Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 25th July 2014, 21:27   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Trip: The historic ruins of Gaur (near Malda)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
For BHPians travelling in this route - A summary of the route from Burdwan to Moregram via SH7 (via google map).
One question though. How long may it take to reach Malda (Englishbazar) by this route, driving at a sedate pace? And is there any hotel or eatery present in this route which offers basic food (like Rice, Dal, Sabji, fish, etc)?
rahul4640 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2014, 11:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
One question though. How long may it take to reach Malda (Englishbazar) by this route, driving at a sedate pace? And is there any hotel or eatery present in this route which offers basic food (like Rice, Dal, Sabji, fish, etc)?
Driving time - Less than 8 hours. In SH7 driving speed was 70-80 kmph. In Durgapur Expressway, it depends on you.
There is very few food options in SH7, but would recommend avoiding that. Have your breakfast in Saktigarh. Pack some tea and dry foods, stop some where in the middle and have a break. Start early, reach Malda by noon.
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 02:35   #18
BHPian

Hi Gearhead, Thanks for the great narration and photos. I am planning to undertake my first road trip from Kolkata to Bolpur and am therefore closely following all road experiences posted on TeamBHP of people heading north (like your trip). I'm especially encouraged on seeing that you did it using a hatchback (my father is fearful that hatchbacks cannot be used for road trips in Bengal)

You mentioned that you reached Saktigarh at 6-15 after starting from Kolkata at 4-30.. therefore is it ok to assume that at that time journey to Burdwan will take about 2.00 hours (which is good in my opinion -- I last went by road to Bolpur 8 years ago (during Monsoons) and it was a terrible journey by ambassadortaking almost 4 hours if I recall correctly). Did you go via Singur (NH2) or using SH13? How was the road scene, would you suggest I defer the trip till October? I am a bit apprehensive of the state of the road in the rains and couple of old TeamBHP travelogues have warned that the road is not too great. Thanks!

Last edited by Kumar R : 27th July 2014 at 03:05.
Kumar R is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 03:09   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Hi Gearhead, Thanks for the great narration and photos. I am planning to undertake my first road trip from Kolkata to Bolpur and am therefore closely following all road experiences posted on TeamBHP of people heading north (like your trip). I'm especially encouraged on seeing that you did it using a hatchback (my father is fearful that hatchbacks cannot be used for road trips in Bengal)
Dankuni to Bolpur is only 140kms. Dankuni- Palshit- Burdwan- cross Burdwan Bypass take right from there & with in 200 meters take left. (If you get confused asked for 108 shiva temple) From there Bolpur is 52kms. This road goes via Bhedia. Road condition is good through out. Just at Bhedia you have to go through a culvert below a rail way line and in monsoons there is a problem of water logging. In case of water loging you can detour it from the side by town road. Hardly that will be 1-2kms extra.

Hatch backs are not at all a problem here. In fact hatch backs will be easier because of its smaller dimension. Generally it takes me somewhere between 2.5-3 hours. It depends on your driving style. With much sedate driving and stopping also it wont take you more than 3.5 hours from Dankuni to Bolpur.

Last edited by Samba : 27th July 2014 at 03:14.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 11:47   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, its a taboo/fear (sometimes) that road trips in Bengal can't be done in hatchbacks. It's a pleasure driving the hatchbacks with small turning radius.
Try it once!

Quote:
You mentioned that you reached Saktigarh at 6-15 after starting from Kolkata at 4-30.. therefore is it ok to assume that at that time journey to Burdwan will take about 2.00 hours (which is good in my opinion -- I last went by road to Bolpur 8 years ago (during Monsoons) and it was a terrible journey by ambassadortaking almost 4 hours if I recall correctly). Did you go via Singur (NH2) or using SH13? How was the road scene, would you suggest I defer the trip till October? I am a bit apprehensive of the state of the road in the rains and couple of old TeamBHP travelogues have warned that the road is not too great. Thanks!
I started from my home in Behala at 4:30am, went to BP COCO petrol station near Alipore, fueled up, checked all tyre pressures including the spare tyre and then went on taking the Kona Expressway and then Durgapur Expressway. With all that I reached Saktigarh around 6:15 am. So Burdwan can be reached within 2 hours anyday.
As for the onward journey to Bolpur, Samba's direction and guidance is one of a kind.

Have a safe journey!
gearhead_mait is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 00:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

A very nice and crisp travelogue with an insight into Lichu's and Amsatta's. Malda is definitely on my cards now, I love both!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
For BHPians travelling in this route - A summary of the route from Burdwan to Moregram via SH7 (via google map).

The whole route:
Can you provide the link to the whole route, that way we can explode sections at will! (On the map, that is)
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 12:22   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
A very nice and crisp travelogue with an insight into Lichu's and Amsatta's. Malda is definitely on my cards now, I love both!!

Can you provide the link to the whole route, that way we can explode sections at will! (On the map, that is)
Anirban da,

Here is the whole route till malda:

Route Link
gearhead_mait is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2015, 10:18   #23
BHPian

Very detailed and wonderfully written. Do keep writing
subhojitb is offline   Reply With Quote