Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 17th September 2013, 12:34   #61
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

Awesome one Satya,

And looking at all around drive as a single driver (hope your wife also know driving) its really inspiring, Am sure you have caught lot of breathtaking photographs too !! Rated 5*

i wanted to do a similar (Chennai ~ Ladakh ) trip with friends and ended up with drop outs and now its not possible for me being alone,

I would definitely do on next year (most likely with mahindra adventure team)

Cheers
trtraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 13:09   #62
BHPian

Default Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

Similar to almost everyone else that commented on this post which I read in 1 sitting, you experience has left me jaw dropped. A friend and a few cousins have been planning this for a long time, but usually as the day approaches, there are excuses and the trip gets cancelled (4th time now).

Thankfully my cousin has picked up an XUV and based on your experience we may be using the same vehicle and we do plan to do a similar trip in the summer.

Thank you for sharing and very well penned.
stumpz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 14:45   #63
BHPian

Default Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtraj View Post
Awesome one Satya,

And looking at all around drive as a single driver (hope your wife also know driving) its really inspiring, Am sure you have caught lot of breathtaking photographs too !! Rated 5*

i wanted to do a similar (Chennai ~ Ladakh ) trip with friends and ended up with drop outs and now its not possible for me being alone,

I would definitely do on next year (most likely with mahindra adventure team) Cheers
Thanks trtraj.. Indeed my wifey knows driving.. But she played the role of an excellent navigator in this trip as I was clear that every single km will be driven solo by me

All the best for your trip..

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpz View Post

Thankfully my cousin has picked up an XUV and based on your experience we may be using the same vehicle and we do plan to do a similar trip in the summer.

Thank you for sharing and very well penned.
Thanks Stumpz. XUV will not let you down.. so pls proceed. All I can tell you is dont postpone this trip because someone didn't come. The experience will simply leave you speechless for days. It is un-paralleled.so, go for it.
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 17:11   #64
BHPian

Sathya, you are a true Dabangg motorist. Courage,perseverance,meticulous planning,confidence,softness for mother nature & its protectors and driving skills are amply demonstrated after reading your beautiful narrative.

Few things I would like to know about XUV500 because I became its proud owner last December & recently undertook a maiden trip of 3300 kms to UP, Bihar & Jharkhand from Noida. Needless to say, I am in love with the car.

1. How did the GPS function in Leh & beyond?
2. Were the tiretronics stable after so many bumps?

Also, it would be very helpful if you can share a list of must 'dos' and must 'avoids' for an arduous trip like this.

Congratulations to you and your wife! It would be enthralling to hear her side of story as well
mkbksc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 17:29   #65
BHPian

And, I forgot to add that it felt proud to know that Indianoil tankers positively way-laid you at Rohtang pass.

I work in IndianOil. I am sure Indianoil would have + touched you in other places as well. No pun intended.
mkbksc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 19:52   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbksc View Post
Few things I would like to know about XUV500 because I became its proud owner last December & recently undertook a maiden trip of 3300 kms to UP, Bihar & Jharkhand from Noida. Needless to say, I am in love with the car.

1. How did the GPS function in Leh & beyond?
2. Were the tiretronics stable after so many bumps?

Also, it would be very helpful if you can share a list of must 'dos' and must 'avoids' for an arduous trip like this.

Congratulations to you and your wife! It would be enthralling to hear her side of story as well
Thanks buddy. Mine is a W6 variant - so no inbuilt GPS and tyretronics.. sorry..

Some tips, that I followed which helped ME.

Must DO's -
1.Take it slow, don't plan for 1000+kms every single day; your being alert on the road is EXTREMELY important. Once in a while is OK.
2. Sleep well everyday - very very important for you to stay alert.
3. Carry a lot of water and adequate food supplies. I carried 36 bottles of 1L water bottle.
4. DO NOT underestimate AMS.. Give your body a little time to acclimatize. Very critical for Leh internal circuits. We are "NOT" MAN of STEEL.
5. Cruise relaxedly most of the time - over speeding in every sector makes you mentally very tired.
6. Make hay while the sun shines - never postpone or delay your start. You never know how things will change later the day. and more importantly water crossings become deadly as the day progresses.
7. Definitely take your sun glasses. It becomes very hard there without sunglasses - you are facing the sun at 15000+ ft above the sea level.
8. Have all information about the nearest Service Centers and all emergency numbers.
9. Must have a BSNL or AIRTEL connection at Leh.
10. Must have a tow rope in case of emergencies.
11. Have good winter clothing.. Its going to be biting cold at off beat places like Hanle.. Tso Moriri etc., When I went it was -5C and you do not get heaters there!
12. Dont use your buffer days upfront. Save them for the unforeseen situations.
13. Have all vehicle related aids in place - hydraulic jack, tyre inflators, spare nuts and bolts etc., etc.,
14. Spend atleast a few weeks in planning. It really helps and mentally prepares you.
15. ABOVE ALL, RESPECT NATURE. REMEMBER WE ARE AT ITS MERCY THERE.

What I avoided -
1. Night travel (atleast within Leh)
2. Strict NO NO to Alcohol
3. Over eating - already we will gasp for breath in high altitudes (Atleast I did) - over eating adds fuel to the fire
4. Avoid any stunts phisically and with the vehicle. The motive is to do the trip without issues and not to prove that we are heroes.
5. Never engage in fights with local taxis.. They are ruthless. There is no harm in just ignoring and moving on even if the mistake is on the other person.. Peace of mind is important!
6. Overspeeding within Leh circuits is a strict NO. The roads are very uneven sometimes. Even SUVs take aweful hits at the nose due to sudden dips.
7. DRIVE VERY CAREFULY IN SLUSH esp. when you are facing the cliff. You never know when you can lose traction and fly out! I almost did that once.

Will check with my wife to see if she can put together a few paragraphs of how she felt during the trip. Actually a good idea to see her perspectives!

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 17th September 2013 at 19:55.
Sathya_sc is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 20:13   #67
BHPian

Woah! Epic Travelogue with good photography and description. Now I know how stupid I am to get tired and crib about for journeys 1/5th the size of yours. A very challenging yet joyous experience. I plan to go to Leh sometime in the future too. Sir, BTW is Hawk 4X4? If not, did you face any problems with it not being one? I plan to buy a Range Rover and complete this journey in that baby (Dreaming) . Anyway, congratulations. After the journey, did you face any new rattles or niggles with the car (I hope not) and did you get your Tyres, suspension and axle checked, especially after that unfortunate incident with the crater on an otherwise decent road.
prakhar1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 20:24   #68
BHPian

You just lived an Enthusiast's dream Brother. Heartfelt congratulations for the whole thing you just (ad)ventured into. A special applause and appreciation to your better half for walking along this enjoyable madness.

This is truly inspiring and encouraging. It sure throws some light into people like me who badly want to do the same thing but for some reasons unable to execute what you just accomplished. Thanks for the excellent write up and info's.

I think it was great of you to have put all your faith into your Mahindra Xuv. I was considering the Skoda Yeti because its a good highway car and almost 70% of the trip would be highways. The 4x4 variant of it could do a half decent job with the bad terrain but the reliability and emergency service access would raise some doubts within. I presume the same would be the case with a Merc ML 250 or an Audi Q5 right. What I observe is that it is best to pick an Indian Suv (Mahindra Xuv / Tata Safari / Toyota Fortuner) as only these 3 would have access to service or recovery in case of a breakdown.

Iam looking forward to getting more inputs from you when I start to finalize the plans. It would be great to learn from you coz it would be only me and my and a 7 year old son all the way.
kar.carthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 22:30   #69
BHPian

Fantastic Trip. Booking marking this page, Will check back with you for more information as I get closer to my travel. Could you please list out the hotels you stayed and the room tariff.
ajitsank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 09:44   #70

Sathya- Thanks for posting this amazing experience!!! I am sure you will cherish every each and every part of this wonderful journey all your life. I am sure this is just the beginning and there are many more to come! This is just the right inspiration for all of us to venture into some sort of long trips.
This is a again a test of Man-Machine and all were winners here. It's great to know that all you thoroughly enjoyed each part of it. I wish you all your future trips too! Keep posting!
sajin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 12:15   #71
BHPian

Great TL and amazing pictures Sathya.
It must have been a great experience to have lived this dream. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 12:48   #72
BHPian

Wow.. it was a epic journey. Congratulations.
In June with the help, guidance of of HVK Sir, we drove to Bhubaneshwar from Mangalore. He is just amazing.
B.R.S.Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 22:14   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
BTW is Hawk 4X4? If not, did you face any problems with it not being one? I plan to buy a Range Rover and complete this journey in that baby (Dreaming) . Anyway, congratulations. After the journey, did you face any new rattles or niggles with the car (I hope not) and did you get your Tyres, suspension and axle checked, especially after that unfortunate incident with the crater on an otherwise decent road.
Thanks prakhar. Nope, my Hawk is a 2WD - FWD. This trip must be a piece of cake for the Range Rover. All the very best sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar.carthik View Post
I think it was great of you to have put all your faith into your Mahindra Xuv. I was considering the Skoda Yeti because its a good highway car and almost 70% of the trip would be highways. The 4x4 variant of it could do a half decent job with the bad terrain but the reliability and emergency service access would raise some doubts within. I presume the same would be the case with a Merc ML 250 or an Audi Q5 right. What I observe is that it is best to pick an Indian Suv (Mahindra Xuv / Tata Safari / Toyota Fortuner) as only these 3 would have access to service or recovery in case of a breakdown.

Iam looking forward to getting more inputs from you when I start to finalize the plans. It would be great to learn from you coz it would be only me and my and a 7 year old son all the way.
Thanks Carthik. Definitely I will help you with what I know. And in my honest opinion, in this terrain, Indian vehicles will give more peace of mind because of ease in serviceability and reach. Of course, within the Inidan vehicles, you must choose the MOST reliable one.

But, all vehicles you have mentioned here are great ones.. its just that - if something goes wrong (which is most unlikely), whats the fall back plan. Indian vehicles get a brownie point here.. Strictly my opinion. I may be totally wrong also.

And, all the very best for your trip. I will be a life changing exp. for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitsank View Post
Fantastic Trip. Booking marking this page, Will check back with you for more information as I get closer to my travel. Could you please list out the hotels you stayed and the room tariff.
Thanks ajitsank. For hotel bookings and great prices, HVK sir helped me out. I will try to compile a list of hotels by this week-end. But there is no use in sharing the tariff since you may not get the same tariff (as I mentioned earlier, HVK sir helped me to get good rates, because of the network he has). All credit to him for guiding me and helping me out in each and every stage of this travel. All the best for your trip. If I can be of any help in your trips preparation / sharing any tips, pls let me know and I will be glad to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajin View Post
Sathya- Thanks for posting this amazing experience!!! I am sure you will cherish every each and every part of this wonderful journey all your life. I am sure this is just the beginning and there are many more to come! This is just the right inspiration for all of us to venture into some sort of long trips.
This is a again a test of Man-Machine and all were winners here. It's great to know that all you thoroughly enjoyed each part of it. I wish you all your future trips too! Keep posting!
Thanks Sajin. Yes, indeed this trip is a contest to Man and his machine. and after this trip, Gujarat and Rajastan seems very near for me and doable in just 2 - 2.5 days! I was thinking to plan Rann of Kutch in now just 8 days! (4-5 days of leave)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.R.S.Rao View Post
Wow.. it was a epic journey. Congratulations.
In June with the help, guidance of of HVK Sir, we drove to Bhubaneshwar from Mangalore. He is just amazing.
Yes BRS Roa. He is truly amazing and for that fact, the threads here like Tanveers and others are all very inspiring. HVK sir is an Indian GPS.. He knows our highways byheart! Hats off to him.

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 18th September 2013 at 22:16.
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 10:36   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazing travelogue Sathya. Loved every bit of it. The water splashing pic, the straight road ones have come out excellent.

Thanks for sharing.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 11:49   #75
Senior - BHPian

Awesome travelogue Sathya, I know you were almost about to join us and unfortunately we could never meet up in Leh. Next time we should keep in touch in case we are on a road to the same place at the same time Loved the Do's that you have posted, absolutely spot on.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote