Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 2nd September 2013, 11:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mahabalipuram and Pondicherry : A Recall

The opening post image - Wallpaper material.

Keen to know more about that boat, one can literally stand in there. Unlike the others where the floor is not flat. And, where is the engine?

Beach shacks
Aptly named as Paradise beach.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:42   #17
BHPian

hey thats a good review with enticing pictures!

Can you tell me where is Chunnambar Boat House and Beach? i could not find the exact location using maps.

I must admit however being a chennaite, i have drive many times to pondy but yet to visit auroville. Sometimes you don't appreciate what is nearby and end up looking far! Finally I am planning to do it this weekend inspired by your pictures and review! Thanks for that!
urajkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:34   #18
BHPian

A well written travelogue and great pictures, Dhanush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
Can you tell me where is Chunnambar Boat House and Beach? i could not find the exact location using maps.
Raj, from the Marapalam junction (near Sunway GRT Grand Hotel - Pondicherry), go south on the ECR, towards Cuddalore. Chunnambar Boat House comes up on the left, just before the second bridge on the route. It is a little less than 4 Kms from the GRT Grand.
Name:  922013 40447 PM.jpg
Views: 5914
Size:  105.2 KB

The boat house has a very nominal entry fee. However, the boat ride to Paradise Beach costs INR 150/- per person, and is the only way to acccess that beach. A couple of resorts seem to have private access to the beach, but am not too sure about that. The time you spend at the beach is worth more than the 150 rupees you pay. We were there two weeks back and my family totally enjoyed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
The boat rides take you to a near by beach head. The beach is pretty nice and the overall package with boat ride and the beach was a pretty nice experience

The beach was beautiful and safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post

Keen to know more about that boat, one can literally stand in there. Unlike the others where the floor is not flat. And, where is the engine?

Beach shacks
Totally true! The Paradise Beach is safer and cleaner than other beaches I have seen yet in India (including the popular ones in Goa).

And Parrys, the boat is actually a flat bed mounted on a double hull design. It is powered by a common outboard motor. In one picture, you can see Dhanush's son holding its handle, called a Tiller.
Miel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 17:52   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
When I see all these TL's I suddenly realize the number of places yet to be visited in India (leave other countries)

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Yes. There are places aplenty to see in India. So you better leave all those camels and Arabs aside and come back to India!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Hi Dhanush!

Good narrative supported by exhaustive photography. I said photography instead of photographs, because of your art of capturing even the nitty-gritties. I am from Chennai and had visited Mahabs (as it is fondly known as) in my school and college days. We had this enthusiasm to pay attention to and admire the beauty of this place those days and see double of that now in your travelogue. Probably you can plan to cover pitchavaram, a mangrove forest, near chidambaram in your next trip. This will be further 75 km from pondy and is also famous for a Shiva (Natarajar) Temple.
Thanks a lot gokrish for your kind words.
Pitchavaram waS in my travel schemes on the trip I planned through Chidambaram to Kochi, on my return from Arakkonam. However, that journey did not materialise due to time constraints.
Looking forward to covering that part soon

Quote:
hey thats a good review with enticing pictures!

I must admit however being a chennaite, i have drive many times to pondy but yet to visit auroville. Sometimes you don't appreciate what is nearby and end up looking far! Finally I am planning to do it this weekend inspired by your pictures and review! Thanks for that!
Yes, Auroville is a must visit place. Atleast for the majestic view of Matri mandir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post

Beach shacks
The opening post snap, which you complimented as wall paper material was taken by our fellow bhpian vaisakhr. He is also the established official photographer of all Kochi TBhp meets.
Thanks to him!!!

The boat is actually a catamaran with a floor board fitted atop it like Miel pointed out. The OBM is fitted between the double hull and the direction is controlled by the tiller.
However, we were tarvelling on a normal boat and the snap of my son holding the tiller is actually of the small boat and not the catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
A well written travelogue and great pictures, Dhanush!

Raj, from the Marapalam junction (near Sunway GRT Grand Hotel - Pondicherry), go south on the ECR, towards Cuddalore...

The boat house has a very nominal entry fee. However, the boat ride to Paradise Beach costs INR 150/- per person, and is the only way to acccess that beach. A couple of resorts seem to have private access to the beach, but am not too sure about that. The time you spend at the beach is worth more than the 150 rupees you pay.
The Paradise Beach is safer and cleaner than other beaches I have seen yet in India (including the popular ones in Goa).

And Parrys, the boat is actually a flat bed mounted on a double hull design. It is powered by a common outboard motor. In one picture, you can see Dhanush's son holding its handle, called a Tiller.
Thanks a lot for amplifying the cost and also providing the apt explanation of the boat. I had visited some 8-9 months back and did not exactly remember the fares.
dhanushmenon is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 18:08   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Rajkumar

Chunnambar is 7 km after Pondy on the way to Cuddalore and there is no way that you would miss it. This is just before edayarpalayam on pondy-cuddalore road and do a search for Chunnambar Boar House at google maps.
Gokrish is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 18:20   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. There are places aplenty to see in India. So you better leave all those camels and Arabs aside and come back to India!!

Rolling on the floor laughing reading your comment.

Still rolling
voyageur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 20:51   #22
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If travelling from Bangalore to Pondicherry only, I would suggest krishnagiri - thiruvannamalai- villupuram - Pondicherry.

If travelling to both mahabalipuram and Pondicherry , sriperumbudur route would be better.
But I re-iterate; be careful at the diversion from sriperumbudur and also at vandalur.
If you plot your points on a GPS, there should not be anything to worry.
Thanks. I wanted your suggestion for Bangalore-Mahabalipuram (then drive to Pondicherry from there) so I guess the Sriperambudur-Vandalur route is better except for the confusing part which you've called out.

Given the current conditions of the Krishnagiri-Tiruvannamalai route (there's a dedicated thread that suggests an alternate route via Arcot-Vandavasi) I wouldn't dare try that
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 21:40   #23
BHPian

Excellent travelogue Dhanush, loved reading it and seeing the beautiful photographs to go with it, thanks for sharing !
kannan666 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 22:17   #24
BHPian

Nice snaps. I never knew about the Krishna's Butterball. Seems pretty dangerous, sitting on such a precarious position for years.
Utopian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Dhanush bhai,

I started reading this TL with little bit of anger in mind for your secret trip (escape from Kochi buddies). Then realized it happened in early 2013 and your title says that too. So forgiven .

I like calling this a photologue than a travelogue, good captures as usual and the credit goes to your better half as usual (official photographer of the the sailing family). You have done a good job by calling out the travel tips in your posts. Looks like I got a quick walk through the epic Mahabaratha. Loved the butter ball snap, what is holding that huge stone in an incline .
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 14:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Question Re: Mahabalipuram and Pondicherry : A Recall

A very nicely written travelogue! Something new; I had only heard of this place and not seen much photos before. Pondicherry I had seen somewhere on TV; I think in the show Zaika India ka. Photos are very nice too. Btw, do you get French cuisine in Pondicherry ?
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 20:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Nice snaps. I never knew about the Krishna's Butterball. Seems pretty dangerous, sitting on such a precarious position for years.
Yeah it looks dangerous in snaps. But in real it is not so nasty. But ofcourse, its quite a wonder as to how it stays put for so long!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Excellent travelogue Dhanush, loved reading it and seeing the beautiful photographs to go with it, thanks for sharing !
Thanks kannan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Dhanush bhai,

I started reading this TL with little bit of anger in mind for your secret trip (escape from Kochi buddies). Then realized it happened in early 2013 and your title says that too. So forgiven .

I like calling this a photologue than a travelogue, good captures as usual and the credit goes to your better half as usual (official photographer of the the sailing family). You have done a good job by calling out the travel tips in your posts. Looks like I got a quick walk through the epic Mahabaratha. Loved the butter ball snap, what is holding that huge stone in an incline .
Thanks jacs. If you are saying that the snaps are good, then its a huge compliment for me. My snaps are not anyway close to what you have put in your travelogue of the walk through Kochi.

And for the butterball, in the snap atleast, it looks like me who is holding it in place from falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
A very nicely written travelogue! Something new; I had only heard of this place and not seen much photos before. Pondicherry I had seen somewhere on TV; I think in the show Zaika India ka. Photos are very nice too. Btw, do you get French cuisine in Pondicherry ?
Thanks for your kind words of encouragement.
Yes, you do get French cuisine in Pondicherry. Genuine. They even speak French!!
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 07:30   #28
BHPian

@Dhanush, Thanks for sharing. Excellent travelogue and narration. Brought back many of my memories from my school days to the last time I visited Mahabalipuram in 2008. Very well written about all the places there.

Anyhow I missed the pyramid temple in between. Sure that I will check this next time. Definitely auroville deserves a visit each and every time.

As some one said don't miss Pichavaram (around 70 odd Kms from pondicherry). Boat ride through mangrove forests will me mesmerizing and worth a visit.
Jetta_Volkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 12:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful Dhanush. And excellent snaps too - particularly the ones you had taken during the 'golden hour'. Loved them

btw - did you finish your ooty travelogue?

PS : OT - voyageur is in gelf? i didnt know that
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 12:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Excellent! Rated five star!

Though I have been to these places umpteen number of times, seeing them through your eyes adds a new perspective!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote