Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2014, 11:44   #121
Senior - BHPian
 
TaureanBull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 311 Times
Default Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

Folks!

Just a suggestion that the further discussion on Leh-Ladkah visit should be further discussed on this thread for benefit of all:-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ate-guide.html (Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide)
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014, 13:08   #122
BHPian
 
lovecars21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Asansol
Posts: 150
Thanked: 765 Times
Default

Superb narration and excellent photography. What an experience it must have been for you and your wife!
Gathered lot of information from your t-log and wrote them in my notebook as I am preparing myself for the drive of a life time. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.


Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
lovecars21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 18:59   #123
BHPian
 
harryskt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 63
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

Sathya,
An amazing post. I have a Honda Jazz and am considering an SUV under 20lakhs INR. I am considering XUV 500. Me and my wife love the Fortuner but its way above our budget. XUV is the only other SUV (of course in a lower segment), that has some appeal to me.
After reading this post, I have become more confident of the capability of "THE HAWK".
How much did it cost you in Chennai, OTR?
harryskt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2014, 22:03   #124
BHPian
 
Sathya_sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 531
Thanked: 643 Times
Default Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretooth911 View Post
Very nicely written travelogue Sathya..true inspiration. i'm planning on the same trip to Leh n back from Mangalore on my Xenon XT sometime in last week of september.Will PM you for route details and other info soon.
Sure. Thanks. All the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpacman View Post
Hi Sathya

Your trip has inspired me to plan a trip to the Leh this August. I am faced with a similar dilemma that you faced. But unlike your case I have a Honda city and no SUV. I read in your travelogue that in some sections even the xuv scrapped its belly therefore I am contemplating the route and some destinations so that my city (August 2013) could come back unscathed. Having been there, what do you think of me planning to take the city to the mountains

Cheers
Karthik
Guess, HVK answered your question. City can do, but you must be cautious about the low GC of the car. Leh trip needs 'will', 'planning and a good car. "Good car" is only the last part!! All the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Honda City has very low GC and longer wheel base putting it at a disadvantage vis-a-vis SUVs & small hatchback cars. Moreover, being a petrol car it lacks the torque required to climb up and down the rough roads. Although roads are much better in Aug, I still think it is a big risk taking a Honda City to Ladakh
Thanks HVK for answering all the questions. My schedule became very hectic with too many trips abroad this year.. Was really not able to focus on any trips or my threads here at TBHP. Have been following your Monsoon drives for 2014 in FB. HATS OFF sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecars21 View Post
Superb narration and excellent photography. What an experience it must have been for you and your wife!
Gathered lot of information from your t-log and wrote them in my notebook as I am preparing myself for the drive of a life time. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.
Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Thanks. Good to see that you would want to do this trip. Its a lifetime thing. Atleast it was like that for me. All the best Lovecars!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryskt View Post
Sathya,
An amazing post. I have a Honda Jazz and am considering an SUV under 20lakhs INR. I am considering XUV 500. Me and my wife love the Fortuner but its way above our budget. XUV is the only other SUV (of course in a lower segment), that has some appeal to me.
After reading this post, I have become more confident of the capability of "THE HAWK".
How much did it cost you in Chennai, OTR?
Thanks. Even I like the TFORT for its BUTCH looks. No other SUV comes close to TFORT when it comes to looks. My OTR price was 14.5L. I am sure it is another 30-40k higher now. One of my friends bought an XUV (W8) for 16.5L now (a week back actually).
Sathya_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2014, 22:51   #125
BHPian
 
vittal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: delhi
Posts: 124
Thanked: 294 Times
Default Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post

5. 5, 10, 15 Amp fuse - 2 each
8. Wooden planks of varying sizes
Excellent travelogue. I have read through couple of times.

(a) you didnt plan to drive to Zanskar Valley. Any reasons?
(b) from where did you get the fuses for xuv
(c) what the different sizes of wooden planks you carried and bought from where.

I had plans during Sep but may have to push it for next year due to official travel.
vittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2014, 12:08   #126
BHPian
 
manasmadaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Amritsar
Posts: 234
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

wonderful travelogue and drool worthy pics.
we are also going to leh on 6 sep. our itenary is
asr-srinagar-kargil-leh-nubra-pangong-tso moriri/tso kar-sarchu/jispa-manali-asr.

is the itenary doable easily? especially the 2nd leg (leh onwards).
nubra to pangong
pangong to tso moriri
tso moriri to sarchu?

How much fuel do we need in cans when starting from leh. we ll be travelling in XUV with a 70 l capacity.
manasmadaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2014, 14:22   #127
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 297 Times
Default Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

Very Much doable. Will you be going direct to Tso Moriri from Pangong? In that case you should carry some 20-30 litres to be on the safe side . In case you go via Leh/ Karu, you would not need any extra fuel if you tank up at Leh/ Karu.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2014, 16:32   #128
BHPian
 
manasmadaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Amritsar
Posts: 234
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Very Much doable. Will you be going direct to Tso Moriri from Pangong? In that case you should carry some 20-30 litres to be on the safe side . In case you go via Leh/ Karu, you would not need any extra fuel if you tank up at Leh/ Karu.
Thanks. yes we plan to go directly from pangong to tso moriri. Rest depends on the situation there and then and the plan might change and we go back to eh. We are planning to carry 2 jerry cans of roughly 20 l capacity. So that should suffice i guess.
manasmadaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 22:17   #129
BHPian
 
Sathya_sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 531
Thanked: 643 Times
Default Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittal View Post
Excellent travelogue. I have read through couple of times.

(a) you didnt plan to drive to Zanskar Valley. Any reasons?
(b) from where did you get the fuses for xuv
(c) what the different sizes of wooden planks you carried and bought from where.

I had plans during Sep but may have to push it for next year due to official travel.
Thanks Vittal.

a. No specific reasons. Just that I didn't plan it and we had a 5 yr old looking out for our early return :-).. So couldn't stretch any beyond 21 days..

b. Got the fuses from Service Center only..

c. No specific sizes per say. Went to a nearest construction site (known real estate promoter), picked up some wooden planks that were strong enough and of different sizes. Basically took 3 of them actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
wonderful travelogue and drool worthy pics.
we are also going to leh on 6 sep. our itenary is
asr-srinagar-kargil-leh-nubra-pangong-tso moriri/tso kar-sarchu/jispa-manali-asr.

is the itenary doable easily? especially the 2nd leg (leh onwards).
nubra to pangong
pangong to tso moriri
tso moriri to sarchu?

How much fuel do we need in cans when starting from leh. we ll be travelling in XUV with a 70 l capacity.
Thanks. Easily doable. What is the route that you are going to take from Pangong to Moriri. Chushul?? 20-30L to be on the safer side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
Thanks. yes we plan to go directly from pangong to tso moriri. Rest depends on the situation there and then and the plan might change and we go back to eh. We are planning to carry 2 jerry cans of roughly 20 l capacity. So that should suffice i guess.
It must suffice. Pls plan the Pangong to Tso Moriri part in advance. If you contemplate or take the Chushul route and then decide to head back to Leh if the check post doesn't allow you etc., it will become too late to start from Pangong, making return to Leh more difficult. So firm up your plans in advance so that you know what you are up for. I would say, Leh and Ladakh are not places where you can flip plans just like that. Better planning = no events! Just a suggestion. Have a safe trip.
Sathya_sc is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 23:23   #130
BHPian
 
manasmadaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Amritsar
Posts: 234
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Thanks Vittal.

Thanks. Easily doable. What is the route that you are going to take from Pangong to Moriri. Chushul?? 20-30L to be on the safer side.
Yes. we are planning to take the chushul route.



It must suffice. Pls plan the Pangong to Tso Moriri part in advance. If you contemplate or take the Chushul route and then decide to head back to Leh if the check post doesn't allow you etc., it will become too late to start from Pangong, making return to Leh more difficult. So firm up your plans in advance so that you know what you are up for. I would say, Leh and Ladakh are not places where you can flip plans just like that. Better planning = no events! Just a suggestion. Have a safe trip.
We plan to return to leh if stopped at chushul. Guess there is no other alternative or is there?
We need to start early from pangong to prepare for that if it occurs.
manasmadaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2014, 08:26   #131
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
We plan to return to leh if stopped at chushul. Guess there is no other alternative or is there?
We need to start early from pangong to prepare for that if it occurs.
Chushul CP by default denies any passage through towards Tsaga unless you have the permission of their command. Having said this, some have got through too, but this is not an assured scenario.

Leave early from Pangong armed with your permits. In case you do not get past Chushul CP, return to Pangong and proceed back towards Leh. You may not get enough time to reach Hanle through the direct Leh-Mahe-Hanle route
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 17:16   #132
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri

Hi Guys, Planning for a trip to Leh from Bangalore in my XUV W8 during second week of May with my nephew of 14 yrs. Is is the right time, any suggestions regarding the route to be taken. It is a 2WD hope it should not have any problems during the high attitudes.What are the precautions to be taken, and about the permissions is it easy to get all of them. Pls suggest.
Regards,
Rajesh
raj116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 22:18   #133
Senior - BHPian
 
TaureanBull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 311 Times
Default Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Moriri

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj116 View Post
Hi Guys, Planning for a trip to Leh from Bangalore in my XUV W8 during second week of May with my nephew of 14 yrs. Is is the right time, any suggestions regarding the route to be taken. It is a 2WD hope it should not have any problems during the high attitudes.What are the precautions to be taken, and about the permissions is it easy to get all of them. Pls suggest.
Regards,
Rajesh
Its a bit early for Leh trip. I dont think passes would be open by May. Jul-Sep is normally the best time.
TaureanBull is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 00:38   #134
BHPian
 
divyankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 98
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post

a. No specific reasons. Just that I didn't plan it and we had a 5 yr old looking out for our early return :-).. So couldn't stretch any beyond 21 days..

b. Got the fuses from Service Center only..
.
Hi Sathya,
It’s a superb write-up and the pics were amazing.
I am also planning for a road trip to Rann of Kutch in my Duster.
Although till now my longest trip is ‘Pune to Goa’ which took me around 10 hours.
Also can you give some insight about the DVR you are using for your XUV.
divyankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 02:18   #135
BHPian
 
Sathya_sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 531
Thanked: 643 Times
Default Re: The XUV Face-off: Chennai to Leh Ladakh! Turtuk, Pangong Tso, Hanle and Tso Morir

Quote:
Originally Posted by divyankar View Post
Hi Sathya,
It’s a superb write-up and the pics were amazing.
I am also planning for a road trip to Rann of Kutch in my Duster.
Although till now my longest trip is ‘Pune to Goa’ which took me around 10 hours.
Also can you give some insight about the DVR you are using for your XUV.
Thanks. I used iphone as the DVR, downloaded an app in iphone and used it for video recording.
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extreme Expedition, Bicycling: Leh-Chang la-Pangong-Chushul-Kakasang la-Hor la-Mahe adc Travelogues 88 20th March 2017 20:04
Srinagar - Leh - Pangong - Nubra - Tsomoriri - Keylong - Spiti - shimila with Family hisunil Route / Travel Queries 18 20th June 2016 07:45
Escape to Pangong Tso Rahulk76 Travelogues 33 9th August 2013 20:10
Turtuk-Kanyakumari Solo Speed Run [9595Km] 12 days- NihilisticLogic Travelogues 37 12th August 2010 16:41
Chushul, Hanle, Tsoka La etc., P tsk1979 Route / Travel Queries 2 16th June 2009 17:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:41.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks