Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 14th October 2013, 10:57   #16
BHPian

Default Re: 7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4

Excellent Read !! -- Do let us know if you noticed any difference in handling as your journey progressed through diverse terrains.

cheers
pavan_jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 12:58   #17
BHPian

I'm thinking of driving to Leh from Bangalore this year (2014). Hoping that you would post information on the rest of the days soonish!

TuxDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 11:34   #18
BHPian

Where's the rest of the TLOG, my friend? You can't start off such a cracker of a TLOG, get us all salivating and then come to a dead-end.

Pray, do continue...
rajeevn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 15:25   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
What a wonderful start! Buying a thar to get Leh'd!! Am sure you guys have had a trip of a lifetime. I too plan to do this trip from Bangalore to leh next year in my MM540 and glued to this thread. Lovely pics and please continue the Log.
Hi MadhKris,

I wouldn't recommend you driving down from bangalore to Leh in your MM540. Never ever dream of doing it. I have 540 too and it's simply a NO NO.

I am continuing this thread and shall ensure to complete it asap with more details.
kicksperliter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 15:27   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevn View Post
Where's the rest of the TLOG, my friend? You can't start off such a cracker of a TLOG, get us all salivating and then come to a dead-end.

Pray, do continue...
Hi Rajeev,

Was too bogged down with work and travel. I shall commence the same with immediate effect. Keep looking
kicksperliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 15:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Loved your travelogue. Especially since it was done in the Thar.
Now waiting for the rest of the travelogue. Which make is the front bumper of the Thar?
I have commenced my Thread after a long hiatus. My work and travel commitments kept my mind too busy. To continue this travelogue wanted my mind to be free and cherish those beautiful memories of the drive to write it down. So here I have started to finish this. Thanks for your patience.

The front bumper is customized and you can get it anywhere these days. I had got this from SwastikViji

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Hey kicksperliter,

Eagerly waiting for the rest of your travelogue.

Btw what tires are you running your thar on? Also is there some story behind the change in location of the Hella's. The first picture you have posted the Hellas are below the headlamps on the bumper whereas on top of the bullbar in the rest of the pics.

VVB
As soon as I took the delivery of the Thar, I changed the tyres to Yoko Geolander ATS 255/65/16 as I had plans to have the Steel rims.

These Yoko Geo's were considered keeping both Highway and Offroad drives.

I purposedly didn't wanted MT tyres considering the the plan to drive to Leh in mind.

Moreover, I was worried about brakes of Thar at that point of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Absolutely loving this thread so far!
Been admiring the Thar since the time of its launch, and if there's one way of knowing its reliability credentials, it's a Bangalore-Leh-Bangalore Travelogue.

Really like the rims you've got. Going to search the forum for your ownership review - would love to read about all the mods in detail. If there's a thread you can point me to, it's be great.

Hope the drive was trouble free throughout.
Looking forward to more.
Samarth,

The ownership review will be down to review for all soon. It's been little more than a year and with 25K kms on it's ODO. The THAR's true colors can be revealed Now than when it was new. Isn't it?

Yes. I shall also share the MODS undertaken on this vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_jacob View Post
Excellent Read !! -- Do let us know if you noticed any difference in handling as your journey progressed through diverse terrains.

cheers

Hi Pavan,

You and all would be surprised to hear from me that Thar didn't give me any trouble as I had anticipated. The riding and handling were pretty good on highways and it actually behaved the way I wanted it to.

Out of close to 8000kms drive, I alone have driven 6000kms in this trip.

Yes. There were few niggles which I shall discuss soon as I proceed with the travelogue.
Old 1st April 2014, 15:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post

Hi Pavan,

You and all would be surprised to hear from me that Thar didn't give me any trouble as I had anticipated. The riding and handling were pretty good on highways and it actually behaved the way I wanted it to.

Out of close to 8000kms drive, I alone have driven 6000kms in this trip.

Yes. There were few niggles which I shall discuss soon as I proceed with the travelogue.
Cant wait to hear what's in store. 6000. Wow-Your living the dream buddy.. my dream for sure, can't speak for the rest ... Great to hear you had minor issues, elaborate in detail though. Don't forget Pictures, i am sure you have a Jeepload ! Pun intended !
pavan_jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 15:45   #23
BHPian

It's been a while since I had left this travelogue abrutly without completing.

You might question me, "AWHILE?, Dude its been AGES." Yes and I apologize for that. I have been held up by work commitments, traveling and was "Jailed at my office" for taking a LONG BREAK.

So folks, I wish to continue and do justice to complete this beautiful and Adventurous Journey and complete the same.

Day 6 - Manali - Rohtang - Keylong - Juspa - Sarchu

Post watching Deepika Padukone romancing King Khan in Chennai Expresss train, we headed out for dinner at Mall Road.

While having dinner, we discussed about our upcoming tomorrow's travel plan and backup plan. Actually, we didn't have any backup plan. Most of it were What IF's? and we didn't have answers to most of those IF's.

We had a chilled beer along with Chinese Dinner. (We later learnt that having Chinese Dinner was an bad idea) - Will reveal later.

We promised each other, we shall leave early in the morning to reach our next destination Sarchu, which was our next destination for night stay. While deciding this, back of my mind there was an advise ringing provided by my friend, about NOT HALTING in Sarchu. But made a decision against his advise which one of us had to bear the burnt of this.

The reason, why many won't suggest this route to Leh is due to one's quick travel towards higher altitude and none realizes how soon we climbed such altitudes. The risk is, we would be bogged down by Altitude sickness if you are not acclimatized to altitudes.

The only solution to get rid of this sickness is to get down from high altitudes as quickly as possible. Of-course we were informed about some tablets to (counter the altitude sickness) to be carrying just in-case anyone gets to this sickness.

By this time, we had done with our dinner and time just flew by and we didn't notice it was already 9.30pm. While exiting we had to complete one important checklist, that is to get the diesel tanks full.

Did I just say "TANK's"? Yes. We were carrying 40Ltrs empty CAN in Thar all this while, and never ONCE we had to get it filled until NOW.

The next Journey we were about to endure had many UNKNOWN factors which might soon turn into risks. So this is the time we mitigate at-least one UNKNOWN risk of not having FUEL in middle of NOWHERE. So we tanked up 50ltrs on Thar and additional 40 Ltrs in can.

Now that we tanked up with fuel on Thar along with our Stomachs, we headed back to our cottage and crashed without much drama.

We woke up early, got all of our stuff packed and loaded up our Thar. We did take a break along with few deep breadths while enjoying the view and promised myself that I shall come back with my family the next time

Place where we were holed up in Manali. Apparently, this is the same place my fellow traveler had stayed during his honeymoon trip and since he knew the people we got some discounts as well
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2349.jpg

Me, selecting apples to have them along with us, who knows when we would require.
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2357.jpg

Myself along with my cousin, who was busy checking his backsack to see if he had missed anything. But, I didn't care but to just enjoy the freshness in air
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2360.jpg

Our Monster ride, started to roll to take us to breathtaking locales
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2370.jpg

A view of the river while heading out of Manali
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2374.jpg

Our upcoming destinations
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2377.jpg7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2379.jpg

Few breathtaking shots of View's while we were cruising towards higher altitudes from Manali - Rohtang.
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2388.jpg7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2398.jpg7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2423.jpg

Notice the increase in Altitudes within short distances
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2523.jpg

Cruising towards Rohtang
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2525.jpg7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2528.jpg

No. It wasn't any industrial Smoke, that we encounter in our Cities

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2558.jpg

These were the UNKNOWN Factors one should Consider, as such risks can all of a sudden turn from Low risk factor - LIFE THREATENING RISK Factor. Yes, their have been such incidents.
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2569.jpg

Finally within an Hour's time, we were at Rohtang. But, we were unable to view a thing due to heavy mist at around 10.30am in the morning. Also, we didn't stop as our destination was far away and we wanted to reach Sarchu before Dusk.

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-rohtang.jpg

Presenting a Beautiful View of Rohtang at 10.40AM in the morning.
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-rohtang2.jpg

Rohtang - Keylong - Jispa -Sarchu

Contd...
kicksperliter is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 18:03   #24
BHPian

Rohtang - Keylong - Jispa -Sarchu

Post Rohtang, the Drive was Slow. The reason being visibility of the road which had reduced drastically. There was a cold and chillness all around us while we were driving towards Keylong.

If you want to understand what I am trying to say, then I think, these below Pictures will do the right justice.

A view from inside the cabin. The visibility was reducing.
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2575.jpg

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2577.jpg

At this point, I can firmly say, we were above the clouds. Some say this feeling as OVER THE TOP (Not just TOP)
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2578.jpg

And immediately my friend said, "Bro, we are not there YET" which was true.
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2583.jpg

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2582.jpg

We stopped for a while and rolled down the windows and stepped outside, only to RUN back and board the Thar to get out warm cloths.

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2588.jpg

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2593.jpg

The expressions on our faces says how cold it was outside
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2595.jpg

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2606.jpg

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2599.jpg

As we were approaching Keylong, there was a contrast in the surroundings and environment. All this while, we have seen greenery around us. Now, its time for change in the landscape.

And it was not just the landscape that changed, along with it there was a change in altitude, there was a change in fuel consumption of the vehicle (Yes. Thar was giving me a mileage of 10-11kmpl on an avg in highway and now the fuel consumption was just 7kmpl - 8kmpl), there was a change in our behavior too. Behavior? Ah yes. Will depict them in pics as we progress.

For one to understand the phrase "Change in Altitude", I believe this pic depicts what I am trying to mention.

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2629.jpg

We were driving without much hassles and there was NO DRAMA till we reached Jispa passing through Keylong. We didn't halt at any places yet. So it was just driving and enjoying the beautiful locales. Since, we didn't stop anywhere we couldn't take much photos. And if we did take one, it was only through our Mobiles.

Before we spotted a change in the surroundings, we stopped to take just a snap of Thar on greener pastures.

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2642.jpg

Changed Landscapes

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2670.jpg

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2676.jpg

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2681.jpg

Do we see a SHORT CUT OFFROAD to reach the GOOD ROAD. And as usual, being an Offroad enthusiast, I wanted to GUN my able Thar with 4x4 engaged. My excitement was ripped apart by my fellow travellers.

One should learn to accept the fellow travelers view while travelling together. Respect each other and their views. Seek advise. Take collective decisions which will ensure your drive is memorable.
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2683.jpg

And YES. I respected his advise.

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2684.jpg

Thandi Bridge before Keylong

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2692.jpg

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2695.jpg

SBI Keylong WELCOMING us to Keylong with FULLY Computerized
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2703.jpg

Alas! we were at Keylong.
Attached Thumbnails
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2689.jpg  

kicksperliter is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 09:48   #25
BHPian

Quote:
By this time, we had done with our dinner and time just flew by and we didn't notice it was already 9.30pm. While exiting we had to complete one important checklist, that is to get the diesel tanks full.

Did I just say "TANK's"? Yes. We were carrying 40Ltrs empty CAN in Thar all this while, and never ONCE we had to get it filled until NOW.
Anything in specific ? Jerry Cans? Any special extra mounts to keep them ?
Old 2nd April 2014, 14:27   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxDiesel View Post
Anything in specific ? Jerry Cans? Any special extra mounts to keep them ?
Nothing in specific was considered prior planning. Yes, we thought of Jerry Can's, but the capacity of Jerry Cans were limited and I was looking at something close to 40Ltrs and wanted to carry just one.

We had constructed our new house just couple of years back and the polish/thinner cans were at home. Picked one of them, cleaned it many times and issue was resolved.

Name:  images 1.jpg
Views: 2554
Size:  10.5 KB

The outer casings of these can's are much thicker than any Jerry cans I had laid my hands on. These were leak proof as well. (Pic is not the exact image of the can I carried, but similar)

You will be surprised to know when and where we used the diesel, which we had filled in Manali.
Old 2nd April 2014, 14:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Nothing in specific was considered prior planning. Yes, we thought of Jerry Can's, but the capacity of Jerry Cans were limited and I was looking at something close to 40Ltrs and wanted to carry just one.

We had constructed our new house just couple of years back and the polish/thinner cans were at home. Picked one of them, cleaned it many times and issue was resolved.

Attachment 1225930

The outer casings of these can's are much thicker than any Jerry cans I had laid my hands on. These were leak proof as well. (Pic is not the exact image of the can I carried, but similar)

You will be surprised to know when and where we used the diesel, which we had filled in Manali.
Thanks! My biggest concern is fuel as of now. Waiting eagerly to know when you used the extra diesel.
Old 2nd April 2014, 16:16   #28
BHPian

Day Continues with Our drive to Sarchu

We started to realize that our travel time has increased and we were driving slow. It was not that we weren't gunning the pedal to accelerate, but we just couldn't pick up the speed.

I checked at the vitals of the vehicle, everything seemed good. We tried revving it up, but I could figure out there wasn't enough pull. We stopped at one place to check the engine bay. Everything was OK. This is when I just thought about the Radiator mesh. Is it due to mesh? One would be perplexed what's it had to do with it. The mesh reduces the airflow to the radiator and at such altitudes air would be thin and might affect the performance.

Somehow thought this might be the cause and removed the mesh and started our Journey.

You would be surprised to know, there was an immediate effect post removal of the mesh, Thar started to behave normally with enough pull and the engine was as responsive as it used to be.

Yeah. Little things do have an impact.

Photolog's to continue

A FROZEN Glacier representing contrast FROZEN INFERNO within US
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2733.jpg

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2734.jpg

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2738.jpg

At this time my Cousin wanted to have FULL view, so he sat over the Bonnet braving the COLD, though his bums were getting heated up We drove for an hour or so with him on the bonnet and me enjoying the landscapes by driving slow.

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2746.jpg

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2747.jpg

About 30kms before Jispa, we spotted another group of Adventure enthusiasts cycling all the way to glory. This group of Indian Citizens were cycling from Delhi to Leh with support vehicle and it truly was a commendable task to achieve. Kudos to them

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2748.jpg

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2749.jpg

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2753.jpg

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2754.jpg

We spotted another group of Campers few KM's outside Jispa. Truly blissful locales to camp
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2763.jpg

At this point of time, we had our Lunch, which was Maggi noodles served Hot with Hot Tea.

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2769.jpg

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2778.jpg

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2796.jpg

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2804.jpg

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2805.jpg

So far, the journey was without any drama. Not that we wanted any, but we had assumed, we would encounter quite a few en-route.

Little did we know, that we are soon gonna encounter one.

My Friend who was resting at back, was slowly getting altitude sickness, which we didn't realize until we reached Sarchu.

The Beginning of sickness?

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2810.jpg

Continuing towards Sarchu.

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2816.jpg

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2829.jpg

We came across few such loops, were we took the shortcuts. Why, because we were in THAR
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2831.jpg

Contrasting shades of the Landscapes
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2834.jpg

Now this is the moment of Pride I felt and Ofcourse I was very much. A tourist wanted to take a snap of Thar
7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2846.jpg

While we were heading further, we noticed a snow by the sides of the road. My cousin was so excited he wanted to go back to take a closer snap. For this snap, Thar landed OFF the Road, which was difficult for it to get out, as the front IFS was scrapping the road. Want to see? Check the pic.

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2882.jpg

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2884.jpg

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2886.jpg

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2887.jpg
kicksperliter is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 18:16   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Day Continues with Our drive to Sarchu

So far, the journey was without any drama. Not that we wanted any, but we had assumed, we would encounter quite a few en-route.

Little did we know, that we are soon gonna encounter one.

While we were heading further, we noticed a snow by the sides of the road. My cousin was so excited he wanted to go back to take a closer snap. For this snap, Thar landed OFF the Road, which was difficult for it to get out, as the front IFS was scrapping the road. Want to see? Check the pic.
Without any drama did you say????? That last pic of the Thar really looked scarry. Hope the vehicle didnt take it badly on its underbelly?
Sandy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 18:13   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
is there some story behind the change in location of the Hella's. The first picture you have posted the Hellas are below the headlamps on the bumper whereas on top of the bullbar in the rest of the pics.
+1 to this Question. Nice Travelogue!
ashishy is offline   Reply With Quote