Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 24th August 2013, 22:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart-BEAT View Post
Being my first travelogue and my first post on team BHP, please rate and review and let me know areas of improvement.
Excellent travelog buddy, very well written. If this is how you write with nervousness, I just cannot imagine how you would write otherwise. You have a very good sense of humor.

Cheers
Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 06:43   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Gokrish,

Also how easy it is to bypass these towns? Do they have good bypasses?
If not, does it delay going through the towns? I dont see any on Google.

The NH however seems to bypass Karaikudi though.
Keeranur- this is a small village and we have to pass through the market area without any bypass. There is an engineering college on the way to this village and this village is referred to in a kamalhassan's movie.

Pudukottai- main town is bypassed and we would be required to touch only the outskirts so to say.

Karaikudi- this beautiful town (do we have some name to a place which is just smaller than a city but definitely bigger than a regular town) is totally bypassed. Taking a detour from here will lead us to famous temples like pillayarpatti and kundragudi. However these are optional

Devakottai- this is a small chettinad town wherein the route goes through the town
Gokrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 13:36   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip

well, good to see the trip details covering Tanjore and Rameswaram.
Surprising to see that you have visited Big temple only in that stretch.

But in the restricted time available, there is no other option.

Congrats on your maiden travelogue , and waiting to see more,

regards,

bbhavan.
bbhavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 13:47   #19
BHPian

Thank you Hart-BEAT for posting the TL. Useful information. I was planning to be in Tanjore in the week of August 15th but could not make it. Certainly the information will be useful for my next visit. Cheers
jeetaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 22:13   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Wonderful set of snippets HartBeat.

I enjoyed reading it.
The temples look heavenly as do the beach shots.

I feel a powerful sense of desolation when I see your pictures of dhanushkodi. Those mute reminders of the sheer power of the mighty waters make me realize again that this world began with water and will end with water. Nothing and no one can stand before the unstoppable power of the 'great waters'. I feel a thrill of apprehension for that reason only, when I see that Pamban bridge with the vast expanse of blue water underneath it.

Simple, matter of fact writing like yours has the ability to quietly bring things alive for the reader.

Good work!
Hello Shankar Sir,

Thank you so much for the appreciation. Also, I completely agree with your philosophy on water. As a matter of fact, I was quiet disappointed when I saw the Dhanushkodi and Pamban pics later as they failed to capture even a fraction of the feeling these two places induces in a person. One just have to be there to feel it. On Pamban, on the horizon, the blue colour of the ocean and the sky appeared to merge together making a continuous scenery without a break. I personally feel that no camera or lens man can capture that. Amazing natural beauty.
Hart-BEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 23:08   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
A very neat and crisp travelogue. Good narration for a starter. Keep up the good work.

By the way, if visiting Tanjore temple was in the radar, then the above route was ok. Otherwise, instead of taking trichy-tanjore, you could have taken trichy-pudukottai-thirumayam-karaikudi-devakottai-thiruvadanai-ramnad route. In fact, the route is not only motorable but also offers an insight into our rich cultural heritage at places like pudukottai, karaikudi, thirumayam and thiruvadanai. Corollary to the above, you could have enjoyed Chettinad cuisine too, nonetheless the Tanjore's own offer to tastebuds is great though.
Hey Gokrish,

From one Team BHP newbie to another, thank you very much for you compliments and route advise. I will be making another trip to Rameswaram perhaps later in the year with my other family members who have been to Tanjore before. Hence, I would like to try another route and your inputs would surely be on my planning list then. Thanks again.

hart-BEAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by majumon View Post
Very well written being your first post, I found it very interesting and some lines were humorous too. You are good at writing and your in flight re fuelling took me on a roll of laughter. Except for 2 snaps which were blurred (guess it was due to the moving car) rest are fine and yes you are inspiring me to go to Rameswaram too, have this place marked to visit some time. Thanks for the nice insight into a nice place.
Hello Majumon,

Great to hear that you found my writing humorous and I am glad that the inflight refuelling joke cracked well with you. Apart from automobiles, I like reading about military stuff and tried out this analogy. Coming to pics, yes, I apologize for the poor quality but seems that even the so called shake stabilization in digital cameras is no match for Indian roads. Plus, snapping while cruising comes with a disadvantage that you cant go back for a retake in case it doesn't clicks the first time. So, was forced to share what I had. Lastly, please definitely make a trip to Rameswaram. As the post subject says, its a tryst with religion, nature and history; all together at the same time. Thank you very much for your appreciation.

hart-BEAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Beautifull written - interesting and informative. Great trip you've had there. But you have been miserly with the photos - looking forward for more
Dear Mallumowgli (wow, that is a cool user name!),

Thank you so much! About pics, I was worried that I will exceed 30 pics per post limit in my first post itself; and I would not like the mods to kick me out on my first attempt! Also, I never thought someone will show such interest in them. So as per your wish, I will share more of them in future. Thank you.

hart-BEAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHummerGuy View Post
Excellent narration and the route map is very detailed. Hope I wish to try such a long road trip in India.
Thanks Hummerguy! Great to know that you found the map helpful. This was also my first solo 500+km trip as well (prior to that, the max I had driven was Chennai to Pondi). Please do plan a long trip and let me know if I could be of any help! Thanks.

hart-BEAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
well, good to see the trip details covering Tanjore and Rameswaram.
Surprising to see that you have visited Big temple only in that stretch.

But in the restricted time available, there is no other option.

Congrats on your maiden travelogue , and waiting to see more,

regards,

bbhavan.
Hi Bbhavan. Sharp observation and thanks for understanding the greatest constraint I faced during this trip; time. Nevertheless, at Tanjore, I also visited Maratha palace, Saraswathy library and the museum. I will share them soon as well while meeting the request made by mallumowgli. However, personally, I would like to have more time for a given place whenever I plan future trips. Thanks.

hart-BEAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetaman View Post
Thank you Hart-BEAT for posting the TL. Useful information. I was planning to be in Tanjore in the week of August 15th but could not make it. Certainly the information will be useful for my next visit. Cheers
Hey Jeetaman. Sorry to hear that you had to cancel your trip. Tanjore is a very cool place to be at and I actually enjoyed thoroughly whatever little time I had there at my disposal. In case you need any other information that I can help you with for planning your trip, please let me know. Thanks.

hart-BEAT
Old 26th August 2013, 17:45   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
By the way, if visiting Tanjore temple was in the radar, then the above route was ok. Otherwise, instead of taking trichy-tanjore, you could have taken trichy-pudukottai-thirumayam-karaikudi-devakottai-thiruvadanai-ramnad route. In fact, the route is not only motorable but also offers an insight into our rich cultural heritage at places like pudukottai, karaikudi, thirumayam and thiruvadanai. Corollary to the above, you could have enjoyed Chettinad cuisine too, nonetheless the Tanjore's own offer to tastebuds is great though.
+ 1 to this. The work on the National Highways is almost over till Ramnad. So you can bypass all smaller villages and towns. Great travelogue and Pictures.
Naturalist is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013, 01:38   #23
BHPian

Fulfilling the wish of many of my BHP and Non BHP-ian friends, here are a few more pics of the trip:

MARATHA PALACE AND MUSEUM, TANJORE

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-maratha-palace.jpg

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-tanjore-museum.jpg

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-tanjore-museum-2.jpg

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-tanjore-museum_whale-skeleton.jpg

PAMBAN: A BRIDGE TOO BEAUTIFUL

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-rameswaram_pamban-1.jpg

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-rameswaram_pamban-2.jpg

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-rameswaram_pamban-3.jpg

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-rameswaram_pamban-4.jpg

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-rameswaram_pamban-5.jpg

DAIWIK HOSPITALITY

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-rameshwaram_hotel-exterior.jpg

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-rameshwaram_hotel-interior.jpg

ROAD TO DHANUSHKODI

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-dhanushkodi-check-oint.jpg

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-dhanushkodi-road.jpg

PARADISE LOST

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-abandoned-ticket-counter.jpg

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-abandoned-ticket-counter-2.jpg

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-abandoned-mansion.jpg

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-dhanushkodi-hovercraft.jpg

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-dhanushkodi-sunrise.jpg

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-dhanushkodi-floating-stone.jpg

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-dhanushkodi-two-seas-meeting.jpg

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-dhanushkodi-wild-horses.jpg

RETURN TO CHENNAI

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-road-melur.jpg

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-nh45b.jpg

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-nh45b_2.jpg

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-nh45.jpg

Tryst with Nature, Religion & History: Tanjore and Rameswaram Road-Trip-nh45_2.jpg

Thank you very much for your time. Hope you enjoyed the pics.

Cheers and happy motoring.