Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 11th September 2013, 11:37   #16
BHPian

Arrow Re: Beautiful Ooty Photologue: Live to Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Very good write up and pics Mister_M! Some of the places you have mentioned were missed by us though we went twice to Ooty in the same year.

Waiting for the basics post on the stay and how good/bad it was. Also about the post on the must visit places. Good going and waiting for the rest now!
Thanks Abhi. Ooty has many more "not-so-frequented" spots and I did miss some too. I can slightly smell your next Ooty trip plan; happy that my writing is of some use to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Very good write up and amply supplemented with pics of taste.

I have jotted down my experiences in my own travel report in this forum. The snaps in those will show you a different Ooty than the ones as seen from your pics.

Have you been to Glenmorgan?? The drive is totally totally worth!!
Ahh man, I have missed the Glenmorgan. Your thread really gives a totally different experience on the same places man; mighty nature has so much in store for all of us. Each season narrates a different beautiful story. Kochi to Ooty seems interesting too sir. Guess we must attempt Ooty again, swapping our timelines / seasons next time By the way: Your two little Spidermen were superb, I liked them so much that my little dude also will get this costume soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivaspai View Post
Nice detailed writeup..Thanks a lot . waiting for next instalment
meanwhile a query- what was the duration of the tour inside avalanche checkpost by dept vehicle?what are the timings?what time did you reach and depart? I am asking because I need to plan the time between breakfast and lunch so the we can reach ooty town before restaurants close after lunchtime for the afternoon
Hi Srini, As far as I was informed, there is no "fixed" timing for these Safaris as such. All the 8 vehicles keep plying to-and-fro from morning till evening. We reached there after lunch and had to wait for an hour until an ongoing Safari vehicle returned. Try reaching there for their first slots (may be around 9:00 AM - I am not sure on this point though) where you can avoid delays in waiting. If you are a little large group, book a private SUV from their office (which is not-so-well organised in a "Q" or so). A good "rapport" (hope you g0t what I mean) with the Safari driver can get you deep facts or even a little longer halt at different spots. Once the Safari is over, you can cover the Emerald Dam and surroundings and plan for Lunch in Ooty.

---------

Overall, my humble Sorry for the delay on my next topics, as I am slightly tied up with some hectic official chores; This weekend will be a "Lalu-Civved" inspired Alapuzha trip with my friends (topic for a totally new Travellogue). I shall definitely do justice to this thread soon after that trip

Cheers!
M

Last edited by Mister_M : 11th September 2013 at 11:42.
Mister_M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 22:57   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Beautiful Ooty Photologue: Live to Drive

Nice travelogue Mr.M.

I am planning a trip to Ooty very soon. Want to do that before the winter sets in. I had been there once on a KSTDC package tour. That was a hectic one without any time to relax.

Anyway, your writeup was very informative. Will disturb you for some additional info
iVento is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 10:33   #18
BHPian

Arrow Re: Beautiful Ooty Photologue: Live to Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
Nice travelogue Mr.M.

I am planning a trip to Ooty very soon. Want to do that before the winter sets in. I had been there once on a KSTDC package tour. That was a hectic one without any time to relax.

Anyway, your writeup was very informative. Will disturb you for some additional info

Thanks iVento. Though it is sad to hear about your failed KSTDC package, take it as an opportunity to try out a drive to Ooty; you will definitely cherish the experience! Any time dude, ping me for any info, no worries. I shall definitely help you with all info that I have. Wishing you lots of Good Luck

Cheers!
M

Last edited by Mister_M : 12th September 2013 at 10:39.
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 15:26   #19
BHPian

Hi Mister_M,

A really well written travelogue. I'm planning to visit Ooty in the third week of October.

Would like your views on some of the points noted below:

1. I hate touristy places. I've been to the regular places in Ooty and would like to discover the "untouched" part of Ooty this time. Can you please list down (in your order of preference) few places where crowd isn't a problem?
2. I have heard about some stay options around Avalanche. Do you have any information on these?? If yes, do you recommend them?
3. Is it practical to stay near Avalanche, which is quite far from the city?
4. Is Doddabetta really a worthy place to visit?? Do we miss anything if it isn't visited?

Awaiting your reply.

Regards,
Anant
anantu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 17:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantu2001 View Post
Hi Mister_M,

A really well written travelogue. I'm planning to visit Ooty in the third week of October.

Would like your views on some of the points noted below:

1. I hate touristy places. I've been to the regular places in Ooty and would like to discover the "untouched" part of Ooty this time. Can you please list down (in your order of preference) few places where crowd isn't a problem?
2. I have heard about some stay options around Avalanche. Do you have any information on these?? If yes, do you recommend them?
3. Is it practical to stay near Avalanche, which is quite far from the city?
4. Is Doddabetta really a worthy place to visit?? Do we miss anything if it isn't visited?

Awaiting your reply.

Regards,
Anant
Hello Anant,
There is no place in Ooty as such which is not inhibited by the crowd, but if you ignore, then it is a good experience. Avalanchi would be best to suit you if you want untouched part.
I had a stay in Peak view cottage at Kothagiri, booked through HVK forum. Nice, clean and decent stay. Link http://www.peakviewcottage.com/
Stay options in Avalanchi is here http://redhillnatureresort.com/ On a slightly expensive side, but the buzz in the forum is nothing to beat it. If you are to stay and do nothing else, then you can go to this place. If you have a 4*4, then it is accessibly or else they pick you up from Emerald where you park your ride in their safe keeping and take the Jeep.
View from the Dodda betta is nothing more than any other view points in the Ooty. For a change try to go out of Ooty and explore the country sides.
unk9ja is offline   Reply With Quote