Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 29th April 2014, 13:31   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Heaven's Tides - Kausani, up in the Kumaon hills of Uttarakhand

Hello Joy,
This is indeed excellent stuff. Great photos. Any road trip or journey is always nourishing for the soul!!
--
Sayak
sayakc is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 13:45   #17
BHPian

Joy!!

You are the man!! Its been fabulous-truly unputdownable. I especially liked the closeup of Trishul trident. You often say, life is short and one must live it to the fullest--you are truly living it, my friend.

I happened to travel through Kausani on my way back from Curzon's trail-Roopkund combo trek. Having seen Trishul and Nandaghunti from close quarters from those places, I was still mesmerized by the beauty of this little town and distinctly remember stopping by at Kausani just to explore how difficult it is for plains people to purchase properties there.

Wonderful to say the least!!! Both the place and the ballad that you wrote.
Inquisitive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 17:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddarthab View Post
Such an amazing travelogue. Exceptional pictures and a lovely style of writing. Thanks a lot for letting me see the awesome beauty through your eyes.
Thanks Siddarthab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi Joy,

You seem to have explored Himalayas & Uttarakhand like no one before.

I request you to list down the various off-beat destinations in Uttarakhand for the benefit of we BHPians.
Most of these off-beat location would have been made famous by some Hotel/Resorts or celebrities including Tagore.
Thanks Wanderers. I have felt very privileged to have seen a little of the beauty that is Kumaon. Sharing a few memories:
The view from KMVN, Chaukori, Uttarakhand (29.8386243,80.0326431)
Heaven's Tides - Kausani, up in the Kumaon hills of Uttarakhand-chakori.jpg
The Panchachuli from Munsiyari (30.0642188,80.236684)
Heaven's Tides - Kausani, up in the Kumaon hills of Uttarakhand-munsiyari.jpg
The view of Nanda Devi West and Nanda Khat from Jhaltola, Pithodagarh, Uttarakhand. Read more about it on this thread(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...anda-devi.html (Christmas near Nanda Devi))
Heaven's Tides - Kausani, up in the Kumaon hills of Uttarakhand-nandadeviatsunrise.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Hello Joy,
This is indeed excellent stuff. Great photos. Any road trip or journey is always nourishing for the soul!!
--
Sayak
Thanks Sayak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
Joy!!

You are the man!! Its been fabulous-truly unputdownable. I especially liked the closeup of Trishul trident. You often say, life is short and one must live it to the fullest--you are truly living it, my friend.

I happened to travel through Kausani on my way back from Curzon's trail-Roopkund combo trek. Having seen Trishul and Nandaghunti from close quarters from those places, I was still mesmerized by the beauty of this little town and distinctly remember stopping by at Kausani just to explore how difficult it is for plains people to purchase properties there.

Wonderful to say the least!!! Both the place and the ballad that you wrote.
Thanks Inquisitive.
For someone who has gone upclose and personal with these mountains , and captured their unique perspectives on film , these words are more than encouraging - they are Inspiring.

IMHO, Kausani is also the best place to view the Trishul in all of Uttarakhand.
Here is a photo of Trishul, that I clicked in December 2007 @ Kausani - that was on 100 speed kodak film on an F100 with a 70-300 @ ~ 200, with F8 IIRC. Morning shot around 5:30 AM.
Heaven's Tides - Kausani, up in the Kumaon hills of Uttarakhand-trishulfrom-kausani-2007.jpg

In the intervening years, although the town has grown in size and population, this does not seem to have significantly diluted the town's essential character. And that's probably why a few tortured city folks like me keep coming back for some solace.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 29th April 2014 at 18:00.
joybhowmik is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 18:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
.....And that's probably why a few tortured city folks like me keep coming back for some solace.
....there's nothing like mountains. Of course tastes differ between individuals but somehow I found Kumaon ranges with their immediate greenery, the pine trees, the wide valleys somehow present you with a picture postcard idyllic setting while that in Garhwal you get the might of the mountains, its magnanimity, its challenging posture. May be our youth is slowly leaving us and we now appreciate serenity more than ever.

But roads in Kumaon are far better than in Garhwal, at least that was the case around 5 years back.
Inquisitive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 16:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
somehow I found Kumaon ranges with their immediate greenery, the pine trees, the wide valleys somehow present you with a picture postcard idyllic setting while that in Garhwal you get the might of the mountains, its magnanimity, its challenging posture.
very true. the innate difference between the two regions is reflected in the foothills leading up to the mountains.
Garhwahl hills and valleys are drier, more rocky, than those in Kumaon . IIRC, this is because of the differential hydrology of the regions. What a start contrast! And yes, this is the essential difference between Rudra and Shiva but both are two sides of the same coin i.e. Devbhumi
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 18:49   #21
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Joy , nice TL. Uttrakhand is addictive. I think in last five years i have always visited at-least one destination for sure and still Patal bhuvaneshwar, Kausani and Chaukori is pending.
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 18:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Joy , nice TL. Uttrakhand is addictive. I think in last five years i have always visited at-least one destination for sure and still Patal bhuvaneshwar, Kausani and Chaukori is pending.
Vinod sir, you must do it.

Let's do a deal

You do the above three destinations

I will do Leh, Ladakh - long pending for me despite your exhortations!

And then let's put up the photos...
Old 1st May 2014, 19:22   #23
BHPian

I visited this place last year, in August. I, along with my friend went here on our respective bikes(from New Delhi). The experience has been amazing as one can enjoy a 360 degree view of these amazing landscapes, not to forget the fresh breeze all along, unobstructed. August being an off season, we got dirt cheap rates for hotel rooms and food. We were charged 1800 INR for 2 persons which included unlimited meals(breakfast, lunch & dinner). A nice chat and sharing of our rum earned us a free bike wash by one of the room service personnel.
Did you happen to visit the Tea Gardens? That is a famous tourist attraction of this area.
AstaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2014, 22:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstaAddict View Post
Did you happen to visit the Tea Gardens?
Not this time, I have been to the tea gardens earlier though. IIRC a well spent afternoon meandering the hill-side several years ago.

Off-season, is a good time to go too. Especially if one likes the peace and solace that Kausani offers. And then there are the rather interesting walks through the local villages, the handicrafts, having a chai and paranthas at the taxi stand, or even if you feel spiritually inclined - put up at Anushakti Ashram for three days and immerse yourself in godliness.
Old 3rd May 2014, 09:59   #25
BHPian

Great pics Joy da.
With regards to the route that you took, have you tried the Kaldhungi road onwards to Nainital instead of the Rampur-Rudrapur stretch which is more of a lunar surface than anything else.
I was driving to Ramgarh last December in my Honda City with 4 people on board and I must tell you tha Rampur-Rudrapur stretch was an absolute nightmare. The Nainital-Bazpur-Kaladhungi road turned out be quite good in contrast.
Also do you have a flickr/g+ account where you share your pics.
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2014, 11:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
Great pics Joy da.
With regards to the route that you took, have you tried the Kaldhungi road onwards to Nainital instead of the Rampur-Rudrapur stretch which is more of a lunar surface than anything else.
I was driving to Ramgarh last December in my Honda City with 4 people on board and I must tell you tha Rampur-Rudrapur stretch was an absolute nightmare. The Nainital-Bazpur-Kaladhungi road turned out be quite good in contrast.
Also do you have a flickr/g+ account where you share your pics.
Baidurya. Thank you.

Kaladhungi road is my favourite. But this time I have not tried it. Main reason is two-fold
a) If the main NH 87 is bad, esp. Rampur - Rudrapur - imagine what the SH would be like. I had also made some enquiries with our local CR Park taxi wallah - who takes people regularly to Nainital. He had also mentioned that the stretch between Moradabad to Kashipur is bad.
b) I wanted to try out Lee's Kitchen at Kathgodam - see post above.

Regarding your other point about NH-87 being bad last year. Yes I know. I spent some time near Binsar in March, 2013 and had taken this route. The same lunar landscape as you very aptly described. It has changed for the worse in 1 year - a testament to the very temporary nature of repairs carried out by the road gangs. I hope things change with a new administration.

Actually I share most albums on facebook nowadays. I save them with public visibility so one can see the same. It's at this link
Old 3rd May 2014, 13:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Wow ,great pictures joybhowmik ! Being from the same region this thread and the way you described your experience felt really nice.

Quote:
Lee's kitchen, Kathgodam .We stopped here for some wonderful Tangra style Chinese. Mouthwatering - chilly chicken, garlic chicken, schezwan prawn and much much more. And the prices were straight out of Tangra
Hehe i agree ,whenever i visit my grandparents in Haldwani i go there for dinner almost everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
The Panchachuli from Munsiyari (30.0642188,80.236684)
Attachment 1235713
My grandad tells me how breathtaking this view is and how i should go and experience it myself from our own land in Munsiyari but i never got around to it.
faithless_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 18:54   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Did not get clear skies during the visit but here is a time lapse video that I took from Kausani on Saturday morning last

sudev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 00:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Did not get clear skies during the visit but here is a time lapse video that I took from Kausani on Saturday morning last

How were the roads? Did you bite the bullet and go via Ranikhet?
Old 6th May 2014, 07:34   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

No did not go through Ramnagar but used Haldwani-Bhimtal-Bhowali-Ranikhet while going. Roads were okay except some bad patches between Ramnagar and Rudrapur
sudev is online now   Reply With Quote