Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 14th March 2014, 10:51   #46

Default Re: (Un)Chained Melody - 36 Hours of Snow, and the Manali Leh Highway

Hi TSK1979,

That is one hell'uva write up with a good pictorial description. Sooper travelogue this one.

keep it coming.

Cheers
The BULK!
The BULK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 12:28   #47
BHPian

Another TSK level travelogue, write up and rocking pictures. I actually have never seen it snow in India and it looks absolutely heavenly and beautiful. How did the WE hold up? How long before we see a new gen WE coming up?
supertinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 14:10   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Another TSK level travelogue, write up and rocking pictures. I actually have never seen it snow in India and it looks absolutely heavenly and beautiful. How did the WE hold up? How long before we see a new gen WE coming up?
I seriously hope my next car is not a "White Elephant".
That said, there can be one and only one WE, and I guess I will try and keep her for 50,000kms more atleast(150,000 on the odo).
With regular servicing and preventive maintenance, she should hold up fine.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 19:24   #49
BHPian

Excellent write up Tanveer. You surely do make use of your WE.
Btw, just a suggestion.. Try to get the snow off your WE's roof as well when you wait for the paronthas reason being.. Snow when solidifies would fall on your bonnet in case of hard braking and you might end up with a dent there!! Cheers mate.
Dragonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 23:11   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I seriously hope my next car is not a "White Elephant".
That said, there can be one and only one WE, and I guess I will try and keep her for 50,000kms more atleast(150,000 on the odo).
With regular servicing and preventive maintenance, she should hold up fine.
Awesome read. Loved the way the WE supported you.

50000 + more - great. I think you are trying hard for an opportunity to give a lashing to the Tata guys by taking your WE to those where others would dread, but your WE seems to be haivng the last laugh each time

Fabulous Travelogue and thoroughly enjoyed. And i love these elephants on wheels.
jkrishnakj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 23:45   #51
BHPian

One amazing travelogue, tsk1979!

Bookmarking it for future reference.
one-77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 00:40   #52

As always, amazing write up and superb pics tanveer. Your travelogues are like bible for some of us who long and yearn to drive to these places.
Sameer_Gupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 21:09   #53
BHPian

Great posts Tanveer. It brought back memories of childhood. Dad used to be posted in remote areas. I remember areas around Dalhousie (Chamba) used to be particularly heavily snowed. All the gypsys used to wear snow chains and move in a convoy. It was thrilling to wade through snow walls. Every now and then there used to be some scary moments when vehicle used to skid off. You doing it in a vehicle as big as safari is absolutely commendable.
I live in Shimla, and it snowed here last month. The Army guys put up snow chains even during 6-7 inches on snow. I guess 'go prepared' is the mantra in Army.
vibhavraghav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 06:18   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome pictures, videos and narration!! Rated 5 starts. This is an inspiration. I have to be there during the winter months. You have mentioned that the Safari has problems at high altitude with low temperature. What kind of problems? Starting problems or lack of power? Will the Bolero Di have the same problems? Sorry for so many questions.
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 10:59   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonov View Post
Excellent write up Tanveer. You surely do make use of your WE.
Btw, just a suggestion.. Try to get the snow off your WE's roof as well when you wait for the paronthas reason being.. Snow when solidifies would fall on your bonnet in case of hard braking and you might end up with a dent there!! Cheers mate.
LOL, yea I know about that risk. But the ice cream effect is too good to destroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Awesome read. Loved the way the WE supported you.

50000 + more - great. I think you are trying hard for an opportunity to give a lashing to the Tata guys by taking your WE to those where others would dread, but your WE seems to be haivng the last laugh each time

Fabulous Travelogue and thoroughly enjoyed. And i love these elephants on wheels.
Yup, WE has the last laugh, and I have the hair raising moment every time some light comes on on the dashboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhavraghav View Post
Great posts Tanveer. It brought back memories of childhood. Dad used to be posted in remote areas. I remember areas around Dalhousie (Chamba) used to be particularly heavily snowed. All the gypsys used to wear snow chains and move in a convoy. It was thrilling to wade through snow walls. Every now and then there used to be some scary moments when vehicle used to skid off. You doing it in a vehicle as big as safari is absolutely commendable.
I live in Shimla, and it snowed here last month. The Army guys put up snow chains even during 6-7 inches on snow. I guess 'go prepared' is the mantra in Army.
Wow, must be quite an interesting experience. And being in Shimla means, even in March you have to drive 2 hours to get good snow in Narkanda. Delhi is too far away from the mountains!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Awesome pictures, videos and narration!! Rated 5 starts. This is an inspiration. I have to be there during the winter months. You have mentioned that the Safari has problems at high altitude with low temperature. What kind of problems? Starting problems or lack of power? Will the Bolero Di have the same problems? Sorry for so many questions.
At high altitude(3500m+) in low temp(zero or below), safari gives lot of starting trouble. Solution is to cover engine bay with tarp at night, and warm up the engine.
For Bolero DI, if it has glow plugs, it should be fine. Just cover engine with tarp.

Secondly, my sedimeter was full of water, but dashboard warning light did not glow. So I used to get icing related fuel blockage. Drained it, and things seem to be much better now!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 13:01   #56
Senior - BHPian

Awesome log yet again tsk! I am astonished TML hasn't gifted you a Storme yet - would be the best investment they ever make on marketing! Lol!

OT: With Ladakh plans washed out this year (elections!), am thinking of some alternative destinations in HP around the same time (April 22 onwards). How is Manali during this time? Too crowded? Have also posted a similar query on BCMT.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 13:23   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Awesome log yet again tsk! I am astonished TML hasn't gifted you a Storme yet - would be the best investment they ever make on marketing! Lol!

OT: With Ladakh plans washed out this year (elections!), am thinking of some alternative destinations in HP around the same time (April 22 onwards). How is Manali during this time? Too crowded? Have also posted a similar query on BCMT.
Manali will be crowded, but not very much so. Crowds start in first week of may. however, if you want to head upwards towards Rohtang, best is to start very early morning.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 13:53   #58
BHPian

Absolutely brilliant pictures. Can't imagine how beautiful it might be to actually be there. Places like these are testimony to beauty of nature and India.
arun_kun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 14:48   #59
Team-BHP Support

Default Day 2 #12 : Mayday Mayday....

As the snow gets heavier, and it gets darker, we decide to head downwards
(Un)Chained Melody - 36 Hours of Snow, and the Manali Leh Highway-d70005892xl.jpg

(Un)Chained Melody - 36 Hours of Snow, and the Manali Leh Highway-d70005894xl.jpg

A view from the drivers seat. The cleared section is all white now, with 6 inches on the road!
(Un)Chained Melody - 36 Hours of Snow, and the Manali Leh Highway-20140301_170153xl.jpg

(Un)Chained Melody - 36 Hours of Snow, and the Manali Leh Highway-d70005896xl.jpg

(Un)Chained Melody - 36 Hours of Snow, and the Manali Leh Highway-20140301_171215xl.jpg

But we are not complaining. The racket of cables and chains is muffled again in the soft snow
(Un)Chained Melody - 36 Hours of Snow, and the Manali Leh Highway-d70005899xl.jpg

We reach the hydro plant, and surprise surprise, there is a bolero camper 4x4 here. The movie crew team has come again to scount for locations. As they spin the wheels, we pass them and decide to stop again for pic taking.
However, they catch up with us again, and I decide to park into the snow bank to make enough way to pass. With the engine grunting, we make our own road

(Un)Chained Melody - 36 Hours of Snow, and the Manali Leh Highway-20140301_173433xl.jpg

The snowfall is now full on!
(Un)Chained Melody - 36 Hours of Snow, and the Manali Leh Highway-20140301_174112xl.jpg

(Un)Chained Melody - 36 Hours of Snow, and the Manali Leh Highway-d70005902xl.jpg

(Un)Chained Melody - 36 Hours of Snow, and the Manali Leh Highway-d70005903xl.jpg

(Un)Chained Melody - 36 Hours of Snow, and the Manali Leh Highway-d70005904xl.jpg

(Un)Chained Melody - 36 Hours of Snow, and the Manali Leh Highway-d70005905xl.jpg

Time to head down I guess and enjoy a hot cup of tea,
I fire up the ignition, and guess what, the 4L and 4H lights have both lit up.
Bummer.

This is the safari's Achilles heel. Every time the bottom transfer case connectors get wet, the 4x4 system stops shifting. This means, we are in 4H now. We cannot shift to 4L or 2H.

I am glad I was not in 4L, otherwise, we would have to agonizingly make our way downwards on the ultra low gear.

When this problem first happened, we were a little panicky. However, this time,we take it in the stride. Soon, it will dry and function. For now, its 4H mode only.

We make our way down with the heavy snowfall for company.
Today's day has been amazing.

Really amazing. Never ever seen so much snow, and such heavy snowfall. The Rohtang Pass is truly a white paradise, and the white elephant with her 4WD and chains as opened the gates of heaven for us!

Yay!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 18th March 2014 at 15:03.
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 16:11   #60
Team-BHP Support

Default Day 2 #13: Its a good night. Berrry Berrrry Good night

Night falls quickly, and there is a heaviness in the air. I guess, the snows will start falling soon.
As the WE sits parked, we finish our delicious chicken curry, and now is the moment of truth.
Start - Ignition!
4H light comes on alone. Aah, everything is nice and dry. I also decide to give her the tarp treatment. I mean, its not very cold, but a warm engine for morning starts never hurt anybody, right!
(Un)Chained Melody - 36 Hours of Snow, and the Manali Leh Highway-20140301_202617xl.jpg

(Un)Chained Melody - 36 Hours of Snow, and the Manali Leh Highway-20140301_202753xl.jpg

And its snowing. Yay for snow again. I decide to take out my Sunwayman, and try some "torch" shots.
Its bright enough even for the mobile
(Un)Chained Melody - 36 Hours of Snow, and the Manali Leh Highway-20140301_203109xl.jpg

Somebody in that hut must be wondering if a helicopter or something is landing
(Un)Chained Melody - 36 Hours of Snow, and the Manali Leh Highway-20140301_203116xl.jpg

If you are wondering what massive torch is this one, well its a small wonder. 4AA batteries and single cree LED
Sunwayman D40A Cree XM-L2 980 Lumens LED compact AA Flashlight/searchlight with 4 X EdisonBright AA Alkaline batteries - Amazon.com
I got it for half the price under a special lightning deal I was able to catch.

Tomorrow is a long drive back, so we decide to retire early. And guess what, the snows started piling up already!
(Un)Chained Melody - 36 Hours of Snow, and the Manali Leh Highway-20140301_203903xl.jpg

Good night!

For those who are wondering, till how high did we go, well its simple. I have GPS tag enabled for phone camera. So have the exact location.
One hairpin after Gulaba
Name:  1M.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  47.4 KB
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote