Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 2nd July 2013, 16:06   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: A quick dash to Kodachadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Nice travelogue, Kodachadri and Jog Falls have been in my To Do list for a long time. The rock path seems dangerous during monsoon.
Actually, this path has become a lot more easier now. A few years back, the first 2 kms was just a slippery surface during monsoon, similar to a soap. Now they have made it a lot more easier with small stones and the gravel put on the path to provide more grip. The last ride in 2007, it was literally impossible to ride this path without a slow speed fall. The jeeps rides were few and far between, but now atleast a dozen trips happen on weekends that too during monsoon.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 20:37   #17
BHPian

That's quite an adventure . What was your top speed and what is the distance between the base and top of the hill?
VaahanYogi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:37   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaahanYogi View Post
That's quite an adventure . What was your top speed and what is the distance between the base and top of the hill?
The distance between the base of the hill to the Inspection Bungalow is about 9.5 kms.

On the top speed did 121 on the gps and the average speed of approx 79 kmph.

@Mods: Kindly remove the speed details if its inappropriate.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 14:49   #19
BHPian

You brought back my memories of Kodachadri. I went there as a student with my friends. We trekked all the way to the top, spent the night on the peak. We collected dead trees from the forest and burnt them to keep us warm. It was full moon night and the view of was awesome.
Funda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 15:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Plan to do this in Dec once the rain stops. The idea is look around for all the water bodies. Chakra, Mani reservoirs etc. Lets see how much I can do. Very nicely done nkp.

And of course that kick of being the lone warrior on empty roads!
Yes sir. You should do it in Dec. But would recommend Sept/Oct as the reservoirs will still be full and lovely. Suggest make Tirthahalli as base to explore the region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Actually, this path has become a lot more easier now. A few years back, the first 2 kms was just a slippery surface during monsoon, similar to a soap. Now they have made it a lot more easier with small stones and the gravel put on the path to provide more grip. The last ride in 2007, it was literally impossible to ride this path without a slow speed fall. The jeeps rides were few and far between, but now atleast a dozen trips happen on weekends that too during monsoon.
Thanks nKrishnap for a nice TL. Some more pictures from the summit would have made justice. Please do post if you have any. Yes, the road from Anandapuram - Hosanagara - Nagara was freshly tarred before monsoon. Nice to know they still hold good. Will be travelling in last week of this month on this stretch.
Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 23:06   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Thanks nKrishnap for a nice TL. Some more pictures from the summit would have made justice. Please do post if you have any. Yes, the road from Anandapuram - Hosanagara - Nagara was freshly tarred before monsoon. Nice to know they still hold good. Will be travelling in last week of this month on this stretch.
I do not have the pictures of the summit in this ride as it was raining. I have a few from the previous ride, I will post them if its fine.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 17:50   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindrider2626 View Post
Heard of kodachadri and thought it was in kollur mookambika,Going through the travelogue it dawned upon me that this was a different place by the same name,Thanks for educating me.Cool place and seeing all that pics wish i were 20 years younger,cant think of a bike trip these days.
Kollur is actually at the base of Kodachadri western ghat ranges. Kollur Mookambika temple and Kodachadri are actually nearby. This is one of the routes to Kodachadri/Kollur:
Shimoga - Ayanur - Ripponpet - Hosanagara - Nagara - Sampekatte - Nittur - Nagodi - Kollur
Map: http://goo.gl/maps/yjaKD

Jeeps are available for rent at Sampekatte/Nittur, who take you up to Kodachadri peak and Hidlumane falls.

Last edited by 370Z : 5th July 2013 at 17:53.
370Z is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 11:20   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
nkrishnap : jeep will cost around 1500 bucks for a round trip to the top of the hill.
One Contact for jeep:

Vasu

He has a hard-top 8-9 seater Mahindra.
Charged us 1600/- for the jeep (no co-passengers. If there are any, you can negotiate).

For food, this place Pai Hotel at Sampekatte is nice. It's a small place on the main road as you come into the town from Nagara / Shimoga side.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote