Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 2nd October 2013, 12:00   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Thailand 101: Advice, Tips, Planning etc.

Massage in Thailand

Coming back to India and telling someone that you had a nice massage back in Thailand – you are bound to get some nasty looks. Thailand indeed has a ‘naughty’ reputation with respect to this and I realized this after going there. Yes I did have a proper clean massage (stating this to avoid nasty looks!) – In fact I would definitely recommend people to have a proper Thai massage. Please do not go to any shady places or listen to a stranger on the street who offers you a ‘massage menu’. You should ask your hotel manager for a good place to go. I have had a Thai massage in Mumbai too and I did not feel the massage I had in Thailand is materially different from the ones we have in Mumbai.

I had one full body massage and a foot massage for THB 300 and THB 600 respectively. I would recommend going for a massage whenever you feel tired. Normally when we travel, we walk a lot and as a result we get tired quickly. This in fact is the best time to get a massage – once you get it, you will be re-energized and can walk miles again to explore the place. One evening in Bangkok, we were on foot for quite some time and were really tired. Instead of going back to hotel to get some rest, we went for a foot massage and it was really awesome.
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 15:31   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Hi Saanil,

Cheers!
Rohan
I am planning a 3/4 day trip to Phuket with a friend of mine and wanted some tips/suggestions from people here.

1. Which are the must visit places in Phuket? I searched on-line and found a few places like Big Buddha, Chalong Temple, Phang Nga Bay – these are the kind of places I am interested in. Also happy to do some adventure activities at the beach. I do not want to invest any time in shopping!

2. Any tips for booking air tickets to Phuket? I saw on makemytrip that the cheapest fare is from Malaysian airlines (from 28k for a return trip) with the other option being Bangkok airways (c39k). I am flexible to make this trip any time from 20th Dec-4th Jan. Any permutations with the dates which might help in reducing the airfare?

3. Any suggestions for budget hotels in Phuket? I do not need a lavish 5 star room but need a decent room with clean toilets! How much cost should I factor in? Rs 4k per day?

4. I have read that going around the city in taxis is very expensive. I am planning to hire a moped (Google suggested pricing of THB250/day) or plan to use their local rickshaws/tuk-tuk.

5. How much would be the overall cost of the trip (3-4 days)? I do not drink alcohol and do not intend to visit night clubs. I do not need to dine at very expensive places. I am very happy to eat subway sandwiches or noodles everyday (not a foodie at all).

Any tips related to Phuket would be greatly appreciated!
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 15:52   #18
BHPian

I have lived in Bangkok for 19 years almost ( from childhood, I am 21 now :P) and moved to India back only in 2013. So I can be of help too if anyone needs any planning to their trip to Bangkok.

Some Pointers from me:

1. First things first, DO NOT go to Indra market. It is a market no local person goes to because they know it is not the market to go. Indian tourists generally flock there partly because their tour packages bring them there and secondly, they are attracted to the name since its the only one they can pronounce in the beginning of trip. :P

2. For nonveg, street food is a delicacy. For veg, if they need help, they should just ask ahaan che anywhere they feel hungry. Ahaan che means veg food. If the shop wont have, they will be honest. But mostly can make a simple mix veg dish (phad phak rua mit).

3. Pattaya is not the place if one wants to enjoy beaches. It is over crowded with too much mafia and foreign crowd. Too bustling and at times unsafe too. Locals always prefer Chonburi or drive down to Samui/ Koh Chang for the beaches.

4. One has to vary of the fake/real products they buy. I have had friends who ended up buying fake product even though it seemed original and everything. Or it can be refurbished but one can't tell.

5. If you do buy anything over 3-4k baht (dont remember the exact lower limit), always avail the 7% VAT refund as it makes any deal sweeter.

6. Always insist using taxi with meter as I have heard they see indian faces and just not to choose to follow the meter. I had private car so never had to actually sit in taxi much.

7. Do visit the malls once. It might get boring after a while. That's where the street markets come in. Chatu Chak, Bobay market, etc. are good fun to spend time in. Chatu Chak only is open on weekends.

8. When you do decide to buy that fake Rolex watch, do bargain. But once you bargain, please do buy once the shopkeeper comes down to your price. Many Indian tourists bring the price down then just leave it. Thus leaving a sour taste in the seller's mind regarding Indian people.

9. Do visit Siam Niramit show in Bangkok as it is a must watch. A beautiful show indeed.

10. Enjoy the place. Don't worry too much about anything. Have a great journey!
kisharchit is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 10:20   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
I can be of help too if anyone needs any planning to their trip to Bangkok.
Thanks for the useful information kisharchit.
I'm planning my first trip to Thailand with my wife in Late January/ Early February for 2 weeks.
Things I would like to cover:
Nature (Greneery, Oceans, Rivers, Valleys)
EDM concerts
City life (Probably a one-time thing)
Shopping

Please suggest:
Some must-see places, and duration to stay at each place.
Is Jan-Feb, better time to visit?
Any tips for better airfares?
How much should be my budget (2 & 3 star hotel stay)

With your inputs, I will do some research and get back to you.
Appreciate your help!

Thank you!
Baagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 20:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baagi View Post
Thanks for the useful information kisharchit.
I'm planning my first trip to Thailand with my wife in Late January/ Early February for 2 weeks.
Things I would like to cover:
Nature (Greneery, Oceans, Rivers, Valleys)
EDM concerts
City life (Probably a one-time thing)
Shopping

Please suggest:
Some must-see places, and duration to stay at each place.
Is Jan-Feb, better time to visit?
Any tips for better airfares?
How much should be my budget (2 & 3 star hotel stay)

With your inputs, I will do some research and get back to you.
Appreciate your help!

Thank you!
Firstly, I am really sorry for such a delayed response.

Early Feb can be a good time to visit. Just keep a check on ticket prices because its chinese new year then and there will be celebrations. Weather will still be the usual hot. :P

Oceans... Go to the beaches. Not Pattaya again (unless you like commercial places but the beaches there are not the best you can find.) Do some research on the best beaches. Probably near Koh Chang and the likes.

EDM concerts, I can't say. You have to see www.thaiticketmaster.com to see any events. It is the bookmyshow of thailand. :P

City Life... Roam around Bangkok. Go to the floating market. You can visit old buddhist temples and several other things in Bangkok. Use the 3 wheeler tuk tuk and sky train and I guess you'll taste the city life.

Thailand is shopping paradise. More so Bangkok. Malls or street markets, you're covered on that front.

2 weeks is a lot of time for a trip to Thailand. So you can actually see a lot. My tip is if you have 2 weeks, club Bali in your itinerary. It will just complete the whole trip well.

Airfares cant say much.

Budget only of Thailand can be set as 30-40k exclusive of tickets for 2 people for a week. It is a cheap place to chill out.

Tried my best to help out.
kisharchit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote