Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 2nd November 2013, 16:52   #1
BHPian

Default Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise

Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise-img_4764.jpg
It has been almost 2 years since our group of Kudla Tuskers started and till now we had only couple of occasions where we rode 300 odd kms in a single day. Since we are due for our Leh ride, as a part of preparations we thought to have a practice ride to test our stamina.
Our primary focus was to enjoy the ride rather than visiting different places. So we limited ourselves to few places. Soon our trip was finalized and we decided to visit Wayanad with a group of 5 bikes CL350, CBR250, P200NS, Avenger and Apache RTR180.
Day 1: Oct 2
Starting Point: Bangalore
Destination: Wayanad
Route: There are 3 routes to reach Wayanad and we chose the route 1 through HD Kote as we thought it might be nearer and will be having less traffic. Though it was proved wrong later. Read below for the details.
Route 1: Bangalore-Mysore-HDKote-Mananthavady-Kalpetta-Vythri-Wayanad
Route 2: Bangalore-Kanakapura-Mysore-Manathavady-Kalpetta-Vythri-Wayanad.
Route 3: Bangalore-Kanakapura-Chamrajanagar-Sulthan Batteri-Kalpetta-Vythri-Wayanad.

We started around 5am from Kengeri and we reached Mysore around 9. We started searching for Hotel Mylari in Nazarabad. Soon with the help of gps we could locate it. Within no time our tummy was full with 3 oil free dosas with coconut chatni and sagoo which costed 25rs per dosa and a cup of tea. Since we had to cover quite a few distance without wasting any we started from Mysore, we took inner ring road to enter Mananthavady road. Luckily there was no rain and we continued our journey without any blockades. Road till Nagarahole reserve forest is good and you can cruise in 70-90 kms. It is a typical Mysore district road where you will find lot of humps than in any parts of Karnataka. And to test your alertness, you will get quite of few uninvited guests who from nowhere suddenly pops up in the middle of the road, so drive safe in this stretch.
Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise-img_4496.jpg

Kabini back water

Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise-img_4515.jpg

Road inside Nagarahole national forest is closed and you will find a new road being constructed right next to forest check post. It is a mud road with lot of potholes and dust, chances of hitting a flying stone are very high so be watchful. With a bumpy ride it took almost 45 mins to travel a distance 15kms. Not only our bikes where feeling the heat, our bums too was crying out loud After a dusty ride we entered the outskirts of Nagarahole national forest and we could quite a few deers grazing road side and we missed a leopard by whisker.
Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise-img_4532.jpg

Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise-img_4533.jpg

By the time we reached Mananthavady it was 2pm and it was time for us to listen to our stomach. In Kerala, no matter what it is very rare sight you find a good Veg hotel. Luckily we were able to find a Udupi hotel in the heart of the city and since there is no proper parking space we had to park our bikes in a nearby complex. Lunch was ordinary with typical Kerala brown rice and since we were hungry we didn't bothered much about the taste.
Our initial plan was to visit Menumatty falls and Banasurasagar dam. Since we were already behind schedule we decided to skip Menumatty falls. We left to Banasurasagar Dam which is known for its scenic beauty and more so this below pic will remind you of Aliyar dam near Pollachi.
Banasurasagar Dam

Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise-img_4565.jpg

Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise-img_4566.jpg

Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise-s1w.jpg
Somehow tried to redo our childhood pose
Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise-img_4572.jpg

By the time we left Banasurasagar Dam it was 5.30pm and our plan was to reach Lakkidi view point as early as possible before the sun sets.
Lakkidi viewpoint
Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise-img_4622.jpg

Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise-img_4623.jpg

As we were planning to leave Lakkidi, rain god after a long rest woke up with a bang. Since it was pitching dark and it started raining heavily, we thought to call for the day and got into decent budget hotel nearby named Thushara which is about 3kms from the Lakkidi viewpoint towards Vythri. Rooms were clean and got good covered parking too. A typical 4 bed room costed around 2500rs which I feel is quite reasonable. Since it was raining and it was too dark I couldn't take the photos, so please excuse.

Days Summary
Distance travelled: 346kms
Overnight stay: Hotel Thushara

Last edited by DragonHawk : 4th November 2013 at 09:49.
DragonHawk is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 20:33   #2
BHPian

Default re: Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise

Day 2: Oct 3
Starting point: Vythri
Destination: Bangalore

As per previous night discussion, we decided to reach Mysore by 4pm as we were desperate to avoid Mysore-Bangalore evening traffic. So we had planned to leave hotel by 6.30am and visit Lakkidi viewpoint to get panoramic view again before setting off to Bangalore. To my utter surprise all 9 of us were ready by 6 itself and till now in our trips I never witnessed such a discipline from my guys
Morning view from Lakkidi
Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise-sw3.jpg

At around 8am we left to Pookot Lake but unfortunately it was closed and were told it won`t open before 9. Unwilling we left to Vythri and on the way we stopped for a breakfast in a highway side hotel. Hotel was very decent but rates were on the costlier side. We had a quick discussion about days plan, inorder to manage time we had to remove many places from our list. Following were the places which we intended to visit Edakkal Cave,Sentinel Rock Waterfalls,Kanthanpara Waterfalls and Soochippara Waterfalls.

Of all we had managed to visit only Soochippara Waterfalls which was about 31kms from Vytrhi. We took a deviation to Meppadi from Chundale, roads were good with lot of curves and you should be ready to face some rash driving from local buses.
On the way to Soochippara waterfalls.
Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise-img_4655_1.jpg

Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise-img_4656_1.jpg

Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise-img_4658_1.jpg

Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise-img_4678_1.jpg

Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise-img_4683_1.jpg

Soochippara waterfalls

Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise-sw2.jpg

We left Soochippara around 12.30 and decided to have our lunch at Sultan Batteri which was about 41kms. By 2pm we were in hotel having typical south indian meal. Lunch was very good and if you are a veggie and it is the only hotel you will get in Sultan Batteri. Unfortunately like always I didn't see the hotel name but you will find it just before IndianOil petrol bunk in the main road.
Once our daemon was satisfied it was around 2.30 we left batteri and soon we were cruising the roads of Bandipur National Forest.

Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise-img_4726_1.jpg

Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise-img_4727_1.jpg

Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise-img_47583.jpg

Quite rightly drive through the forest of Bandipur is one among the 50 places to visit in India before you turn 30
http://www.thrillophilia.com/blog/50...e-you-turn-30/

It was uneventful ride till Mysore and by the time we left Mysore it was around 6pm and definitely wrong time if you are travelling to Bangalore in a motorcycle. No matter how much experienced biker you are, insane traffic with no lane discipline will shake you of a bit. It took us around 4hrs to reach our destination with total 4 breaks in between. Though our buts were aching and our body was in bad shape it was truly one of best rides I ever had. I am sure you will miss those amazing scenery, great roads with great curves. I would recommend all bikers should do a ride to this heaven on this earth.

Day's summary
Distance covered: 367 kms
Route travelled:
Vythri->Meppadi->Sulthan Batteri->Gundlupet->Mysore->Bangalore

Cheers,
DH

Last edited by DragonHawk : 3rd November 2013 at 04:19.
DragonHawk is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 10:03   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Wayanad: Journey to biker's paradise

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 11:07   #4
Team-BHP Support

A perfect bike-log! And nice snaps to supplement it too. I have another pending visit to Waynad esp North Waynad.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 11:17   #5
BHPian

Good ride. The photos were amazing. Makes me recollect memories of our drive to Sultan Bathery during Dec-2012.

One small message... 'Wayanad' is the name of the district which comprises all these towns like Sultan bathery, Kalpetta , Vythiri etc.

Thanks for sharing !
Ddrive is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 11:30   #6
BHPian

Moderator note: Pleas use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead of back to back posts. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
A perfect bike-log! And nice snaps to supplement it too. I have another pending visit to Waynad esp North Waynad.
Thanks Ampere!

You shouldn't miss this beauty of nature and to be frank with you, before we made this trip we have been postponing it since 1 year and now we are repenting for not planning it before, because this place is not meant for visiting once it eludes you to keep visiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
Good ride. The photos were amazing. Makes me recollect memories of our drive to Sultan Bathery during Dec-2012.

One small message... 'Wayanad' is the name of the district which comprises all these towns like Sultan bathery, Kalpetta , Vythiri etc.

Thanks for sharing !
Thanks for compliments, I will forward it to our group`s official photographer Rajendra Prasad .

Earlier I thought Wayanad is some place, may be a district headquarters something. But later I found Kalpetta is the headquaters and Wayanad includes all these towns.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th November 2013 at 11:59.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote