Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2006, 21:30   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 48
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

The last shot with the moon, is quite interesting. However, I have a feeling that the sky was more saturated than that is depicted here. You may like to touch up the saturation levels.
S Pathak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 08:16   #32
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,385
Thanked: 14,314 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Pathak
The last shot with the moon, is quite interesting. However, I have a feeling that the sky was more saturated than that is depicted here. You may like to touch up the saturation levels.
The last two photos were taken minutes apart. I had to close down so as to expose the moon correctly.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 18:33   #33
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,385
Thanked: 14,314 Times
Default

It is finally harvest time...

Paddy Field looks like this before harvesting...



A young rice stalk



A mature rice stalk



A harvested rice stalk (1:1 macro)


Closeup of a rice grain before dehusking.


More photos will follow once I post-process more, this time everything is shot in raw. But my photoshop skills are also raw, so don't expect anything great.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 19:47   #34
BHPian
 
prabuddhadg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 731
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Those are amazing pictures, from the locale to the clarity in the close ups. I think I will save one of the scenes as my wall paper.
BTW, am a city bloke and never knew a rice grain looked so complex up close.
I envy you for the place you get to live in.
So much water, what about mosquitoes?
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 20:24   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,345
Thanked: 790 Times
Default

Awesome pics Samurai ..Stunning !!!! Camera model Plsssssss.....
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 22:03   #36
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,385
Thanked: 14,314 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69
Awesome pics Samurai ..Stunning !!!! Camera model Plsssssss.....
Olympus EVolt-500...
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 00:45   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69
Awesome pics Samurai ..Stunning !!!! Camera model Plsssssss.....
No offence rjstyles69 but Camera is just the tool in the hands of the photographer. When you find the pictures to be good (like these ones), please give the credit to photographer. I am sure Samurai would have taken equally good pictures with any camera that would allow Macro shots. It takes time to compose and shoot close up pictures because focusing and DOF are very tricky.

Good pictures Samurai. For a city dweller like me, there is a lot of learning about paddy as well.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 09:39   #38
BHPian
 
dogdiga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 74
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Samurai,

The sky is over exposed in almost all of your pictures. Was that deliberately done?

Because i personally think that a properly exposed sky would bring a sense of vastness and calm to the whole composition. Just my thought...

Regards
dogdiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 09:42   #39
BHPian
 
sivadas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 487
Thanked: 53 Times
Default Thanks Thanks Thanks

Samurai, you made my day. I some how missed this thread all these days.
Reminded me of my high school days when I was living with my uncle in the ancestral house.
Exactly same scenes, we were calling it "Naatty" in our area( Taliparamba- Kannur-Kerala).
sivadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 11:26   #40
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,385
Thanked: 14,314 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdiga
The sky is over exposed in almost all of your pictures. Was that deliberately done?
Obviously. You are referring to the pictures posted on Sept 3rd I suppose, other pics hardly have any sky.

The main object of my photos was the paddy field. One cannot aim to expose everything correctly. As a photographer one has to choose some to be correctly exposed, some overexposed and some underexposed. This is because human can diferentiate 15-20 tones where as cameras (under normal circumstances) can only see 5 tones. So you gotta pick your 5 tones, ignore the rest. Therefore, in my effort to expose the dark green field, I overexposed the bright sky.

Of course, there are other ways to get around it. I could have used a graduated ND filter to correctly expose the sky, but I don't have that filter. Or I can shoot raw so that the gamma correction and the weak on-camera demosaicing doesn't rob all the extra tonals. That's why the latest series of photos are shot in raw. But one has to master the photoshop to bring it all out later. This is a shaky ground for me too, but I hope to eventually figure it out.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 12:56   #41
BHPian
 
dogdiga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 74
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

http://www.gimpguru.org/Tutorials/NDFilter/

This might help a bit
dogdiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 13:01   #42
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,385
Thanked: 14,314 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdiga
Thanks, probably CS2 has similar feature. I recently bought CS2, I am yet to explore it.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 13:32   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,345
Thanked: 790 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude
No offence rjstyles69 but Camera is just the tool in the hands of the photographer. When you find the pictures to be good (like these ones), please give the credit to photographer. I am sure Samurai would have taken equally good pictures with any camera that would allow Macro shots. It takes time to compose and shoot close up pictures because focusing and DOF are very tricky.
I understand what you mean hondadude . I am sure Samurai is an awesome photographer because I know what it takes to get such pic's. Photography is my hobby too and kinda realize how much onez mind should work when you need to get such good stuff.


Kudo's SAMURAI
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 15:46   #44
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,385
Thanked: 14,314 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69
I understand what you mean hondadude . I am sure Samurai is an awesome photographer because I know what it takes to get such pic's.
Man, you guys are too kind. I am still very average compared to certain members here, let alone remaining world.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 17:21   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

samurai, there is a wonderful brew coorgis make from rice.....no i cant remember the name, but it is better than the best scotch i have had in my life. why dont you say something about that please ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The story of the Standard 2000. 1985-1988 v12 The Indian Car Scene 185 13th July 2017 14:45
The Prancing Horse Story Stratos The International Automotive Scene 7 10th March 2006 19:25
3 word word story! vipulG Shifting gears 175 9th March 2005 17:11
scary story with happy ending? part 1 rahulcherian Street Experiences 9 23rd February 2005 20:32
Touching Ferrari DINO story! Stratos The International Automotive Scene 7 28th May 2004 11:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks