Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 26th January 2014, 14:17   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D

As you near the top, you begin to realise how big the dome is....

Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5362.jpg

But to reach the top you have to climb quite a few steps - and they are also higher than normal ones
Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5380.jpg
vrprabhu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 16:17   #17
BHPian

Aaahhhh... made it to the top.

Before we take a look at how it looks up close, take a minute to go back to post #12, and relook at the pictures on how it looked from ground.

Those were taken with about 3x zoom (to preserve as much clarity as possible).

Then, the see the picture below - the dome rises from a base as high as a normal man, at the top of monument.
Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5365.jpg

There is no way to capture it in a complete frame at the top. The best that could be done was to stand at one place and take two pictures, one ahead and one behind. Even so, you barely see 25% of the dome!

Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5366.jpg

Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5367.jpg
Old 26th January 2014, 16:45   #18
BHPian

A few random shots from the top before we actually enter top of the Gumbaz, and enter the famed whispering gallery.

(Trying to manage two threads at a time is like talking on a mobile while driving with one hand, which I NEVER do. Too dangerous, even if it is hands free; there is nothing that can't wait till you find a spot to pull over. Alternately, it is the co passenger who has to answer the phone. What I wanted to say was that, hope I don't mess up the uploads )
Attached Thumbnails
Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5362.jpg  

Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5363.jpg  

Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5364.jpg  

Last edited by vrprabhu : 26th January 2014 at 16:55. Reason: Rephrased - didn't want to convey wrong impression
Old 26th January 2014, 17:29   #19
BHPian

Default Disclaimer!

Disclaimer 1 -
Don't expect anyone to maintain discipline or decorum. Instead of silence what you are likely to hear is cacophony.

So the real life whispering experience can be ruled out - unless you can manage to make a visit with a VVIP and keep out the commoners. I can only thank the good sense that must have prevailed in all those who visited and helped by keeping it clean and tidy.

Disclaimer 2 -
Never ever attempt to click that which isn't meant to be photographed - especially with a point and shoot

The sound effects - even with the variety of shouting and howling going on - is unbelievable. And the echo goes around with such a clarity, you can only wonder what is the magic of the acoustics.

This is how it looks inside. ( The state of my camera is more clear than that of the Gumbaz :-( )
Attached Thumbnails
Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5352.jpg  

Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5369.jpg  

Old 27th January 2014, 10:18   #20
BHPian

Hopefully, this is a clearer picture of the dome -
Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5370.jpg

The viewing / whispering gallery. No pillars in between.
Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5373.jpg

This is how the dome is supported / created, I guess. Architects amongst us will be able to explain this was achieved. Superb engineering skills..... wonder how they estimated the girth, the weight and what foundation needs to be laid to support this mammoth structure?
Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5351.jpg
Old 27th January 2014, 10:45   #21
BHPian

A few random snaps from inside.

You know what I should have done? Recorded the ruckus inside the Gumbaz and uploaded the sound clip here - that would have be really eerie!

We were just wondering how it would be, if we were inside all alone after midnight and suddenly there is a flutter of the parrot wings - it would echo and go round and round.... we overheard one guide telling that in the right circumstances the echo takes place 21 times!
Attached Thumbnails
Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5350.jpg  

Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5368.jpg  

Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5371.jpg  

Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5374.jpg  

Old 27th January 2014, 10:52   #22
BHPian

This is just to show the girth of the walls...
Attached Thumbnails
Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5349.jpg  

Old 27th January 2014, 11:33   #23
BHPian

We go down - going down the stairs is more strain on the legs than climbing up, due to size of the steps. Were the people of those days endowed with longer legs?

A picture of the tombstones and what appears to be a lamp holder-
Attached Thumbnails
Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5353.jpg  

Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5381.jpg  

Old 27th January 2014, 11:38   #24
BHPian

One last look - before we head back to the actual purpose of the trip.....

Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5382.jpg

I leave with a strong feeling that I should come back and take a good look at Bijapur again - there are lot many more places to be seen, and half-a-day is sheer injustice.

Whew! Done - uploading and posting.

And, I haven't forgotten the promise at the beginning of the post; do I need to remind you what it is?
Old 27th January 2014, 12:09   #25
BHPian

Came out, and found this is how Bijapur looks on a Sunday!

Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5390.jpg
A far cry from the choc-a-bloc traffic at Mumbai & Pune.

This Tonga was waiting for tourists - even though it didn't feel right to see the horse strain to run pulling us on the cart, consoled ourselves saying that it was only a 3 ~ 4 minute ride and we weren't doing anything cruel ....

Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5388.jpg

Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5391.jpg

Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5392.jpg
Old 27th January 2014, 13:08   #26
BHPian

Started the return trip by about 3.30 PM.

As told earlier, the route was different.

Bijapur to Athani was flat and straight. Road was good in most of the stretches, but there were frequent speed breakers. Not much traffic, though. Had an eerie feeling was top of a mountain, rather than the plains?!

Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5393.jpg

Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5394.jpg

Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5395.jpg

Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5397.jpg

Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D-img_5398.jpg

Athani to Miraj wasn't great and Miraj to Sangli to Karad was bad.. Broken roads and too much traffic.

From Karad it is our good old Bangalore - Mumbai highway. No problem will 4 eyed cyclops :-).

But the maintenance is not up to the mark - there appears to be a lot of wear and tear compared to what it was three years ago. And frequent diversions - for flyovers and culverts?

After a dinner halt near Satara, reached home by midnight.

END.

PS - Hold your horses, I will reveal the teeny weeny tidbit, after the mods open the thread...
Old 28th January 2014, 00:51   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 07:13   #28
Team-BHP Support

Very detailed one VRP. And really good to note you went all the way to have a date with history (of course the drive part not withstanding ).
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 08:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Gumbazzed @ Bijapur :D

Prabhu,

Thanks a ton for the travelogue, came at a right time when I am planning to do a Thane-Bijapur run in March 2nd week. Bijapur is my home town, the pics bought back very fond memories of the Gol Gumbaz. The town seems to be undergone a mjor change since the last I had visited way back in 1992. Did you not visit the other sites such as Bara Kaman, Uppali Buruz etc. I am planning to stay in Bijapur for 3 days and visit Badami, Ailhole and nearby places too.

How's the road condition from Solapur to Bijapur? Are there any tolls enroute? What about refuleing options on the stretch. I was planning to take the NH4 till Pethi and then turn towards Sangli, Athani, Bijaupur route. How's the road condition there?
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 10:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Did you not visit the other sites such as Bara Kaman, Uppali Buruz etc.

How's the road condition from Solapur to Bijapur? Are there any tolls enroute? What about refuleing options on the stretch.

I was planning to take the NH4 till Pethi and then turn towards Sangli, Athani, Bijaupur route. How's the road condition there?
No - the visit was to attend a marriage and there was hardly any time. By the time we finished Gumbaz it was almost noon. Didn't feel like climbing the Uppali Bhurj in hot sun....

Solapur to Bijapur road is average. There is only one toll just as you leave Solapur - just Rs. 10/- (which is the cheapest on the entire route, BTW)

In some stretches, I feel that we must be paid toll - the car really gets a beating. Heavy vehicle traffic is high. Even in day time, I am not sure you can maintain good speed....

Road condition from Peth naka to Sangli is poor. Sangli to Athani is OK, but there are some bad stretches. Athani to Bijapur is better. There are enough fuel pumps till Athani. Thereafter, spotted only a few. I will recommend you to fuel on NH4 after Satara - I had tanked up just outside Pune and it lasted just till Sangli (just to ensure that I don't reach the bottom, put in 10 litres at Sangli - the engine felt distinctly 'hoarse', if you know what I mean). Thereafter, filled half tank at Karad - by the time I reached Khambatki Ghat, the engine was back to normal.

One more thing, Peth naka to Sangli route is quickly identifiable. But from there to Miraj needed the help of the locals. We nearly took a wrong turn coming out of Miraj...

Have a nice trip.
vrprabhu is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote