Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 1st July 2013, 19:27   #1
BHPian

Default An unplanned rafting trip to Rishikesh

Story of this travelogue begins with me and one of my childhood friends. While I did my Engineering in India, he went to Australia for the same and is working there now. So, almost every year he comes on a long holiday of a month or so. This story is from March 2012.

One Monday night, I don’t even remember the exact date, I had had dinner by 9 pm and was watching TV when my phone rings, and my friend from the other end enquires about my plans. So after about 20 minutes, the two of us and two more friends are having some late night snacks and chatting in his ‘i20’. We all were getting really bored those days and I joked let’s go to Rishikesh right now (It was around 11.30-12 am).

To my surprise, the three of them agreed.

It was decided we’ll take my Getz CRDi as his i20 was petrol and was needed at his place the next day. We all made a quick stop at our respective homes for a pair of clothes and by 1 am we were on our way to Rishikesh. This was the first time I was starting a journey in a car, at night. The car was driven by the same person throughout, as he had the maximum highway driving experience among us and he himself offered to do so. We made sure that the front passenger was switched in the middle of the journey, so that there were at least 2 people who were not sleeping.
We took a halt at the McDonalds at Khatauli around 3.30-4am and had some food and beverages.

We reached Rishikesh around 7am and then started scouting for a place to stay. But, we couldn’t find rooms in the first 2-3 hotels that we tried as none was available. However, we were told about a budget hotel nearby and went there; unfortunately I don’t remember its name. We slept till 1 pm or so, and then got ready and went to eat and then for rafting, the shortest route, I think, as we didn’t had much time, it was 3.30 pm.

This was the first rafting experience for me and I enjoyed a lot. We even jumped into the river from some height near the ‘Maggi Point’, which is close to where this rafting route ends.

Later, we went to a café, I think it was named ‘Little Budhha Café’ (I’m not sure), and the ambience and food there was good. From there, we went to the hotel and after listening to a variety of songs in the car and chatting and discussing about a lot of things, went to sleep around 1 am.

Next evening, we were back in Delhi to all the rigmaroles of our everyday lives.

I realized one thing from this trip that one should always take holidays to relax and take a break from the monotony of everyday’s routine life. However, even better are these random unplanned albeit short trips that ‘recharge’ one for another bout of – 9 to 5 jobs, losses in business, problems in family and other such things.

I’m waiting for another unplanned holiday experience like this to occur in my life, as the first one was awesome.

Till then, bye and take care.
vishalchaudhary is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 22:36   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: An unplanned rafting trip to Rishikesh

Hello Vishal,

First of all, welcome to Teambhp!

It is really amazing that you guys planned that trip in a split second, literally! However, I wish that you had added some pictures from the trip. A few more details would have not hurt either like the roads you took, the driving experience, car behaviour on the route, FE clocked, road conditions etc. We are all petrolheads, isn't it... hence just like the destination, we enjoy the journey too. They would have certainly made the reading experience more fuller.

Agree wholeheartedly with the fact that unplanned trips are more fun. Most of my trips are also unplanned, but never unorganized.

Expect a lot many travelogues from your handle. Good luck and thanks for sharing!
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 23:54   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

First of all, welcome to Teambhp!

However, I wish that you had added some pictures from the trip. A few more details would have not hurt either like the roads you took, the driving experience, car behaviour on the route, FE clocked, road conditions etc.

They would have certainly made the reading experience more fuller.

Expect a lot many travelogues from your handle.
First of all thanks a lot Sir, so far you're the first one to 'explicitly' welcome me to Team-BHP, ofcourse I can't forget the moderators who approved my membership and 'GTO' who told me about the 'Assembly Line' section, yes another Travelogue (with pictures) is Work-In-Progress, and is expected to come out soon.

Sorry, but I didn't take any pictures on this memorable trip .

Now, the details, I will make sure that from my next travelogue onwards I mention all the details in the starting post -

1.) The FE was not noted down at all, so no idea about that, sorry.
2.) The road conditions were quite good, except the part of the highway without any dividers on the NH-58 which was quite tiring for the friend driving, especially at night with all those headlights on high beam from oncoming traffic.
3.) Getz CRDi feels at home on highways and behaved well, without any issues at all, and the driving experience was good for the friend who was driving (as mentioned in the starting post I did not drive myself). Although, I remember that he suggested that I should upgrade from the stock headlamps as they were and I quote " almost useless ".
4.) We took NH-58 which connects Delhi-NCR (Ghaziabad, to be precise) to Rishikesh and further to Badrinath (I think, not sure).

Thanks.

Last edited by vishalchaudhary : 3rd July 2013 at 00:24. Reason: Deleted some extra text.
vishalchaudhary is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:50   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalchaudhary View Post
First of all thanks a lot Sir, so far you're the first one to 'explicitly' welcome me to Team-BHP, ofcourse I can't forget the moderators who approved my membership and 'GTO' who told me about the 'Assembly Line' section, yes another Travelogue (with pictures) is Work-In-Progress, and is expected to come out soon.
Hey Vishal,

Call me Saket. And I am sure that once you active on the forum, you will get to know some really warm seniors and members. And what to say about the moderators & GTO...I really cannot imagine the time & specially the effort they put towards teambhp to keep it a great place. Hats off to them. I have membership on some other forums too, but I can say without any doubt that Teambhp has the most pro-active moderators. We really can't thank them enough.

Will be waiting for your WIP to get completed soon. Good luck!

Best Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote