Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 15th June 2014, 15:00   #1
BHPian

Post Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park

After the closing the Financial Year in March I was quite relaxed in April with a subsided work load. Keeping in mind the upcoming Summer Vacations I started planning on a trip with my wife to Pelling City, Sikkim. Last December I had been to Darjeeling and Dooars hence was acquainted with the road conditions till Siliguri. Driving through places already know was not my set of cards still to keep my wife calm had to agree to it.

On a weekend I had been to my in laws place in Kolkata and was invited by my Uncle in Law, Anirban for lunch. Later in the TL Uncle in law will be called as Anirban KIL who shared the same passion of driving as I do. After having a sumptuous lunch we sat for a small chit chat over ice-cream (in Bengali we call it an ďaddaĒ). As usual our topic of adda is always Road Trip and Vacations. Keeping in mind the upcoming vacation I was very interested to know about their Kumaon Road Trip which they had done a year back.

Anirban KIL and his wife Anwesha KIL switched on their LCD and as their Kumaon Road Trip pictures started sliding on the screen the adda became intense with a detailed story of their trip. Anirban KIL had done the trip with a group of seven and two cars. Sabyasachi Da was the lead know as XetaGLGRocks in Team-bhp. In my last road trip to Darjeeling Anirban KIL had introduced me to Sabyasachi da. Being horses of the same breed I was very excited to know about the adventure they had in their trip. Even Anirban KIL briefed us about the spooky road from Ranikhet to Kausani which they had covered in the middle of the night. I could feel a chill in the spine and being adventurous in natural I silently made up my mind to do Kumaon this vacation and somehow manage my wife in cancelling the Pelling plan. Even before I could tell anything to my wife she herself shared her interest in doing Kumaon Road Trip.

Vacation to Kumaon was finalized on the spot. Coming back to Asansol I shared my plan with my Mom and she instantly agreed and said that she wanted to be a part of the epic drive. Hats off to Mom as at her age she agreed to go for a drive to an unknown terrain 1600 kms away. Later on hearing that my Mom had agreed to go my Mother-in-law also jumped in.

So the team was finalized as My wife, My Mom, My Mother-in-law and I, as the solo driver. My Baby Figo was as usual ready for the trip.

Called HV Kumar Sir and Sabyasachi da and gathered further information about the route and then finalized on the itinerary.

29th May, 2014 the epic journey begins and as per advice I was going to do only day driving. The itinerary was as follows:

Day 1: 29th May; we leave for Allahabad from Asansol at 6:30 am and reach Allahabad at 4:00 pm.

Day 2: 30th May; we leave for Bareilly via Lucknow at 6:30 am and reach Bareilly at 5:00 pm.

Day 3: 31st May; Bareilly to Jim Corbett (Ramnagar)

Day 4: 1st June; Jim Corbett day visit and try our luck in booking Jungle Lodge as FCFS basis was to be implemented from 1st June to 15th June.

Day 5: 2nd June; Leave Ramnagar after Breakfast and reach Kausani by evening

Day 6: 3rd June; After sunrise drive to Munsiyari and stay there for 3 nights and relax

Day 7: 4th June; Enjoy in Munsiyari

Day 8: 5th June; Munsiyari to Birthi Falls and back

Day 9: 6th June; After Breakfat drive to Chaukori

Day 10: 7th June; Chaukori to Kathgodam via Nainital(day visit)

Day 11: 8th June; Kathgodam to Lucknow

Day 12: 9th June; Lucknow to Varanasi and see evening the Aarti

Day 13: 10th June; Offer Puja at Viswanath Mandir and leave of Asansol after Lunch.

The detailed route that we took will be shared in the TL later.

Day (-)5 : Got my Car serviced and checked thoroughly. Engine Oil, Oil filter, Air Filter was changed, Brake linings were checked and Brake Oil, Coolant and Power Steering Oil was topped up.

Day (-)4: Drove from Asansol to Kolkata to attend wedding ceremony of my Brother-in-law.

Day (-) 3: Spend in Kolkata and a small meeting with Anirban KIL about the trip.

Day (-) 2: Kolkata to Asansol. My Mom, wife and I packed our luggage and keeping in my mind that we had just one day in hand took rest and relaxed.

Day (-) 1: Went with my wife for some shopping then loaded our car with the luggage and arranged it in such a way that the Moms sitting on the rear seat donít have any luggage near their legs. Figo with 284 litres of Boot space swallowed the entire luggage including our Carís Mini Fridge. Tanked up my car in the evening and check the tyre pressures. Tyre Pressures were set to 31psi in all tyres.

Some pictures of our trip are as follows:
Attached Thumbnails
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-1a.jpg  

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-1.jpg  

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-2.jpg  

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-3.jpg  

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-4.jpg  

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-5.jpg  

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-6.jpg  

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-7.jpg  

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-8.jpg  

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-9.jpg  

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-10.jpg  

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-11.jpg  

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-12.jpg  

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-13.jpg  

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-14.jpg  

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-15.jpg  

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-16.jpg  

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-17.jpg  

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-18.jpg  

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-19.jpg  

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-20.jpg  

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-21.jpg  

lovecars21 is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 12:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park

Wow! This is truly an epic drive. What was the total distance you covered? Also, some narration with the pictures would be nice.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 12:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Competition.....

I wish you had captioned the photographs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecars21 View Post

Later on hearing that my Mom had agreed to go my Mother-in-law also jumped in.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 16:06   #4
BHPian

WOW, great start.
We would love to hear more about the route, road conditions and everything else.

I hope the above pictures would be repeated in their daily sequence and with proper details.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 20:44   #5
BHPian

Smile Re: Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Wow! This is truly an epic drive. What was the total distance you covered? Also, some narration with the pictures would be nice.
Thanks. The total distance covered was 3279 kms from Asansol and back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Competition.....

I wish you had captioned the photographs...
I will post in details the experience we had for each day with pictures in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
WOW, great start.
We would love to hear more about the route, road conditions and everything else.

I hope the above pictures would be repeated in their daily sequence and with proper details.
Yes, these pictures were just trailer of what's next to come, I will post all the details in a few day.
lovecars21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2014, 11:38   #6
BHPian

Great Start. Waiting eagerly for your TL.
Shantanu Sarkar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 22:36   #7
BHPian

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-route-map-asansol-allahabad.jpg
Day 1: 29th June: Somehow I managed to sleep in the night. By 6:00 am everyone was ready and without further delay we hopped into the car. By 6:30 am we reached Ma Ghagurburi Mandir near Asansol Bypass and offered our Pujas. Then we drove off for our first halt at Topchachi for breakfast. The drive was excellent as early morning traffic was low and NH2 was at its best.
We reached Topchanchi 80 kms from Asansol at 7:30 am and ordered our Breakfast at Shaan-e-Punjab Dhaba(RHS of the Highway). After having Alu ka paratha and dahi we moved forward for our next halt for Lunch at Reliance Family Restaurant near Mohania.

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-attopchachibreakfastphot.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-attopchachibreakfastphot.jpg

We reached Mohania at 12:00 pm and had our lunch. The temperature outside was 42 deg C and Figoís AC did not let was feel the heat. The inside Temperature was 20 deg C. An Indoor outdoor thermometer helped me monitor the temperatures. Topchanchi to Mohania a distance of 314 kms was covered in 5 hours.
After having lunch we drove straight to Allahabad bypassing Varanasi and reached there at 2:30 pm. As per our itinerary we were an hour and a half before schedule hence drove directly to Tribeni. Three rivers with different colours are said to meet here at Sangam; Yamuna, Ganga and Saraswati. We spent a good hour at Tribeni and had a boat ride.

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0117.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0120.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0121.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0134.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0143.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0147.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-img_0497.jpg

At around 4 pm we check in at Hotel Ankur. The hotel was booked online through MMT and was the worst of the lot. Somehow we managed to spend the night and early morning we check out at 7:00 am for Bareilly.
lovecars21 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 23:15   #8
BHPian

Day 2: 30th May; There was bit confusion about the route to take from Allahabad to Lucknow. Suggested routes were Allahabad to Sultanpur and then turn left to take the route via Musafirkhana and Haidargarh.
Name:  Allahabad to Lucknow Route 1.jpg
Views: 6785
Size:  192.7 KB
The other suggested route was to take the NH 28 before Faizabad and reach Lucknow via Barabanki.
Name:  Allahabad to Lucknow Route 2.jpg
Views: 4445
Size:  184.9 KB

After checking with locals at Pratapgarh we finalized on the route via Musafirkhana.

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-img_0499.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-img_0500.jpg
Had our Breakfast at Hotel Siddharth in Pratapgarh.

The roads were good and but the bikers were horrifying. Had to carefully drive through small towns and finally reached Lucknow at 2:00 pm and had a sumptuous Mutton Biriyani at Food Paradise Restaurant beside Ring Road in Kalyanpur(East). The food was excellent.

Name:  Bypass Lucknow.jpg
Views: 4572
Size:  102.5 KB
Picture shows the best way to bypass Lucknow City.

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-img_0503.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-img_0504.jpg
Pictures taken in Lucknow at Food Paradise Restaurant:

After lunch we drove all the way to Bareilly via Sitapur and Shahjahanpur. This route was suggested by HV Kumar. The road till Sitapur was excellent but as soon as we crossed Sitapur the road condition deteriorated. There were caters everywhere. It took us 4 hours to reach Bareilly from Sitapur a distance of 186 kms.
Name:  Route from Lucknow to Bareilly.jpg
Views: 8953
Size:  164.4 KB

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-img_0506.jpg
Tea break at Hotel Pathik, Shahjahanpur .
We reached Bareilly at 8:00 pm and check in at Rohila Tourist Bungalow under UP Tourism. We had booked two AC double bed rooms through their website. The service was good but the issue was load shedding. Every two hours there was load shedding for an hour and the genset they had could not run the ACs. Somehow we spend the night and moved forward to Ramnagar the next day.

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-img_0508.jpg
At dinner table, Rohila Tourist Bungalow

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-img_0509.jpg
View from our balcony.
Old 26th June 2014, 23:29   #9
BHPian

Day 3: 31st May; We left from Bareilly at 7:00 am. It was a sunny hot day and we had to drive approx. 160 kms to Ramnagar. The reason for leaving Bareilly early was to reach Ramnagar and enquire about Jim Corbett NP Forest Rest House booking. We had already booked 2 nights at KMVN, Ramnagar but wanted to try our luck in staying within the forest. KMVN, Ramnagar was booked online through their website but FRH within Jim Corbett could not be booked online as from 1st June to 15th June the booking was to be done on first come first serve basis.
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-bareilly-ramnagar.jpg
Route map from Bareilly to Ramnagar

Just after crossing Izzatnagar Railway Station the roads deteriorated. Four Lane highway was under construction leaving no roads for driving. Nainital Road from Bareilly could be in such a bad condition was beyond my expectation.

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-img_0514.jpg
We stopped by a road side dhaba near Mohammedpur Jatan for breakfast. Had a quick word with the owner of the dhaba about the road condition till Kichha but to our disappointment he said the road will get worse beyond Baheri. He said since the last 5 years the road is like this and itís getting worse.

Reached Baheri at 10:15 am and stop my car. Knowing what is to come next I got down from my car and stretched my legs and had a can of Red Bull. Checked the Trip meter and found that we had travelled only 46 kms in 3 hours. Ignition On and I drive, lets see how bad it can be!
The road started to disappear. Could not see anything beyond my windscreen as there was so much dust due to the trucks and trekkers who didnít even bother to save their vehicles from potholes. Sorry potholes are a better term for them, they were dry ponds!

Figo somehow managed to reach Kichha without scrapping the underbody. I was a bit apprehensive as I had never driven a hatch back through such a bad road. Figo did well with 4 passengers and a boot full of luggage. Previously the worst road I had driven was between Raiganj and Dalkhola in December 2013. Now Bareilly to Kichha gets that tag.

Took the bypass of Kichha and turned left at Kishanpur and got on NH 74. Road conditions improved a bit. Just before reaching Rudrapur we took the bypass expecting it to be having less traffic. To our nightmare the road seemed to have more traffic and public than in any market place. Had to drive like a snail till till we got back on NH 74. Reached Bazpur at 12:00 pm and took the right to get on Nainital Road. At Kotabag Choraha took the left turn to Ramnagar. Road after Bazpur was excellent with newly laid tar. We reached Ramnagar at 01:00 pm.

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-img_0517.jpg
My Wife at Ramnagar
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-img_0519.jpg
Me the planner and executer
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0161.jpg
Mom and MIL at KMVN, Ramnagar

Checked in at KMVN, Ramnagar and ordered our lunch. After having lunch my Mom and MIL took rest in a well-furnished four bed AC room while my wife and I went to Jim Corbett FRH booking centre. Enquired about the booking procedure and to our utter surprise they said that we can get a booking tomorrow but for that we have to stand in the queue at 4:00 am. The office would open at 8:00 am and then we can get the booking as it was first day of the month. This was a tough call!

Went back to our room and discussed the same with our Moms. They said that they will go and stand in the queue at 4:00 am. Seeing their interest I was surprised. They were ready to sacrifice a dayís booking at KMVN to stay in a FRH.

At around 4:00 pm we drove out to explore Jim Corbett Sitabani section where one can drive their own vehicles.
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0170.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0173.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0175.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0179.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0187.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0190.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0191.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0193.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0204.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0299.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0311.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0194.jpg

Enjoyed the whole evening in Sitabani Forest and drove back to Ramnagar at 7:00pm. After having an early dinner we all got back to bed keeping in mind that we had to wake up at 3:30 am.
Old 27th June 2014, 00:24   #10
BHPian

Day 4: 1st June; Woke up at 4:00 am and immediately without further delay went to stand in the queue with my mom. There were already 10 guys ahead of me, may be they stayed here all night!

After standing for half an hour I could feel natureís call. Asked my Mom to stand in my place while I got back to our room and answered the call and brushed my teeth. Went back to the booking centre and told my Mom to get fresh. After an hour all my team members joined in. By 8:00 am there where around 30 guys after me.

The office opened at 8:15 am and within 30 mins I was in the counter. The person in the counter was very helpful. He checked and discussed all the available options. Dhikala was already booked and he gave us options of staying in Sultan, Birjani or Jhirna. He said that Sultan would be near Dhikala and there were only two rooms in the FRH with no electricity and no canteen. As we wanted to enjoy our stay without any disturbance we chose Sultan. One can feel and enjoy a Jungle only if one can isolate themselves from humanity.

We all were more than happy to get our bookings done. They charged us around 4k for the whole of FRH including our permits for one night. The FRH had 2 bed rooms, 1 dining, 2 bath rooms, 1 kitchen and a beautiful portico.
Satisfied with our achievement went back to our room and rested for an hour. After having a buffet breakfast went to the nearby market to buy packets of Maggi and Soup. At around 11:00 am the gypsy arrived at KMVN.

The gypsy was arranged by KMVN for 4k and included unlimited safari in Dhikala zone and to and fro from Sultan. We left our luggage in our room and took only the essential things along with us.

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0593.jpg
Dhangari Gate

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0588.jpg

We entered Dhikala zone from Dhangari gate. Security was high and after checking all documents they gave us a sack for which I had to pay 50 bucks. All plastics and waste had to be kept in the sack.

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0237.jpg
Sultan FRH welcomed us with sighting of deers grazing just a few feet from the FRH Portico.

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0563.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0544.jpg

The Ranger provided us with a cook and we asked him to make some maggi for us while we walked around the FRH. After lunch we went to Dhikala through dense forest. The gypsy driver was an ex-canter driver with 20 years of experience. He drove us through some isolated roads where the 4x4ís real power was tested.

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0231.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0244.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0270.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0252.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0254.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0241.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0246.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0322.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0245.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0312.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0335.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0336.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0332.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0341.jpg

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-satalite-image-dhikala-grass-land.jpg
Satellite Image from Google Maps of Dhikala grassland

Reached Dhikala and what we saw was beyond words. Let the pictures speak.

Coming up in the next post
Old 28th June 2014, 18:25   #11
v&v
Senior - BHPian

lovecars21 , Nice start and some great photos. I too did a Kumaon trip last week covering Gangolihat, Patal Bhuvaneshwar, Chaukori, Bagheswar , Baijnath, Dinapani(near Almora).

Howcome you didnt visit Patal Bhuvaneshwar ? it was about 25 kms from Chaukori.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 22:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Howcome you didnt visit Patal Bhuvaneshwar ? it was about 25 kms from Chaukori.

Thanks.
We had not included Patal Bhuvaneshwar in our itinerary when we had planned the trip but when we wished to include it while in Chaukori, time did not permit us.
I would love to see some photos which you had taken at PB.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
lovecars21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 21:19   #13
BHPian

Check the Pictures of Dhikala grassland
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0363.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0378.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0385.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0392.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0404.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0458.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0395.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0432.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0443.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0410.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0463.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0397.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0433.jpg

After enjoying the grass land of Dhikala we went to the Dhikala FRH canteen for a cup of tea and took some pictures.

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0480.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0483.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0474.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0494.jpg

Reached our Sultan FRH at 7:00 pm. By then it was dark, we were provided with solar lamps. After getting fresh we all sat in the portico and enjoyed. After having dinner we went back to our rooms. Just when we were going to bed my wife shouted! Something had moved under her leg. Checked and found it was a centipede. Threw it outside and checked our room and bed thoroughly to find a huge spider near the wash basin of the bathroom.
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0574.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0573.jpg
We decided to light a candle and turn by turn change the candle to maintain some light all night. After an hour the spider came to the room and moved around in the room. My sleep just vanished!
Midnight struck and the door to our room started making creaking noise and opened automatically. There was no breeze. I checked the surrounding with a torch to find no one. The clock ticked once and I could feel a chill in the spine!
After few minutes I heard a sound of dry leaves being crushed by some gigantic legs. My Mom and MIL came to our room and whispered to us to take the torch and sit in the portico. By then I was cold; what was next to come!
Sat in the portico and under the moon light could see some huge elephants moving around in the compound. I could not take pictures as I didnít want to disturb them.
My MIL who had experience of staying in core forest in Simlipal whispered that as there are elephants around so tigers would generally not invade. I donít remember when we went back to our roomsí and slept.

Some more pictures of the day..
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0186.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0284.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0286.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0323.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0535.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0536.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0569.jpg
lovecars21 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 22:16   #14
BHPian

Day 5: 2nd June. The day started off with a morning walk in the compound of Sultan with a beautiful few of Sunrise from behind the woods.
After having a tea we checked out from Sultan keeping in mind that we had to return back to KMVN Ramnagar to take our luggage and drive upto Kausani.
Reached KMVN Ramnagar at 09:00 am and had a buffet breakfast. We went back to our room and got fresh. Checked out from KMVN at 10:00 am and drove straight to Ranikhet.
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-route-map-ramnagar-kausani.jpg
Route Map from Ramnagar to Kausani

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0606.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0607.jpg
The road was good with some bad patches. After Ranikhet the main road goes via Almora.
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0611.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0614.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0619.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0625.jpg
We had our lunch at Pine View Restaurant just after Ranikhet.

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0628.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0629.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0635.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0639.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0643.jpg

As we wanted to experience the Jungle road which Anirban KIL had shared we went straight via Khori and Kesta.

The Jungle was dense with no human existence. We found few animal skulls beside the road and few trees seemed to have been twisted by some supernatural power. My Mother and MIL were having a sound sleep while my wife and I was having a lifetime experience. Touchwood we did not have any break down in the road as there was no one to help in miles. At one place I got down to check the road ahead.
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-img_0558.jpg

There was a chill breeze which reminded me of how Anirban KIL and his team had drove through this road at 2 in the night. Hats off to them!
It took us 1.5 hours to drive through the jungle and we reached the main road near Sakar. After that the drive was uneventful and we reached Kausani at 4:00pm. Checked in at KMVN Trishul.
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0649.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0713.jpg
The person in the reception was surprised to see a WB car and gave us a special welcome and allowed us to park the car near the entrance.

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0712.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0714.jpg

When we shared our experience of the Jungle road he said that locals donít travel through that road as it is said to be haunted and inhabited with leopards.
After quick refreshment we went out for a walk in the woods to view the sunset. The temperature was around 12 deg C. The location was good and the best part was the food of KMVN.
We enjoyed the whole evening in there garden and as night fell the temperature dropped down to 5 deg C. The day ended with me clicking pictures of the moon and a glittering nearby town.
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0659.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0665.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0711.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0681.jpg
Sunset at Kausani, Uttarkhand

Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0745.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0746.jpg
Kumaon roadtrip from Asansol (WB), via Jim Corbett National Park-dsc_0748.jpg
View of a nearby Village from KMVN, Kausani
lovecars21 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2014, 13:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Lovely travelogue. Rated 5 stars. Please complete it :-)
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote