Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 9th November 2013, 21:32   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Dhanushkodi - Beauty reclaimed by Nature!

Thanks Samm for a crisp details of the trip and for sharing pictures and cost details. Cheers
jeetaman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 22:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Samm for a nice travelogue, glad my trip report helped, your snaps brought back fond memories of our trip.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 10:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic travelogue samm,made for a good read :-).
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 11:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Thanks Samm for a nice travelogue, glad my trip report helped, your snaps brought back fond memories of our trip.
Thanks Srihari. Thanks for Kumaran's contact you provided. Kumaran is a pretty nice guy, and gave us as much time as we needed on the beach. Typically, hotel guys restrict the Dhanushkodi trip to 2.5 hrs max. He also told me that some 6-7 people had contacted him based on your experience and the contact provided by you!

I'm sure many more from this forum will take him as his guide! Unfortunately, he doesn't own a jeep, and as of now he is working as a driver for another jeep owner. He says maintenance cost of the jeep on that terrain is too much for him to afford.
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 11:32   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
He says maintenance cost of the jeep on that terrain is too much for him to afford.
How much do they charge normally for hotel > Dhanushkodi > hotel trip?
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 11:50   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
I paid 2000 for to and fro from Daiwik hotel. Also just a side note that I did the trip in the evening that is started at 4 and was back by 6. That way I was able to avoid the very bright sunlight and heat. The evening was calm and enjoyable.

Last edited by ambivalent_98 : 11th November 2013 at 11:52.
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 12:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
I paid 2000 for to and fro from Daiwik hotel. Also just a side note that I did the trip in the evening that is started at 4 and was back by 6. That way I was able to avoid the very bright sunlight and heat. The evening was calm and enjoyable.
What I figured out is, the rate changes with hotel. Queen Palace offered me 2.5 hrs slot at 1.30PM for 1300/-. I paid 1400/- to Kumaran (called him directly), since he was more flexible with timings (2PM to 5.30PM). He said that Daiwik charges higher rates. He said that everyone should leave the beach by 5.30PM due to security reasons.

Even at 2.30PM, we didn't feel too much of heat, maybe due to the wind and also we were in water .
Old 11th November 2013, 12:29   #23
BHPian

Excellent travelogue. Great pictures.

Even I'm considering doing a trip to Rameshwaram and Dhanushkodi. Is the Daiwik hotel already booked for the next two years? I checked their website's online booking and it seems like everything is booked until 2015 which I don't believe.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 14:01   #24
BHPian

Excellent Post, Samm. I have made many family trips to Rameshwaram but temple visits and pujas consumed most of the time on the island. Nice to know of the opportunities for long nature trips that exist near the town. Until I read your post, I didn't even know a paid Ferry Service existed in Rameshwaram. Thanks for all the details and beautiful pics.
venkatt1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 16:01   #25
BHPian

Default Re: Dhanushkodi - Beauty reclaimed by nature! - Onward Journey

Quote:
Onward Journey - 12th Sunday, 2PM

Paid Rs.100/- toll and landed on the bridge at 11PM in the night. It was an amazing feeling! More so, on the thought that we were standing in the middle of sea, with no one else in the vicinity. One side was absolutely dark, with just the noise of water. The other side was surreal, with the reflection of the moon from the vast sea! Absolutely thrilling! We could even feel the slight sway of the bridge, and in the middle of the night, it just adds to the thrill (or fear??)! Spent about half an hour on it walking up and down, and reached the hotel at 11.30PM. Note that we need to pay 50/- as entry fee to Municipality area.
You were looted too! The toll is actually Rs.50/-. I was there just almost the same time as yours (11-14th Oct). The guy at the toll asked me 100 rs, and I asked him for the reciept, which he ignored. I got down and went inside the booth to ask for the reciept, and the guy there returned me Rs.50, and when I checked the reciept, Rs.50 is the toll for the bridge!
They were looting almost all the cars with non-TN registration, the guy in front of me too paid Rs.100 and without a reciept!
asethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 18:18   #26
BHPian

Default Re: Dhanushkodi - Beauty reclaimed by nature! - Onward Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
You were looted too!

They were looting almost all the cars with non-TN registration, the guy in front of me too paid Rs.100 and without a receipt!
I had read about this before I left. Then I did get a printed receipt for Rs.100/-, with correct date (without asking). But I could see many types of receipts fluttering in the counter. May be, he gave me a truck's receipt, since it doesn't mention the vehicle class. Anyways, they didn't bother while returning, though it was valid only for the same day.

Yup, there is a definite chance of looting going on, for sure - by one way or other!
Old 13th November 2013, 21:30   #27
BHPian

Sorry to hijack your travelogue Samm, but here are few pictures from my trip to Rameswaram/Dhanushkodi, and coincidentally I was there same time as you were .
This is just an amazingly awesome place!

The Pamban Bridge
Dhanushkodi - Beauty reclaimed by Nature!-dsc_5420.jpg

The beach behind the Vivekananda Memorial
Dhanushkodi - Beauty reclaimed by Nature!-dsc_4927.jpg

Sunrise @ Rameswaram
Dhanushkodi - Beauty reclaimed by Nature!-dsc_5068.jpg

The ruins of Dhanushkodi in B&W
Dhanushkodi - Beauty reclaimed by Nature!-dsc_5371.jpg

Dhanushkodi - Beauty reclaimed by Nature!-dsc_5383.jpg

Few Panaromic views of Dhanushkodi
Dhanushkodi - Beauty reclaimed by Nature!-dsc_5123-stitch.jpg

Dhanushkodi - Beauty reclaimed by Nature!-wp_20131014_08_27_34_panorama.jpg

Dhanushkodi - Beauty reclaimed by Nature!-wp_20131014_17_28_43_panorama.jpg
asethi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 23:36   #28
BHPian

Great pics, Ankush! Some of the views and pics I missed.

Did you go down from the Pamban to get this view? We also tried, but the roads looked too narrow, so skipped that.

I wanted the panorama as well, but my camera didn't have that option.

Thanks for sharing, and enriching the thread!

-sam
Old 14th November 2013, 12:58   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Great pics, Ankush! Some of the views and pics I missed.

Did you go down from the Pamban to get this view? We also tried, but the roads looked too narrow, so skipped that.

I wanted the panorama as well, but my camera didn't have that option.

Thanks for sharing, and enriching the thread!

-sam
Thanks Sam! This view of Pamban is from the start of the bridge from Rameswaram side just before climbing the bridge. I took this picture during the return journey, and was lucky enough to spot the train .

Also, the all panoramas are not from the phone, for few of them I've stitched together series of shots from my camera using software. Actually only the last one (road view) is from the phone.

Last edited by asethi : 14th November 2013 at 13:00.
asethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 20:40   #30
BHPian

Dhanuskodi trip should cost you around 1200, which includes sight seeing on the way to Dhanuskodi.

In my opinion, the best place to stay in Rameshwaram is the TTDC hotel. We did not, thinking that other places would be better. But when we went there for lunch and breakfast we realized tat its probably the best place to stay.

There are multiple food options, specially the dinner at Patel/Gujrat bhavan is really good. Lunch is good at TTDC.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote