Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 5th April 2014, 08:07   #31
BHPian

Default Re: 7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
Without any drama did you say????? That last pic of the Thar really looked scarry. Hope the vehicle didnt take it badly on its underbelly?
Hi Sandy,

It sure did look scary when I came out of the Thar to check it out. It was my mistake as I didn't look at the rear to check where I was headed while reversing.

I just couldn't take the vehicle out in 2WD mode.

Co-incidentally there were a group of Bullet riders who stopped by took a video and posted in Youtube too to showcase all how Thar got stuck.

They frantically came and said there's a truck coming and we will pull the Thar out. I smiled and said, Thanks but not required. They were not sure why I said that.

I then used my 4WD and voila Thar rolled out with GRACE. You would be surprised the video of the Thar which was uploaded by them had been removed

And NO. My Thar is protected with many underbelly guards including a Clutch pipe guard to diesel tank guard, diff pumpkin guard. So totally protected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
+1 to this Question. Nice Travelogue!

Hi Ashish,

The Hella's were actually placed on the bull bars till Jispa. The clamps got cut due to vibrations due to rough roads and got cut. We were travelling with Just one Lamp for some time.

The below pic shows one Hella missing.

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-img_2661.jpg

At one stage, We became more worried and these Hella's were very important for our journey, as sometimes our drives used to stretch a lot into nights (if you have noticed before).

We came across a welder outside of Jispa and got these Hella's fitted onto bumpers.

We continued our journey till we reached bangalore with Hella's on the bumpers. The lights focus were not as good as it used to be but these additional lights comes in handy.
kicksperliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 13:24   #32
BHPian

kicksperliter, any information on accommodation and food expense from Chandigarh - Leh - Chandigarh ? Would like to have a general idea on how much it costed...
TuxDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 13:41   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxDiesel View Post
kicksperliter, any information on accommodation and food expense from Chandigarh - Leh - Chandigarh ? Would like to have a general idea on how much it costed...
Hope this might help you. This is just part of my Expense Log. You can ping me if you need the hotel details. But, there is a better place to check for accommodations in this route. All you need to do is check with HVK's 501 initiative.

I didn't take those services, as I wanted to explore myself with respect to accommodations and it was done on the fly basis.

7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4-untitled.jpg

I do maintain the expenses sheet to track where my money was flowing.

This trip had no limits though as we thought this as once in a lifetime trip. I can't think about doing same route with same enthusiasm again.
kicksperliter is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 13:47   #34
Senior - BHPian

Excellent travelogue and pics.Above all got to see a tastefully modded Thar.How did the AC perform with the soft top?Care to share the make,size and cost of the rims.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 7th April 2014 at 13:54.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 14:38   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Excellent travelogue and pics.Above all got to see a tastefully modded Thar.How did the AC perform with the soft top?Care to share the make,size and cost of the rims.
Thanks Rakesh. Drive from Bangalore - Delhi was done mostly with AC on (almost for 70% of the drive). AC was excellent for the front passengers and since the 3rd passenger seat at rear was in center, the AC was good if not bad.

Only time I felt the AC wasn't working was, while we were driving in Punjab and Rajastan. Add to that, the outside temp was too high. I shall give the details as we progress in the travelogue.

These are Steel RIM's of 16" in size. A set of 5 costed me around 30K back in 2013 January.
kicksperliter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 14:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post
Thanks Rakesh. Drive from Bangalore - Delhi was done mostly with AC on (almost for 70% of the drive). AC was excellent for the front passengers and since the 3rd passenger seat at rear was in center, the AC was good if not bad.

Only time I felt the AC wasn't working was, while we were driving in Punjab and Rajastan. Add to that, the outside temp was too high. I shall give the details as we progress in the travelogue.

These are Steel RIM's of 16" in size. A set of 5 costed me around 30K back in 2013 January.
Thanks for the info,about the AC the high Ambient temperature+ the radiator mesh (as the condensor was not getting enough air to cool the gas) played spoil sport
Looking forward for the rest of the trip logs.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2014, 20:36   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Hope this might help you. This is just part of my Expense Log. You can ping me if you need the hotel details. But, there is a better place to check for accommodations in this route. All you need to do is check with HVK's 501 initiative.

I didn't take those services, as I wanted to explore myself with respect to accommodations and it was done on the fly basis.

Attachment 1227568

I do maintain the expenses sheet to track where my money was flowing.

This trip had no limits though as we thought this as once in a lifetime trip. I can't think about doing same route with same enthusiasm again.
Thanks! Waiting for the rest of the travelogue...☺
TuxDiesel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 13:25   #38
BHPian

Very well documented ! I wish you had gotten a video of the biker gangs expression when the Thar pulled out on 4x4 ! That would have been priceless !! Looking forward to the rest of your travelogue.

Cheers
pavan_jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 19:23   #39
BHPian

Dear Kicksperliter,
What a travelogue man and what great pics of your Thar.
Have booked a Rocky Biege Thar myself.
Your travelogue is really inspiring me to take this journey.
Have been glued to your thread.
Dude you gotta complete it man.
You have me sitting on the edge of my seat.
Do post some more pics soon.

Regards,
Namo.
NamoJain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 21:28   #40
BHPian

Quote:
This trip had no limits though as we thought this as once in a lifetime trip.
Well said. I am planning August 30th. 2 weeks. I don't intend to go overboard but at the same time I don't want to live with regret 'may be I should have done this'.
Traveller Nayak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 13:06   #41
BHPian

I shall be completing the thread soon. It's just that, I am stuck with too many things going around with me, both personal/work commitments.

Also various sittings are taking place finalizing on my 2014 Tri-Nation Road trip on my Thar.

This year October, we will set road on fire traveling EAST in Thar. Driving to Bhutan/Sikkim/Nepal via Silk Route of India. Plan is to venture Kaziranga as well.

I shall not hold this travelogue anymore. I am making myself free in coming days and shall complete the entire trip log. The coming days log would be more interested than what we have travelled so far.

Please bear with me, and surely deliver.
kicksperliter is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 17:31   #42
BHPian

Post Re: 7939 Kms, 2 Different Routes, 10 States and 1 Thar 4x4

"Please bear with me, and surely deliver"

Now that does sound like an IT Project Manager committing to complete a task on time.

Excellent Travelogue dude, I have been a silent reader all this while and am glued to my seat to know what happened next, I also want to get out of daily routine and do something like you just accomplished.

I am particularly interested in your steel rims, could you please share some information on the make of the rims and cost?

Keep it coming and happy motoring!
pillaian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 22:16   #43
BHPian

Wow!, kicksperlitre, that has been an amazing travelogue so far. I can't wait to learn what happens next!!. The pictures of the Thar are simply awe inspiring.
I know what my next vehicle is gonna be.
In anticipation of the rest of your adventure...
alphadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 15:09   #44
BHPian

Amazing travelogue, full of spirit and inspiration. Thanks for sharing! Would love to read the rest of it!
JASMEET MATTOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 18:50   #45
BHPian

Few folks might be cursing me for not completing it. But trust me folks, I have been so damn bogged down with TOO MUCH work with new high $ Value projects, I get barely few free time . The free time I get, my year and half son's deeds and his play takes the rest of the time from me.

The rest of the Journey had been quite amazing and truly an experience. I shall get some time off tomorrow being 4th of July weekend and hopefully will fulfill my desire to complete this travelogue.

Why am I so Busy? I have planned vacation of about 20 days coming during the crucial time of the Project timeline, where I will be headed to Nepal, Sikkim and Bhutan ROAD TRIP. And yeah, it would be in my THAR CRDE, which is getting prepped to go on for another 8000+kms of drive from Bangalore.

So to ensure I meet my timelines, it's been quite an hectic days.

Please bare with me, I shall surely deliver the rest of the journey.
kicksperliter is offline   Reply With Quote