Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 16th October 2013, 19:02   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Ladakh should not be gobbled like a buffet but rather enjoyed like a fine wine one sip at a time.

Pangong, Hanle, Zanskar, Turtuk, Siachen, Tso kar, Tso Moriri all would be enjoyed at a later date.
Zigackly!

This is the first stage of the addiction, where you rue the quick run you could manage.

Second stage is a wider exploration. The lucky souls escape the grasp of those lands by now, the unlucky realize that even after a few thousand kilometers in that terrain, you have seen nothing yet.

By stage three, you'll be spending unjustifiable hours poring over maps and GPS tracks where there are almost no people to be found for kilometers on end. People who know you will wonder why you know the fuel range needed to clear three strange-sounding 'Las' in the same day better than distance between two important points in South Delhi.

You are, by then, truly lost to the desolation and wilderness; never to be the same again.

As a famous quote goes: "Once the mountains are in your blood, there is no escape".

Three trips for me so far and yet there's much of the eastern part and some of the west that I still need to explore. Each of the regions there deserve individual trips to justice to the place. Else, weather and dates mean that you'll run through a lot of the places.

Fortunately, you have Obelix, which is a platform that has one of the best combinations (range, comfort, reliability) to tackle the terrain. And I'll hope you'll get to cover all the places (Hanle, is my personal favourite. I find it to be magical) before soon. Once the tunnels open up, the tourist traffic will pick up like crazy and a lot of these places will change for the worse forever.

And I'll hope those visits will be accompanied by TLs like this one, as it has been a sheer pleasure to read. Thanks, again!
codelust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 11:28   #77
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed write-up and pics, Manuuj. Even though it's difficult to manage so many pics in those harsh situations, you've done it very well!

Eagerly waiting for more... The description is so good I feel I had been following you all the time in my imaginary(read 'distant dream') Pajero.

Obelix seems to be tackling all the routes with ease, just like home lands. Big Thumbs up for him!!!

For us ignorants, pls try to include a route map too, if you have it handy, though it's very possible to find all details from the descriptions itself.
Joe M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 12:09   #78

Hi Manuuj,
An awesome write up this one. Enjoying the travelogue immensely and virtually living the travel, its a wonderful package.
Please keep it coming.
Cheers!
The BULK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 12:42   #79
BHPian

Default Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvramsub View Post
18 hours and no post... Manuuj.. am waiting for more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetracer_919 View Post
This page is always kept open in my iPad as tab. So I used to refresh once a while to know if new posts have been made
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaromeo1984 View Post
I have been checking for the next installment. Me too waiting anxiously. Lovely pics and narration must have been a thrilling experience living your dream.
The final leg of the journey (Keylong-Manali-New Delhi) coming up today guys. Sorry for the delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
Zigackly!

This is the first stage of the addiction, where you rue the quick run you could manage.

Second stage is a wider exploration.

By stage three, you'll be spending unjustifiable hours poring over maps and GPS tracks where there are almost no people to be found for kilometers on end. Your'e, by then, truly lost to the desolation and wilderness; never to be the same again.

As a famous quote goes: "Once the mountains are in your blood, there is no escape".
Fortunately, you have Obelix, which is a platform that has one of the best combinations (range, comfort, reliability) to tackle the terrain.

And I'll hope those visits will be accompanied by TLs like this one, as it has been a sheer pleasure to read. Thanks, again!
I agree with you completely codelust. It really is an addiction for sure.

No one who visits these areas by looking at pics on their computer can ever be prepared or fathom the intensity of the fever that would grip them once they visit these areas in person.

I know i shall make this an annual voyage till i have been to every corner of
this magical land. Once Iv'e done this i will start from the top again.

Just have to find a way to break it to the people at Work and family at home!

Obelix sure is a dependable and hugely capable and without him all this would have remained but a dream. Handled everything with aplomb and surprised me with its abilities. As i look toward Obelix now standing nonchalantly in my driveway, there is a degree of awe and respect for it in my glances.

Thank you for your kind words about the TL once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
Thanks for the detailed write-up and pics, Manuuj. Even though it's difficult to manage so many pics in those harsh situations, you've done it very well!

Eagerly waiting for more... The description is so good I feel I had been following you all the time in my imaginary(read 'distant dream') Pajero.

Obelix seems to be tackling all the routes with ease, just like home lands. Big Thumbs up for him!!!

For us ignorants, pls try to include a route map too, if you have it handy, though it's very possible to find all details from the descriptions itself.
I had 'old school' paper maps and a Garmin Navigation system in the car for the trip. But i shall attempt to download maps of each section from the net and upload them here.

Thank you for your kind words about the TL. More coming up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BULK View Post
Hi Manuuj,
An awesome write up this one. Enjoying the travelogue immensely and virtually living the travel, its a wonderful package.
Please keep it coming.
Cheers!
Thank you 'The BULK'. Im glad youre' are enjoying this TL as much as i am enjoying reliving it as i write each post.
More coming up today.
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 13:17   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Ladakh should not be gobbled like a buffet but rather enjoyed like a fine wine one sip at a time.

Pangong, Hanle, Zanskar, Turtuk, Siachen, Tso kar, Tso Moriri all would be enjoyed at a later date.

There would be reason for excitement on our next trip to Ladakh because of these yet unexplored places.

To be continued..
Really nice trip log Manuuj, enjoyed every bit of the photographs. I guess I am also in the same boat with the above mentioned places parked for a 2nd visit. And very aptly said that Ladakh should be a fine dining experience and not something akin to Amazing Race format
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 14:18   #81
BHPian

Quote:

I agree with you completely codelust. It really is an addiction for sure.

I know i shall make this an annual voyage till i have been to every corner of
this magical land. Once Iv'e done this i will start from the top again.

Just have to find a way to break it to the people at Work and family at home!
Welcome to the club. And don't worry you will find ways .
BTW do read codelust's log 4 high to .. and 4 Lo to ... on bcmt. I am sure many new names will appear in your list.
columbus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 15:05   #82
BHPian

Default Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!

The Final Leg.

Keylong-Manali-New Delhi

I had left the curtains drawn open so that the first rays of the sun would wake us up. I awoke to a new sunny day. All my misgivings about the trip being curtailed were now a thing of the past.

I was excited to be going home. It had been a wonderful, awe inspiring and astonishing two weeks. Incredible India??..Hell yeah!!

As I said before in this thread.."Nobody goes to Ladakh just once.."

With these happy thoughts in mind we washed our faces, brushed had tea and left for Manali at 7:30 AM.

Breakfast and hot showers could be had at leisure over in Manali itself.

Though the distance to Manali was less than 120 km we expected to take around 3-4 hours due to road conditions and taxi traffic headed up to Rohtang La from Manali.

It was a bright and early start with a sobering message. Without the sacrifice of so many we could not have experienced what we did. A Silent Salute to them.
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-1.jpg

Tandi Petrol Station was crossed in about 50 minutes. This is where we had reached late on our journey up to Leh and found it to be shut.
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-2.jpg

Luckily the 80 litre tank of Obelix was more than sufficient to take us the 550 kms from Kaza to Leh. Of this leg of 550 kms almost 190 kms was on rough off road terrain which was negotiated in 2nd, 3rd gear for hours at end. It also included climbing and descending 5 mountain passes in two days, with the 2nd highest road in the world being on one of them.
I reached Leh with enough fuel to last me a couple of days of driving within Leh, and only had a tank up when we were to leave for Alchi.

From Tandi to Gramphoo the sun was shining and the scenery was amazing
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-3.jpg
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-4.jpg

The infamous Rani Nalah was crossed around 10 AM.
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-5.jpg

Luckily we had not had that much traffic yet and made good time.

There were some deep slushy ruts at Rani Nala with were taken at ease in 4x4 Low. The section in the photo was a much tamer section, I was a bit preoccupied and Gaurav a bit terrified to take pics in the more hairy sections. There had been some overnight rain so one had to be quite careful yet firm with the vehicle to cross the slushy sections.

In about 2.5 hours we were at Rohtang La. It was a bit of an anticlimax as there was no storm or snow present to impede us as predicted by the folks at Karu Check Post. (We found out the next day how lucky we had been..It snowed overnight and Rohtang La was shut for a couple of days.)
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-6.jpg

Good roads and clear skies greeted us..
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-7.jpg

Parked up for a break..one could see Marhi below us from here. Close to it a small dam was visible.
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-8.jpg
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-10.jpg

15 minutes later we were at the Dam site and stopped to have a quick bite to eat.
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-11.jpg

A really tasty (though super oily) hot Omelette on bread with Orange juice each was the perfect breakfast as our tummy's had begun to growl..
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-12.jpg

As we descended our surroundings became greener and there was a lot more foliage. The green was very soothing after 10 days of barren landscape. I'll never take trees for granted in my life again!!
Name:  9.jpg
Views: 2155
Size:  62.2 KB

We were staying at a friends cottage and after a hot shower we headed to Old Manali for a bite to eat. We took the Forest track down and crossed Hadimba Devi Temple, a famous landmark of Manali. (The first time I had seen this place i was not even 10 years old..)
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-13.jpg

Everyone including me was happy and relaxed now. The main leg of the trip was complete. It was time to rest, eat and laugh while we recollected our adventure over the past 2 weeks.
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-14.jpg

I was well rested when I awoke the next day and decided to leave for Delhi right away instead of staying on at Manali another day.

I wanted to get to Delhi on the 1st of October so I could have a day off before rejoining work as 2nd October was a National Holiday being Gandhi Jayanti. (Gandhi ji's birth anniversary)

Abhimanyu and Chandni decided to enjoy Manali another day while Gaurav and me decided to hit the road.

Waving goodbye to Chandni from Obelix as we left for home.
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-15.jpg

We took the picturesque Left Bank Manali-Naggar-Kullu road
Name:  16.jpg
Views: 2270
Size:  33.6 KB

After a heavy brunch at a riverside Dhaba after Kullu we were crossing the tunnel at Aut by high noon.
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-17.jpg

Three and a half hours later after negotiating horrible potholed roads near Bilaspur, we saw the plains for the first time in 2 weeks from Swarghat.
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-18.jpg
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-19.jpg

The last sunset of this vaction somewhere after Ambala..
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-20.jpg

On the way back home after dropping Gaurav off at his place it dawned on me that I was back in "Civilization." This is a word that's debatable. The people I met with, up in those remote areas were much happier, content and civilized than my counterparts here.

The halcyon ambiance of Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh had calmed my mind and soothed my soul. Delhi only made me dizzy..
Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!-21.jpg

As I walked in after parking Obelix in the driveway at home I finally gave it the badge it so fully deserved.
Name:  22.jpg
Views: 2075
Size:  20.0 KB

Life would come flooding back with its usual complications and daily dilemma's. Only this time my my renewed spirit was far better prepared to tackle them. All I needed to do was shut my eyes for a few minutes and remember the tranquil beauty I had been fortunate enough to witness the past two weeks.

To go there was life altering.

I owe a debt of gratitude to TSK, ADC, HVK, Coolcat21 and other unnamed stalwarts of Team-Bhp.

Their words and pictures inspired me and lay me on path that I know I am bound to undertake many times in my years ahead.

The End.
Manuuj is offline   (23) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 16:29   #83
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Obelix (Toyota Fortuner) goes to Kinnaur, Spiti and Leh!

One of the best travalogues. People up north are fortunate to use their fortuner (pun unintended) to go to these beautiful places and live their dream.

Great pictures and felt like I also travelled with you to these wonderful places. Compared this with Chennai where I live, makes me cringe.

In addition your narration skills are comparable to some one like Jeffery Archer. Truly superb. What a great thread !!!! Thanks for this experience. Deserves 5*

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif
baskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 17:02   #84
BHPian

Mate, I've been glued to your travelogue the past few days. I'm yet to make the trip and have to say that your travelogue convinced me that I should do this no later than next year.

Well captured! I've rated this thread a very deserving 5 stars
BackInTheFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 17:16   #85
Senior - BHPian

Really enjoyed the pics and write up top bottom. My pat to Obelix for the tedious yet safe journey

Who would not love those hot Omelettes?
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 18:08   #86
BHPian

Manuuj, you've done us all a great service by sharing this travelogue. You've done a thankless job of making all of us aware of Leh and several other places along the way. This great thread will motivate many to drive to Leh. It will also motivate many to share their travel experience. You've set a great example. You're a true leader. Thanks a ton.
kaizanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 18:14   #87
BHPian

A very well written travelogue.I frequently visited this thread to check for updates .Please upload the one-lakh km mile-stone photo,if you have any.

Surely inspired me to head to Leh someday!
Thanks for writing.
dean5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 19:33   #88
BHPian

Congratulations once again Manuuj! You lived your dream!
Top-class narration, top-notch photos!
Both, you and Obelix surely deserves a pat!
nishantdlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 01:06   #89
Senior - BHPian

Wow, Awesome just felt like i am at those places, Nice pics, awesome narration. Just like you dreamt of this trip earlier, I am doing this now a days and hope to hit Leh soon. The beauty, the terrain is just bloody awesome
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 12:58   #90
BHPian

Great Tavelogue Manuuj.kept me glued for days .
behaln is offline   Reply With Quote