Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2013, 13:17   #31
BHPian
 
rahulya007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Thane, Mumbai
Posts: 109
Thanked: 28 Times
Default re: Ladakh Trip Photologue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
akp - So soothing for a mid week morning. I enjoyed all 11 days in one shot. Lovely snaps there, wander thirst! Your Tokina has served well

As you didn't engage 4H anywhere, looks like my Xylo can do it with little extra care? Well, let my kids grow little more older to handle such a long drive. Its too far a drive for Southies.
Jacs,

On my bike trip to Leh last year, I have seen maruti 800 doing the pangong trip with 4 people on board. Xylo on the other hand is much much powerful and with huge ground clearance. If you are otherwise careful about your car and maintain her regularly, then you need not worry about her. You'll see many scorpios, xylos, innovas, taveras along the route in leh.

What you need to worry are the kids and elders who might suffer from AMS symptoms. kids especially as they'll not understand if they are affected.

Jammu-Leh route is still much better for people who you'll fear might get AMS.
I am thinking of a xylo too for the next yr trip.

Regards,
Rahul
rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 14:55   #32
akp
BHPian
 
akp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 315
Thanked: 151 Times
Default re: Ladakh Trip Photologue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
As you didn't engage 4H anywhere, looks like my Xylo can do it with little extra care? Well, let my kids grow little more older to handle such a long drive. Its too far a drive for Southies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
Jacs,
On my bike trip to Leh last year, I have seen maruti 800 doing the pangong trip with 4 people on board. Xylo on the other hand is much much powerful and with huge ground clearance. If you are otherwise careful about your car and maintain her regularly, then you need not worry about her. You'll see many scorpios, xylos, innovas, taveras along the route in leh.
@jacs: As rahul has already pointed out, xylo is more than capable enough. In fact, on the evidence of what I saw on the roads there, xylos probably constitute the largest chunk of taxis in ladakh. The bottomline is, one has to know the limitations of the car + driver combination and drive accordingly. Unless you do that, even a 4x4 is not going to help you when you are pitted against nature.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
wonderful pics.

Where did you stayed in Karzok?
Thanks.

As soon as we entered Korzok, we saw a board: `Nomadic Life Camp'. SS-Traveller had stayed there during his trip and I also read good reviews, so we went straight ahead and booked a room. What I didn't notice was a thin arrow on that board that pointed to the left! So the place we stayed in was actually Tso Moriri Camps and Resorts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Great pics. Which Camera and Lens you were useing. For the pictures by the lake on what ISO was the camera set ?
Canon 500D and 600D with Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 and canon 100 f/2.8 macro USM. Most of the shots are at 100 ISO, but a few towards late evening might have been 200 or 400. Have to check. (The resized files in my laptop that I uploaded to tbhp have all the exif information, but when I download it from the tbhp site, it does not have that exif information any more - otherwise I could have just asked you to check the exif info from the individual files).
akp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 17:20   #33
BHPian
 
yogibear007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 146
Thanked: 54 Times
Default re: Ladakh Trip Photologue

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Canon 500D and 600D with Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 and canon 100 f/2.8 macro USM. Most of the shots are at 100 ISO, but a few towards late evening might have been 200 or 400. Have to check. (The resized files in my laptop that I uploaded to tbhp have all the exif information, but when I download it from the tbhp site, it does not have that exif information any more - otherwise I could have just asked you to check the exif info from the individual files).
Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos akp. Really enjoyable. The Tamron and the Tokina have done wonderful job. I believe some of the sharper ones are from the 100/2.8 right but really enjoyed the wide angle ones.
yogibear007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 21:04   #34
akp
BHPian
 
akp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 315
Thanked: 151 Times
Default re: Ladakh Trip Photologue

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Great pics. Which Camera and Lens you were useing. For the pictures by the lake on what ISO was the camera set ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Canon 500D and 600D with Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 and canon 100 f/2.8 macro USM. Most of the shots are at 100 ISO, but a few towards late evening might have been 200 or 400. Have to check. (The resized files in my laptop that I uploaded to tbhp have all the exif information, but when I download it from the tbhp site, it does not have that exif information any more - otherwise I could have just asked you to check the exif info from the individual files).
Checked - all the Pangong shots are at ISO 100.


Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibear007 View Post
Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos akp. Really enjoyable. The Tamron and the Tokina have done wonderful job. I believe some of the sharper ones are from the 100/2.8 right but really enjoyed the wide angle ones.
Some of the `close up's (e.g first three pictures in post #16) are with 100/2.8 macro, rest are all with Tamron and Tokina.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 14:41   #35
BHPian
 
Top-Gear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 203
Thanked: 112 Times
Default Re: Ladakh Trip Photologue

AKP - Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. Awesome pics. The beauty of the place and the longing in my heart to go there, moistened the eyes! I was speechless. This is one more jewel in the crown of T-BHP travelogues!



Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
No tiring away from reading all those travelogues on Leh, and each time i read one, i tell myself, next year. One day, yes, One day !.
Add me to your club!
Top-Gear is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2013, 22:32   #36
akp
BHPian
 
akp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 315
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Ladakh Trip: videos from Day 10

This was our drive on Day 10:

Ladakh Trip Photologue-ladakhtripday10.jpg

We had a car video camera mounted on the windscreen. Here are some videos from that camera on that day.

Morey Plains:






Around Baralacha La:









akp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ladakh Photologue: Overdrive Independence Day Quattro Drive, 2014 robimahanta Travelogues 23 4th September 2014 13:23
Ladakh ranges viewed from the plane - A Photologue from the Sky! Fauji Travelogues 27 31st March 2011 13:41
"Innova"ted Ladakh: A photologue goandude Travelogues 73 27th July 2010 21:31
Team Raid de Ladakh goes on Ladakh Expedition 2009 MileCruncher Travelogues 156 2nd October 2009 08:23
Leh-Ladakh in my Safari 4x4 -Photologue..July2009 AMAN_SACHDEV Travelogues 45 22nd September 2009 23:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks