Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 18th October 2013, 17:23   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Wanderlust traveller - 350 kms away & 700 years back - Bangalore to Hampi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri2012 View Post
Thanks for sharing this TL.
The pictures are truly out of the world!
Thanks. As mentioned in the travelogue Nov- Dec period will be best for shutterbugs I guess. Soon after rain with greenery around and clear sky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Very nice travelogue. Kept me glued to it. Beautiful pictures too.
What a great kingdom and empires we have had. All that lost glory makes me feel bit sad.
As you rightly said, Govt should improve the place a bit (acco, food, roads, etc) and advertise it more.
Thanks. I guess Hampi, Aihole, Badami circuit is not utilized by Karnataka Tourism properly.
When I was planning of Hampi trip I had checked with few of my friends if they were keen on joining, many of them have not heard of Hampi even though they were living in Bangalore since 5-6 years. One guy recognized it as place were Jacki Chan and Mallika Sherawat film was shot (The Myth).
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 10:37   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Wanderlust traveller - 350 kms away & 700 years back - Bangalore to Hampi

Completed a two day trip to Hampi yesterday. Your travelogue really helped me.
Route: Bangalore-Chithradurga-Hospet
Left my home near Manipal Hostipal at 6am on 1st Nov, Reached Yeshwantpur in 25mins, then the pain hit me. Heavy Vehicles, lack of signals on the ORR intersection and the extended weekend traffic. It was 7.20am when we crossed the Nelamangala tool booth. After that it was smooth sailing until Hospet. Some of the roads closer to Hospet are in good condition and some in really bad shape.
Hospet is a small confusing town with narrow roads and quite a few one ways, its difficult to find the way around on your own.
Hotel Malligi is good with efficient staff and facilities. Could'nt get a guide from the hotel, but this is where your trip helped me. Started off with the Vittala temple in the morning and then proceeded to Hampi, completing the trip with the Virupaksha. Never felt the need for a guide i.e. if your not much into History and just wanting to enjoy the ruins.
The best part was that most ruins in Hampi are not yet commercialized like the Virupaksha temple. Overall a good trip.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 09:47   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Left my home near Manipal Hostipal at 6am on 1st Nov, Reached Yeshwantpur in 25mins, then the pain hit me. Heavy Vehicles, lack of signals on the ORR intersection and the extended weekend traffic. It was 7.20am when we crossed the Nelamangala tool booth.
Yes, crossing Nelamangala is a pain. Also till you cross Tumkur roads are bit congested. Hope the 6 laning is done for this route also soon.

Even we were travelling on the same route around the same time on way to Goa. We had started from Marathahalli around 04.30 AM and after picking up my friends on the way from HSR and Silkboard took NICE road around 05.15 AM. We were in a taxi Innova and had driven non-stop till Chitradurga, hence I guess we would not have crossed each other though.

Since you are starting near Manipal hospital I guess the route you took through the town was the best though it takes up time.

Quote:
Never felt the need for a guide i.e. if your not much into History and just wanting to enjoy the ruins.
Yes, I guess guide is required mostly as a navigator if you are driving yourself. Most of historical details are available online.

Quote:
The best part was that most ruins in Hampi are not yet commercialized like the Virupaksha temple. Overall a good trip.
Yes, should say ASI is doing a good job at that. Only if Hampi was marketed properly and infrastructure improved.

Glad that you enjoyed the trip.
mpksuhas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 11:39   #19
BHPian

Nice travelogue and great pictures. Thanks!

You inspired me to plan a vacation to Hampi on Dec 24. I'll be driving there (2 adults + 2 children) in a Baleno and staying at the Royal Orchid Central hotel for 3 nights.

From this thread and others like it, I understand that the drive from B'lore all the way up to Hospet would be smooth. Any tips about the quickest way to reach the Royal Orchid Central hotel (http://goo.gl/maps/IMrhY) after reaching Hospet?
kumards is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 12:45   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumards View Post
From this thread and others like it, I understand that the drive from B'lore all the way up to Hospet would be smooth.
Yes roads till Hospet are mostly smooth. Few KM's before Hospet it tends to get bit bumpy, but noting to be concerned about.

While near Hospet there is a railway crossing where tunnel construction is on-going. There will be bit of traffic snarl over there especially if the level crossing is closed for any train. Soon after that I took the right towards Hospet.

My stay was at hotel Malligi which is on way to Royal Orchids. We lost our way inside Hospet and had to roam around 20 mins to find the hotel, we had by mistake taken the road towards Orchids.

Roads inside Hospet are not in great condition (similar to Bangalore) and town center has few one-ways. You can take the same route and once you reach the town center ask for direction to railway station which is next to Royal Orchids.

However I guess the easiest and stress free route will be to go further ahead towards Tundabadra dam and take this road. We had taken this road while going to dam and found this wider, with less traffic and slightly better condition too.
This road to an extent by-pass the main part of the city. Just keep an eye for direction to Tungabadra dam. The junction in front of dam from where you need to take right has a flyover, so you need to take the left service lane and take a right below the flyover.

Also, since you are travelling in between vacation time it will be better to check about arranging guide beforehand.
mpksuhas is online now   Reply With Quote