Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 9th May 2014, 23:37   #1
Smile Motorcycle Ride to Mandalpatti (western ghats of Karnataka)

Hello BHPians,

This is my first travelogue on Team-BHP and happy to share my travel experience to Madalpatti alias Mugilpet in western ghats of Madikeri (Coorg), Karnataka.

Out of many places I visited,I chose this place for write up as a first travelogue since we don’t have more information about this place in the forum as it is one of unexplored place in Coorg.

This place became popular and called as Mugilpet after kannada movie "Galipata" earlier it was called as Madalpatti.

I strongly feel, Coorg is one of the place in Karnataka where I can dwell rest of my rest of life enjoying the enchanting beauty of the place and this trip turned out to be wonderful bliss.

Madalpatti is one of the trekking points in Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary or Pushpagiri Forest Range. Pushpagiri forest range spreads from Subrahmanya in Dakshina Kannada district to Somwarpet in Coorg district covering an area of 102.6 sq km. Kumara Parvata Peak stands the tallest amongst the peaks in Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary.

The route is adventurous, with steep curves and zigzag tracks and Abbey Falls lies along the way. As the roads leading to Madalpatti are narrow, ones who have decided to make it to the beautiful spot need to be a bit adventurous too, but the adventure is worth for the way to the spot is dotted with nature’s bounty as one passes through viewing lush green coffee estates, paddy fields and mountains.

Though it was bachelors gang, the trip seemed more like a family one.We are 7 men crew decided to go by bike from Bangalore after getting information from localities about the pathetic road condition to the view point from Abbey falls.

Crew Members:
Avinash and
Karthik (That’s me !!!)

Bajaj Pulsar – 2
Yamaha R15 v2 – 2
Yamaha F16 - 1

As I wanted to keep my write up short and sweet, I would focus more on Madalpatti and just give a gist on journey from Bangalore to Madikeri as our fellow members have given more information on this front in the forum.
All of us are IT professionals and as per the plan, we all assembled at Nithin house after our work at 6.30PM on friday in HSR Layout, Bangalore.
Our journey begins to Madikeri on our speed machines after filling fuel till the brim. We left Bangalore at 7.00PM and had a relax drive to Madikeri.

Here we go
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 5274
Size:  55.1 KB

Nandish joined us later, as he was meeting us near Kengeri Junction since his house was closer and we took NICE outer road to connect Mysore road to avoid Bangalore traffic and finally Nandish joined the crew after 30mins of delay than the expected time.

As Mandalpatti was the only destination in our mind. Time wasn't a constraint, we spent most of our time on pit stops ,pulling each other’s leg and recollecting some of the enjoyable moments from the past what we had together.

Motorcycle Ride to Mandalpatti (western ghats of Karnataka)-2.jpg

We stopped for dinner near Chennapatna at Shivalli Restaurant and known for their authentic Udupi style of food after covering 90kms from the point of start.

After the appetizing dinner at Shivalli,we continued our journey .

Nithin was the solo guy on Yamaha R15,so I had tied my bag pack on his rear bike seat and he zoomed at some point of time overtaking me. myself and Rakesh on my bike could see bag pack from his bike about to fall down and in blink of eyes,it fell off since we were on around 100 kmph by the time I took U-turn and reached the spot,My bag was RIP after 2 to 3 buses rammed over. My sun screen lotion was splashed and could see white lotion patches on the jet black road,bike tyre puncture kit flew away and we could not find it,Rakesh Fast Track sun glass was into pieces,till date Rakesh is keep asking for new one with Nithin and he has never turned up
Motorcycle Ride to Mandalpatti (western ghats of Karnataka)-3.jpg

Snap taken near Ranganathittu junction after Nithin (shiny Jacket) diminishing my bag pack and Rakesh(extreme left in Adidas Jacket) looks like still in misery for his sun glass.

We reached Madikeri at 3AM morning having lot of fun on the way, bike ride from Kushalnagar to Madikeri was fantastic on that cold weather and had to stop many times, since palm were freezing and had to warm its by touching heated bike engine.

Total Traveled: 260Kms
Travel time: 8hrs, which was pretty expensive.
Route : Bangalore – Bidadi – Ramanagaram – Chennapatna – Maddur – Mandya – Srirangapatna- Ranganatithu – Yelwal – Hunsur – Kempalapura – Piriyapatna – Bylakuppe – Kushalnagara – Suntikoppa – Madikeri

Next day: The Big Day

On the 2nd day we started early morning 6am towards Mandalpatti,
From Madikeri, there are 2 routes to Mandalpatti - one which shares its route with Abbey Falls(around 20kms from Madikeri), the other which goes via Makkandur(around 35kms from Madikeri).The route via Makkandur is a bit longer but I would easily advise it over the other.We took the route from abbey falls since we wanted to be adventurous.

Both the routes take you through the forest, so one never get bored of the 2 hours of journey.

As we drive up the hills ,we can witness the mountains covered with grasslands on the top. Every view from then are all panoramic views of the mountains. The road ends at Pushpagiri reserve forest office, Mandalapatti.

Motorcycle Ride to Mandalpatti (western ghats of Karnataka)-4.jpg
We made it !!!

If I would describe the place in one sentence it would be "No stress, No phones, No pollution, full relax at the untouched".There is a small hill behind the forest office and a pond, one can climb the hill to get the breathtaking views of the valley.There is a view point also build recently.

Motorcycle Ride to Mandalpatti (western ghats of Karnataka)-5.jpg
Motorcycle Ride to Mandalpatti (western ghats of Karnataka)-6.jpg
Name:  7.JPG
Views: 5032
Size:  40.1 KB
Name:  8.JPG
Views: 5128
Size:  30.3 KB
Name:  9.JPG
Views: 5394
Size:  60.5 KB

On top of the hill, the wind blows away your mind. I was a little bit disappointed as there was no mist and the sky was clear on that day, else one can stand on top of the hill where one can feel as if clouds are below them. There are also tents provided from the forest office at a cost and require a prior permission from them to go further trekking the hills.

There is no food facility in Mugilpet but on the way there is one small shop where meals are served by old Coorg couples.

Best time to visit is September to January (The right time to reach the spot is 12.00 noon and it is better to be back by 4.00 pm.)
Nearest Place: Madikeri, Somwarpet.

Terrains what we undergone:

Name:  10.JPG
Views: 5025
Size:  61.1 KB
Attachment 1238914
Name:  12.JPG
Views: 4977
Size:  58.3 KB
Motorcycle Ride to Mandalpatti (western ghats of Karnataka)-13.jpg
Name:  14.JPG
Views: 4865
Size:  78.5 KB
Motorcycle Ride to Mandalpatti (western ghats of Karnataka)-15.jpg
Attachment 1238919
Motorcycle Ride to Mandalpatti (western ghats of Karnataka)-17.jpg

We then left the place in the afternoon and on the way back there were number of small water streams and falls through the route. Madikeri grama panchayat had initiated tar road process, may be by now the process has been completed. Finally ended our journey back to Bangalore on the same day.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th May 2014 at 12:08. Reason: Removing helmetless riding pictures
Karthik Gullu is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 20:23   #2
Default re: Motorcycle Ride to Mandalpatti (western ghats of Karnataka)

Originally Posted by Karthik Gullu View Post
Hello BHPians,

This is my first travelogue on Team-BHP and happy to share my travel experience to Madalpatti alias Mugilpet in western ghats of Madikeri (Coorg), Karnataka.

Hi Karthik, this is one of the best trekking trails in Karnataka. Nice pics, thanks for sharing. We were there last June in the peak of monsson, and the place was misty & magical. We started trekking in the afternoon; at 3 pm it was unbelievably foggy. could not complete the trails as the lady members of our group were not comfortable trekking in fog & drizzle. I am planning to do this trail in Oct later this year.
p.s. : With your permission, I would like to add a couple of pics from my side of the foggy conditions we encountered.

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 10th May 2014 at 20:30.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 14:44   #3
Thumbs up re: Motorcycle Ride to Mandalpatti (western ghats of Karnataka)

Hi Karthik,

Nice pics. I went there with friends almost a decade ago and the views and greenery were awesome. I would warn everyone about getting too close to the ledge though especially during rains. it is a free fall from the slope, and if anyone slips, they can pull themselves and someone else down

Last edited by GTO : 11th May 2014 at 15:16. Reason: Typo
robbythomas79 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014, 21:20   #4
Smile Re: Motorcycle Ride to Mandalpatti (western ghats of Karnataka)

Hi Ankan,
Sure, you can go ahead uploading pictures of Mandalpatti during foggy condition as I didn't get a chance to have a spectacular misty view of mountains and I'm eager to see foggy condition pictures,though the sky was clear it was worth going in my trip .
Karthik Gullu is offline   Reply With Quote