Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 18th September 2013, 00:58   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!

I had forgotten about the trailor incident it was actually quite scary. Dont know what got into the guy that he suddenly decided to move from the right most lane to the extreme left without any indication while both of us were doing good 3 digit speeds. Nonetheless i rolled down the window and made sure that i reminded the guy of his mother.

Sanjay you forgot about Raghavs incident with the crazy biker gang. The bikers kept forcing their way around all of us along the narrow roads up to kaas. 3 of them managed to pass but one of them had to do a bit of offroading into the fields when he tried overtaking Raghav even though he had given the indicator that he was turning to the right to pass a car parked on the left. Fortunately the biker did not fall off but just skidded and rode into the field and came back onto the road after a few feet.

Yes you are right about my affection towards the digits 8530 , i try and get the same digits on all the cars at home hence the same digits also on my handle.

Varun
vvb8530 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 12:37   #17
BHPian

Smile Re: Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!

Excellent description and pictures sir! Enjoyed watching the thread
Even i was unaware of the khalapur foodmall incident! The best part for me in the whole trip was listening to the roaring swift as soon as superbee and i entered the tunnels *winks*

OT- Are any of the pictures clicked by me good enough to be posted on the thread
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 13:43   #18
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Sanjay you forgot about Raghavs incident with the crazy biker gang. The bikers kept forcing their way around all of us along the narrow roads up to kaas. 3 of them managed to pass but one of them had to do a bit of offroading into the fields when he tried overtaking Raghav even though he had given the indicator that he was turning to the right to pass a car parked on the left. Fortunately the biker did not fall off but just skidded and rode into the field and came back onto the road after a few feet.
Oh yes, I completely forgot about that. Thanks for reminding.
I did not see it happen, but Raghav and Aman did talk about it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
OT- Are any of the pictures clicked by me good enough to be posted on the thread
Ah, now I remmeber. Even you clicked some snaps using my camera. That's why I was wondering why there are a few shots that seem to have been taken from a very similar angle. So good possibility that some of the Kanher dam snaps, some snaps from the parking and on the plateau might be actually taken by you.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 15:20   #19
BHPian

Excellent Travelouge SDP. Actually I was also there @ KAAS on very same day with my friend circle. We started from Mumbai on Saturday and had a stay in Hotel in Satara. That gave us opportunity to visit this marvelous plateau twice - once on Saturday evening and once on early Sunday morning.

Things were quiet ok on Saturday (as there was comparitively less crowd). On Sunday, we left from Kaas around 11:00 AM (almost same time by which you guys reach there) and thus experienced very less crowd / vehicular traffic on that day as well.

Overall experience was fantastic.
F1amit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 17:07   #20
SDP
Team-BHP Support

The plateau had a distinct pink hue.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-065-dsc_0033.jpg

Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-066-dsc_0032.jpg

Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-067-dsc_0023.jpg

Spotted some interesting flowers by the road-side itself.
Name:  068 DSC_0026.JPG
Views: 2309
Size:  278.3 KB

Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-069-dsc_0018.jpg

The yellows were everywhere along the road.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-070-dsc_0037.jpg

Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-071-dsc_0035.jpg

Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-072-dsc_0040.jpg

Fences everywhere.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-073-dsc_0041.jpg

Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-074-dsc_0044.jpg

Pritam using a stone to get a better vantage point.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-075-dsc_0038.jpg

Just too many people.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-076-dsc_0045.jpg

Everywhere.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-077-dsc_0049.jpg

While we were having breakfast at Aashirward, we had seen some 2-3 buses stop at the same hotel - buses full with people headed to Kaas. At 11:30am, there were already too many people on the plateau and a lot more were pouring in. I was initially disappointed by the heavy fencing all around, but soon realized that with the kind of footfalls this place gets, may be without the fences, there would have been nothing left.

Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-078-dsc_0048.jpg

See Kailash, Raghav, Aman and Rahul?
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-079-dsc_0046.jpg

Kailash got to business in no time.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-080-dsc_0053.jpg
SDP is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 21:45   #21
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Saw 2-3 interesting variety of flowers.
Name:  081 DSC_0050.JPG
Views: 2078
Size:  285.7 KB

Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-082-dsc_0054.jpg

Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-083-dsc_0080.jpg

When you look at the plateau from normal eye-level, leaving the greenish pink carpet aside, its a pretty ordinary scene.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-084-dsc_0057.jpg

But go down to the ground level and the scene becomes quite interesting.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-085-dsc_0058.jpg

Use a shallow depth of field and you can blur a couple of human figures in the background.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-086-dsc_0060.jpg

Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-087-dsc_0062.jpg

Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-088-dsc_0065.jpg

Sometimes the blurred human figure could be somebody you know..
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-089-dsc_0087.jpg

..and then you can rotate the focus-ring to get them in sharp-focus.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-090-dsc_0086.jpg

You can even reverse-mount a lens and try your hand at macros.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-091-dsc_0075.jpg

Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-092-dsc_0077.jpg

Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-093-dsc_0078.jpg

But undoubtedly the best view that you get on the plateau is of the sky while laying flat on your back...as demonstrated by Raghav here.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-094-dsc_0096.jpg

That's Aman..looking at the crazy amateurs around him in all sort of weird positions.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-095-dsc_0095.jpg

Here's a serious thought. Not carrying a camera (and trying to document each moment of your life) is actually a blessing in disguise. That way you get to just seat down, relax and take in the beauty and serenity of a place like Kaas.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-096-dsc_0097.jpg

Last edited by SDP : 18th September 2013 at 21:59.
SDP is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 22:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

What a beautiful place it is !!! I had seen some pics of this place, few days back, in a FB album of a friend. There were very few pics, so I couldn't understand what was going on.
Your pics gave the complete scene. Really amazed to see such a place. Can co-relate it to the famous Tulip fields in Netherlands. Not to mention, beautiful photography and interesting narration.

The starting pics from Post # 15 are pure wallpaper material. What perfect balance of colours of mother nature ! Just loved em'.

I had one question that popped up in my mind. Quoting a statement from your post. How can it be done ? Reverse-mount a lens ? I have a Canon 600D with 18-55 kit lens. Didn't find a way to reverse-mount it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
You can even reverse-mount a lens and try your hand at macros.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 18th September 2013 at 22:09.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 22:15   #23
BHPian

Gripping travelogue and mind-blowing pictures. Each one is wallpaper material.
mashmash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 22:28   #24
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
What a beautiful place it is !!! ....
The starting pics from Post # 15 are pure wallpaper material. What perfect balance of colours of mother nature ! Just loved em'.
Thanks Soumyajit!

Quote:
I had one question that popped up in my mind. Quoting a statement from your post. How can it be done ? Reverse-mount a lens ? I have a Canon 600D with 18-55 kit lens. Didn't find a way to reverse-mount it !
As you might be aware, reverse-mounting is a old technique used for quickly and cheaply adding macro ability to your gear.

http://www.dpchallenge.com/tutorial.php?TUTORIAL_ID=81

All you need is a cheap 250-300 Rs reversing ring. Please note that not all lenses can be reverse-mounted. Prime-lenses with dedicated ring for aperture control are best suited for reverse-mounting. Googling for your specific lens and the term reverse-mounting could help to figure out if it is possible for your specific lens.

Here're couple of macros I clicked a few months back by reverse-mounting my 50mm prime lens.
Name:  DSC_0853.JPG
Views: 1990
Size:  202.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0854.JPG
Views: 1980
Size:  176.0 KB

and here's the flower.
Name:  DSC_0848.JPG
Views: 1976
Size:  266.6 KB
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 22:39   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

It's really very nice to see the authorities have fenced the region.

Stunning pictures SDP
laluks is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 22:57   #26
BHPian

Beautiful photographs and beautiful narration too. Kaas is indeed a wonderful place. Been seeing a lot of photos lately.

Never been there. Seems kaas would be the first out of town drive for my punto when it arrives in 10 days. Hope the flowers are around still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

Hi. Just buy a reversing ring for the kit lens and you can fit it on your camera. You ll find it easily on e bay. However with the kit only issue would be controlling the aperture since there is no manual control of the aperture and reverse mounting would mean u can't use the electronics of the lens. By default the lens would be wide open and that would mean a very shallow depth of field. But there is way to work around that too. I frequently reverse mount my kit lens on the camera and on the 70-300. Gives insane magnification. Won't hijack the thread for that though.

Sorry for going OT.

Last edited by vibbs : 18th September 2013 at 22:59.
vibbs is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 23:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
As you might be aware, reverse-mounting is a old technique used for quickly and cheaply adding macro ability to your gear.
http://www.dpchallenge.com/tutorial.php?TUTORIAL_ID=81
All you need is a cheap 250-300 Rs reversing ring. Please note that not all lenses can be reverse-mounted. Prime-lenses with dedicated ring for aperture control are best suited for reverse-mounting. Googling for your specific lens and the term reverse-mounting could help to figure out if it is possible for your specific lens.
Here're couple of macros I clicked a few months back by reverse-mounting my 50mm prime lens.
Thanks a lot SDP for the advice. I am absolute novice in photography. Graduated from P&S to SLR, last year. Haven't explored much.

I am Googling more on this subject now. Thanks again !
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 08:42   #28
SDP
Team-BHP Support

It was fun exploring the plateau for different types of flowers and insects.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-097-dsc_0107.jpg

Caught a honeybee..
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-098-dsc_0112.jpg

Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-099-dsc_0125.jpg

..and an insect.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-100-dsc_0120.jpg

Name:  101 DSC_0127.JPG
Views: 1815
Size:  210.5 KB

We headed towards the edge of the plateau.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-101-dsc_0135.jpg

See those yellow specs? Those are the Donald ducks.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-102-dsc_0137.jpg

A closer look at a Donald Duck. The cartoon just below (taken from the internet) should remove all doubts about why the flower is called a Donand Duck.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-103-dsc_0128.jpg Name:  Donaldduck7.jpg
Views: 1974
Size:  100.7 KB

A little bit farther, I spotted a unique one! One without the red spots!
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-104-dsc_0138.jpg

Towards the edge of the plateau, the crowd thinned out. Managed to get a frame without people in it.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-105-dsc_0142.jpg

Whites!
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-106-dsc_0148.jpg

Donald duck in interesting company.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-107-dsc_0141.jpg

Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-108-dsc_0147.jpg

Look at this snap and the one after that. Its the exact same frame, just the focus is different.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-109-dsc_0149.jpg

Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-110-dsc_0150.jpg

The white flowers sort of dilute the shade of the plateau. Purples + Whites give the light pink shade to the plateau.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-111-dsc_0151.jpg

The view from the edge was fantastic.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-112-dsc_0152.jpg

A small establishment on the other side.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-113-dsc_0161.jpg

A closer look.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-114-dsc_0156.jpg

Small flowers at the edge of the plateau.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-115-dsc_0160.jpg

A few dark clouds appeared in the sky and gave temporary relief from the sun.
It was almost 12:45pm. Time to head back to the cars.
Mumbai BHPians drive to Kaas - The story of another EPIC drive!-116-dsc_0164.jpg

Last edited by SDP : 19th September 2013 at 08:49.
SDP is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 12:54   #29
BHPian

The reverse lens macros have come out very well SDP. Need to learn the trick from you now , and it's high time to get a 50mm prime for me.

Also did you use manual focus most of the times?
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 15:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful report and pics, thanks for sharing.
@SDP, how long do you think the flowers will last (in full bloom). have they already peaked?
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote