Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 3rd April 2014, 21:26   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Thirunelli - Bandipur trip Day 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Ankan: it is the Indian Roller and not what you mentioned.
And this is the European Green Woodpecker.
And this is the Pea-fowl.
Thanks a ton for identifying the birds, gd1418! I picked up those names from our safari driver but had some doubt on my mind. Alas I cannot update the correct names in my earlier post.
ankan.m.blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 10:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Thirunelli - Bandipur Trip : Forests & Fire

Nice trip log, can you tell us the cost for Forest Guest House & Tamrind Hotel.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 16:14   #18
BHPian

Nice trip.
Great pics although sad to see the destruction due to fires.
The wild life pics look great.
a_bharadwaj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 19:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Nice trip log, can you tell us the cost for Forest Guest House & Tamrind Hotel.
The accommodation charge of Tamarind was around Rs.1600/- per night. It was AC room. Charge for forest guest house Rs.1000/-. Its non AC very basic room with attached bathroom, kitchen and verandah.
Old 5th April 2014, 10:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

You can. If you look a the bottom of your any post, you shall see a white triangle with red border. Click on this and post your corrections. As & when any Mod sees this, will update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post

Alas I cannot update the correct names in my earlier post.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 12:53   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton for identifying the birds, gd1418! I picked up those names from our safari driver but had some doubt on my mind. Alas I cannot update the correct names in my earlier post.
This is streak-throated woodpecker, they are very common in our southern India forests. I guess we don't have European green woodpecker in India though. just an FYI. very nice pictures and travelogue, thanks for sharing!
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 18:04   #22

Nice log Ankan...
we visited wayanad on the same dates... left 15th morning and returned on 18th...
I saw the swift accident you mentioned while returning..
My experience:
it was very hot so I guess wasn't the best time to visit the place... we stayed in Blooms Greenfarm homestay... and it was an amazing experience...the hospitality I have never experienced before... they have an amazing resort... I would definitely recommend it if anyone is planning a visit...
OnTheRise is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 08:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheRise View Post
Nice log Ankan...
we visited wayanad on the same dates... left 15th morning and returned on 18th...
I saw the swift accident you mentioned while returning..
My experience:
it was very hot so I guess wasn't the best time to visit the place... we stayed in Blooms Greenfarm homestay... and it was an amazing experience...the hospitality I have never experienced before... they have an amazing resort... I would definitely recommend it if anyone is planning a visit...
Hi OntheRise, which are the places you visited during your stay in Wayanad? Did you witness the swift accident take place?
Old 7th April 2014, 16:24   #24

Quote:
Hi OntheRise, which are the places you visited during your stay in Wayanad? Did you witness the swift accident take place?
Hi Ankan,
We visited the kuruwa island, edikkal caves, lakkidi view point, phantom rock...
I guess view point was the only place we enjoyed coz it was very sunny when we went to the rest of the places.

I did not witness the accident.. just passed through and saw the swift lying there. We stopped for breakfast at gundalpet and saw the car was being towed behind us...
To be honest I enjoyed Munnar more than wayanad.. Your views?
I guess weather has a big role to play in this.
OnTheRise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 15:53   #25
BHPian

Nice Travelogue.. The pics with sun-rays as components have a mystic aura.
Mysticeyes is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 19:48   #26
BHPian

It saddens me to see these forest fires, I remember seeing one on my way back from Hosur around 16 March, not sure what forest it was as it looked like a mountain range from a distance.

Subs
subs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 21:16   #27
BHPian

Great pics and nice write up ankan.m.blr!

Was so tempted to do a really quick Post on a couple of your images! Awesome clicks!
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Thirunelli - Bandipur Trip : Forests & Fire-dsc_0773ab.jpg  

Bangalore - Thirunelli - Bandipur Trip : Forests & Fire-dsc_0853-ab.jpg  

YaeJay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 15:48   #28
BANNED

@Ankan: Well written travelogue complemented with excellent snaps. Wayanad is one of my favorite places and I prefer the less commercialized area around Tirunelly and Kattikulam than other parts of Wayanad. My usual hideouts there are Jungle Retreat (you have crossed that homestay while on the way to Tamarind) and Pepper Green Village near Kuruva Islands. I had covered these places in some of my earlier travelogues. I have visited Bandipur and Masinagudi umpteen times, but a stay in the Government Forest cottage is been long pending. Did you book it online through http://bandipurtigerreserve.in/

@OnTheRise: Munnar I feel is far more commercialized and crowded than Wayanad. I have been visiting Munnar frequently from 1991 while studying at it’s foothills and now being lucky to have my better half from there, has seen it conversion from a very peaceful Hill town to a place buzzing with tourism. Believe me, during long weekends, we have to wait for long to cross the busy Aluva Munnar Highway. Roadside vendors have occupied the place including the once deserted Top station. Echo point used to be known only to few people earlier, now you see a whole bunch of shops. Whatever said and done, nothing can match the beauty of the lush green tea gardens of Munnar. Wayanad will definitely score more if the target is wildlife and a peaceful vacation.
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 20:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
@Ankan: Well written travelogue complemented with excellent snaps. Wayanad is one of my favorite places and I prefer the less commercialized area around Tirunelly and Kattikulam than other parts of Wayanad. My usual hideouts there are Jungle Retreat (you have crossed that homestay while on the way to Tamarind) and Pepper Green Village near Kuruva Islands. I had covered these places in some of my earlier travelogues. I have visited Bandipur and Masinagudi umpteen times, but a stay in the Government Forest cottage is been long pending. Did you book it online through http://bandipurtigerreserve.in/
Yes I booked it online, same website. You can book forest safari online too, but I would suggest booking it manually from forest office as you can ask for good seats. Forest cottages are equipped with basic amenities only. Some of then don't even have TV. For breakfast/lunch/dinner, guests have to go to a dining hall in a separate cottage.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 14:01   #30
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes I booked it online, same website. You can book forest safari online too, but I would suggest booking it manually from forest office as you can ask for good seats. Forest cottages are equipped with basic amenities only. Some of then don't even have TV. For breakfast/lunch/dinner, guests have to go to a dining hall in a separate cottage.
Ankan, well written travelogue and some really good snaps. Quite informative.

I am planning Bandipur visit in near future. A few questions:
1. Safari arranged by Forest Dept is by a bus, is it? Are there Gypsy/Jeep options by Forest Dept?

2. The bandipur website talks about Jungle Lodges and Resort and they having their private vehicles for safari. Any idea how far is any accommodation option provided by Jungle Lodges? Any idea about their pricing?

3. Are personal vehicles allowed on Safari by paying a proper fee and hiring a guide?

Thanks in advance
SDP

Last edited by SDP : 11th September 2014 at 14:02.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote