Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 26th September 2013, 00:04   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Road Trip : Pollachi - Valparai - Chalakudy

I loved all your pictures. Seems like an excellent place to visit!
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 12:16   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I loved all your pictures. Seems like an excellent place to visit!
Thanks joe1980! It sure is.
lipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 13:41   #18
Team-BHP Support

The ideal thing is to laze around in Valparai. Take long walks with a camera. Long shots of the water bodies make it look amazing.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2013, 11:21   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The ideal thing is to laze around in Valparai. Take long walks with a camera. Long shots of the water bodies make it look amazing.
Thanks ampere! The road to Valparai has always been a favourite for us. We would pack lunch, pick some spot, spend time and return.
Old 28th September 2013, 22:32   #20
BHPian

Hello lipaul,
Very beautiful pics. I am from Pollachi as well. It's really been years since I went to Valparai. Your travelogue has reminded me of some the nostalgic moments I had in Valparai. Thanks for sharing !!!

-mksureshhere
mksureshhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2013, 13:31   #21
BHPian

Hi lipaul. Nice and short Travelogue. These places on the Kerala and TN border, border on heaven !

The pirangulkuthu dam ( I know I did not get it correct, but it almost 4 to 5 times I have gone back to page 1 to read it again and again..so leaving at that)..is so appealing. We could spend days...there.

- Sai
Vihari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2013, 13:34   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mksureshhere View Post
Hello lipaul,
Very beautiful pics. I am from Pollachi as well. It's really been years since I went to Valparai. Your travelogue has reminded me of some the nostalgic moments I had in Valparai. Thanks for sharing !!!

-mksureshhere
Thanks mksuresh! Nice you meet you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihari View Post
Hi lipaul. Nice and short Travelogue. These places on the Kerala and TN border, border on heaven !

The pirangulkuthu dam ( I know I did not get it correct, but it almost 4 to 5 times I have gone back to page 1 to read it again and again..so leaving at that)..is so appealing. We could spend days...there.

- Sai
Thanks Vihari! It is my favorite spot in that stretch.
Old 2nd October 2013, 15:44   #23

Thoroughly enjoyed the crisp travelogue.
Benefitted a lot as well -- a friend and I have a Kochi - Valparai - Pollachi ride (& stay) planned for this weekend.
The updates on road conditions are very valuable.

We have never been on a ride like this eventhough we wanted to be on one for so long. It was always local day trips till now.
This is sort of a 'coming-of-age ride'

I guess it's advised to take the Sholayar - Rotikadi - Valparai route instead of the Sholayar - Valparai straight route, right? Read about better surface quality on the Rotikadi route.

If you remember any more tips, thanks in advance
AravindJose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2013, 16:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AravindJose View Post
I guess it's advised to take the Sholayar - Rotikadi - Valparai route instead of the Sholayar - Valparai straight route, right? Read about better surface quality on the Rotikadi route.
Yes, via Rotikadai, you will be able to save ~10kms. Roads are very good when I travelled on 24th Aug'13.

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2013, 15:04   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AravindJose View Post
Thoroughly enjoyed the crisp travelogue.
Benefitted a lot as well -- a friend and I have a Kochi - Valparai - Pollachi ride (& stay) planned for this weekend.
The updates on road conditions are very valuable.

We have never been on a ride like this eventhough we wanted to be on one for so long. It was always local day trips till now.
This is sort of a 'coming-of-age ride'

If you remember any more tips, thanks in advance
AravindJose, it is Rottikadai. The road I travelled was the one which you have mentioned as 'Sholayar - Valparai straight route'. On this road, a small stretch near Malakapara was bad.

If you are keen on spotting wildlife, start early. Also be aware that the Vazhachal-Malakapara stretch is largely uninhabited and elephant spotting is common.
Old 3rd October 2013, 21:33   #26

Noticed the kadai/kadi typo just moments after posting.
Thanks for the elephant tip. Hope a spotting never develops into a chasing

But in a not very fortunate turn of events, we had to hold-off the plan for quite some more time.
*bucket list entry re-created*
AravindJose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 10:00   #27
BHPian

Hi Lipaul!

Your photographs made me jump from seat and plan a trip to valaparai this weekend. My family would be visiting Kovai this weekend with the car being driven by our chaffeaur (who else, it is me. I am possessive of my car and love driving long distance). We plan two days trip to valparai, and if possible take the valparai-vazhachal-trichur-p'ghat route on return. We had done valparai-vazhachal route way back in 2012 and the road (or the absence of it) condition was pathetic. It had taken more than 3 hours to cross this 60+ km strech. But it was an eerie experience with no body else on the road. Though we were warned by both people manning the check-post and by the policemen at EB house (inside the forest) of impending marching of elephants due to inclement weather, all that we could spot was their dung.

I would like to know of places of interest at Valparai other than Balaji temple and the Velankanni shrine. Nice accommodation tips? Any possibility of staying closer to or within the forest? I have read elsewhere in Team-BHP that there exists a route to Parambikulam from Sholayar dam and only two guys are allowed to ferry people on this route? Any tips?
Gokrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 13:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Hi Lipaul!

Your photographs made me jump from seat and plan a trip to valaparai this weekend. My family would be visiting Kovai this weekend with the car being driven by our chaffeaur (who else, it is me. I am possessive of my car and love driving long distance). We plan two days trip to valparai, and if possible take the valparai-vazhachal-trichur-p'ghat route on return. We had done valparai-vazhachal route way back in 2012 and the road (or the absence of it) condition was pathetic. It had taken more than 3 hours to cross this 60+ km strech. But it was an eerie experience with no body else on the road. Though we were warned by both people manning the check-post and by the policemen at EB house (inside the forest) of impending marching of elephants due to inclement weather, all that we could spot was their dung.

I would like to know of places of interest at Valparai other than Balaji temple and the Velankanni shrine. Nice accommodation tips? Any possibility of staying closer to or within the forest? I have read elsewhere in Team-BHP that there exists a route to Parambikulam from Sholayar dam and only two guys are allowed to ferry people on this route? Any tips?
Thanks Gokrish! Assuming that you would be approaching from Pollachi, the places of interest are - Aliyar dam, Monkey falls, Loams view point, Kavarakkal mist spreading zone, Nirar dam Lower/Upper, Chinnakkallar, Nallamudi Pooncholai, Number Parai, Sholayar dam, Vazhachal, Charpa, Athirappilly.

If you are looking for estate bungalows, try Water Fall Estate, Stanmore & Sinnadorai. If you cant find vacancy in any of the above, try Hotel Green Hill which is very basic.

I have heard of OTR roads from Sholayar to Parambikulam but these are not open to junta. The normal route would be to branch off to either of these places (Valparai or Topslip/Parambilukam) from Pollachi. But it would be quite a run if you are planning for a two day trip.