Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 1st February 2016, 18:00   #91
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Winter trip to Spiti in a Fortuner & Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by roymj88 View Post
Hi @.anshuman : Do you know as to how much amount of antifreeze should go into the tank?
Sorry for the late reply. One bottle is meant for 20 gallons of Diesel, that is approx 75 litres, one bottle for full tank for most SUV's.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 12:17   #92
BHPian

Amazing travelogue! This thread, single-handedly inspired a bunch of us to do this circuit in December. Hats off to you guys!

4 of us are doing this circuit (Delhi - Sarahan - Kibber and back) from 23rd (Thurs) to 29th Dec. We're taking a rental Scorpio 4WD.
Just curious, if there are any other folks/groups doing this circuit around the same time. It'll be re-assuring to have a second vehicle around the same time. Our biggest concern is getting stuck on the road, with no backup.
Also, I'm unable to find antifreeze online. Any idea, where can I procure this in Delhi NCR?

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 30th December 2016 at 23:09. Reason: Tlog = travelogue; Please use full English when posting and avoid sms language / shortforms.
texens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 15:34   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by texens View Post
Amazing Tlog ! This thread, single-handedly inspired a bunch of us to do this circuit in December. Hats off to you guys!
Thanks

Quote:
4 of us are doing this circuit (Delhi - Sarahan - Kibber and back) from 23rd (Thurs) to 29th Dec. We're taking a rental Scorpio 4WD.
Just curious, if there are any other folks/groups doing this circuit around the same time. It'll be re-assuring to have a second vehicle around the same time.
I have a friend who was thinking of doing the same route in his Gypsy. Have PM'ed you his number

Quote:
Our biggest concern is getting stuck on the road, with no backup.
You may want to worry about your rented vehicle breaking down and that's a valid concern but even that can be mitigated to an extent by hiring the vehicle a day early making sure everything works like it should and fluid levels and condition are acceptable. You should not worry too much about getting stuck on account of environmental conditions as that is a very real possibility. Instead you want to go into the valley with a a different mindset that your drive could end up getting extended by a few weeks at worst and you obviously need to plan for that (provisions and water)[/quote]

Quote:
Also, I'm unable to find antifreeze online. Any idea, where can I procure this in Delhi NCR?
Not sure where you can buy that in Delhi. The locals do add 200ml of kerosene into the diesel tanks of their sumos and boleros to keep diesel from freezing. We did not try that but instead used a stove to heat up the thar's tank as described earlier. Incase you are compelled to do the same, please do check if the tank and skid plate of the Scorpio are made of steel and not plastic.
satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 23:02   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
I have a friend who was thinking of doing the same route in his Gypsy. Have PM'ed you his number
Thanks satan.

Going a little , please excuse. This thread is, sort of, authority on this topic, and hence posting my questions here

I see, as per the weather forecast, no snow is expected in December on this route. The first snowfall is expected on 2nd Jan.
The rental car - Scorpio 4x4 that we were going to take from Myles on Thursday, met with an accident and is not available any more. As per Myles, they don't have any other 4x4 vehicles.
Question: Given the zero precipitation weather forecast, can this route be done in a 2wd without much hassle?

We're now thinking of taking our own car (Ecosport Diesel or Ecosport Ecoboost or Brezza) to Spiti.
Pros : We don't have to worry about the rental car being in top notch condition. We have maintained our cars well, so we can be assured that the chances of our car breaking down is much lower than a rental car.
Cons : A lot of wear and tear enroute? We all love our cars, don't we?

Question : What do you guys suggest with regard to personal car vs rental car on a tough route like this ?
Old 21st December 2016, 00:00   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks satan.

Going a little , please excuse. This thread is, sort of, authority on this topic, and hence posting my questions here

I see, as per the weather forecast, no snow is expected in December on this route. The first snowfall is expected on 2nd Jan.
The rental car - Scorpio 4x4 that we were going to take from Myles on Thursday, met with an accident and is not available any more. As per Myles, they don't have any other 4x4 vehicles.
Question: Given the zero precipitation weather forecast, can this route be done in a 2wd without much hassle?
absolutely

Quote:
We're now thinking of taking our own car (Ecosport Diesel or Ecosport Ecoboost or Brezza) to Spiti.
Please take the Brezza eyes shut

Quote:
Cons : A lot of wear and tear enroute? We all love our cars, don't we?
Question : What do you guys suggest with regard to personal car vs rental car on a tough route like this ?
Yes we do love our cars but I kind of disagree or perhaps have a very different mindset. I tend to keep my cars for a min of 10 yrs(call me old fashioned) According to me driving a hired vehicle doesn't even come close to driving your own car and the experience will help you gain a new found respect for it once you complete the trip.4 months ago I drove my 18 year old LC from Mumbai to Leh via Sach Pass. Incase you aren't aware the roads of Sach pass are like tyre shredders if you aren't careful with your vehicle and yet we managed to do the entire circuit without as much a scratch on any tyre. Roads upto Kaza from the Tabo side aren't that bad but you still have to drive patiently maybe even crawl at times. So its really up to how well you take care of your vehicle when on such trips.

Lastly there are around a dozen Maruti 800s and Altos in Kaza owned by the locals and they swear by them - just to give you some comfort...
satan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 00:43   #96
BHPian

Just got back from a 7 day trip to Kaza. The route we took - Delhi - Chandigarh - Tatapani - Kalpa - Pooh - Kaza - and back. We took a 2WD XUV 500. Had no difficulty any where except for a small stretch of ice at a slope near Nako Lake. We came across season's first snowfall at Kalpa, but that was it. There was hardly any snow anywhere on the road. Will share a detailed Tlog soon. Thanks to this thread and the corresponding video on YouTube for inspiring us to do this trip. In all probability, we'll be doing this route once again in January some year - when we can come across decent amount snow !
Thanks again !