Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 7th June 2014, 12:07   #16
BHPian

Default re: Goa - Of the lesser known Sojourns

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post

Boss: “if possible, yesterday...”
..reminds of innocent saying that he has already started and if needed he can start an hour early

Awesome pics Dhanush..Looks like I am seeing goa through your photography
alexpaul is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 13:01   #17
BHPian

Truly off beat Goa, Dhanush. The picture of the approach road through the Jungle with the Three Kings Church at the top was the best pic of the post. It conveyed the remoteness of the place so beautifully! None other than a BHPian will venture into such unchartered areas ! The Japanese Garden too with the adjoining "Grandmother's hole beach"(what a name sirji) will be an introduction to even Goan locals !
The pictures I personally envy the most are from the Cola beach. There is a reason behind this. This January, I stayed in Palolem for 3 nights and one late afternoon me along with my wife, took a scooter ride to check out Agonda and Cola beach. After spending an hour at Agonda, I left for Cola beach around 4 Pm. But after a Km into the Kutcha road(actually there wasn't any road only stones and potholes) leading upto the beach, I gave up considering the remoteness of the place(there wasn't a soul in the area even at 4.30 PM) and also because we couldn't see any beach because of the elevation of the mud road. After seeing the pics of this well hidden gem Cola beach, I realise what I had missed that day.
venkatt1800 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 15:26   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Very well written with amazing photography.

Exploring the unexplored gives a lot of satisafaction. Now, I am waiting for an opportunity to venture into the unexplored places in Goa. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks JoseVijay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Great pics and long list of offbeat locations.
Need to make a trip to Goa again

Also, did you visit Lady of the mount church ?
Noooo!!!
I did not visit that church.
I missed it

I caught a glimpse of it from far off, (from the ruins of St Augustine Church)
The white beauty looked pretty perched atop a hill, surrounded by greens.

I so much wanted to visit there.
Heard that the view from atop is awesome.
But, due paucity of time, I couldn't go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpaul View Post
..reminds of innocent saying that he has already started and if needed he can start an hour early

Thanks alexpaul.
Yes, even I do remember that movie. How can one forget those epic classics?
"Mannar Mathai Speaking" Isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatt1800 View Post
Truly off beat Goa, Dhanush. The picture of the approach road through the Jungle with the Three Kings Church at the top was the best pic of the post. It conveyed the remoteness of the place so beautifully! None other than a BHPian will venture into such unchartered areas ! The Japanese Garden too with the adjoining "Grandmother's hole beach"(what a name sirji) will be an introduction to even Goan locals !
The pictures I personally envy the most are from the Cola beach. There is a reason behind this. This January, I stayed in Palolem for 3 nights and one late afternoon me along with my wife, took a scooter ride to check out Agonda and Cola beach. After spending an hour at Agonda, I left for Cola beach around 4 Pm. But after a Km into the Kutcha road(actually there wasn't any road only stones and potholes) leading upto the beach, I gave up considering the remoteness of the place(there wasn't a soul in the area even at 4.30 PM) and also because we couldn't see any beach because of the elevation of the mud road. After seeing the pics of this well hidden gem Cola beach, I realise what I had missed that day.
Thanks venkatt1800.
You definitely did miss a lot in Cola beach.
Yes, the path is a bit treacherous and will put you off pretty soon.
I can very well understand how you felt given that you started to this place in the evening at 1600 hrs.
With sunset nearing, you wouldn'tve wanted to waste time searching for a probably good looking beach.

But you missed some blissful solitude
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 18:03   #19
BHPian

Default Re: Goa - Of the lesser known Sojourns

Amazing Mr. D, your travelogue always is a great source of refreshment and it has succeeded to do so again. Your pics are amazing as usual. I would request you to add the remaining areas and not worry about the TL getting longer.

This is one of the reason why I really miss India even though the petrol prices are high.

The only place I have visited is Naval Museum along with BigBrad some 3-4 years back. So I have some places to cover. Hope I will do the trip along with you sometime, if you are in Goa.

Thanks for sharing mate. Do share the rest.

Cheers

Edit: Forgot to mention. Silhouette photography at its best.

Last edited by voyageur : 7th June 2014 at 18:05.
voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2014, 16:26   #20
BHPian

Thanks for your words of appreciation voyageur.
We will definitely count all these places if you visit Goa when I'm still here.

And for sharing the remaining, it will take some time.
I don't have the luxury of a computer with me now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Amazing Mr. D, your travelogue always is a great source of refreshment and it has succeeded to do so again. Your pics are amazing as usual. I would request you to add the remaining areas and not worry about the TL getting longer.

This is one of the reason why I really miss India even though the petrol prices are high.

The only place I have visited is Naval Museum along with BigBrad some 3-4 years back. So I have some places to cover. Hope I will do the trip along with you sometime, if you are in Goa.

Thanks for sharing mate. Do share the rest.

Cheers

Edit: Forgot to mention. Silhouette photography at its best.
dhanushmenon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2014, 18:06   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Great snaps and information as usual Mr. D. Thanks for sharing with us.

We should definitely plan for a road trip to Goa from Kochi.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2014, 21:57   #22
BANNED

Quote:
It was then used as a prison till 1955 after it was taken over by the British.
Are you sure? AFAIK the British never had any presence in Goa. In fact Bombay (Mumbai) was gifted to the British by the Portuguese.
Live To Jive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 07:44   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Are you sure? AFAIK the British never had any presence in Goa. In fact Bombay (Mumbai) was gifted to the British by the Portuguese.
You got me thinking with that.
I think you are right in that

British did not have a strangle hold on the whole of Indian territory.
By the end of 19th century, the Portuguese colonies in India were Goa, Daman & Diu, Dadra & Nagar Haveli and the Anjadiv Islands.
Actually, Goa was liberated by the Indian navy from the clutches of Portuguese in 1961.

What I wrote on the thread was the info I got from a pamphlet whih was served to me on the hotel in which I stayed.
And I admit the mistake that I didn't think it over when I was penning the article.

However, there might be a possibility that the British had taken over this for some periods in history. I am not very sure of that.

Nevertheless, I stand corrected.
Thanks for pointing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Great snaps and information as usual Mr. D. Thanks for sharing with us.

We should definitely plan for a road trip to Goa from Kochi.
Thanks deetjohn.
The road trip looks like a bleak possibility due to the fact that we will all require atleast a week layoff from office for us to drive- visit and drive back.

Given that most of is travel with families, drive alone will consume 3-4 days.
Let's see how it shapes up in future
Old 9th June 2014, 10:44   #24
BHPian

Beautiful pictures and thanks for sharing the unknown locations !
I really liked how you ended the travelogue with the introduction of your companion... ever majestic RE !!!
srikrishna717 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 16:04   #25
BHPian

Beautiful travelogue with superb snaps a well written narrative. 3kings church, Grandmothers Hole beach and the Naval museum is definitely on my list when i go to Goa next. It is surely a novel way of exploring Goa, by avoiding the most visited places.

In addition to the churches, Goa has lot of temples built in the lineage of our ancient architecture some of the noteworthy temples are ShantaDurga and Mhalasa temples.

At which place did you click the 3 pic ?? would definitely like to go there.

I have been contemplating about going for a RE for sometime now, but havent really got down to making an acquisition plan. Maybe someday.
FrankMartin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 17:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

"Been there and done that" was the feeling until few hours ago but no more. The amazing narration and equally fantastic photographs make this travelogue an unique experience. I have been to some of these places (fort and beach) but never had the experience you took me through your tlog.

Terekhol fort is one such experience you may want to end down if you have done that earlier. The ferry rides for your vehicle and those deserted beaches with serene experience are things to chase again and again.

Great write up and thank you for this treat
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 18:29   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikrishna717 View Post
Beautiful pictures and thanks for sharing the unknown locations !
I really liked how you ended the travelogue with the introduction of your companion... ever majestic RE !!!
Thanks srikrishna717. Glad you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMartin View Post
3kings church, Grandmothers Hole beach and the Naval museum is definitely on my list when i go to Goa next. It is surely a novel way of exploring Goa, by avoiding the most visited places.

At which place did you click the 3 pic ?? would definitely like to go there.
I have been contemplating about going for a RE for sometime now, but havent really got down to making an acquisition plan. Maybe someday.
The three kings church, grand mother's hole beach and Naval Aviation museum; all are located near by. You can definitely make that count.

The place where I clicked the third picture is inside the Naval base near the Naval Aviation Museum. You would need special permission to get in there.
Else, find a Navy man who can take you there

By the way, that's not my RE.
That was lent to me by a friend.
I'm from kochi. My RE Thunderbird is resting in the garage now.
Need to fire it up as soon as I reach back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Terekhol fort is one such experience you may want to end down if you have done that earlier. The ferry rides for your vehicle and those deserted beaches with serene experience are things to chase again and again.

Great write up and thank you for this treat
Thanks abirnale for your very kind words.
I did visit the Terekol beach and fort. But gave that a pass in the thread as it was already getting very long.
I had mentioned that in the last post (#10 I think)

Quote:
Phew!!!

This travelogue has already been long enough.
I wanted to include Terakhol fort and beach too.
I would give that a pass now
Old 9th June 2014, 23:08   #28
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Goa - Of the lesser known Sojourns

Quote:
.......... Portuguese colonies in India were Goa, Daman & Diu, Dadra & Nagar Haveli and the Anjadiv Islands.
Actually, Goa was liberated by the Indian navy from the clutches of Portuguese in 1961.........
Actually Goa was liberated by a combined effort of the three services . It was called Operation Vijay (the same name was given to the Kargil Operations in 1999 to evict intruders in Kargil- Batalik - Drass and nearby areas). Here's a link... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Vijay.

All the same, a great travelogue !

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 06:44   #29
BHPian

Thank you Dhanush for an amazing travelogue with beautiful pictures-especially those of the sunsets.
I am a malayalee myself and was amused to see the ubiquitous mundu clad malayalee in Goa.
I have been to Goa a few times, but never really explored places off the beaten track. Reading your post, I am convinced that I should make another trip after the monsoons, with the family, by road from Kochi and then explore these places.
Btw, are you aware of a T-BHP, meet at Kochi?. I am new to town and would love to meet up with fellow-Bhpians.
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 06:53   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpaul View Post

Who can forget those classic wits. That film was a true comedy epic. Nice one!
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote