Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 7th November 2013, 08:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2

First let me say, superbly written travelogue, with some really good pics too. Good to see that your enthusiasm was not dampened by the cyclone having passed through.

But I am a bit confused by the quoted section, especially since you seem to have come to Puri quite a few times before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Soon we crossed Mahanadi through the 2.2kms long bridge and entered Bhubaneshwar. Around 3pm the city traffic was less and it hardly took 20 minutes to cross the city and reach Puri- Bhubaneshwar road. I was surprised to see this road has now become a one way road in most of the stretch. 20kms prior to Puri we decided to have Coconut break!
After the 2.2km bridge over the Mahanadi you dont enter Bhubaneswar, but Cuttack. You enter Bhubaneswar after you reach Pahal, home to the famous Pahal rasgulla. You enter the really dense part of Bhubaneswar, after you pass 3 more bridges after crossing the 2.2km Mahanadi bridge, the first over the Kathjori just after Cuttack, the 2nd over the Kuakhia and the 3rd over a large natural drainange channel just before Bhubaneswar.

In fact, to go to Puri you barely enter Bhubaneswar proper at all now that the bypass has been opened. The bypass towards Puri starts just after you cross the 3rd bridge I talked about above. And going through Cuttack on the NH5 is not really much trouble except for just a few peak hours. Going through Bhubaneswar is a completely different story.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 19:17   #17
BHPian

Default re: Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
First let me say, superbly written travelogue, with some really good pics too. Good to see that your enthusiasm was not dampened by the cyclone having passed through.

But I am a bit confused by the quoted section, especially since you seem to have come to Puri quite a few times before.

After the 2.2km bridge over the Mahanadi you dont enter Bhubaneswar, but Cuttack. You enter Bhubaneswar after you reach Pahal, home to the famous Pahal rasgulla. You enter the really dense part of Bhubaneswar, after you pass 3 more bridges after crossing the 2.2km Mahanadi bridge, the first over the Kathjori just after Cuttack, the 2nd over the Kuakhia and the 3rd over a large natural drainange channel just before Bhubaneswar.

In fact, to go to Puri you barely enter Bhubaneswar proper at all now that the bypass has been opened. The bypass towards Puri starts just after you cross the 3rd bridge I talked about above. And going through Cuttack on the NH5 is not really much trouble except for just a few peak hours. Going through Bhubaneswar is a completely different story.
Good to know you liked the travelogue.

Yes you are correct, actually there are few small bridges you have to cross after the 2.2kms long bridge. I have gone through this route many times but frankly speaking i myself was always confused where the Cuttack City ends and from where Bhubaneswar city starts. Thanks for clarifying the fact.

Crossing the Bhubaneswar city during after noon is easy but once while coming back from Puri i was stuck for about an hour at morning 9Am. That was back in 2011. But the new bypass which i saw has been made newly to skirt the city is excellent and atleast saves 30 minutes for the puri going tourists.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 19:47   #18
BHPian

Oho and yet another excellent write up....
and the pictures are great as usual
Keep blogging and writing such great reviews
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 12:49   #19
BHPian

Wonderful travelogue, Samba. The info you've furnished are definitely going to be great help in my upcoming Puri trip. I have almost an identical itinerary sans the Phailin.
psurelia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 15:25   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Samba, some striking pictures there. Good that you had your own vehicle for the trip.

I too visited Puri last weekend. I would reserve my comments for the place, but would like to add that we were duped for the Chilika trip. We had arranged for Chilika travel and the driver took us to the another Chilika site rather than Satapada. This, when I asked him specifically to take us to Satapada. When I confronted him and asked a few other vendors at that place for Satapada (for OTDC boats); all had a similar story to tell that how violence erupted at Satapada and hence the place is currently closed. Had no option but to pay a hefty Rs. 2,220/- for a boat ride to the Dolphin park. To top it up, we were issued a receipt for 1700 bucks only. Blatant lies & felt cheated and had to somehow control my anger.

I would say that if one is looking for just a beach holiday, there are lot of better options than Puri. In fact, Tajpur & Mandarmani, which I visited last month were much much better. That, of course, is my opinion.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 20:07   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurelia View Post
Wonderful travelogue, Samba. The info you've furnished are definitely going to be great help in my upcoming Puri trip. I have almost an identical itinerary sans the Phailin.
Thanks a lot. Great to know it was helpful for you.
Am adding a few more points below, so it might be useful to you as you are planning to go soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
We had arranged for Chilika travel and the driver took us to the another Chilika site rather than Satapada. This, when I asked him specifically to take us to Satapada.
Sorry to here about that Saket. Am aware of this malpractice very well. That's why i mentioned it in the 6th point of my second post under 'Few tips which can help others visiting Puri.'

Local taxi driver's , auto rickshaw and rickshaw pullers taking you for a ride and fooling you is a common practice at Puri. Another common cheat you will find is on the beach. When they will see a lady member from your family they will bring those fake pearl's and try to sale them to you claiming them as original. They start anywhere from rs 5000! Once such guy came to us and i had a good time pass and i bargained a pearl from rs 5000 to rs5!
Those are nothing but plastics.

Now let me clear a point about Chilka. Satpara is not the real Chikla which earlier used to be. Satpara is the back side of the Chilka backwaters and this place is called as 'Satpara' not Chilka but for the sake of tourism locals converted it as Chilka. If you want to visit the original Chilka its 160kms from Puri and falls on the GQ. This place is after Borkul. I have been there in 2011 and its more vast than Satpara. If you proceed further 30kms there is a place called Rambha. Its even more beautiful and for staying OTDC guest house is also there.The water color of this place resemble close to Andaman or Phuket. Let me attach few pics for reference.

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-291953_204984226240145_234127991_n.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-293920_204984149573486_604870064_n.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-303867_204983949573506_261420287_n.jpg
If you stay at OTDC Rambha they can arrange you a breakfast at this place. Its in the middle of the back waters and used to be the break fast point for the Britishers.
Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-309062_204984046240163_328665451_n.jpg
See the colors. One will never get this color anywhere near Satpara. You can get it only when you take a boat from Rambha. (In a cloudy day do not expect these colors).
Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-316328_204984346240133_1109247169_n.jpg

If you have your own car visiting Chilka and Rambha is worth. I did it in a day trip from Puri. The total was 355kms. And as a note Goplapur is just another 50kms from Rambha. If one plans a night stay at Rambha, Gopalpur is easily doable. Puri to Goplapur and back is also possible in a day, have done that too but in that case you can't enjoy Gopalpur much. Puri- Rambha-Goplapur-Puri comes around 460kms. And don't kick me for this. Goplapur to Viazg is just another 258kms.

Note- Which ever place you visit from Puri but never miss the Puri to Konarak drive. Its one of the most scenic stretches in India.

The last stretch is a drive through the marine drive.
Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-298644_205087926229775_756295059_n.jpg

A random pic from the Puri Konarak stretch.
Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-298738_204983109573590_1863432827_n.jpg

And how can a Team Bhpian miss a wheel?
Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-317189_204984616240106_211307876_n.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 21st August 2014 at 20:19.
Samba is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 20:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
The water color of this place resemble close to Andaman or Phuket. Let me attach few pics for reference.

If you stay at OTDC Rambha they can arrange you a breakfast at this place. Its in the middle of the back waters and used to be the break fast point for the Britishers.

See the colors. One will never get this color anywhere near Satpara. You can get it only when you take a boat from Rambha. (In a cloudy day do not expect these colors).

Note- Which ever place you visit from Puri but never miss the Puri to Konarak drive. Its one of the most scenic stretches in India.

The last stretch is a drive through the marine drive.

A random pic from the Puri Konarak stretch.

And how can a Team Bhpian miss a wheel?
Thanks a lot for the invaluable tips, Samba. The pictures look out of the world. I heard that the photography-bug is an incurable disease and always wanted to stay away from it. But, the temptations you keep putting up on T-BHP are hard to resist! Let me see how far I can go without buying a DSLR (I hate to carry such a cannon-like thing on my trips ).
psurelia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 21:43   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Now let me clear a point about Chilka. Satpara is not the real Chikla which earlier used to be. Satpara is the back side of the Chilka backwaters and this place is called as 'Satpara' not Chilka but for the sake of tourism locals converted it as Chilka. If you want to visit the original Chilka its 160kms from Puri and falls on the GQ. This place is after Borkul. I have been there in 2011 and its more vast than Satpara. If you proceed further 30kms there is a place called Rambha. Its even more beautiful and for staying OTDC guest house is also there.The water color of this place resemble close to Andaman or Phuket. Let me attach few pics for reference.
Thanks a lot Samba for the Chilka information. I did not have a clue about it. Really an eye opener. And for the pearl scam, thankfully I was well aware of it. Some guys did try that trick on us. Sad to see these kind of practices; they are putting off the tourists this way. Not good for long term.

Thanks again for the detailed information.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 21:54   #24
BHPian

Quote:
If you have your own car visiting Chilka and Rambha is worth. I did it in a day trip from Puri. The total was 355kms. And as a note Goplapur is just another 50kms from Rambha. If one plans a night stay at Rambha, Gopalpur is easily doable. Puri to Goplapur and back is also possible in a day, have done that too but in that case you can't enjoy Gopalpur much. Puri- Rambha-Goplapur-Puri comes around 460kms.
The distance between Puri and Gopalpur used to be much less, only if you could travel by ferry (with your car) at Satpada and cross Chilka lake to reach the Krishnaprasad island on the opposite side. But this year in April I found out that the ferry services had closed down and no idea if it had reopened since.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014, 00:40   #25
BHPian

Updating our 2014 Puri trip.

Rather than creating a new travelogue its better to update my existing Puri travelogue.

It was more of a week end trip. We started on Friday. Spent Saturday , Sunday in Puri and headed back to Kolkata on Monday. More or else we visit Puri every year. Mom visits the Jagannatha temple, Dad loves the Puri sea and i love the drive. So as a family we have enough reasons to visit this place every year! Generally we do visit after the Durga Puja but this year i went for the North Sikkim road trip after the Durga Puja so we visited Puri in December. Another reason was my close college friends marriage was on 14th December at Puri. So we made a plan of going on 12th December and returning back on 15th.

This time we didn't go for much sight seeings apart from the Puri - Konark drive.

Day1 On 12th morning we started at 6-30am and reached Puri by 2-30pm with a 45 minutes break at Hotel Orion Bhadrak. The drive was smooth. Road through out is good except some bad patches and diversion's on the Nh60 between Kharagpur to Balasore but its nothing alarming. This 110kms stretch takes something between 1.40 hours to 2 hours depending on the driving speed.
We reached Puri by 2-30 pm so in the afternoon i and my dad went for a drive till Konark and back and Mom decided to take rest in the hotel. We love this stretch. At the end of the day the Odo reading was 575kms and got a mileage of 13.7 per liter & that too Non ac. I realized it was the effect of my heavy foot driving.

So from day 2 i shifted to economy mode from performance mode to save some fuel and cash! Day two was spent in and around Puri and visiting the Jagannatha temple.

On day 3 we decided to go for a drive again on the Konark road and we have heard of a nice beach opposite to Toshali Sand resort. This beach fall's under the forest department and you have to make a pass by paying a small amount, enter your credentials and then enter the forest gate to reach the beach. Its a nice 2.5 kms drive through the forest and at the end you are on the deserted beach. The entry time is till 5pm. We loved this over all experience and i must say its worth a visit. If lucky one can spot few wild life too.

The road through the forest.
Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_5247.jpg

We were back to hotel by 5pm. At 7pm i went to attend my friends wedding. He is from Bhubaneswar. I must say Odisha weddings are very gorgeous and full of life! I enjoyed thoroughly being a part of it! After attending this grand wedding i was back to hotel by 11-30pm.

Day 4 we started at 9-30am and reached Kolkata by 7pm. I drove lazily in the economy mode. I never crossed 110. Most of the time i was doing a steady 100. With 30% A/C Etios returned a mileage of 17 while returning!

While returning we had our lunch at Hotel Orion Bhadrak and around 5pm we reached Kolaghat. Decided to give a short break at the famous sher e punjab but to our surprise we saw a big multi cuisine restaurant opened just beside Sher e Punjab! Luckily that was the day of inauguration too! So we gave it a try and it was awesome. An excellent place to be in. The name of the place is Express food plaza. Its from the Ashoka group of hotels.

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4219.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4220.jpg

The total trip odometer reading came to 1277kms with an over all mileage of 15.9kms/liter.

Sharing few pics from the trip.

At the Puri- Konark road.
Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_5211.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_5221.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_5223.jpg

Chandrabhaga beach at Konark.

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_5227.jpg

Few people will never care to keep the beach clean.
Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_5232.jpg

Waves.
Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_5287.jpg

Sunset at Puri.
Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_5264.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_5266.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_5291.jpg

And regarding the performance of the ETIOS i was again ...! The more i drive the more i fall in love with this car!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 19th December 2014 at 05:38. Reason: Updated as requested.
Samba is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 22:14   #26
BHPian

Default Re: Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2

Updating our 2017 Puri trip

After our last Puri trip in 2014, the Himalayan bug have bitten us so hard in 2015/16 that all the trips were towards the mountains. So after a gap of 2 years we again planned to visit Puri this year.

This year in March we visited Rajasthan and visited Khuri in Jaisalmer. So me and my wife were jokingly naming this trip as 'From Khuri to Puri' ! It sounded better to me than from 'West to East'! The link of our Rajasthan Travelogue- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ota-etios.html (History, Sand, Hills & Forests - Our Rajasthan chapter from Kolkata in a Toyota Etios)
Rajasthan trip was with my wife but this time it was me, my parents and my wife, all four of us in our Etios.

A short summary of this years trip-

Day 1
Route- Kolkata- Kolaghat- Kharagpur- Belda- Jaleshwar- Balasore- Cuttack- Bhubeneshwar - Puri.

Road through out is great, except some undulations between Kharagpur to Balasore on SH60. Time taken to reach Puri was 7 hour-30 mins with 1 hour break. Distance from home to hotel was 500km.
Like every year, this year too our preferred stop was at Hotel Orion in Bhadrak. They do offer nice food with clean rest rooms.

Day 2
We spent the day lazily roaming around Puri and a short drive on the Puri- Konark road and the evening was spend visiting the famous Jagannatha temple.

Day 3
Woke up lazily and spent the morning in the sea beach & tried to gather some courage to take a sea bath but the end result was an epic failure! With all my courage i could manage only till knee deep water! The waves were big and looked scary to me.

The afternoon was spent driving around Puri to few of the other beaches and in the evening wife decided to go for some shopping. In the mean while i came to know Bhpian Scorpio25 was also at Puri. So we caught up and had a gala time chatting with him and his family on the sea beach.

Day 4
Started from Puri at 9am in the morning and took the same route which we took while going. Our stops were at Hotel Orion (Bhadrak) and at Hotel Abhijit (Kolaghat). By 5-30pm we were back home. It took us 8-30 mins with 1hour-40 mins break.

Total Odometer reading- 1157km.

Few pics from the trip-

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4166.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4168.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4173.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4184.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4249.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4261.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4270.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4275.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4306.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4308.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4310.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4315.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4317.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4319.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4333.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4335.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4339.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4349.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4377.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4388.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4389.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4395.jpg

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_4396.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 2nd August 2017 at 22:35.
Samba is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2017, 19:30   #27
BHPian

Default Re: Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2

Awesome Samba !
Puri is a place which is always very close to my heart due to variety of reasons as you have rightly pointed out. Your lively narration and fantastic pictures made me fall in love with the place once again

Just posting here few phone camera pictures from our frequent Puri trips over the ages,at different times of the year
Attached Thumbnails
Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_20170524_125931.jpg  

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_20170604_134148.jpg  

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_20170708_201324.jpg  

Phailin (Cyclone) affected Puri-Satpara-Konark. In a Toyota Etios EDIT : Updates on Page 2-img_20170910_145536.jpg  

Last edited by ultimatechamp : 3rd November 2017 at 19:31.
ultimatechamp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote