Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Sorry!
Was traveling. Will start posting from today evening again
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofsun View Post
Sir Still waiting for you to continue. Please let us know if you are back.
Will try to flow in the updates regularly now
Hopefully, my writers block has cleared since the white elephant is behaving again.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 10:51   #152
Team-BHP Support

Default Day 5 #3 : Apple Crepes and Fiberglass

Invitation. That is what the Fjord does. Come sail on me
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003306xl.jpg

Its time to let those furious horses rest
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003307xl.jpg

But when you are in for a serious workout, its best to get fueled up first. And what better fuel than apple crepes.
Lets see what do you need to make apple crepes.
Most online sites suggest you need a lot of ingredients.
And its true too.

The first time both of us ever had crepes was at a small outlet on the lovely streets of SFO. The crepes were rich, with whipped cream, chocolate sauce, ice cream, fruits and raisins and what not.

Back in India we tried to replicate that. It was not too difficult. Its basically an egg/flour/Shakker(crushed jaggery) mixture with the consistency of a dosa mix.
And then lightly fried in a pan.

With the base ready, its just a matter of adding all you want.

Over here we did not have everything, but we did had shakker, flour ice cream and apples.

Apple sauce is fairly easy. Boil apples in little water and shakker to make them soft and gooey.

With the crepe base ready, its just adding ice cream and apple sauce for a delicious ultra sweet lunch.

And this is what it looks like.
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-20131004_221745xl.jpg

After that, its time to head to the Fjord.
We have multiple options. Kayak, paddle boat, Fiberglass boat. We decide to go 2 out of 3. For the Kayaking part, no pics(though you can look at the action cam sequence in the video), but in the boat, I did carry the camera.

Here are the pics taken from the boat itself
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d700001257xl.jpg

Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-nex5n01258xl.jpg

Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-nex5n01261xl.jpg

The waterfall, 2kms away or 35kms away, depending upon how you do it
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-nex5n01263xl.jpg

Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-nex5n01264xl.jpg

Can you spot the mini
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-nex5n01265xl.jpg

After a quick ride on the boat, we decide to head for the 2 person Kayak. Naturally, carrying a camera is out of question.
A 2 person ocean Kayak has one sided oar.

And trust me, even though we had done Kayaking before with dual oars, a single oar is a pain.

So we started with watching a youtube video on "how to steer and propel a single oar kayak".

And then it was off to the fjord. We were wearing full life jacket gear, but when water temp is below 10 degree C, its best not to fall in.

So we have a short ride till, the arms ache.
I realize that we have come very far away from the shore. The getting back part is the tricky bit, but its not really very difficult when the waters are still.

So with arms aching we head back. My wife's injury on the right shoulder is still very painful, so she has to make do with the left hand.

But safe and sound, we are back, with ample daylight left.
Surely. we aren't going to spend it lazing around. After all, its our Last sunny day here!
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 10:55   #153
Team-BHP Support

Default Day 5 #4 : Horsing around Tunsbergdalsvatnet

Where do we go now. Where is the question...
So lets see. It has to be within 20kms.
Now when you draw a 20km circle around our base, there are a lot of things. So lets narrow down more.
How about this
A water body which is not a fjord, and is drivable....?

Sounds like a plan right. And so, this was the plan. We will drive to Tunsbergdalsvatnet lake. Sitting high and pretty, this is a "reservoir" lake. Norway is dotted with these crystal clear lakes which also work as a clean source of drinking water.

So off we go, into the setting sun.
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003309xl.jpg

After all, it is said, when in doubt go west.
The plan was not to stop at all. Just drive straight, but sometimes, best laid plans cannot be followed. Esp, when the drive is through untouched meadows, with cows...
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003311xl.jpg

And a horse
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003313xl.jpg

Horses can bite, very very hard. And this one, well he is very interested to come inside. So, its time to roll up windows.
With nothing left to bite, he just walks off. Till we meet again, my friend
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003315xl.jpg

The long and lonely road has just us, and the horse, and some scary cows
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003316xl.jpg

And the mini...of course
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003318xl.jpg

As the horse went away, the cows got an Idea maybe its them who we wanted... and they come in herds.
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-nex5n01269xl.jpg

Do you have milk?
Nooooooo says the cow
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-nex5n01270xl.jpg

So its time to drive on and on
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003319xl.jpg

And reach our destination, the lovely Tunsbergdalsvatnet. Quite a mouthful, that lake's name is!
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003320xl.jpg

The daylight is fading now. And we figure out, this is a nice drive, and we must go back also, in daylight.
So after roaming around, and generally wondering where are all the people, we head back
does anybody live there?
Nobody knows that.. except the guy who lives there if anybody lives there
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-nex5n01273xl.jpg

The landscape is amazing. there is color everywhere. Red too!
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-nex5n01274xl.jpg

Even the mini seems to be not frowning so much. I guess she enjoys loneliness. Guess what, on this 15km country stretch, we haven't seen a single Homo Sapien!
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003321xl.jpg
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 10:57   #154
Team-BHP Support

Day 5 #5 : Eat me

And so we push off, towards our meadows again. The skies are still clear, but if the track record of yr.no is to be believed, they won't remain clear now!
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003323xl.jpg

The road through heaven, isn't it
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003324xl.jpg

And this heavenly road takes us to the horse again. This time, he does not want to budge.
I be brave, and get out
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003326xl.jpg

As the horse moves out of the frame, I take another pic
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003327xl.jpg

And then he comes back again, can I eat something
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-nex5n01277xl.jpg

And as we horse around the horse, I notice that the cows have come, and they have now surrounded the car.
Time to take more pictures I guess. Well Guess not!

The cow decides that the ORVM is tasty and starts to take a big bite. The horse...well he decides the wipers are delicious. And the mini is about to be devoured.
And its time to run. Run very fast.

Objects in the mirror are hungrier than they appear
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-nex5n01278xl.jpg

Thankfully, they do not run fast and we escape
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-nex5n01280xl.jpg

Frankly speaking, it was indeed a scary experience. I mean, would anyone imagine in their wildest dreams that mini cooper is preferred food of horses and cows?
Well, in Norway it is.

And with this, ended our Luster Fjord day.
We had hiked, waterfalled, appled, kayaked, boated, and even got eaten. And we had loved it all.

A quick dinner(ice cream and crepes as usual ) and an early sleep. Tomorrow will bring the storm, but they say, there is no bad weather in Norway, only bad clothes.
tsk1979 is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 13:40   #155
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora

Lovely captures as always and informative story. Loved the Norway in a Nutshell video and also the small clip which caught whiffs of Aurora!

With you on this journey... go on. Thanks for sharing.

Did consider a drive holiday there, very expensive.... everything!

--Ramky
======
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 14:55   #156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Lovely captures as always and informative story. Loved the Norway in a Nutshell video and also the small clip which caught whiffs of Aurora!

With you on this journey... go on. Thanks for sharing.

Did consider a drive holiday there, very expensive.... everything!

--Ramky
======
Yup, norway is frightfully expensive. However we could combat the expense problem in 2 ways
1. Travel in off season = Low accommodation cost
2. Carry own food - Zilch food cost
3. Whatever was needed buy from grocery stores and cook ourselves - Again low cost
4. Eat apples - Free
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 17:22   #157
BHPian

Quote:
We had hiked, waterfalled, appled, kayaked, boated, and even got eaten.

A quick dinner(ice cream and crepes as usual ) and an early sleep. Tomorrow will bring the storm, but they say, there is no bad weather in Norway, only bad clothes.

Awesome Tanveer! The pictures are all so damn beautiful, can just imagine how the actual experience might have been!

The animals were pretty curious to see the three of you there, am sure they don't witness this often.

If curiosity killed the cat, then definitely horsing around could eat the cooper!

Cheers!
Trojan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 00:24   #158
BHPian

Tanveer! Thanks for such a fantastic write-up! Me and wife have been considering a norway trip this summer, chasing the midnight sun. You mentioned earlier in the travelogue that you went to Tromso in search of the aurora, did you drive all the way up to the nordkapp?
bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 10:33   #159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbafett View Post
Tanveer! Thanks for such a fantastic write-up! Me and wife have been considering a norway trip this summer, chasing the midnight sun. You mentioned earlier in the travelogue that you went to Tromso in search of the aurora, did you drive all the way up to the nordkapp?
Naah, we flew to tromso. Will come in course of the tlog
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 12:21   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Naah, we flew to tromso. Will come in course of the tlog
Tanveer, is there no end date to the log? Earlier, the posts were quite frequent. Now it has come to a trickle. With your other logs like Manali in winter taking precedence this feels like it is more or less over. If that is the case, would surely be interested in the expenses part. That is one thing I think many people would be interested to know.

Last edited by shipnil : 8th April 2014 at 12:35.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 12:33   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Tanveer, is their no end date to the log? Earlier, the posts were quite frequent. Now it has come to a trickle. With your other logs like Manali in winter taking precedence this feels like it is more or less over. If that is the case, would surely be interested in the expenses part. That is one thing I think many people would be interested to know.
Sorry about that. I will be updating the log more frequently after the next Himalayan trip.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 12:38   #162
Team-BHP Support

Default Day 6 #1 : Boyabreen

The sky often tells you a lot. Today morning, its telling us, its not a good idea to go Hiking. When sky tells stories like this, people do different things. For example, if we were living here long term, say a few months, we would take a nice book, and read it by the fjord, wearing very warm clothes.
However, we weren't. We were here for just 2 more days. With both days cloudy, we decided, that today will be spent driving a long distance to see something which does not require much trekking.

So breakfast done(Guess what, apple crepes with ice cream and eggs), we venture out.
Boats boats everywhere, not one to sail in. I know it did not make a nice rhyme, but then the weather is also not nice
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003463xl.jpg

All around, its dark and grey. The storm looms. Soon the arctic winds will sweep and bring with them rain... and more rain
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003464xl.jpg

Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003466xl.jpg

However, rain, hail or snow, our mini is ready, and so are our raincoats
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003468xl.jpg

So where do we go now. Glacier. Yes, that is decided. We will go see a glacier. Over 100kms away lies a glacier called Briksdal, and on the way too, lie some smaller ones.
After all, these are the branches of the octopus called Josterdalsbreen.

As we start driving, one thing is clear. No stopping to take pictures. Did you get lazy? You may ask. Well no. Its just that it started to rain. Well. not rain, pour. Pour cats and dogs. Pour in buckets. With visibility almost nill, and the whole road turning into a long aquaplaning test track, its a drive of wits.

Of course, those 18 wheelers still were doing a happy 80kmph, without a care in the world. And we decided to tag along.

But there is one pit stop we would not like to miss, and luckily, near the Boyabreen, the rain also slowed down a bit.

So what is Boybreen. Well, three germans were once hiking on the glacier with a boy. The boy fell, never to be found, and the glacier was named Boyabreen. Boy over glacier.

Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003469xl.jpg

However, this is not the only thing the glacier has consumed. In 1967 an airplane crashed over the Josterdalsbreen. Now, glaciers move, and eventually, the plane will emerge from one of its branches. Based on the study of currents, it is estimated, it will come out here
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003471xl.jpg

So we decided to wait. But frankly, waiting an entire decade was not possible. Our visa was just for 20 days.

So its time to move on, towards what we have come to see, the Briksdal glacier
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 12:42   #163
Team-BHP Support

Default Day 6 #2 : Wind beneath my wings

So due north we proceed, and the rains chase us. Its pouring now, and at even the slow 80kmph, the mini is a handful, esp on these curvy roads. But traffic carries on, taking weather in its stride.
As confidence builds, I realize the mini is extremely capable as far as handling is concerned. Every now and then the instrument cluster throws out the black ice warning, due to temperatures falling below 5 degrees or so, but thankfully, there is nothing on the road.
Stopping for pics is not really an option in this rain, but some scenes, make you stop, rain or no rain
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003477xl.jpg

Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003478xl.jpg

As we head further, traffic totally thins out, and its us, the storm and the road. The winds are picking up, and every gust shakes the car. Rock you like a hurricane, this weather!
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-nex5n01284xl.jpg

With lunchtime looming, the clouds decide to give us some respite, and we find a nice pit stop
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003479xl.jpg

Thankfully, the benches are not too wet, and the scenery is awesome
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003480xl.jpg

Very soon, we would be leaving the fjords, and heading towards the Oldenvatnet

With the smooth inviting curves, and the rain turning into a manageable drizzle, we make good progress now.
And then we reach heaven.
There are few places which can wow you in any weather. And this is one of them
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-nex5n01288xl.jpg

There is always this urgency to reach, but that has to take a backseat. I mean... this is wow. Imagine, if there were no clouds, just deep blue of the sky
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-nex5n01290xl.jpg

The magic of Oldenvatnet
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003490xl.jpg

There is a word called picture perfect. Every wonder what it means...? Well this
Sonata Arctica : Chasing the Aurora-d70003495xl.jpg

We linger here for some time, but the glacier is waiting. This lake will be enjoyed more when there are no deadlines. So goodbye... until our return journey.

Its past 3pm when we reach the parking lot, it seems quite windy, and there is no one here.
I get out of the car, and the wind almost drags me off the parking lot.

So hunched down, we head towards the shelter of the shopping mall. The wind speed is atleast 70kmph, and its raining. I guess, this short hike is going to be part flying... part walking!
tsk1979 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 06:07   #164
BHPian

What an amazing travelogue!. The presentation and narration are captivating and the best bits are the photographs which really brings Norway into our homes.
Having lived in a cold country (UK) for 13 odd years, I was not expecting to see much in a scandinavian country. But I was proven wrong and pleasantly surprised to read your travelogue.
Kudos to you for having undertaken the trip and thanks a lot for sharing them.
Wishing you many more miles of motoring and adventure. Keep them coming.
alphadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 08:59   #165
BHPian

Thank you for such a wonderful travelogue. You have successfully instilled a hope and dream, in me and my better half, to travel to Norway. Honestly, I didn't even know that such a place existed where the aurora can be seen by naked eyes. Thank you so much for showing us this beautiful heavenly place and, more importantly, somehow subtly, get us thinking that this trip can be possible. Please remember that the majority of us here may not have travelled outside of our mother land for vacation. But the idea of saving major costs for food (taking food packets from India) and stay (with cooking options) was simply brilliant. This in turn helps us to overcome the fear of "impossible" and turns it into "just might be possible, let's try it". That my dear friend is very valuable for me.

May I sincerely request you to update this travelogue. I am guessing only the last 2 days updates, plus the cost break up, is remaining. Please, for the sake of hopers and dreamers like me, please do give us the updates. Thanks again.

Regards,
Narayan
Crazy_cars_guy is offline   Reply With Quote