Old 4th April 2016, 12:03   #106
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: London to Jammu: With a Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldudesunny View Post
Day 24: Touristy Day in Istanbul, Turkey
[Written By Akhil]

Our walkathon through the town looks something like this once plotted on Google Maps.

Attachment 1493874
That's a quite walk!

Tees 'Hum Dono'

I see lot of fishing rods placed on the Chirpy Bridge? How does it work? You pay and use or you fish and give the fish for frying
LoneRidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 09:30   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
That's a quite walk!

Tees 'Hum Dono'

I see lot of fishing rods placed on the Chirpy Bridge? How does it work? You pay and use or you fish and give the fish for frying
Yeah man, it was quite some walk.

People drop the hook and then tie the rods down, when they see some movement they pull the hook out and put their catch in the bucket filled with water to keep the fish alive or in a big utensil to see the catch for frying ;-)
cooldudesunny is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 09:36   #108
BHPian

Day 25: Istanbul to Trabzon (Turkey) Non-Stop to board Ferry to Sochi (Russia)
[Written By Akhil]

We tried to wake up early, well we tried. We both still could not digest the fact that we indeed were going to cut short the Turkey stay and will have to reach Trabzon to catch the ferry in time. Whether the ferry will leave tomorrow was still uncertain, but missing the ferry meant we would had to forget about Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan!

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-istanbultotrabzon.png

Aarti quickly made a list of absolutely "To-Do" things in Istanbul before we started for Trabzon. It wasn't a big list i.e. To visit a Salon and do breakfast in a local restaurant. While she alone was witness to the services offered by the Salon i can vouch for the breakfast, it indeed was great and we did not miss on the dessert (Baklava) and off-course the Turkish tea ;-)

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-turkeyistanbulsalon.jpg

Restaurant was quite close to the hotel, so we got back in, did checkout, moved the stuff into the car, bid good bye to the hotel staff and in no time we were back on the road. By the time we left it was already noon, which essentially meant we would be reaching Trabzon by next day morning only if we drove non-stop for 1000+ KMs.

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-breakfastbaklavaistanbulturkey.jpg

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-turkishtea.jpg

Istanbul is a crowded place, and that soon hit us as we were trying to enter the Asian side of Turkey. After spending few hours to get out soon we were happily cruising at greater speeds, thanks to the smooth and potholes free roads of Turkey.

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-aartiakhilistanbulturkey.jpg

I barely saw any cops or speed cameras, even the tolls were unmanned and i could see the amount displayed on the digital screen adding up every time we crossed the booth. Good thing is that we never got those bills ;-)

Missing cops/speed cameras, smooth roads, and darkness of the night are good enough ingredients for a passionate rider/driver like yours truly to push that accelerator a little harder (if you know what i mean), and by Shiv's grace we managed to reach Trabzon by 3 AM traveling at the speed of 110 MPH ;-)

Aarti had by mistake (yes she makes mistakes) booked the hotel in Trabzon on a wrong date, but the staff at Hotel Novotel was kind enough to accommodate us without a fuss.
cooldudesunny is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 17:47   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Boy! It would be year soon since you started your travelogue, I guess you have to reach Kashmir soon!

Me, running out of patient
Old 26th May 2016, 10:19   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Boy! It would be year soon since you started your travelogue, I guess you have to reach Kashmir soon!

Me, running out of patient
he he .. This is exactly what my wife told me few weeks back :-p
cooldudesunny is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 10:36   #111
BHPian

Day 26: Ferry from Trabzon to Sochi, Russia
[Written By Akhil]

We woke up praying to Shiv that the ferry does leave today. We were still not sure because we had no tickets, not even sure if there was any ferry leaving today! All we had was on contact whom Aarti was in touch with over the email and an address he gave us to come over once in Trabzon, around 9 AM. There is no point worrying on an empty stomach, so we treated ourselves to the breakfast that Novatel was serving.

Moment of truth was finally here i.e. 9 AM, so we put everything in the car and started towards the address we had from the email. It was pretty close to the harbour and 10 minutes drive from the hotel. So, here we were in front of the address which would tell us if the ferry was on schedule or not. Both of us parked the car and walked into the shop, and were greeting by the gentleman who was in touch with us over emails. That gave us some confidence and soon he introduced us to the Captain of the ship as well. All was going well and then he inquired us about who all were traveling and about the car, they told us the fare and it all came down to $400.00 including a cabin for 2 individuals and parking space for the car. However, the Captain was still not sure if the ferry would leave the shore as they would wait for a certain number of passenger before making a decision.

So, the ferry leaves every 2 weeks on a Wednesday, and their sales office in Trabzon is located at Alfa Gate (A Gate) of the Port (Google Map URL)

Email: info@pirireisshipping.com
Mobile: +90 543 894 1461 (International Call)
0543 894 1461 (Domestic Call)

Passenger Ticket: $120.00 for Seat & $150.00 for Cabin
Car Ticket: $500.00

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-trabzon.png

So, the ferry leaves every 2 weeks on a Wednesday, and their sales office in Sochi at:

Sochi-Kiyitour
Kurortniy Prospekt St. 50 Htl.
Sochi Floo - 3
Telephone: 609702, 620221

Their headoffice is in Athens, Greece:
Ruzvelt 18120 Koridalos,
Athens, Greece

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-ferryfromturkeytorussiaticket1.jpg

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-ferryfromturkeytorussiaticket3.jpg

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-ferryfromturkeytorussiaticket4.jpg

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-ferryfromturkeytorussiaticket5.jpg

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-ferryfromturkeytorussiaticket2.jpg

They told us to come back around noon, we were a little relaxed now and thought of grabbing a quick lunch in a nearby mall and kill some time as well while we were at it.

We found a restaurant serving food similar to Subway, i dint like it much but there were not many options so we were just glad that we ate something familiar :-)

It was almost noon, so we headed back to the harbour. We parked the car close to the ferry, did final checks in terms of what stuff we needed to keep out and what stuff in the car. Finally we got the news that the Captain has given a go ahead to the scheduled departure, we both were elated. Our journey had been trouble free ever since we left London and we glad that things had been working out, sometimes at the last moment but no complaints as long as it works ;-)

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-ferryfromtrabzontosochi.jpg

Aarti is the registered owner of the car, so she was asked to park the car inside the ferry. It was not as straight forward as car was supposed to be taken inside in reverse gear :-p

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-ferrysparkingarea.jpg

Finally she did it and stared checking out the ferry. I was still out and waiting for to clear the passport control. It was almost evening but we were glad that we dint had to cut short our journey and go back to London. Eventually, all passengers boarded the ferry and ferry left the port. We checked into our cabin which had stacked beds, and it was not bad.

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-ferryleavingtheport.jpg

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-weenjoyinethemoment.jpg

I decided to get some stuff out of the car and was surprised to notice that cars safety alarm was on. I switched it off, took my stuff and came back up. I however, had this intuition and went back to check again and it was on again! My guess is that the alarm was going off because car's sensor was experiencing movement even though the car was locked. So, i disconnected the battery and locked the car as dead battery in the morning was the last thing we would want.

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dhannoparkedandchained2.jpg

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-dhannoparkedandchained.jpg

London to Jammu: With a Range Rover-wemadesomefriends.jpg

We were carrying some fruit for the journey, so we had some of it, enjoyed the view from our cabin window and decided to sleep off as we were going to dock early in the morning at Sochi port. We were really excited to be in Russia finally :-)

Last edited by cooldudesunny : 26th May 2016 at 10:37.
cooldudesunny is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 12:38   #112
BHPian

Hello, hello anybody there? hello, its been very very long..no update!!
Old 5th December 2016, 17:58   #113
BHPian

Beautiful journey Akhil and lovely presentation, you appear to have had a pretty smooth uninterrupted ride across Europe but the readers of your log have not been so lucky !! Come on man finish the job we all want to know the rest of it.
manmohanmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 10:32   #114
BHPian

Quote:
[b]Day 26: Ferry from Trabzon to Sochi, Russia
Hmm, this has been my longest wait! Please pull the next part out soon!