Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 2nd April 2014, 14:16   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Voyage : In & around the UAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Good one voyageur! Too bad you didn't take the GTI through those yummy mountain roads. With the gas prices over there, there is simply no excuse to not drive all weekend.

And nice pics! Thanks for sharing! Any plan of catching the GP this weekend at Bahrain?

Hey Deepak,

Glad that you liked my pics. GTI will visit those twisties soon The gas prices are never a concern, but the climate is. I so wish that the sun takes it easy on us.

The GP, probably I will miss the Bahrain GP but I will try and catch up the Abudhabi GP for sure.

Cheers.
voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 14:12   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Hey Dhanush,

Thank you for your kind words. It really is a great thing because we look at you as one of the best TL writers around.

The Burj looks beautiful and is a great treat for good photographers like you. I am sure if given a chance you will shoot better than me.
Ahem... Ahem...
That would be the best compliments I'd received today.
But frankly speaking, you have put too much of a tag on me.
My words nor my pics ain't worth that much buddy.

Thanks anyway.
Treat from me next time you drop in to pick on my Bullet
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 03:00   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Ahem... Ahem...
That would be the best compliments I'd received today.
But frankly speaking, you have put too much of a tag on me.
My words nor my pics ain't worth that much buddy.

Thanks anyway.
Treat from me next time you drop in to pick on my Bullet
To be honest, most of the time in T-Bhp I read the TL section. Getting a feel of those place through the words and pics. I do like your TL a lot.

Regarding the Bullet, when I drop in I will have my share of ride on your Bullet. That would be a perfect treat.

Cheers.
voyageur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 22:13   #19
BHPian

It is been quite a number of days, or rather months altogether I have not gone out on explorations. It's summer here so it isn't a great time to do explorations. Also I haven't been active on T-Bhp as usual. Busy with other forums and work and what not.

I got a couple of pics that I hardly took during these days. I will share those for now and promise you that I will come with better pics and write ups.Let the snaps do the talking for now.

Camel Bhai. I was on my way and on an empty stretch found this guy. One info I want to share here is that crashing a camel with you car/bike is a great crime here. You will be apparently in jail for god knows how long (but its 10 years or more). During major celebration, I also see Camel meat as a cuisine which leaves me baffled.

Voyage : In & around the UAE-tn_dsc_0140.jpg

My boy, GTI standing stiff and strong. Nothing gives me more joy than see him stand in style.

Voyage : In & around the UAE-tn_dsc_0152.jpg

This pic is taken from a place called Meydan in Dubai. I wanted to visit the horse stables and racing track but it was only private entry. I looked to the other side and found Burj Khalifa standing far. It touches the sun. What an Engineering marvel?

Voyage : In & around the UAE-tn_dsc_0164.jpg

Again a single pic of burj

Voyage : In & around the UAE-tn_dsc_0168.jpg

Cheers until my next post
Old 22nd June 2014, 22:55   #20
BHPian

Wow. Fantastic snaps voyageur.
The third one especially is mouth watering.

Your special liking for camels is quite understandable
(Kochi bhpians would know what I mean)
Were there any milking facilities around the place where you found this camel Bhai?
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 08:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Wow. Fantastic snaps voyageur.
The third one especially is mouth watering.

Your special liking for camels is quite understandable
(Kochi bhpians would know what I mean)
Were there any milking facilities around the place where you found this camel Bhai?
Thanks Dhanush, for your kind words. I am still nowhere near you in terms of photography.

Camels are the national animal and you find them here and there. No special liking for camels.
I think Camels are being bred for meat where I saw this guy. Not sure though. No milking facilities nearby.

Thanks again, means a lot to me. Cheers
Old 23rd June 2014, 11:25   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Past 5 years have seen me move from Saudi Arabia to Bahrain to UAE. I would say that the GCC is not the best of places for trips. It's hot and people (me) prefer to spend their life inside AC and even if you come across some one who has lived 25 years of their life in Gulf, I am sure you will still find the answer that his routine has involved going to work and coming back home.
Oh dear! I was in Oman for a brief while and had come back to India for good now. I too initially thought that the whole GCC is a God forsaken place till I started moving with the Natives there. If your time permits, you may visit SALALA in Oman during Kerala monsoon season. By the way, what Kerala Monsoon has got to do with Oman, of all the other places!! Yes. Salala is somewhat akin to Kerala only during monsoon, full of rain and mist! You would definitely be surprised to find such a hill station in the middle of GCC! Getting a Oman visa for a Dubaikar should not pose much problem. And if you have good time at disposal, there are lot of other places worth visiting in Oman, like beaches, oasis, forts, Jabal Akhthar, etc.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 09:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Oh dear! I was in Oman for a brief while and had come back to India for good now. I too initially thought that the whole GCC is a God forsaken place till I started moving with the Natives there. If your time permits, you may visit SALALA in Oman during Kerala monsoon season. By the way, what Kerala Monsoon has got to do with Oman, of all the other places!! Yes. Salala is somewhat akin to Kerala only during monsoon, full of rain and mist! You would definitely be surprised to find such a hill station in the middle of GCC! Getting a Oman visa for a Dubaikar should not pose much problem. And if you have good time at disposal, there are lot of other places worth visiting in Oman, like beaches, oasis, forts, Jabal Akhthar, etc.
Hello Gokrish,

I have heard of Salala. My boss actually did a road trip to Salala from Dubai and it was 1400 kms one way. He said it was worth it. Salala is a mini kerala and is in my list.

Thank you for the heads up.

Cheers.
Old 25th June 2014, 09:24   #24

Hello,

Great pics. I lived in Dubai for 5 years from 2002-2007. I was never the office to home types. There are so many places to see around in UAE. It is such an awesome place with great drives all around. Usually during the better months it's the dunes and desert drives that are fun. But during summer you should try the Khor fakkan drive through Daid. Brilliant. Also try and go to musandam in Oman. You have to drive through Ras al-Khaimah and towards Oman. It is a part of Oman but land locked by UAE. Fabulous drive. Will update other drives soon.
Cheers
Itty is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2014, 08:58   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itty View Post
Hello,

Great pics. I lived in Dubai for 5 years from 2002-2007. I was never the office to home types. There are so many places to see around in UAE. It is such an awesome place with great drives all around. Usually during the better months it's the dunes and desert drives that are fun. But during summer you should try the Khor fakkan drive through Daid. Brilliant. Also try and go to musandam in Oman. You have to drive through Ras al-Khaimah and towards Oman. It is a part of Oman but land locked by UAE. Fabulous drive. Will update other drives soon.
Cheers
Hello Itty,

It's great to know that you were from Dubai. I think the traffic then would have been less by a great deal, as to what it is now. It's a great place and made for tourism.

Is drive to Khor fakkan and Mussandam a good idea in summer? We will be rather enjoying the heat than the drive I believe

Waiting for your updation on drives

Cheers
Old 26th June 2014, 09:11   #26

Dear Voyageur,

Traffic then and now was always a problem. Luckily I used to travel opposite side of the rush hour. Stay in Dubai and office was Sharjah.

Don't let the heat not make you not travel. Get out, once you the beauty and asclong as you enjoy driving everything else becomes secondary. There is a beautiful Lemeridien resort at Al Aqah between , Daid and Khorfakkan. Actually moment you leave the mess of Dubai, it is such a pleasure to drive. Just keep an eye out for the odd camel crossing.
you should also try find a group which goes as off roading groups. Usually they are closed groups and take you on recommendation. You do nor need 4x4, but can join with someone.
cheers
Itty is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2014, 12:15   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itty View Post
Dear Voyageur,

Traffic then and now was always a problem. Luckily I used to travel opposite side of the rush hour. Stay in Dubai and office was Sharjah.

Don't let the heat not make you not travel. Get out, once you the beauty and asclong as you enjoy driving everything else becomes secondary. There is a beautiful Lemeridien resort at Al Aqah between , Daid and Khorfakkan. Actually moment you leave the mess of Dubai, it is such a pleasure to drive. Just keep an eye out for the odd camel crossing.
you should also try find a group which goes as off roading groups. Usually they are closed groups and take you on recommendation. You do nor need 4x4, but can join with someone.
cheers
Great that you lived in Dubai and worked in Shj. It's the other way around here usually due to the rent thing.

I will try and start going out, as you said let the heat not be a barrier to our drives. Regarding off-roading groups, I don't know anyone from that category, but the search is still on.

Cheers
Old 11th January 2015, 01:56   #28
BHPian

Happy New Year folks (belated),

I was away from T-bhp with some other commitments, and I will be away for some more time. But I couldn't stop myself from coming here and posting some pics of Jebel Hafeet - the mountains in Al-ain, the garden emirate of UAE. The one to which I lost my battle, 8-9 months ago (as mentioned in the first post of this thread). I will post the best of my shots, and as usual save the best-est for last!

On my way to this place

Voyage : In & around the UAE-tn_dsc_0391.jpg

Voyage : In & around the UAE-tn_dsc_0393.jpg

Voyage : In & around the UAE-tn_imag0046.jpg

Voyage : In & around the UAE-tn_imag00472.jpg

Name:  tn_IMAG00482.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  63.1 KB

What do you think about this house? Nothing special? Check the next snap.

Voyage : In & around the UAE-tn_imag0050.jpg

Voyage : In & around the UAE-tn_imag00512.jpg

Brought back school memories, remember doing it our desk? Carving our names!

Voyage : In & around the UAE-tn_imag00522.jpg

The right is where I am, the left is where I want to be

Voyage : In & around the UAE-tn_imag00542.jpg

Voyage : In & around the UAE-tn_imag0055.jpg

Green Mubazara (hot water spring) and surroundings

Voyage : In & around the UAE-tn_imag00642.jpg

My all time companion, this guy never says no to whatever I say. I might end up marrying my car.

Voyage : In & around the UAE-tn_sc_0402.jpg

Voyage : In & around the UAE-tn_sc_0401.jpg

I reckon, the best of my clicks are

Voyage : In & around the UAE-tn_sc_0396.jpg

Voyage : In & around the UAE-tn_sc_0398.jpg

Voyage : In & around the UAE-tn_dsc_0394.jpg

Voyage : In & around the UAE-tn_dsc_0397.jpg

Voyage : In & around the UAE-tn_dsc_0398.jpg

This one is similar to couple of above snaps, except it's taken from a different location. All looks the same though.

Voyage : In & around the UAE-tn_dsc_0399.jpg

Cheers!
voyageur is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2015, 10:42   #29
BHPian

You should really visit Jebel Al Jais mountains .
They're a treat compared to Jebel Hafeet!
manas27587 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 17:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
You should really visit Jebel Al Jais mountains .
They're a treat compared to Jebel Hafeet!
I think this is the best time to visit Jebel Al Jais, but the tarmac is very much broken and I don't if it would be right thing to visit Jebel Al Jais in my car to be honest.