Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 9th July 2014, 01:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode

Day 17 - Drive back to Kargil from Tso Moriri

As mentioned earlier, there was a change of plan, necessitated by the fact that the Manali-Leh Highway was yet to open to normal traffic. So instead of the Manali route, we will have to drive back via the longer Kashmir route. To add to that, Marengo was nearing its 90k milestone service, which had to be accommodated at Srinagar (earlier this was being planned at Manali). So on this day, we planned to drive all the way back to Kargil, so that the next day, we can utilise the opportunity, to start early morning for crossing ZojiLa.

Our plan was to start at 6:30am after breakfast at the Tso Moriri Camp. But on trying to start Marengo, it would crank but not fire. Some local drivers asked to keep the bonnet up, to let the sunlight in, to heat up the fuel lines, although I knew this would be useless, did that and went for breakfast. Came back and tried to start, the same result. Intended to prime the manual pump, for which I had to loosen the air-screw with a Number 10 spanner, but looking at the tool bag, the only spanner that was missing was the no. 10. One of those times one feels like banging the head on the wall, when I know, I have not one, but two no 10 spanners usually. The same spanner is used to adjust the distributor on the 1100D (Back home) and that's where they are probably having a great time! Thankfully, one of the taxi fellows had a round no.10 which helped. The priming and the subsequent cranking brought Marengo back to life.

So at 7am it was time to start the journey back.

As we head northward from Karzok, one last view of the fabulous Tso Moriri

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_1879.jpg

Marengo the horse, poses with his kind, a wild one.

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_1880.jpg

The welcome gate for Karzok is, however, all the way up (67 kms ahead), near Mahe.
Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_1885.jpg

The section between Mahe and Chumathang,
Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_1886.jpg

With a road like this, one would just feel like driving all day!

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_4095.jpg

The scenery changes a bit after Chumathang, the colours reduce, but the beauty remains

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_4097.jpg

By almost about 1pm we were at Leh, with a little bit of time being wasted to withdraw some cash from an ATM (Had to try 3 different ones before we could get our hands on some cash)

Soon we were galloping on towards Lamayuru, with a fabulous blue Indus river keeping us company

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_4102.jpg

Marengo wishes goodbye to the Moon Land just before Lamayuru

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_1890.jpg

We made a stop at Lamayuru for exploring the Monastery

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_1892.jpg

Some trivia on the ancient Lamayuru Monastery

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_1894.jpg

Prayer wheel at the entrance to Lamayuru

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_1896.jpg

The picuresque hills on the drive upto FotuLa, note the diverse colours of the hills.

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_4109.jpg

The Last section between Namika-La and Kargil for the day

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_4114.jpg

We probably reached Kargil by 5:30pm. Checked into ZojiLa residency. On Checking in, they told us that we will probably have to start before 4am, they are keeping a watch on the Zojila situation and will wake us up accordingly. But the service at Zojila wasn't upto the mark this time, probably due to sudden arrival of two big groups.

As we went to sleep, the thoughts kept ringing in the head that, this is the last night in Ladakh, so essentially the long desired trip is over! We still had a few days of drive ahead of us though (before we reached back home)

Day 18 - Drive to Srinagar

Woke up at 3 am and first thing to do, was to ensure that Marengo did not repeat the mischief it created the previous morning. Thankfully it started up first crank. Went back to the hotel, got ready, got the luggage down to start at 4am.

Unlike on our drive up, the drive down featured stalled traffic on the opposite side (As traffic was now being allowed on either side on the same day), besides, there was a lot of water on the road. The number of trucks too had increased substantially.

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_4121.jpg

The snow wall in passing through ZojiLa. However, isn't immediately apparent from the picture, but the snow was a lot darker with accumulated pollution deposits, unlike the previous time, just a few days back, when it was "snow white".

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_4127.jpg

We also knew that we were saying a silent goodbye to Ladakh at this point, with a very heavy heart, after all the amazing scenery it had shown to us in the last few days.

Long queue of trucks moving slowly, we must have overtaken hundreds of trucks but still, at some points, it was all stand still.

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_4134.jpg

The trucks have to slow down, the problem is that on the switchbacks, these guys have to make such calculated tight turns, that it takes time.
Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_4137.jpg

The truck seen above, had to start from the right side of the road, grazing the left side on the apex and before completing the turn (the position in the pic), inches inside the drop. Its even more spectacular for the longer trucks. Increases respect for these guys.

We reached Sonamarg by 7:15am. Had a good breakfast at one of the better shops at the Market area

Starting from Sonamarg we noticed that the river had swollen substantially and the force of the water was super strong compared to the slow steady stream we saw on the way up. Probably result of the fast melt of the recent snowfall a few weeks back.

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_41441.jpg

The water was very close up to this bridge.

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_4145.jpg

By about 11am we were beside the Dal Lake in Srinagar, we checked into Hotel Zamarud, into a nice room overlooking the lake.

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_41541.jpg

We would have to get Marengo serviced here as we were perilously close to the 90k milestone, we would definitely overshoot it by the time we reach Chandigarh. However the Day 18 was a Sunday, so it will only be the next day, that we could access the workshop. Besides, if we have to stop for two nights, Srinagar would be the preferred location anyday over Jammu or Chandigarh (Patnitop did not have a Mahindra workshop!)

So the Day 18 was brought to a close, exploring shops, food and Kashmiri Wazwan. More of that when we cover the Kashmir part later.

Day 19 - Long Mahindra Service at Srinagar

If there was a day wasted in the entire trip, it was here. A simple 90k service, that required only checkup of essential points and replacement of the front and rear differential oil took unusually long and in the end it was just a frustrating effort to get Marengo out. Billing itself took 3 iterations and almost an hour. All this, after I had scheduled an appointment the previous afternoon. The Manager, the Mechanics, the billing team and almost everyone else were operating in different silos and absolutely no regard for the customers time or situation and yes I was offerred tea and a good lounge to sit in!

The service part took the entire portion of the day. The delay forced us to cancel a plan, that I was making the previous evening, to drive down to Patnitop for the night. To wake up beside the Golf course there, before starting for Chandigarh the next day.

So we explored some more shops and some more food and closed the day.

The next day we would start early and head towards Chandigarh.

Last edited by 1100D : 11th July 2014 at 00:18.
1100D is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 23:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Day 20 The Drive Downhill

We started at around 6:30am. After the ordeal on the way up on the same route, expected a smoother drive down. We did face a traffic hold-up of more than an hour and half at Banihal on the way up, hopefully it won't be as bad on the way down, so were anticipating a 14 hr drive.

But the 180 (or so) kms to Patnitop itself, took 6 hours without any major holdup anywhere. There were too many convoys of army vehicles on the entire route that slowed progress.

We still took the opportunity to drive upto the Golf course at Patnitop and have lunch at the JKTDC there.

Proceeding from Patnitop, the drive was smooth till Udhampur and to Manesar lake on the Samba byepass. From Manesar it was, as expected, rough till Samba. We reached Pathankot around 5pm and from there to Chandigarh by 9:30pm. So it was the Srinagar-Patnitop section which slowed us down, the rest of the distance of around 405kms took around 7.5 hrs of drivetime, including some real bad patches between Manesar and Samba.

So our hill part of the vacation was also over. The thought lingered all through the day and none of us were in very high spirits. But we were quite unanimous in cursing mandate for attendance on the School reopening day!

Day 21 - Drive to Agra

On this day, I wasn't feeling too well, to be able to repeat the same 950km feat as the Day 2 of this trip. Besides, the little one was a little unhappy about having missed the Manali part of the plan. She actually hates change of plans. So we decided to add an additional day to the, otherwise, clockwork tour plan, at Agra. The Taj Mahal would be a compensation to her for having missed Manali.

It was an effortless drive to Delhi and beyond. We hit the Yamuna expressway and its constant 100kmph limit allowed us to set the cruise at that speed and wait.

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_4276.jpg

We were having a constant over-pressure warning on the tyres. We stopped at one of the rest stops. The moment we stepped out of Marengo, we realised the furnace the weather was in. It was scorching hot to the highest degree we have encountered. After freshening up and reducing tyre pressure, we started again for Agra.

It is here that, out of nowhere, an unnecessary loss occurred. On reaching Agra, for some reason, I wanted to get the tyre pressures rechecked at a roadside tyrewala. I had seen too many skid marks that looked like tyre related accidents, a few cars with flat tyres parked on the side of the Yamuna express highway, so was just wanting to recheck the pressures, just to be safe, although the tyretronics were not indicating an anomaly. The pressure in all checked out fine and we started on our way to Fatehpur Sikri.

After a few kms of driving, I was noticing a slight left pull, which I first ignored, thinking it to be a road-slope pull. Then I saw a few bikers looking at the front left tyre rather curiously and the pull was tending to increase. So stopped at the next opportunity after entering the service lane on the left, by that time, it was all over.

The front left Maxxis Bravo 771 that, with the other three, had braved the entire trip and many trips before this through absolute horrible terrain was not only flat at this point but the sidewall had cracked on running this distance underinflated.

I recalled, that the same tyre had a sticky valve, that would stay open, even after the inflator would be removed, would close after a little pushing externally. It happened about two times earlier, but even I forgot about it. The tyrewala might not have noticed upon withdrawing his pressure gauge that the valve was still running air out.

It was a bad loss, given that I have had no tyre trouble on the entire trip thus far, that too, I was travelling on 40k+ tyres, not exactly new. There was a tyre shop nearby, we only got a Ceat Czar of the standard size as a replacement, a straight setback by around 7.8k. A loss completely due to negligence and callousness.

The rest of the day and the early part of the next is covered in a few posts above, so would not dwelve on it further.

Day 22 - Drive to Allahabad.

After the first half of the day being spent sightseeing at Agra, the rest of the day was spent driving to Allahabad. It was an uneventful drive. This time though, we avoided driving 50kms on the double lane road leading to Allahabad. Instead, we took the Allahabad byepass, drove for 24kms and took the exit from there towards Allahabad town. We reached the center of town to Hotel Harsh Anand relatively smoother.

The hotel Harsh Ananda is a heritage building and had a comfortable evening there, the last night of this trip.

Day 23 -Drive back home - Story Over!

We started from Harsh Ananda, but since the destination for the night was home, we were not in a hurry to meet any check-in time restrictions.

So, while we were driving out of Allahabad the moment we saw directions to the "sangam", we drove to where those signs lead us. In the end it was loose sand in stretches.

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_2023.jpg

Seen here, Marengo with the Triveni Sangam, the place seen on the left of Marengo, where you see a collection of boats is where the "Sangam" or confluence of the rivers Ganges and Yamuna is taking place.

One last Pic of Marengo, while still being on the trip, at Sangam in Allahabad.

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_2032.jpg

The rest of the drive was also uneventful, apart from the fact that again the last 200km in Bengal was super slow. Not surprising that driving into the state, while we were looking for Welcome signs, instead, we saw 4-5 Slow-down signs in quick succession. Just for the records the last 200kms took around 5 hours with Jams at multiple points and an unnecessary altercation on acceptance of a slightly torn Rs10 note at the very last toll tax on the entire trip (Dankuni Toll Plaza). We reached home at 9:30pm.

Marengo at home being greeted by the 1100D on a successful and super achievement. (Shot next day)
Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_2047.jpg

Marengo rests with dust acquired over an effortless 7825km door to door escapade to one of the harshest terrains in the world, capturing highest motorable passes/roads, snow and what not. Quite an achievement considering that Marengo, at over 90,000kms is not exactly a new horse!

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_2044.jpg

But lets hope that Marengo, as this horse, will continue to Gallop on!

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_1881.jpg

Thanks friends for reading this and being with me on this journey

Last edited by 1100D : 11th July 2014 at 01:03.
1100D is offline   (30) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 14:18   #18
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing.
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 15:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Aweome narration, in fact just the right amount without OVER-BORING commentary written down and the photos are simply breath-taking. Just complete this TL with a CLEAN pic of Marengo NOW.
I downloaded the pic of dog (whom you dared to disturb from his smelling exercise) for my phone wallpaper.

Raab rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 17:16   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow Anirban! What a log

Few things -

How different are the mountains compared to North East? Okay, let me frame the question again, What differences did you find between North East & this? How about driving conditions/traffic etc?

Can you say the TPMS was faulty as it did not show the low air pressure?

Was the car not washed in the Mahindra's service center? (Though am glad, it looks way beautiful that way)

You think an AWD vehicle too can tackle the places you went to while not being adventurous? (Like the sand episode)

And thanks for sharing this magnificent travelogue 5 *****
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 22:03   #21
BHPian

Wow! Started reading around 4pm from my mobile Team Bhp app at my work place and finished reading just now from our home PC! This travelogue kept me busy for full 6 hours with intermittent work! I can get an idea very well how much time you devoted to compile this beautifully composed write up with some picture perfect pictures! I was waiting for this travelogue from the day you posted a pic of Marengo in Facebook with few essentials loaded. That was well before you started the trip! There is a saying that good things do not come up easily! Similarly i had to wait for it from around 15th may to 11th July!

The very first paragraph gave a glimpse of whats coming up next! Its like you paid all the expenses and i traveled Kolkata to Ladakh and back free of cost! Coming from the past one year i must say you have mastered the art of photography really really well.

Lastly what ever i may try to write, it wont be enough to justify this travelogue. Its way better than what my writing skill can justify. I was planning to get Leh'd next year from Kolkata and after this it seems next year is a decade away! But still i have no other option's open rather than to wait for 2015 August to arrive! Hope to get Leh'd by next year.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2014, 00:22   #22
BHPian

What a trip!
These Leh-Ladakh trips are inspiring me so much now. I got so many chills down my spine by just looking at the pictures on my laptop, imagining myself and my Scorpio in those very places

A very well drafted TL. Enjoyed going through it for the past couple of hours

A couple of questions w.r.t the car:

1. What were the precautions taken to ensure the reliability of the car before starting off?
2. Did you carry out any specific modifications for this particular trip?
3. Which brand are the cross-bars?
97_Octane is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2014, 01:15   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, you managed to take more pictures than 17 of us could in our recent Ladakh trip. Great pictures and narration. Thanks for the video of Marengo opposite to Magnetic hill, and I could not resist saying that it was Marengo's track that Red Rackham (Pajero) and White Tusker (Bolero) managed to cross :-D But I must also say that while Red Rackham did it effortlessly, the same cannot be said about the White Tusker, but that might be due to incompetence of the driver.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2014, 12:08   #24
BHPian

Amazing !!

Though few days after you, our itinerary also almost matched yours difference being 4WD routes like Marismik La (like you, we also skipped Kyun Tso route & also Wari La)

Your feat is amazing as you went with family alone (without any other car in the group) and to all those places like Marismik La/Parkachik/Rangdum/Pensi La/Chushul/Hanle (read lonely & challenging routes). We also didn't have any other car with us but then we didn't have a family to tow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post

However, the GPS took us right into the heart of Chusul, where we encountered a police post. The policeman on duty told us that if we have to go to Hanle, the route that we are on, the Army is sure to stop us (despite the permits). However, he suggested an alternate way through the valley, for which we have to trace back the direction we came from and then take a right turn at a fork (from which we had earlier taken a right and made it into the Chusul town) which will take us down into the valley.

If we follow the valley route, we will byepass the Army post which is on the hill-side track. We did just that and soon we were driving on an infinite open field in front of us, contained by hills on both sides. With tyre-marks going everywhere. Additionally, we were warned not to stray on any of the tyre tracks that turn left, especially the ones that get into the hills on the left side, they can potentially lead into the territory of the neighboring country and they are not kind to civilian infiltration from India.
We also had some difficulty in passing thro' Chushul, but ultimately managed to find our way thro' the other route. But somehow, I feel our other route seems different than yours as we didn't encounter a Police post (or we may have missed it). We went right thro' the village

Quote:

Our accomodation for the night was at Sonam Dorjee's homestay arranged by HVK. We were taken aback by their hospitality despite the hardships they face.

Seen here Anoushka with Mrs Dorjee.
We stayed at this very same place. Nice people - Sonam & his wife.

Quote:
We reached Hanle in the previous post, but we were yet to explore around it. At first, it did not look like there was a lot to see, given the size of the town being hardly anything. So after a lunch, we, alongwith Mr Sonam, started on our sightseeing tour of Hanle.
Amazing that you reached Hanle so early that you could have lunch there!
What time did you leave from Pangong?

We could reach Hanle only at 5.30 - 6 pm. But then we lost almost 45 minutes at Chushul in overcoming the "difficulty" & figuring out the alternate route ahead and then lost another 30 minutes in tying up the loose sump guard.
TheIndian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2014, 20:03   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode

Elaborate and deserving write-up to a very well-planned & well-executed trip. My 5* to the thread.
Quote:
The hill adjacent to this point has a Magnetic Hill logo and of interest to us bhpians, is the fact that, Tsk1979 has made it customary to see how one fares against the slope.
Hmmm... did I hear your wife's considered opinion in the video, about that adventurous streak in her husband, and what possible outcome(s) that might have on Marengo?
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 11:52   #26
BHPian

Quote:
The Holiday camp at Turtuk
Attachment 1257689
Great thread Anirban. 5 starred. Lot of useful information as I prepare for my October trip, and lot of questions. Here's one: Did you pre-book the tent at Turtuk or walked in and found a place? Whats the chance of finding accomodation in mid-Oct without a pre-booking there?
OK, two questions.
But I have lots more when we meet.
mr.sinha is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2014, 21:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Aweome narration, in fact just the right amount without OVER-BORING commentary written down and the photos are simply breath-taking. Just complete this TL with a CLEAN pic of Marengo NOW.
I downloaded the pic of dog (whom you dared to disturb from his smelling exercise) for my phone wallpaper.

Raab rakha.
Thanks ariesonu. Here is a pic of Marengo right after wash, though its all shiny, missed the "Ladakh dust" thats "oh-so-difficult" to obtain and accumulate!

Marengo conquers the Marsimik La - The Ladakh episode-img_2191.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Wow Anirban! What a log

Few things -

How different are the mountains compared to North East? Okay, let me frame the question again, What differences did you find between North East & this? How about driving conditions/traffic etc?
Lot of difference, Sheel!

Comparing them would be like comparing Apples with Oranges. Ladakh, as I saw, was different from anything I had seen before, its beauty very difficult to explain, but, even there, if I made the mistake of seeing pictures from N-Bengal or Sikkim, I would instantly miss them. While on one, you enjoy the solitude, the barrenness, the harshness and still see the amazing hills and skies, on the other, its pine forests, sounds of "life", misty cold evenings in grazing clouds and ofcourse fabulous Nepali Music and food.

To the driving part, I must say parts of Sikkim/North Bengal offers more of a challenge due to the narrowness and steepness at points with only "Jeep-able" tracks to get you to them. In contrast, places in Ladakh, barring just a handful, are connected by wide roads/tracks on which you can probably maintain much higher speeds. The reason for that, entirely through Ladakh region, you find full-size trucks (even at Khardungla Top) and due to the Army presence at various locations, they have made the locations easier to access, unlike Sikkim and NB. So in all, if I were to look for a destination with "driving challenge" NB/Sikkim would offer many points which can satisfy me.

Quote:
Can you say the TPMS was faulty as it did not show the low air pressure?

Was the car not washed in the Mahindra's service center? (Though am glad, it looks way beautiful that way)
Actually, I overlooked the warning. Infact the moment I was crossing Delhi (Oblivious to us seated in the AC cabin of Marengo, that day had one of the highest recorded temperature in Delhi at around 47 degrees), I had high pressure warning on all 4 tyres. The warning returned after 5 mins of driving, after reducing about 4 psi from each tyre. I actually thought TPMS to be faulty at this point, and was probably distrusting my tyre inflator gauge too. Hence wanted to double check at the tyrewala. The pressure turned out to be same as what I set them last time. Hence after moving from there, when the TPMS warned me, I did not look at the display, that this was indicating a different condition, assumed it to be the over pressure warning due to the high temperature, turned off the beep. I was mostly irritated and hence engrossed about going to Fatehpur Sikri, so was mostly wanting to get it done away with as soon as possible, with nothing else that my brain was allowing me to think of!

If only they had different beeps for over pressure and under pressure, this would have been avoided.

The car wash was skipped at Mahindra service in Srinagar on orders from my daughter, she wanted the "art" to remain till home! Only underbody was hosed off.

Quote:
You think an AWD vehicle too can tackle the places you went to while not being adventurous? (Like the sand episode)

And thanks for sharing this magnificent travelogue 5 *****
I guess, easily. Apart from the last 200 meter climb to Marsimik-La, you will not miss the low-ratio anywhere. But alter tyre pressure appropriately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Wow! Started reading around 4pm from my mobile Team Bhp app at my work place and finished reading just now from our home PC! This travelogue kept me busy for full 6 hours with intermittent work! I can get an idea very well how much time you devoted to compile this beautifully composed write up with some picture perfect pictures! I was waiting for this travelogue from the day you posted a pic of Marengo in Facebook with few essentials loaded. That was well before you started the trip! There is a saying that good things do not come up easily! Similarly i had to wait for it from around 15th may to 11th July!
Thank you Samba. All the other folks who genuinely liked this travelogue should actually thank you, amongst a handful others, for making me type this down. Otherwise, I thought, I was already done with my last travelogue. Besides, there are so many interesting travel stories that crop up in t-bhp these days, one feels a little guilty in hogging the bandwidth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Coming from the past one year i must say you have mastered the art of photography really really well.
Some recent TL's, including the one's from you, provide a nice benchmark to aspire to. As you know, from our interactions elsewhere, it's a learning phase. A transition from easy and convenient point and shoot, lets see!

By the way, not sure if you got a chance to go through the TL below, it was years back, but again on point and shoot.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...on-4-days.html (2400 Mile Adventure in Arizona (involving Grand Canyon) in 4 days)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
What a trip!
These Leh-Ladakh trips are inspiring me so much now. I got so many chills down my spine by just looking at the pictures on my laptop, imagining myself and my Scorpio in those very places

A very well drafted TL. Enjoyed going through it for the past couple of hours

A couple of questions w.r.t the car:

1. What were the precautions taken to ensure the reliability of the car before starting off?
2. Did you carry out any specific modifications for this particular trip?
3. Which brand are the cross-bars?
Thanks 97_Octane!

No modifications were made to Marengo for this particular trip. However, since Marengo is still under extended warranty, I had taken it for the 85k milestone service around 1200kms before it, so that, I get a good 6200kms of drive duration in between.

During that service, I had gotten the suspension opened and checked for weak spots, a few bushes upfront and rear. The rear drums were opened, inspected and cleaned as I knew that Marengo will have to endure many water crossings.

Apart from all that, I had asked for getting the notorious clutch slave cylinder opened and checked with the GB taken off. Though it checked out fine, my workshop still went ahead and replaced it FOC. For Scorpio mHawk's this item should not probably be missed.

Another thing is that, the tyres were quite worn out after 40k of driving on them, on varied and harsh terrain. But it was a conscious decision not to change the tyres at this point, mainly from cost perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Wow, you managed to take more pictures than 17 of us could in our recent Ladakh trip. Great pictures and narration. Thanks for the video of Marengo opposite to Magnetic hill, and I could not resist saying that it was Marengo's track that Red Rackham (Pajero) and White Tusker (Bolero) managed to cross :-D But I must also say that while Red Rackham did it effortlessly, the same cannot be said about the White Tusker, but that might be due to incompetence of the driver.

Kudos Mighty Offroaders!

Good to know that a single, casual, half-hearted, "4H" attempt by Marengo (see video) managed to set a benchmark to inspire the Mighty Pajero and the capable Bolero to beat it. On the otherhand, Marengo's passengers weren't too keen on the exercise and I had a promise to keep. Besides, we did not have other vehicles with us for comfort. So the attempt was one of caution and not of aggression. Nor there was any need to overcome any benchmark.

The very fact that Marengo managed to go much higher than the previously set tracks was a surprise to me, an added bonus, felt happy, came back and shared, thats all.

However, this, I guess would roughly form 1% of my trip, given that, there were so many other things to see or do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post
Amazing !!

Your feat is amazing as you went with family alone (without any other car in the group) and to all those places like Marismik La/Parkachik/Rangdum/Pensi La/Chushul/Hanle (read lonely & challenging routes). We also didn't have any other car with us but then we didn't have a family to tow.

Amazing that you reached Hanle so early that you could have lunch there!
What time did you leave from Pangong?

Thanks TheIndian! Thanks for having brought out the essence of the trip!

However, my daughter is coming up as quite a help. So hopefully within a few years, this challenge will be my past!

We left from Spangmik at 9:15 am, reached Hanle by around 2:45pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Elaborate and deserving write-up to a very well-planned & well-executed trip. My 5* to the thread.
Thanks Shamindra-da! However the credit for both the planning and execution should go to the planning that Tsk1979 and you had helped me with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Hmmm... did I hear your wife's considered opinion in the video, about that adventurous streak in her husband, and what possible outcome(s) that might have on Marengo?
Yes you did! There was quite a displeasure before starting as well, so had to promise that I will just drive up and come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sinha View Post
Great thread Anirban. 5 starred. Lot of useful information as I prepare for my October trip, and lot of questions. Here's one: Did you pre-book the tent at Turtuk or walked in and found a place? Whats the chance of finding accomodation in mid-Oct without a pre-booking there?
OK, two questions.
But I have lots more when we meet.
Thanks Abhijeet! For the tent at Turtuk or other places without phone connectivity, I was helped by HVK. The networking for Ladakh preparations over Facebook is quite helpful, so it will actually be a loss to be away from FB by choice!!
1100D is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2014, 12:49   #28
BHPian

Quote:

We left from Spangmik at 9:15 am, reached Hanle by around 2:45pm.

You drove at super pace.

We left Pangong (somewhere between Lukung & Spangmik) at about 7.30 am and reached Hanle at about 5.30 pm - 6 pm though with time lost at Chushul & with many photo shoot halts.
TheIndian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 09:47   #29
BHPian

Wonderful log, loved reading and going through photos.

Am just back from Ladakh last weekend, missed out Marsimik La, definitely felt like being present back there from your phatos.

For us we planned to reach Hanle via Chushul, but the Army checkpost had different plans for us, Though we expected this but tried convincing them which went in vain .

Returned back via Tangste to Leh.
Raps is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 11:14   #30
BHPian

Fantastic, enthralling travelogue as usual! Thanks so much for this. I'm counting the days till my 4wd scorpio is delivered. A trip to Kolkata in the new car is planned around Sept. / Oct., so maybe we can meet up there, what say?
ajitkommini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote