Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 28th April 2014, 14:08   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Lepakshi - A Historical Place & Driver's Paradise

Great TL Soumyajit, had driven to Lepakshi last year but was too lazy to write an account. IMO for a site of such significance, its not preserved adequately, not sure if matters have improved.
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 15:50   #32
Team-BHP Support

Have been there 3-4 times. But never got a chance to actually go thee and spend quality time. It was always about go there, visit and come back.

Some snaps from my camcorder before I moved on to a DSLR.
I hope Soumyajit won't mind!

Lepakshi - A Historical Place & Driver's Paradise-dsc06853.jpg

Lepakshi - A Historical Place & Driver's Paradise-dsc06886.jpg

Lepakshi - A Historical Place & Driver's Paradise-dsc06898.jpg

Lepakshi - A Historical Place & Driver's Paradise-dsc06919.jpg

Lepakshi - A Historical Place & Driver's Paradise-dsc06922.jpg

And lastly the great NH7

Lepakshi - A Historical Place & Driver's Paradise-dsc07065.jpg
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 16:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

This has been a good TL Soumyajit. The photos are really great. You must next plan for Horsely Hills for an overnight stay.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 18:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Great TL Soumyajit, had driven to Lepakshi last year but was too lazy to write an account. IMO for a site of such significance, its not preserved adequately, not sure if matters have improved.
Thanks buddy !!
Matters seem to be the same what you might have seen.
The entry-exit is streamlined and has a shoe stand. Inside the temple, its all ruins, dust, broken stones, chips, etc etc. The temple campus can be preserved, but I didn't see any steps taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Have been there 3-4 times. But never got a chance to actually go thee and spend quality time. It was always about go there, visit and come back.
Some snaps from my camcorder before I moved on to a DSLR.
I hope Soumyajit won't mind!
Ofcourse not man !!! Beautiful pictures are always welcome. Its unbelievable that these pics are taken using camcorder !! Brilliant image quality and HDR processed I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
This has been a good TL Soumyajit. The photos are really great. You must next plan for Horsely Hills for an overnight stay.
Thanks, glad you liked it. Thanks for the Horsely Hills tip. I am collating a list of nearby places to visit. This would be in my list.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 19:04   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Ofcourse not man !!! Beautiful pictures are always welcome. Its unbelievable that these pics are taken using camcorder !! Brilliant image quality and HDR processed I guess.
Thank you! In fact after moving on to DSLR, I got to know that Post Processing is also an important part. Thats when I opened up my earlier non-DSLR snaps and tried to post process them. I myself was surprised at the results compared to what I had seen earlier. As regards to the one I posted here, not all were HDR processed. Mostly saturation, contrast, Sharpening and tones. Third party filters on couple of them.

Forgot to mention another place which you should go :

Every one goes to Nandi Hills. But many don't go the beautiful Bhoganandeshwara temple at the foot hills. A beautiful place. (Location)

Last edited by ampere : 28th April 2014 at 19:05.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 08:33   #36
BHPian

Excellent T-log, Soumyajit! This temple is a very beautiful and photogenic piece of architecture, and your lenses have made it look even more stunning!
I am now itching to embark on another Lepakshi drive! Probably will take my father along when he is here this weekend. But only worried about the Andhra heat! Hope a couple of thunderstorms cool up things up by then.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2014, 07:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Excellent T-log, Soumyajit! This temple is a very beautiful and photogenic piece of architecture, and your lenses have made it look even more stunning!
I am now itching to embark on another Lepakshi drive! Probably will take my father along when he is here this weekend. But only worried about the Andhra heat! Hope a couple of thunderstorms cool up things up by then.
Thanks Sandeep !! Honestly, your TL clubbed with inputs from other BHPians on a Whatsapp group inspired me to make up my mind to this place.

An overcast sky would make photography, a pleasure. Right now, its not the time to visit. Keep an eye on the weather and you could make it during the monsoons or little earlier to that.
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 15:40   #38
D4D
BHPian

Planning to visit this place soon. I live in Bannerghatta road, so any idea whether it's worth taking this route: NICE road-Nelamangala-Doddaballapur-Hindupur-Lepakshi ? G maps says it's about 22 km longer than route through city which I don't mind.
D4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 18:14   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Planning to visit this place soon. I live in Bannerghatta road, so any idea whether it's worth taking this route: NICE road-Nelamangala-Doddaballapur-Hindupur-Lepakshi ? G maps says it's about 22 km longer than route through city which I don't mind.
Bannerghatta road - Jayadeva underpass - Bangalore Diary underpass - Hosur road (Anepalya juction) - Bowring Institiue - Cricket stadium (Anil Kumble circle) - Raj Bhavan - Hotel Chalukya - Windsor Manor - Hebbal - Onwards to BIAL flyover.

If you are planning to go on a Sunday, you can breeze through this route.

The Nelamangala - Dobaspete - Doddaballapura road is a 2 lane road from the turnoff on the Tumkur road, but with sparse traffic and is treat to drive. Check out for the occasional speed breakers/ pot holes and moron bikers who come out of nowhere on this route. Drive this stretch with your windows rolled down, the eucalyptus grooves on this road have a faint fragrance in air throughout.
unk9ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 18:34   #40
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Bannerghatta road - Jayadeva underpass - Bangalore Diary underpass - Hosur road (Anepalya juction) - Bowring Institiue - Cricket stadium (Anil Kumble circle) - Raj Bhavan - Hotel Chalukya - Windsor Manor - Hebbal - Onwards to BIAL flyover.

If you are planning to go on a Sunday, you can breeze through this route.

The Nelamangala - Dobaspete - Doddaballapura road is a 2 lane road from the turnoff on the Tumkur road, but with sparse traffic and is treat to drive. Check out for the occasional speed breakers/ pot holes and moron bikers who come out of nowhere on this route. Drive this stretch with your windows rolled down, the eucalyptus grooves on this road have a faint fragrance in air throughout.
Thanks for the route advice. Seems the quickest and stress-free route. I'm not going this sunday.
I think I will try the Dodaballapura-Nelamangala route while coming back. And yes, I won't miss the smell of Eucalyptus.
D4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 00:14   #41
BHPian

Thanks for a superb travelogue.Got inspired enogh to make a visit to lapakshi last weekend.
Enjoyed the drive on almost empty and superbly maintained highways and ofcourse the temple ,where i took the services of a local guide who took us around for about 45 minutes and explained in detail the history and significance of various sculptures. Hiring a guide here is a must I feel as it takes one deeper into the overall ambience.

At lunch time we left to Hindupur about 11 kms away from Veerabhadra Temple and had a fantastic super spicy Andhra Veg lunch on a plaintain leaf at Sri Laxmi vilas restaurant a small clean place with plenty of parking near the bus station.

Saw a lake like wast area with lots of birds on the way on the road joining Lepaksi to Highway also a huge statue of a bird pointing the way towards a bird scantuary of sorts but did not go there as i did not expect to see birds n this hot season.

A road towards Nandi hills was seen neararer to devanahalli but kept that visit for next time.

All in all a day well spent .

Last edited by srinivaspai : 9th June 2014 at 00:15.
srinivaspai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 18:19   #42
BHPian

Well written, detailed, excellent T-Log with great photoshoots. Apologies for my late response here.

Driving on NH7 is indeed a pure bliss, except some bad to painful stretches in UP-MP, MP-MH, MH-AP (Now telangana) borders.

Are you using any tool for photo edits? If yes, please explain in brief
OneToughRider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2015, 22:06   #43
BHPian

Had been to Lepakshi today. Since a lot has been said about the place, roads etc I will share info about food stops and personal experience.

1. Breakfast - Swathi Gardenia
After crossing Hebbal flyover we moved onto the service road. The restaurant is easy to spot with ample parking space in any of the side roads nearby. The food and hygiene was good. Ambiance is a typical of a fast food service joint. Overall a positive experience and would recommend for breakfast.
Paid Rs. 450 for a sumptuous breakfast plus two portions of parceled Pulav.

2. Nandi Statue refreshment
Stopped for tender coconut opposite to the Nandi statue. At Rs.20/nut it was a blessing in disguise on a hot day.

3. Lepakshi refreshment
After spending ample time in the beautiful temple we munched on fresh cucumber. A good snack while waiting for the hot air to get out of the car that had by now turned into an oven.

4. Lunch - Chaska/Salt and Pepper restaurant Hindupur
Having come across several posts about lack of availability of food at Lepakshi we packed food from Swathi Gardenia as backup but did not find the need for it.
We drove to Hindupur, about 14 KMs away, for Lunch at "Chaska" restaurant. Google maps and the food menu read "Salt and Pepper Restaurant" though. The north Indian food we ordered was not only delicious but also cheap at Rs.370 for 5 people. The place is suitable for a family and one can park on the road side in front of the restaurant. The roads to Hindupur were in good condition.

5. Evening Tea - Adyar Anandh Bhavan

Some other stuff :

1. On the return trip we felt the tyres needed air. Although there were several fuel stations on the highway none of them had air! The 7th station we visited had air and by then we were past the Devanahalli Fort.

2. Soon after we parked our Black Liva at Lepakshi we came across a cross Swift Dzire driver in the parking lot looking at the freshly made scratch, probably with a sharp object, from the drivers side headlight to the taillight on his sparkling grey ride. Was a sad sight indeed.
I also noticed few kids checking if any cars had their doors unlocked! After we got back we realized that the dust on our car had been used like a board to display artistic skills. Fortunately no scratched were made though.
All of the above despite the Rs.30 parking fee collected. I guess that is what the ubiquitous phrase "Parking at owners risk" translates to in the real world.
Does anyone know a better place to park at Lepakshi?

3. While on the trip I heard about "Lepakshi Saree" from the women folk in the car, who BTW constituted 80% of the troop. We did not search for the saree due to shortage of time. I do intend to visit Lepakshi again in the future and would like to buy said saree to maintain a harmonious environment in the vehicle.
If anyone knows/has bought them from Lepakshi please share details.

-Cheers
rajathv8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015, 18:26   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
2. Soon after we parked our Black Liva at Lepakshi we came across a cross Swift Dzire driver in the parking lot looking at the freshly made scratch, probably with a sharp object, from the drivers side headlight to the taillight on his sparkling grey ride. Was a sad sight indeed.
I also noticed few kids checking if any cars had their doors unlocked! After we got back we realized that the dust on our car had been used like a board to display artistic skills. Fortunately no scratched were made though.
All of the above despite the Rs.30 parking fee collected. I guess that is what the ubiquitous phrase "Parking at owners risk" translates to in the real world.
Does anyone know a better place to park at Lepakshi?
We did Lepakshi in Jan 15. Thankfully we also did not face any issues. We did not know that it is a paid parking until the parking guy collected the fee just before we were abt to leave. One can park the car near the APTDC Harita hotel and take a walk may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
3. While on the trip I heard about "Lepakshi Saree" from the women folk in the car, who BTW constituted 80% of the troop. We did not search for the saree due to shortage of time. I do intend to visit Lepakshi again in the future and would like to buy said saree to maintain a harmonious environment in the vehicle.
If anyone knows/has bought them from Lepakshi please share details.

-Cheers
My take, I might be wrong. Lepakshi designs are used as Saree designs and are also used for other handi crafts. There are govt handi craft shops run by AP govt selling these at various cities in AP. However I don't think there is one in Lepakshi. Irony.

BTW good info on the eateries.
daisyb is offline   Reply With Quote