Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 4th June 2014, 15:52   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Photologue : Short stay in Bangalore

Nice travelogue and good to see Bangalore through the eyes of a visitor. Even Ecospace and the surroundings looked good in your photographs. . I guess when you live in a place for a long time, you only focus on the bad things and it takes something like this to bring out a fresh view of this City.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 16:12   #17
BHPian

Nice photolog there. I must say, being in bangalore for almost 15 years, I know pretty much everything you have seen but have not really "noticed" them as such. Thanks for bringing that view to "namma bengaluru". As a migrant Bangalorean, I do feel proud someone from Mumbai has many positives about out "little" city.
Yes, next time around, do holler. Many of us are near ecospace/electronics city/koramangala/hsr layout etc.
gtonsing is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 17:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, like everyone before me have said, it is refreshing to look at Bangalore from a tourist's eyes. Most of us have just got jaded to the sights and sounds of Bangalore now. Refreshing indeed!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 17:54   #19
BHPian

Good set of pics there!!

BTW, you said Autos here don't charge as the meter. It's not so. Meter is always used, but they might charge little extra over meter if the destination is in some interior location or during night.
Karthik1100 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 18:02   #20
BHPian

Hey V12 !!!

Superb photologue.
It has brought back memories of the 6 years I stayed in Bangalore before moving to Dehli recently. (family commitments)

I believe you stayed in Bellandur (the village you wrote about) next to the Ecospace Tech park. It really was a village 6 years ago and you could hardly find an autowallah ready to drop you there from Koramangala after 7pm in the evening.

Did you mention that the flyover from the Airport to Hebbal has been opened. Now that is some news. It had been under construction from some time in 2011 and finally 6 months after I left Bangalore, it has been opened. (Banaglore govt. --- That is so very rude.)

As you rightly pointed out, the public transport system is very efficient and I agree with that though with a small caveat that it is horrible post 9p.m. on certain routes. Since the stretch you stayed in, has a multitude of It companies, the BMTC services them with the swanky Volvo buses but then the whole of Bangalore is not so very lucky.

The autos rightly should be your last resort as they are
a) way to pricey
b) hardly go by meter
c) refuse outright to go to certain places
d) take you for a ride if they find out that you are new to the city

Bangaloreans are crazy for vintages and some well to do people have swanky cars that zoom past you every other day. The traffic situation is a mess in the areas of the city where IT companies have come a cropper. (Whitefiled, KTPO, Sarjapur, Marathalli, KR Puram, Manyata Tech Park etc).

Though nothing can beat the charm of the UB City, Lal Bagh and Cubbon Park, Bangalore's pleasent weather is a big boost.

Thank you for bringing back fond memories of the time I spent in Bangalore.
maverick.munish is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 18:05   #21
BHPian

Great photolog. Next time you are here, venture out to old areas in Bangalore like Basavangudi, Rajajinagar, Malleswaram etc to see a different side of the story and interact with local folks.
You got the perspective right. I am sure the first page will be an eye candy for all fellow BHPians in Garden City.
Its still one of the best cities in India despite of the exponential growth of " Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation" thread.
Ohh!Oxygen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 18:06   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
It's not so. Meter is always used, but they might charge little extra over meter if the destination is in some interior location or during night.
Karthik
You are one lucky chap whom the auto wallahs have not robbed off literally.
quite possible that you speak the local language and hence can coerce the auto wallah to go by the meter.
Not everyone is as lucky as you mate.

If not more, atleast 50% never go by meter, and 30% of the remaining ones have faulty meters that overcharge, sometimes as much as 1.5 times.

Last edited by maverick.munish : 4th June 2014 at 18:07. Reason: Name spelt incorrectly.
maverick.munish is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 19:33   #23
BHPian

Dear V12, You made us Bangaloreans feel very good with your generous praise of our city. We are still lamenting what Bangalore was and what it could have been.

Like every city it has its good and bad sides. You have visited only the flashy and new areas of the city. The "pete" areas in the old walled city are a different experience altogether if you dont mind the crowded streets. Bangalore grew from there.

It was nice to feel the excitement about the flight and the chance to visit a new city that you always only heard of. I have similar feelings for Mumbai which I have not visited (except for a couple of minutes on the tarmac of the airport between planes). I hope to visit your city soon and spend some time in the streets.
drjkonline is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 20:18   #24
BHPian

Dear V12

I have been out of Bangalore for a few months now. And your thread just refreshed the city for me.

The city looks way better in pictures than what I remember it as

Thanks for the praises on the my home town.
Mafia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 20:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hey V12, its so heartening to see someone like you covering our bengaluru. The places we have spent majority of our life (thats me saying about me!) is so much appreciated - we are loving our city even more now

I am not sure if you were in touch with any of the tbhpians before or during this trip but there are many of us who would have loved to meetup with you over a coffee. We meet regularly. Yeah not as regularly as you and others in mumbai do - almost every fortnight if I am not mistaken. So next time you come here, please send a PM and we can lead you in the city for even more delightful experience
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 22:17   #26
BHPian

A very insightful and beautiful photologue indeed ! I never knew Bangalore is soo beautiful unless I saw your pictures . I have been to Bangalore a couple of times but the next time I am gonna be there its going to be different , because I will look at all these places with a different eye
lone_driver is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 01:51   #27
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangloreans - Thank you very much for the warm welcome!!! Makes we want to come to Bangalore again just to meet all of you'll. I actually wanted to post on the public forum that I would be visiting Bangalore - but I was really not sure of my schedule so decided to give it a miss. I am feeling very bad about it now.

I literally liked everything about Bangalore - especially the weather. As mentioned by someone, I only visited the developed places - and my views of the city are based on those places. But I am sure my views wouldnt have changed even if I had visited the undeveloped rural / village areas.

The next time I visit Bangalore - I will make sure that I inform you guys about it.

Thank you once again for all your kind posts! Am really happy you guys liked it.!!

Quote:
Might I ask, where exactly were the Mercedes Benz W110 & the W126 seen?
Hey Fintail, Hmmm.... I dont know where was this place - but it was somewhere near BTM layout. The pic of the amby has the phone number of the garage - incase you need the exact loacation.
Name:  Ambassador.jpg
Views: 1704
Size:  489.5 KB
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 09:00   #28
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent Pics and Travelogue (Photologue), gives a different perspective to my city when viewed from the eyes of a first-time visitor

I remembered taking my cousins out to show them the city way, way back almost 30 years ago during their first visit to Bangalore. Of course there were no UB city, malls, etc. We had then been to Lalbagh, Cubbon Park, The Fort and Tipu's Palace near K R Market and the Bangalore Palace. And now we have so many other "top places to visit", how times change!

The MG Road metro station is already operational. You probably got that impression since the stairs to access it from the opposite side of the road is yet to be completed.

Last edited by NPV : 5th June 2014 at 09:04.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 09:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Very nice photologue.

Bangalore is my home now. Been living here for close to 10 years. It has its ups and downs but for the most part, its all good. It gets warmer by the year but once the rains set in, its chill pill for the next 6-7 months. The Bangalore I like is still the main city area. Can't think of moving out of there. Whitefield and areas close to all the IT hubs are not for me.

Having lived in Bombay, personally, I find it a more friendly place to live. Super expensive to rent or buy property but thats it. Everything else costs similar money, maybe less. I did not take my motorcycle to Bombay and I did not miss it. Auto's and cabs were cheap (Mostly Fiats). There was a proper fare structure if you took a rick or cab late in to the night. When I moved to Bombay in 2004-2005, I split the cost for an apartment with three other chaps. Back then, it cost us Rs. 8000 for a 500sq foot apartment. This was opposite the L&T factory in Powai. In comparison, I pay peanuts for a really nice apartment in Bangalore. The surrounding area is much better too.

I remember Ashok Leyland launching the new EDC buses first in Bombay. Was a thrill for me. I used to wait to board that bus cause it had a very different sound and was quite powerful.

There is a lot to like about both cities.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 12:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see a fresh view of Bangalore, everyday traffic and the grind just does not let you see anything apart from the bad parts of the city. I am guessing you were staying at Novotel, a quick bus ride to HSR Layout 3M on a Saturday or Sunday and you could have met some or the other team-bhpian's.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote