reached borivali national park at 3.30pm sharp and took a 1 hour break at inlaws place.
Reached Dadar after 5.30pm and that was it. End of a 1800km journey for Nano.

Rest next day and we were off to Pune to complete a nearly 2000km long journey within 10 days.
With car securely parked , it was time to admire this small machine.
It had served us really well and exceeded all our expectations in the entire trip.

The overall fuel cost came around Rs6200, with overall average being 22kmpl ( This with Ac on for 80% of time ).
Love you MH03 AZ 3327, and thanks a lot for a good outing.
The yellow sticker remains as a mark of visiting gujrat on our Nano.
So every time i see that it will remind us of our fantastic trip to Vibrant Gujrat.

Thanks for reading.

Route : Each line depicting route taken on that day

Nano

Pune - Mumbai
Mumbai - Baroda
Baroda - Jamnagar

same route on return journey.

Innova

Jamnagar - Bet Dwarka - Dwarka - Porbandar
Porbandar - Madhavpur - Chorvad - Somnath - Diu - Somnath
Somnath - Sasan - Junagadh - Jamnagar
silverado is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 08:53   #19
BHPian

Thumbs up re: Saurashtra Road Trip: Sasan Gir, Beaches, Temples and more

Great travelogue ! Very well written and nice pictures.

I am also planning Sourashtra and Kutch drive during Diwali season.

Nano is really capable and its good you are utilizing even for long drives. I have seen many Nanos in Konkan region.
You should take your Nano to Konkan in monsoon to enjoy climate, beautiful nature and ofcourse driving experience in Nano.

Cheers !
sameervg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 09:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameervg View Post
Great travelogue ! Very well written and nice pictures.

I am also planning Sourashtra and Kutch drive during Diwali season.

Nano is really capable and its good you are utilizing even for long drives. I have seen many Nanos in Konkan region.
You should take your Nano to Konkan in monsoon to enjoy climate, beautiful nature and ofcourse driving experience in Nano.

Cheers !
Thanks Sameer, nano has already been to Konkan last year as well as to Pandharpur, solapur, tuljapur, akkalkot and Gangapur.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...awda-kaas.html (Yet another Tata Nano trip : Phondaghat, Gaganbawda & Kaas)
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 12:53   #21
BHPian

That's a fantastic trip experience. Amazing pictures and nice write-up. Nano has proved time and again that it is very much capable of long hauls. Thanks Silverado!
Satshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 18:47   #22
BHPian

Default Re: Saurashtra Road Trip: Sasan Gir, Beaches, Temples and more

A good trip and a good travelogue with neat pictures. Your travelogue will be useful to folks planning a trip to Gujarat
VaahanYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 19:30   #23
BHPian

Default Re: Saurashtra Road trip: Sasan Gir,Beaches,Temples and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
NAIDA CAVES - DIU Near Nagao beach
I guess you forgot or didn't know that not far from these caves is a war memorial dedicated to the Indian Navy Frigate INS Khukri(F149). She was sunk by a Paki Navy Submarine in the 1971 Indo-Pak war with the loss of most of her crew near Diu. Its a sad story of the valiant captain & crew of the Khukri who tried to save as many souls as possible before the ship went down to her watery grave.

The memorial has a large scale model of the frigate and the model points to the area where the wreck and the brave crew of the INS Khukri rest.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/G...orials/Khukri/

There are two hotels near Somnath which are decent with good food - Hotel Lord's Inn & Hotel Sukh Sagar. Both these hotel are located at the exit of Veraval bye pass. Other hotels are best avoided.

Entry fee for Diu? There is no such thing, unless they implemented it in the last four months. Those greedy police wallahs in Diu are famous for making a fool out of tourists. If you confront them, they let you go. I know it because I grew up in Veraval, spent 30 years there and only recently moved to Mangalore. Never did I have to pay any such "entry fee" in Diu. I guess while leaving Diu and at the Gujarat side checkpost, the police chaps would have asked everyone in the vehicle to get down for checking.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 14th June 2013 at 19:41.
skanchan95 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 20:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
I guess you forgot or didn't know that not far from these caves is a war memorial dedicated to the Indian Navy Frigate INS Khukri(F149). She was sunk by a Paki Navy Submarine in the 1971 Indo-Pak war with the loss of most of her crew near Diu. Its a sad story of the valiant captain & crew of the Khukri who tried to save as many souls as possible before the ship went down to her watery grave.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/G...orials/Khukri/

There are two hotels near Somnath which are decent with good food - Hotel Lord's Inn & Hotel Sukh Sagar. Both these hotel are located at the exit of Veraval bye pass. Other hotels are best avoided.

Entry fee for Diu? There is no such thing, unless they implemented it in the last four months. I guess while leaving Diu and at the Gujarat side checkpost, the police chaps would have asked everyone in the vehicle to get down for checking.
Thanks Sandesh, i knew about INS Khukri but we had elders on board who were more inclined towards the Sound and light show in Somnath ( which we missed eventually ). Dad and mom had been to diu earlier and had seen INS Khukri.

The Innova we had hired was GJ-10 registered, the Diu police gave us a receipt which according to driver was entry permit.We did not have to get down while coming back.

I will surely keep those hotels in mind while recommending it to anyone else.
Thanks and your replies to SDP's queries also helped me a lot, so thanks again.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 07:52   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post

I will surely keep those hotels in mind while recommending it to anyone else.
Thanks and your replies to SDP's queries also helped me a lot, so thanks again.
You are welcome, glad I could be of help

About the Diu entry permit part, we used to always go to Diu in GJ-11 registered vehicles( incl taxis). Unless you stop at the Diu checkpost, only then do the police fellows have a chance to fleece you. As you may have seen, those fellows will be sitting lazily in that checkpost of theirs, not even willing to come out. I have seen many of them in chaddi-baniyan dozing off on a charpoy. God save Diu if terrorists ever decide to attack Diu. Those police fellows would actually be caught with their pants down
skanchan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 11:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue. Always good to hear about something closer to home!

Just curious, how did your Nano fare at higher speeds? Do the rear passengers feel the heat emitting from the engine placed at the back? Does the engine make a lot of noise at triple digit speeds?
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 12:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

A nice crisp travelogue, I must say. Lions are generally very lazy by nature and spend most of their time sleeping. It is only when they are hungry, they become active.

More than seeing the Lions, you guys have been extremely lucky to be able to see a Jungle Cat. It is the rarest of the rare sightings.

I've been roaming the jungles in the North for the last nine years and have seen Tigers innumerable times, but yet to see a Jungle Cat.

Last edited by gd1418 : 17th June 2013 at 12:47.
gd1418 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 16:23   #28
BHPian

Nice Review Silverado ! And great pictures too ! but i do have a few queries regarding the behavior of your car (being a nano owner myself ! )

1.You said the car was packed to the brim on your trip , I believe the engine is very VERY strained when it has to pull loads , Don't you ? Your FE was a bit less not due to AC , but due to the jam-packed load you subjected your car to IMO.

2. You got to Triple-digit speeds ? How much exactly ? and for how long did u stay at those speeds? Did you notice the engine warning light go on at 100 kmph? This happened to me , the only time my nano was on a highway and was seating 5 people . I just didn't want to take her over 100 when the warning came on ! That sucked , i really thought she can do more :(

3. The rear of the car must have become HOT after a long while , did u check ?
Usually when u place near the Nano rear engine the air around it is hot .

4. And in general please state your views on the car please !

Thank you ,
Amogh

(Hope this is not Off-topic or something )
Amogh Barakol is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 23:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amogh Barakol View Post
but i do have a few queries regarding the behavior of your car (being a nano owner myself ! )

(Hope this is not Off-topic or something )
1.You said the car was packed to the brim on your trip , I believe the engine is very VERY strained when it has to pull loads , Don't you ? Your FE was a bit less not due to AC , but due to the jam-packed load you subjected your car to IMO.

Amogh, please keep in mind the roads that i was travelling, those were flat well paved roads where it was easy to maintain good speeds, there were no ghat sections at all.

Even though you jam pack a car the weight of entire lugagge might not have exceeded 10 -15 kgs.

FE was good enough i guess since i was not driving conservatively.

2. You got to Triple-digit speeds ? How much exactly ? and for how long did u stay at those speeds? Did you notice the engine warning light go on at 100 kmph? This happened to me , the only time my nano was on a highway and was seating 5 people . I just didn't want to take her over 100 when the warning came on ! That sucked , i really thought she can do more :(

On that trip i had touched 100kmph for very brief moments like overtaking.

Engine warning light should come only after 105kmph and it has nothing to do with the amount of people seated in the car.

3. The rear of the car must have become HOT after a long while , did u check ?
Usually when u place near the Nano rear engine the air around it is hot .

Rear must have been HOT, but there was luggage over the engine hence the heat was not felt by rear passengers, anyways never has anyone complained about hot rear bench inspite of my being a 2011 Nano

4. And in general please state your views on the car please !

What more can i say, the car met and exceeded our expectations.
I have being using the car for highway usage mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
More than seeing the Lions, you guys have been extremely lucky to be able to see a Jungle Cat. It is the rarest of the rare sightings.

I've been roaming the jungles in the North for the last nine years and have seen Tigers innumerable times, but yet to see a Jungle Cat.
Thanks , yes the guide also mentioned the same about Jungle cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Nice travelogue. Always good to hear about something closer to home!

Just curious, how did your Nano fare at higher speeds? Do the rear passengers feel the heat emitting from the engine placed at the back? Does the engine make a lot of noise at triple digit speeds?
Thanks , As mentioned above the rear passengers never complained about heat.
My average speeds were 80-90 and Nano has been doing well at those speeds, above 100kmph it would slightly risky.

Gearing is suited to high speeds and hence engine is quite relaxed.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 09:59   #30
BHPian

Smile Re: Saurashtra Road Trip: Sasan Gir, Beaches, Temples and more

Thank you silverado for your opinion on the car . It's true that The Nano fulfills the purpose it was built for . But me being a premium car owner till now , maybe i just have expectations that the car isn't suited for (My Bad! ). You maybe wondering why we have the car in the garage if i don't love it , but believe me ! I had absolutely no idea that we were going to have a new car in the garage till it was actually there!

Anyways , I wish you many happy miles with your Nano !
Cheers
Amogh Barakol is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote