Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 15th April 2014, 17:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Living in Germany

Hello All,

My work deputed me to a client-site in Mainz (near Frankfurt), Germany starting from January 2014. Since then it has been more than three months and what an experience it has been. Here I am posting the log of how I (we I and my family) spend our weekends here. Occasionally I will also mention some surprise experiences that I encounter here day by day every day.

Let me start by giving some snapshots -

The capital of Eurozone:

Living in Germany-euro.jpg

Nothing here can be complete without great Cars and equally great Roads -

Living in Germany-bmw-vw.jpg

Living in Germany-roads.jpg

And good looking cars too:

Living in Germany-car.jpg

And high performance Bikes:

Living in Germany-bike.jpg

150 years old structures stand tall and strong:

Living in Germany-150-church.jpg

Please where cyclists have dedicated space on roads:

Living in Germany-cycle.jpg

And sometime dedicated traffic signals for cycles too:

Living in Germany-cycle-1.jpg

The birds in Zoo roam free and safe:

Living in Germany-birds-zoo.jpg

Furnished apartments look like these:

Living in Germany-apartment-1.jpg

Living in Germany-apartment-2.jpg

And the view from apartment is equally pleasing:

Living in Germany-apartment-3.jpg

Centuries old bridge holds the test of time and wars:

Living in Germany-heidel-bridge.jpg

Night outs are pretty and safe:

Living in Germany-night.jpg

Rivers remain clean even after flowing more than 500 kms:

Living in Germany-rivers.jpg

River confluences are historic and beautiful places:

Living in Germany-rivers-confluence.jpg

Flowers bloom every where with start of Spring:

Living in Germany-spring.jpg

The typical village looks like this:

Living in Germany-village.jpg

The place where Whole city comes togather to celebrate Carnivals:

Living in Germany-carnical.jpg

And it is also the place where BHPians have mini meets (fellow T-BHPian Superbee in the picture below):

Living in Germany-dsc05558.jpg

Over the next few weeks and months, I will update this thread on details of my visits to Wiesbaden, Mainz, Frankfurt, Carnivals, Koblenz, Trier, Heidelberg, Munich and Salzburg (scheduled during Easter holidays) and couple of yet planned places like Paris, Amsterdam, Brussels and many more.

Special thanks to fellow T-BHPian Normally_Crazy for guiding me to wonderful place here in Germany.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 15th April 2014 at 17:18.
Jignesh is offline   (44) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 17:10   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Living in Germany

Very promising start and beautiful pictures. Waiting to read the rest of your blog.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 17:17   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Jignesh,

Thats a good start to the thread, will be keeping a watch out on this one specially coz its Germany the land of the Autobahns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post

And good looking cars too:

Attachment 1230508
^ To be honest you could have managed to snap a better looking car than that one

All the best my friend.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 21:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Awesome Jignesh Bhai. Nice start. We will travel europe through your experiences and pictures. You and Raghav had also gone some place after renting a car right? Please do share that experience too.

Keep sharing. Enjoy.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 08:47   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice. A live in experience from land of autobahns. Looking forward to additions here
sudev is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 12:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice start Jignesh, this country has not been represented so much here in this forum so will look for all the little details. Please also share living experience and costs. The apartment looks like you are the top most floor.

Carry on.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 12:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

If you are in or around Stuttgart (I study and work here) or pass by, let me know. May be we could meet up. PM me if you need my contact details.

Cheers
Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 12:48   #8
BHPian

Hi Jignesh

Good beginning. i was actually in frankfurt on 2nd and 3rd of last month. Didn't know that you too are there now. By chance it was the carnival day and had a nice time
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 20:12   #9
BHPian

Hi Jignesh,

Welcome to Germany. I am here in Stuttgart (capital of sports cars), not much far from you .Its been 7 months and will be a here for a while. I am totally hooked up to this wonderful place. A place where people love to own and drive some of the best cars in the world.

Infact, if you are interested, come down for the summer fest starting this friday. I heard its going to be the biggest in the world this year.

With your permission, can I also add some of the snaps I have ?

Let's meet up.

Last edited by Shiv_1984 : 17th April 2014 at 20:18.
Shiv_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 14:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

Sorry for no updates during last week. Actually Easter holidays took to me Munich and Salzburg and what a trip that was. I will share details of the trip as this log goes ahead. But one note about Deutsches Museum - it is simply amazing and over loads you with information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Very promising start and beautiful pictures. Waiting to read the rest of your blog.
Thank you Dr. Mohit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
To be honest you could have managed to snap a better looking car than that one
Accepted Karan. There are lots of beautiful cars here.

But the problem was, since I was new here I was hesitant to click pictures of someone's car. But now I promise you a dedicated post of cars here. Just give me sometime and I will click pictures as I travel around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
You and Raghav had also gone some place after renting a car right? Please do share that experience too.
Thank you Desmosedici.

Raghav is already hugely experienced in renting cars here. It is really tempting for me to drive a car here, but since I am travelling with family, I am little worried. But frankly speaking the roads here are dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Nice. A live in experience from land of autobahns. Looking forward to additions here
Thank you Sudev. Yes the road network here is absolutely brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Nice start Jignesh, this country has not been represented so much here in this forum so will look for all the little details. Please also share living experience and costs. The apartment looks like you are the top most floor.
Hello Motomaverick,

Yes. I have rented a apartment on 5t floor of a building and mind you there are no lifts.
I will surely update the cost of living in the following posts. Just one note - that the country is really great and people are equally helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
If you are in or around Stuttgart (I study and work here) or pass by, let me know. May be we could meet up. PM me if you need my contact details.
Thank you Spike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
Good beginning. i was actually in frankfurt on 2nd and 3rd of last month. Didn't know that you too are there now. By chance it was the carnival day and had a nice time
Hello Mohan,

We missed a chance to have a mini meet here. Do let me know whenever you are coming back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
Infact, if you are interested, come down for the summer fest starting this friday. I heard its going to be the biggest in the world this year. With your permission, can I also add some of the snaps I have ?
Hello Shiv,

Thank you for the inviation and regret the delay in response. As mentioned above, I went to Munich and Salzburg over the holidays. But we can sureply plan to meet in future.

Thanks,
Jignesh Mehta
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014, 15:28   #11
BHPian

Hi Jignesh,

Heard a lot about Autobahns- The paradise of driving. Did you take up any cross country visit ?
Please post pictures of Autobahns.
What are the speed limits ?

thanks

Last edited by Wanderers : 24th April 2014 at 15:29.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014, 15:48   #12
BHPian

Ah! nice pictures Jignesh. Took me back to 2005 when I used to stay at friedrichshafen. Your house looks exactly the same as I had there (though I was at 2nd floor).
The cost of living is a bit high in germany what with you requiring to pay for waste collection(waste needs to be segregated in 5 types before disposing) and also water being a costly resource (a liter of beer is cheaper that a liter of mineral water bottle ). But the country is absolutely scenic with nice friendly people(though language can be a problem at times) which really makes up
malgudi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2014, 14:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hello Friends,

Firstly apologies for not updating this thread for few weeks. Work pressure at client site was tremendous and I had applied for internet connection at home, which took some time to start.

Well I do not know what will be a best way to update pictures here, but what I will do is in every post give some basic information about living here, my good / bad experiences and post pictures of one of the places I have visited.

In the meantime the good news from my side is my stay here is extended and my daughter has started going to Frankfurt International School. I will give more details on the school admission process and fees structure in coming posts.

The first question I am generally asked is about living cost in Germany.
Well many of us here have travelled around the globe and have fairly good idea on cost of living. But still let me give a break-up based on my experience here:

Apartment rental (A flat in the building is called Apartment here and a row house or banglow is called a house) - 850 Eur per Month
for a 75 sq. mt. one bed room fully furnished apartment in good area.

Food expences - 300 Eur per month (this is maximum expence for family of three including cheese, all Indian stuff like wheat floor, basmati rice, butter, cold drink, canned juices and few types of cheese.

Travel - Approx 75 Eur per month per zone. If you travel multiple zones say from Wiesbaden to Frankfurt, this cost can go more than 110 Eur per month.
Public transport is very good and comfortable and everything runs pricisely on time. Even Bus and Trams runs on precise time table. Also everything is availalbe on an online application downloadable on internet enabled phones.

Another good thing, if you have a monthly ticket your spouse and kid less than 6 year can travel with you totally free everyday after 7 pm and whole day on weekends and public holidays.
There is also special discount monthly tickets available for those who use public transport after nine am.

Local (German Language) schools are absolutely free. But International School are very costly and I will give the break-up of fess in subsequent posts.

So, I live in Wiesbaden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiesbaden), which is approx 40 kms from Frankfurt and population is approx 2.5 lacs.
But the city's infrastructure is top notch and regular public transport reach almost every corner of the city.

Now let me present some pictures of Wiesbaden:

First Wiesbaden Central Station (built before 1910):

Living in Germany-wiesbaden-1.jpg

Some randon pictures of the city:

Living in Germany-wiesbaden-2.jpg

Living in Germany-wiesbaden-3.jpg

Living in Germany-wiesbaden-4.jpg

Living in Germany-wiesbaden-5.jpg

What surprises you is lots and lots of space. Look at the Bus stop below (sorry for lack of clear picture):

Living in Germany-wiesbaden-6.jpg

Further random pictueres:

Living in Germany-wiesbaden-7.jpg

Living in Germany-central-area-8.jpg

Living in Germany-wiebaden-9.jpg

Below is the typical line of apartment here. Most of them are minimum 100 years old and still standing tall and strong.

Living in Germany-apartment.jpg

In the above picture, the apartment in red color is where are I live on the fifth floor (without lift).

There is also a central park and lake here in Wiesbaden. It remains our best weekend outing place, if we are not going anywhere else. My wife / daughter love to feed ducks here.

Some pictures of the lake and the places around:

Living in Germany-1.jpg

The below picture is taken in winter so most of the trees without leaves.

Living in Germany-2.jpg

Living in Germany-3.jpg

Living in Germany-4.jpg

Living in Germany-5.jpg

Living in Germany-6.jpg

Living in Germany-7.jpg

Living in Germany-8.jpg

Living in Germany-9.jpg

Living in Germany-10.jpg

Living in Germany-11.jpg

Living in Germany-12.jpg

Living in Germany-13.jpg

Living in Germany-14.jpg

Towards March end the with onset of Spring, the entire place brings up beauty of nature:

Living in Germany-15.jpg

Living in Germany-16.jpg

Living in Germany-17.jpg

Living in Germany-18.jpg

There are also plenty of parks for children to play and my daughter's preferred park, which is closeby to our apartment is below:

Living in Germany-prisha-garden-1.jpg

Living in Germany-prisha-garden-2.jpg

I have reached the 30 pictures per post limit and will continue with some more photos of Wiesbaden in next post.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 31st May 2014 at 14:47.
Jignesh is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2014, 21:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Continuing with some more pictures of Wiesbaden:

There is a huge city centre and once again lots and lots of open space amazes me:

Living in Germany-central-area1.jpg

Below the open ground above is the huge underground pay and park area.

Living in Germany-central-area-2.jpg

Living in Germany-central-area3.jpg

Living in Germany-central-area-4.jpg

Living in Germany-central-area-5.jpg

Living in Germany-central-area-6.jpg

Living in Germany-central-area-7.jpg

Living in Germany-central-area-8.jpg

Wiesbaden also boasts of one of the World's largest Cockoo Clock. Though I do not know the authenticity of the claim:

Living in Germany-cokoo-clock.jpg

There is also a Marktkirche, built between 1853 and 1862 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marktkirche,_Wiesbaden)

Living in Germany-market-kirche.jpg

Living in Germany-market-kirche-1.jpg

One more beautiful looking church is Ringkirche built around 1892:

Living in Germany-ring-kirche.jpg

But one of the most imporant tourist attraction of Wiesbaden remains - Russian Orthodox Church of Saint Elizabeth in Wiesbaden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Eliz...rch,_Wiesbaden). It is indeed a beautiful place with Nerobergbahn funicular railway to take you up the hill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerobergbahn). The railway was opened in 1888 and it is still working boasting itself to be Germany oldest railway running only on water.

Living in Germany-russian-church-1.jpg

Living in Germany-russian-curch-2.jpg

Living in Germany-russian-church-3.jpg

Living in Germany-russian-church-4.jpg

Wiesbaden also has a small zoo featuring mainly some domestic animals and few wild animals like Bear and Wolves. Children can feed most of the animals and this place also remains our one of the preferred place to hang around on Sundays.

Living in Germany-wiesbaden-zoo-1.jpg

Living in Germany-wiesbaden-zoo-2.jpg

Living in Germany-wiesbaden-zoo-3.jpg

Living in Germany-wiesbaden-zoo-4.jpg

Living in Germany-wiesbaden-zoo-5.jpg

Come spring and the trees that earlier used to look like these:

Living in Germany-streets-1.jpg

Living in Germany-streets-2.jpg

Now turns like these:

Living in Germany-spring-3.jpg

Living in Germany-spring-4.jpg

Living in Germany-spring-5.jpg

Living in Germany-spring-1.jpg

Living in Germany-spring-2.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 31st May 2014 at 21:37.
Jignesh is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 00:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

As stated, I will mention some information about living in Germany and post pictures of places I have visited.

So, every child living in Germany receives Child money (kindergeld) from Government. Even the migrants receive this benefit and the details of the same as as follows:

One of the parents can claim Kindergeld for child and the amount is 184 Euros per child for first two kids, 190 Euros for third child and 205 Euros from forth kid. Effectively it means that if you have 2 children you get 368 Euros (184 * 2) from Government per month. One needs to approach Familienkasse office of your city and fill in application forms for Kindergeld. For any further details feel free to send me a PM and I will be happy to guide you.

Now, one chilly Saturday in March we went to Koblenz. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koblenz, http://wikitravel.org/en/Koblenz)

There are different states in Germany and apart from World class autobahns, the railway network is equally well managed. There are offers on weekend wherein you can travel anywhere within a state in local trains. For example for Rhineland Platz you can get a day ticket for 23 Euros for single person and additional 4 Euros for next 4 persons. So for my family of three I pay 27 Euros (for 2 adults) and my daughter travels free. With this ticket I can travel anywhere in the state in local trains for one day.

Coming back to Koblenz, it is situated at confluence of Rhine and Moselle Rivers. The confluence point is called Deutsches Eck (meaning Corner in German language) and hosts a huge monument of Emperor William I.

I regret for dull pictures as it was a chilly & foggy day.

Wiesbaden station early in the morning:

Living in Germany-wiesbaden-hbf.jpg

The entire road / rail route from Frankfurt / Wiesbaden to Koblenz is very scenic with amazing view of Rhine river:

Living in Germany-screen-train.jpg

We reach Koblenz and walk across the market area towards Rhine River.

Living in Germany-general-1.jpg

Living in Germany-general-3.jpg

Living in Germany-geneal-4.jpg

Living in Germany-general-5.jpg

Living in Germany-general-6.jpg

Living in Germany-general-7.jpg

Living in Germany-general-8.jpg

Living in Germany-general-9.jpg

Living in Germany-general-10.jpg

The River:

Living in Germany-river-1.jpg

Living in Germany-river-2.jpg

Living in Germany-river-3.jpg

Living in Germany-river-4.jpg

Living in Germany-river-5.jpg

Living in Germany-river-6.jpg

Living in Germany-river-7.jpg

Living in Germany-river-8.jpg

The Palace:

Living in Germany-schloss-1.jpg

Living in Germany-schloss-flovers.jpg

Living in Germany-scholls-garden.jpg

Finally we reach Deutsches Eck and it is indeed a wonderful place:

Living in Germany-d-eck-1.jpg

Living in Germany-d-eck-2.jpg

Living in Germany-d-eck-3.jpg

Living in Germany-d-eck-4.jpg

Living in Germany-d-eck-5.jpg

Living in Germany-d-eck-6.jpg

Living in Germany-d-eck-7.jpg

Living in Germany-d-eck.jpg

Oops, reach 30 pictures limit, will continue with some more pictures of Koblenz in the next post.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 9th July 2014 at 00:58.
Jignesh is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote