Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 5th June 2014, 12:57   #31

Default Re: Photologue : Short stay in Bangalore

It is refreshing to see Bangalore from a different point of view. Thanks for sharing.
RoadSafety_RR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 13:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the pics.Though I have visited Bangalore twice,am yet to see the city.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 14:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

Didn't know most people think autos dont use meters.

Regarding that Marut aircraft, it crashed near the airport and that area is now called Marath-halli (from Marut-halli).

I am sure you would have liked the older areas even better with lots of green and relatively clean places.(Basavanagudi, Jayanagara, Malleshwaram etc). Plus of course coffee and South Indian snacks.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 14:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
So finally at the end of my stay, here are my impressions of Bangalore. These are my personal views and may differ / vary with what actually is.

...[*]Bangalore is full of Team-BHPians – there was never a day where I did not see a Team-BHP stickered car. Of the number of cars that I photographed – I spotted three times more which I couldn’t click. IronHawk – I wonder how you manage to click almost all of them. Team-BHP stickered cars (this is just a fraction of what I saw)
The red Polo that you clicked belongs to member CalypsoGT.
KiloAlpha is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 15:20   #35
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
Good set of pics there!!

BTW, you said Autos here don't charge as the meter. It's not so. Meter is always used, but they might charge little extra over meter if the destination is in some interior location or during night.
Sorry Karthik. I have argued many times with auto drivers in Hebbal to use meters but failed. I think they learnt from Chennai autowallas .

Wonderful V12. No doubt Bangalore is one of the beautiful cities in the world and obviously the best in India. Bangaloreans have some kind of architectual mind (everything to have some beauty in it). Even the newly constructed Namma Metro pillars have a nandi engraved.

During my school days, the management used to arrange tours every year for 8th standard students and above, by default the touring places were Bangalore and Mysore every year. When some of the teachers felt boring, they changed it to Ooty, Mysore and Bangalore .

Whenever there is a request for official travel to Bangalore, I am one of the strong contenders..

I feel except school fees, the cost of living in Bangalore has become much cheaper than Chennai.

As a citizen of India, it is our duty to preserve this wonderful city...
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 15:33   #36
BHPian

Quote:
As mentioned by someone, I only visited the developed places -

Hey Fintail, Hmmm.... I dont know where was this place - but it was somewhere near BTM layout. The pic of the amby has the phone number of the garage - incase you need the exact loacation.
Very nice to see so much of modern Bangalore through your lens. Next time you should make some time to visit Lalbagh botanical gardens or part of Cubbon park too just to feel the fresh air and super greenery with just the sound of birds or silence, there is acres of green foliage.

Regarding Fintail's query about the Mercs it appears to be the one next to Bangalore Club on Richmond road, used to be an auto dealer by name Standard automobiles. Also double checked on the signboard (Akshaya India ) in the background of the photo and google maps suggests to the same location.
majumon is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 21:51   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

That S600 you saw at the airport is owned by the King of good times I think.

Your pics and your photologue is wonderful! You have captured pics of places we Bangaloreans take for granted!

Absolutely enjoyed this thread thoroughly!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 13:41   #38
BHPian

Thank you for sharing. As Vid mentioned, if you're coming back, let us know. A few of us live near Ecospace / Marathahalli area and we could have a welcome party for an out-of-towner!
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 14:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

Talking Re: Photologue : Short stay in Bangalore

So! There is also a beautiful side to Bangalore. There is a lot to see in Bangalore. The church pictures were especially nice, very beautiful architecture. Nice photologue; from the vehicles, what I liked the most was the vestibule buses. We don't get to see them in Mumbai/Pune at all. And as you mentioned there are a lot of stickered cars.

Did you spot the master spotter of team-bhp.com?
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 17:16   #40

Refreshing to see Bangalore through your eyes, we hardly get time during the weekends to take time out and visit all the places. And yes there are many BHpians around . BTW i am also in RMZ Ecospace so give me a shout next time.
josh.machine is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2014, 11:17   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you for a set of beautiful pics. You managed to visit more places in such a short time than I have in around 4-5 years in Bangy.

And the metro in MG road is very much operational. Did you not see any trains chugging along?

Quote:
A pair of E250Ds for sale
Attachment 1246781
That's W124? What a beautiful design. The white one ideally should be an easy pick as it sports an MH badge.

Quote:
Miscellaneous pics in and around UB City :

The "Meghana Biriyani" shot in one of the pics, is quite famous in Bangalore. Am sure you would NOT have tried it but.

Quote:
  • Bangalore is full of Team-BHPians – there was never a day where I did not see a Team-BHP stickered car. Of the number of cars that I photographed – I spotted three times more which I couldn’t click. IronHawk – I wonder how you manage to click almost all of them. Team-BHP stickered cars (this is just a fraction of what I saw)...
Call it a mere coincidence, the first pairs of pics have the same set of stickers stuck at the same place in the same order!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2014, 11:36   #42

Quote:
(since auto's are expensive and do not run on meters)
Not exactly. Autos do run on meters and most of them do when you ask them to. However in the past 7-10 yrs with the influx of immigrants from other states this seems to be declining. The reason seems to be that in other cities (Chennai etc.) you negotiate the rate before getting in and people from such cities are doing the same here in Bangalore causing the Auto drivers to now behave much the same way against all others as well.

I'm not sure how we can exactly solve this, probably figuring out some way to educate/inform visitors and immigrants to the city that autos run by meter and don't encourage fixing the rates before.

I do request all visitors to Bangalore to just state your destination and ask them to turn on the meter.

Also I did notice that you clicked a bunch of pictures as the aircraft was taking off. If you used your cellphone to click those pics, I'd like to request you not to do that. The announcements and regulations to turn off those phones are there for a reason. Your cellphone can cause interference with the avionics and other systems and mess up things.

Those 150ft long wires running along the length of the fuselage make for excellent antennas for even the weakest of signals, couple that with those signals getting amplified/boosted somewhere in the system and it can cause issues.

It doesn't happen always, but does so very very very rarely, I reckon when all the circumstances are just right for that signal to mess things up. If you lose your GPS Satellites on the ground you just pull over or keep driving and wait for it to recapture the satellites, you can't do that when you are trying to find the runway in the fog and relying on your GPS or other nav systems (esp ILS). Same thing with radios, satellite TVs, phone etc. you drop a call, no big deal call back. And since it isn't such a big deal you hardly even notice the loss of signal or loss in quality.

Incident reports of PED's (cellphones, passenger hand held GPSes, laptops etc,) interfering with aircraft systems: http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/docs/rpsts/ped.pdf

See incidents nos. 2, 10, 18, 21, 22, 31, 34, 40, 41, 42. (FYI TCAS in the report is Traffic Collision Avoidance System, the system that tells you if you are going to crash into another plane or not)

Straight from the horses mouth: http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aer..._textonly.html

A good paper on how electronic devices affect aircraft systems (IEEE investigating them), with even more incident reports: http://spectrum.ieee.org/aerospace/a...t-any-airspeed

It doesn't happen very often, but when it does it could be potentially harmful.

In my time flying I've only seen it happen once, my friend had left his iPhone 3GS on and was receiving a call, I lost my navigation systems just before landing (just before lining up with the runway when i was on relying on my instruments for the landing approach), not a situation I want to be in ever. I've also had pilot buddies who had similar issues on the B1900, King Air and a few other corp jets too.

I'd like to request you and other t-bhp members reading this from using their cell phones (even for taking pics, playing games etc.) in flight.
WD-42 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2014, 23:42   #43
BHPian

Thanks for sharing these great pictures of Bangalore. Despite the growth and traffic, the city is still beautiful.

My office is in UB City. Imagine!

There is a service called HOHO (Hop On Hop Off) service run by BMTC that takes you to a couple of dozens of places in the city, which include parts of South, West and North Bangalore like Bull Temple, Iskcon, Palace, and many others. Though the buses stop at each place for only 15 minutes, you can wait for the next one. You also can choose which spots to visit and which ones to drop.

Read more here: http://www.mybmtc.com/bangalore-rounds

And regarding Autos, the rule is simple. If you can speak a few words in Kannada, you can go by meter to almost any part of the city, except the outskirts. Despite the welcoming nature of the city, the locals would appreciate if tourists try to learn a few words of Kannada. When we can try to pick up a bit of French when we visit Paris, why not a bit of Kannada while visiting Bangalore?

Next time you come here, hope you can visit areas of the city like Jayanagar, Malleswaram, Basavangudi and the various 'Petes'. As many others have told, it will help you enjoy the old world charm in Bangalore.
nvramsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 01:46   #44
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also I did notice that you clicked a bunch of pictures as the aircraft was taking off. If you used your cellphone to click those pics, I'd like to request you not to do that. The announcements and regulations to turn off those phones are there for a reason. Your cellphone can cause interference with the avionics and other systems and mess up things.
Thanks for the detailed explanation WD and point very well taken. I agree that was not the right thing to do - even though I had switched my phone to flight mode.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 09:04   #45
Team-BHP Support

Damn, you virtually clicked my office and nearly clicked my home. You should have pinged us, then you would have seen a little less of the Volvo buses.

The S600 was Vijay Mallya's, looks like he cannot afford his own plane now
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote