Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 31st August 2013, 10:40   #16
BHPian

Default Re: A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea

Rohittunga and J Ravi and now you. It seems that Lineas have taken a special liking to Leh, and that too from as far as Bangalore and Chennai. It says a lot about the Fiat vehicles' reliability and of course the drivers temperament as well. 3 cheers to you 3 once again.

Now, nkrishnap, fantastic effort there by you in driving the first sector solo which was really long. I know I could never do it.
wanderer4x4 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 10:45   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Journey Leg 4 - Katra to Srinagar

We had about 280 kms to go to reach the hotel in Srinagar. We decided to start by 9 am to get as much time to enjoy the scenery around and also be prepared for any delays on the highway. We take the Udhampur instead of the Jammu road to save a few kms, however with the rain that pounded Katra the previous evening the road was closed due to landslide. Drove back via Jammu road and reached the Jammu Srinagar highway. Around 11 am we decided to have a brunch at hotel Singh Axis. After the brunch, refueled the car and headed towards Srinagar. A few photos enroute.

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-udampur-1.jpg

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-udampur-waterfall.jpg

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-udampur-falling-stones.jpg

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-udampur-tunnel-work.jpg

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-udampur.jpg

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-udampur-patnitop.jpg

Baglihar Hydro Electric Power Project.

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-patnitop-dam.jpg

The Raging River

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-patnitop-raging-river2.jpg

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-patnitop-raging-river.jpg

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-patnitop-landslide.jpg

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-patnitop-hill-below.jpg

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-patnitop-trucks.jpg

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-patnitop-river.jpg

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-patnitop-falling-stone.jpg

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-ramban-1.jpg

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-ramban-river.jpg

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-ramban_.jpg

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-patnitop-highway-2.jpg

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-patnitop-highway.jpg

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-patnitop-highway-3.jpg

First view of Kashmir Valley

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-kashmir-valley.jpg

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-kashmir-valley2.jpg

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-kashmir-valley-view.jpg

The Green Tunnel

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-kashmir-green-tunnel.jpg

The traffic scenario between Anantnag and Srinagar

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-srinagar-highway.jpg

Reached the Hotel, freshened up and we headed to the Dal Lake to see if we could get a boat ride. However, nobody in the gang was interested for boating. Instead we took a long walk on the Dal Lake banks after a bit of shopping in the government emporium.

Dal Lake at night

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-dal-lake.jpg

After a not so good dinner, it was snooze time.

Journey Leg 4 Map - Katra to Srinagar

A glimpse of Paradise (Leh): 7300 kms, 8 States in a Linea-katra-srinagar-map.jpg

To be contd.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 10:52   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamendangered View Post
Yes, knowing that someone has done it does help, because everyone tries to convince me to not do it (drive for insanely long hours etc), because, to be fair, i dont really have to do it, but for a 'drivaholic' like me I really like doing it.

Im gonna use this as an inspiration and an excuse to break my personal best of 1310 kms in 26hrs.

Cheers.
Do try your luck and be well prepared. Do not go beyond your limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
It took me two driving days (solo) to get from 30km ahead of Jaipur to 40km short of Bangalore (near Tumkur?) - just before the NICE road. You cleaned up most of it in a day - you must have been flying at 120-130 all through

That aside, lovely pics - bring them on faster! Yours is the high GC Linea, right?
The cruising speed was mostly around 90-110 kmph to cover decent distance and achieve good fuel efficiency.

Yes mine is the 2012 version with 185 mm ground clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Holy molly.. you got me hooked on here mate. I am thinking about doing a Bangalore Mumbai road trip and have not been able to muster the courage even though a lot of people have already done it, and here you are flying your way in the Linea through the country. Keep it up man, you are a true inspiration.
Bangalore - Mumbai is definitely doable in a day whichever car it is. Thank you for the note of appreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Volkmann View Post
Another Linea to Leh. Thanks for sharing nkrishnap.

You guys are rocking. Driving, driving and driving. Banglore to Udaipur in 33hours. One must need a lot of energy and concentration for such a long and continuous driving.

Threads like this are very inspirational for doing such a long trip. Very well written. There should be lot more in store for us. Complete it soon.
Have done more of endurance rides and drives so more or less used to this. One more marathon run coming up towards the end of the travelogue. Thank you for the note of appreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Rohittunga and J Ravi and now you. It seems that Lineas have taken a special liking to Leh, and that too from as far as Bangalore and Chennai. It says a lot about the Fiat vehicles' reliability and of course the drivers temperament as well. 3 cheers to you 3 once again.

Now, nkrishnap, fantastic effort there by you in driving the first sector solo which was really long. I know I could never do it.
Rohit and Ravi are in a different league altogether. It will take a while before I come up to their level. As you mentioned the car did perform exceeding well in the hills, better than what I expected. Thank you for the note of appreciation
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 15:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Journey Leg 3 - Amritsar to Katra
We reached at around 6 pm and the hotel guy had come to pick us up. Went to the hotel room, popped a pain killer and myself and my wife went to the bazaar for a bit of shopping. The dinner was ready at the hotel by the time we were back. A tasty dinner and with stomachs full, we crashed on to the bed for a sound sleep.
Krishna, did you climb down from Bhavan on foot or took the pony ? I ask this because we decided to climb down on foot and by the time we reached our hotel room, we were literally dead. I wonder where you got the energy to go for shopping even after popping a pain killer.
rohittunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 15:18   #20
djs
BHPian

Wow, what a trip. Now this is truly termed as "Live to Drive". Amazing and inspirational. Sad to hear that you lost a memory card with pictures. Thanks for sharing the pictures, esp. those of Vaishno Devi ji Shrine. Looking forward for more.
djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 16:13   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Yes mine is the 2012 version with 185 mm ground clearance.
You have the Emotion model.
If I am not wrong, the 2012 Emotion model with 16" rims has 190mm of GC.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 21:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue...bring it mate.

Quote:
Have done more of endurance rides and drives so more or less used to this. One more marathon run coming up towards the end of the travelogue.
What's the maximum kms non-stop drive you have done in one stretch?
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 23:04   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post
Krishna, did you climb down from Bhavan on foot or took the pony ? I ask this because we decided to climb down on foot and by the time we reached our hotel room, we were literally dead. I wonder where you got the energy to go for shopping even after popping a pain killer.
It was by foot. Did not feel much of the pain the same day, it showed up the next day. The shopping was inevitable. Post marriage obligations you see

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs View Post
Wow, what a trip. Now this is truly termed as "Live to Drive". Amazing and inspirational. Sad to hear that you lost a memory card with pictures. Thanks for sharing the pictures, esp. those of Vaishno Devi ji Shrine. Looking forward for more.
Linea and Live to Drive sort of tags along quite well. It simply loves the highways. How I wish, my Linea had a 1.6 MJD under the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
You have the Emotion model.
If I am not wrong, the 2012 Emotion model with 16" rims has 190mm of GC.
Nope, the 2012 versions the 16 inchers too had 185 mm ground clearance. Its the 2013 Tjet version getting 190 mm ground clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Nice travelogue...bring it mate.

What's the maximum kms non-stop drive you have done in one stretch?
Non stop drive I have done in the Linea is Katraj Bypass to Bangalore around 820 kms.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 23:20   #24
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

krishna - Epic stuff, excellent travelogue ! The Leh travelogues are simply irresistible for me , wish I can do it some day.

Superb pictures and good details on road conditions, thanks for sharing

Would also help if you can summarize at the end of your travelogue, the places and hotels where you stayed along with details like tariff, accommodation type and your review.

Last edited by NPV : 31st August 2013 at 23:22.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 23:22   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Would also help if you can summarize at the end of your travelogue, the places and hotels where you stayed along with details like tariff, accommodation type and your review.
Yes, the summarizing part will include all the hotels, route and other relevant details.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 03:52   #26
BHPian

amazing spirit and one amazing drive to remember, I am going to show this to my family and use this as an inspiration for long drives which i have been planning.
Sweet Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 17:51   #27
Team-BHP Support

So finally your trip log comes alive! NH4 is a beauty to drive. Many say its boring. But I find it quite fun, esp after Hubli all the way till Pune Though traffic is chaotic, but the greenery is worth it.
For the NE1, lesser said the better. And of course nothing beats food along these places! Not to mention, Linea is one of the best mile crunchers out there! Great one NKP.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 21:12   #28
BHPian

Bangalore to Udaipur in one go. Thats quite an achievement, hats off to you. Nice write up and a pictorial travelogue. I have done Bhubaneswar to Bangalore a couple of times (once in linea and punto each) but with a lot of breaks and stoppages enroute. You inspired me and i am thinking to do a North east trip on my linea.
Arkesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 02:27   #29
BHPian

Excellent TL and lovely photos. How did the linea perform? Was the gc an issue anywhere during the trip?

Waiting for more..

Best,
TheG2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:09   #30
BHPian

Two years back, I have lit a lamp of hope of driving to the mountains.
Leh TLs are the oil keeping the wick burning.

Ravi sir, Rohit tunga, and of course the legendary HVK sir & the photography mesmerizer Laluks, all of them, all of them, are pouring generous amounts of fuel into my lamp.

And now it's your TL.

I will, someday, I will.

Kudos all of your sirs. And thanks TBHP for keeping my hopes alive
rajwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote