Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 19th November 2013, 18:52   #1
BHPian

Default From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut

Few months without driving my XUV made me feel incomplete.My hometown is in the blue hills of Ooty, and i love driving around there.But due to my work and study i had to be away for a few months.I came back home for a few days and wanted to drive away someplace for the weekend.Cause i had only two days i needed the trip to be short and fun, someplace warm and sunny.So the best option in my mind was CALICUT.
4 to 5 hours of drive, clean beach, my wife had never been to Kerela so decided to give her a trailer.

The vehicle was cleaned,bags packed and the trip planned.The route i chose was as follows:-

From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-ooty-calicut.png

The Route was decided and we were off.Till Gudalur the roads were sort of bad but they got worse as the kilometers dropped.After entering Kerela the roads were literally ploughed. I couldn't drive any faster than 30km/hr and dodging the potholes turned into a mental and physical puzzle.
I thought the descend from 7500ft would be quick but it never ended, the road was not inclined enough and after a few hours i was still in the hills.Anyway i wouldn't let the bad road spoil my mood so the thought of cool breeze and warm sand soothed my mind.
It was quite a while when it started looking like typical kerela with narrow clean roads and an overwhelming sight of shades of green.
The traffic was ok with occasional reckless drivers trying to overtake each other and driving in the middle of the road.

After reaching calicut i headed straight for the beach, it was dusk and the sun was setting fast, i wasn't looking for a swim but rather looking for a resort.So i fired up my Trip advisor app and bean searching for resorts and hotels.
None of the reviews were that good, but came across a resort called "Kappad Beach resort".It was nice there.Very affordable as they were giving 50% discount for sea facing cottages.I guess they weren't having any customers hence the discount.It was neat and clean with ayurvedic massage facilities and a good restaurant.Finally stayed the night some good food and enjoyed a drink of Johnny black.(No drink and drive done).

The next day morning it was time to head to the beach, it was very clean and not much crowded, in fact we were the only family in the water at that time.It was a good beach i parked the car right in front of the shore so i could keep a watch on it.There were police patrols also to keep the surrounding safe.
There were two beaches in calicut, one is called the Calicut beach, that is where i believe Vasco Da Gama landed to discover India and start a trade.There are a few Portuguese styled buildings and churches.The other one is where i was at called the Kappad Beach.
Calicut is a nice town, but i was expecting some sea side local restaurants to cook me the fresh catch.I thought it would be like Cochin or Goa or Pondicherry where there are lot of activities.But it was all quiet here.
The government has spent a lot maintaining the beaches and shore lined walkways with parks and benches to relax unfortunately i think the forgot to maintain it.Everything is eroding away, weeds growing everywhere, still there were families enjoying the weekend.

After that we retired to our rooms and after some good moments spent with family i decided to hit the bed as i had to drive back the next day.The main thing running in my mind was not to go back the same way instead look for a better way.
So the next day i sat and found another route which was almost 30-40 kms longer but the roads we smooth.Came across some beautiful views, silent valley and some dense forests.This route was definitely longer but relaxing.
From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-img_0793.jpg
From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-img_0795.jpg

All packed and ready for the road
From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-_dsc0488.jpg

Dad before the set off (What do you think about the T-Bhp Stickers)
From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-_dsc0491.jpg

Stopped for a click
From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-_dsc0495.jpg

A quick stop for evening tea.
From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-_dsc0496.jpg

It looks beastly at night.
From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-_dsc0501.jpg

The Kappad Beach
From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-_dsc0502.jpg
From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-_dsc0503.jpg

Wife,Mom and Dad
From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-_dsc0504.jpg

From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-_dsc0507.jpg
From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-_dsc0510.jpg

The Dolphins near the shore.I was in the water and some guy started shouting SHARK SHARK, I turned around and saw something which looked like Fins about 20-30 feet away from me, i thought i was a goner but after a better look i recognised the nose and realised it was a Dolphin.There were about 3 of them, playing.
From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-_dsc0528.jpg
From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-_dsc0534.jpg
From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-_dsc0537.jpg

Me Desperately looking for another way home.
From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-img_2397.jpg

Alternate and better route decided.
From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-calicut-ooty.png

This was the view during the way back.If you are travelling on this road better be alert as drivers are not very well trained in hill driving and lot of accidents tend to happen.I am a hill station guy so i sort of predicted the road and driving skill of other drivers.Especially guys on bikes.They get all excited up there loose control.So maintain your distance.
From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-_dsc0551.jpg
From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-_dsc0552.jpg
From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-_dsc0553.jpg
From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-_dsc0554.jpg
From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut-_dsc0555.jpg

We started very late from calicut, so it was around 10:30 when i reached home.Thankfully the roads were smooth and less traffic, after the town of kalpetta it was just me roaring around the tea estates and forests.Would advise to travel during daytime on this route as there is nobody around and very less traffic.
Im sorry i did not do any fuel or miles calculation as this was a very sudden and short trip.
It was a well spent weekend.I will be planning to go on a longer trip by december.Maybe Goa.
Until then Drive Safe and Enjoy.

Last edited by DocRock : 19th November 2013 at 20:43. Reason: Added some more content.
DocRock is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 15:16   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: From the Hills to the Beach : Ooty -> Calicut

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 08:29   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRock View Post
Me Desperately looking for another way home.
You should have done : Kalpetta-Meppadi-Gudalur. That would have been nicer driving through those estates.

On a different note, I was smiling while reading your log; thinking:
"An Ooty man also wants to find a vacation spot"

Nice log. The beaches look clean.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 09:29   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You should have done : Kalpetta-Meppadi-Gudalur.

On a different note, I was smiling while reading your log; thinking:
"An Ooty man also wants to find a vacation spot"

Nice log. The beaches look clean.

Next time will try your suggestion.
Ooty is a tourist destination but for people who live there it gets pretty boring.

Love the Eddie in your display pic.
DocRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 18:34   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRock View Post
The Dolphins near the shore. I turned around and saw something which looked like Fins about 20-30 feet away from meThere were about 3 of them, playing.
Wow sighting dolphins so close, we have to pay some 1600 bucks to go on a boat ride for about an hour plus to sight these lovely things and it is purely by luck.We just came back from a trip to Tarkarli beach this month but we were lucky and really excited to see them.(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...hudurg-mh.html (Beached at Tarkarli Beach, Sindhudurg (MH))) So you were really lucky.
Coonoor is one my favourite destination, nice to know that you are from the queen of hills.

If you are a foodie there are quite a few hotels in Calicut that serve real exotic and mouth waterig dishes. In fact they say that one can spend a day in Calicut just to eat. Cheers maju
majumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 19:36   #6
BHPian

[quote=DocRock;3297748]There were two beaches in calicut, one is called the Calicut beach, that is where i believe Vasco Da Gama landed to discover India and start a trade.There are a few Portuguese styled buildings and churches.The other one is where i was at called the Kappad Beach.

Nice TL. Your trip made me put my self into the other person's shoes. We the beach dwellers most normally land up in hill stations for our vacations. Thekkady, Munnar, Ooty, Kodai, Yercaud, Vayanad, Nelliampathy etc. But the other way should be like this. BTW, we were in Ooty during this September.

BTW; Please correct me if am wrong. Vasco Da Gama landed at Kappad (Kappakadavu) beach in the year 1498 and there is a memorial stone at the Kappad beach which states so. My visits to Kappad was in 1998(500th anniversary) of this landing and again during last year.

Looking forward for more TLs.
philgrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:41   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by majumon View Post
Wow sighting dolphins so close
Yeah i was lucky to be so close to dolphins, Only if i had some fish or something i could have fed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrac View Post

Nice TL. Your trip made me put my self into the other person's shoes. We the beach dwellers most normally land up in hill stations for our vacations. Thekkady, Munnar, Ooty, Kodai, Yercaud, Vayanad, Nelliampathy etc. But the other way should be like this. BTW, we were in Ooty during this September.

Looking forward for more TLs.
Yeah us Hillmen look for warm beaches and sunny weathers.Too much of something is not good and tend to get bored easily.There are hundreds of secret and scenic spots in and around ooty, I love driving there but once in a while a different view is required.
Next time if you guys are in ooty let me know.
DocRock is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 10:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice Travelogue.

Kappad beach is my favorite beach in Calicut. Calicut beach is very crowded, but there are attractions for kids like kyte flying and snacks. Another decent beach is Beypore beach - there is a lighted walkway which goes a couple of kilometers into the sea.

I did a Calicut - Ooty trip from Bangalore early this year. My kids loved the beaches in Calicut. We loved the food there.

Nice to see someone going from Ooty to Calicut on a holiday.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 11:01   #9
BHPian

I agree with Ampere. People from allover South ache for a chance to visit Ooty but people there yearn to have the same urge to go out and see the plains. Nice post Doc. Please add more pics if possible.
venkatt1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 11:05   #10
BHPian

Majumon, can you please share us a detailed post of those eating outlets in Calicut. Would be very useful for non veg foodies like myself.
venkatt1800 is offline   Reply With Quote