Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2014, 16:31   #16
BHPian
 
psurelia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 237
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Great set of pics and crisp narration. Darjeeling and Gangtok are very close to my heart and I enjoyed your travelogue. I have been to Darjeeling so many times but have not managed to write a proper travelogue. Thanks for sharing this.
Thanks BlackPearl for your encouraging feedback. Hope to give you many more such stories. I had read your "Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. (Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut)" some time last year. Ever since I read that travelogue, Sandakphu is on my wish list. Back then I could not get my membership approved, so could not tell you how much I liked the story.
psurelia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 00:05   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
silverado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai-Pune
Posts: 1,012
Thanked: 636 Times
Default Re: Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok

Lucky you buddy, superb pics. Did you encounter any Old Land rovers for which Darjeeling is famous for? I wish to visit Darjeeling some day to ride that train and see those LandRover's in flesh.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 16:06   #18
BHPian
 
psurelia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 237
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Lucky you buddy, superb pics. Did you encounter any Old Land rovers for which Darjeeling is famous for? I wish to visit Darjeeling some day to ride that train and see those LandRover's in flesh.
Thanks Silverado. I am happy to know that you liked the pics. In and around the town of Darjeeling all you see are the regular Sumo, Bolero, Tavera, Nano, Alto, Santro and the likes. If you wish to see the old ancestors, the following post by BlackPearl will be helpful in planning your trip.

Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut
psurelia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 23:25   #19
Newbie
 
maverickrider00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Darjeeling
Posts: 15
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok

Great work Psurelia, nice travelogue.I am sorry some unscrupulous chap cheated you in my native place. These are the ones who spoil the fame of the Queen of hills and her people. Next time, if you come to Darjeeling kindly let me know so that I can ensure you have a great time. Infact the moderators should come up with a plan where each Team-bhpian can share his or her location so that other Team-bhpians can contact and meet when they come calling in their roadtrips. That would be a great way to know and help each other.
maverickrider00 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 06:54   #20
BHPian
 
psurelia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 237
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickrider00 View Post
Great work Psurelia, nice travelogue.I am sorry some unscrupulous chap cheated you in my native place. These are the ones who spoil the fame of the Queen of hills and her people. Next time, if you come to Darjeeling kindly let me know so that I can ensure you have a great time. Infact the moderators should come up with a plan where each Team-bhpian can share his or her location so that other Team-bhpians can contact and meet when they come calling in their roadtrips. That would be a great way to know and help each other.
Thanks Maverick. I shall surely get in touch with you when I go to Darjeeling the next time.

I think your suggestion totally makes sense. I think it can be achieved by creating threads for each city in a "Cities to Visit" section and adding a location based member search functionality.
psurelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 14:14   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 284
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok

Thanks for sharing Psurelia. It reminded me of our trip last June to these places. Gangtok is a wonderful city , clean and beautiful.

Having gone up to Tsomgo lake, you could have proceeded further to the Nathula Pass, the Indo Chinese border.

Last edited by raju2512 : 16th July 2014 at 14:16.
raju2512 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 14:34   #22
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 2,311
Thanked: 4,387 Times
Default Re: Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurelia View Post
Thanks BlackPearl for your encouraging feedback. Hope to give you many more such stories. I had read your "Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. (Destination Sandakphu, the Land Rover territory. Update - another trip till Phalut)" some time last year. Ever since I read that travelogue, Sandakphu is on my wish list. Back then I could not get my membership approved, so could not tell you how much I liked the story.
Thanks psurelia for going through that travelogue . Here is a link to another one on Sandakphu when we went there a 3rd time (if you have missed it) - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-3rd-time.html (Bolero 4WD takes us to Sandakphu. For the 3rd time!)
By the way I am not trying to hijack your thread
BlackPearl is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 15:37   #23
BHPian
 
psurelia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 237
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
Having gone up to Tsomgo lake, you could have proceeded further to the Nathula Pass, the Indo Chinese border.
That is right, Raju. But, as I said, we had my parents waiting at an restaurant, we decided to return from Tsomgo. Moreover, I wanted to go further only with my Storme. So, we put an end to the journey at Tsomgo this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Thanks psurelia for going through that travelogue . Here is a link to another one on Sandakphu when we went there a 3rd time (if you have missed it) - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-3rd-time.html (Bolero 4WD takes us to Sandakphu. For the 3rd time!)
By the way I am not trying to hijack your thread
No worries. BTW, I had read the travelogue of your 3rd trip to Sandakphu as well. I must say the pics are great!
psurelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 17:48   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 1,905 Times
Default Re: Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok

Thanks for sharing. Your writing style was very descriptive. It's a shame people in the Darjeeling hills always look forward to somehow give the regular joe a horrid time.
But enough said! I will look forward to your next thread!
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 19:32   #25
BHPian
 
psurelia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 237
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Thanks for sharing. Your writing style was very descriptive. It's a shame people in the Darjeeling hills always look forward to somehow give the regular joe a horrid time.
But enough said! I will look forward to your next thread!
Thanks Joy. I am glad that you liked it. This trip just reminded me that I need to be street smart . My next one is most probably going to be one of my old trips. I am thinking of putting it together by the end of 1st week of August.
psurelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 01:06   #26
Newbie
 
maverickrider00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Darjeeling
Posts: 15
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurelia View Post
Thanks Maverick. I shall surely get in touch with you when I go to Darjeeling the next time.

I think your suggestion totally makes sense. I think it can be achieved by creating threads for each city in a "Cities to Visit" section and adding a location based member search functionality.
You are always welcome psurelia, as for your suggestion a database and a thread such as that can be absolutely wonderful for wayfarers like us.

Moderators, please take note of this amazing idea.
maverickrider00 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 21:53   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 374
Thanked: 133 Times
Default Re: Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickrider00 View Post
Great work Psurelia, nice travelogue.I am sorry some unscrupulous chap ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurelia View Post
...
I think your suggestion totally makes sense.
...
Nice travelogue .. Partha!
Notwithstanding some unpleasant experiences, this travelogue will act as a good advertisement/motivator for wanderers to visit Darjeeling and further NE.

And yes .. it always a good idea to know someone local whenever possible.

Last edited by deepv : 17th July 2014 at 21:55.
deepv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 22:51   #28
BHPian
 
psurelia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 237
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickrider00 View Post
...as for your suggestion a database and a thread such as that can be absolutely wonderful for wayfarers like us.
One for all, all for one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Nice travelogue .. Partha!
Notwithstanding some unpleasant experiences, this travelogue will act as a good advertisement/motivator for wanderers to visit Darjeeling and further NE.

And yes .. it always a good idea to know someone local whenever possible.
Thanks Deep. Darjeeling needs no advertisement I guess. I have found many people who haven't heard about Kolkata or Bengalore or Chennai in many parts of the world, but I am yet to find a person who can read and write and does not know at least the name of Darjeeling! I know Maverick will be very happy to hear that.
psurelia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 10:47   #29
BHPian
 
JASMEET MATTOO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 273
Thanked: 272 Times
Default Re: Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok

Nice sweet travelogue with sweet family pics. I specially liked the shot - Driving above the clouds - Looks like heaven.
JASMEET MATTOO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 21:48   #30
BHPian
 
rahul4640's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 462
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok

Friends,
Hope I am not hijacking this thread anyway. Actually there are many threads in this forum about Darjeeling (the queen of the hills) and I do not wish to add one more. But I had been to Darjeeling and Lolegaon a couple of months ago (this summer) and wish to show you few pictures of mine.

I started from my home in north Calcutta shortly before half past three in the morning. The roads were empty. This picture was taken near Bardhaman town even before five O'clock.
Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok-dsc_0001.jpg

Took the Bhedia-Sriniketan More-Purandarpur-Siuri route. First major stop was at Messanjore, where I stopped for twenty minutes.
Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok-dsc_0009.jpg

My only car is the one at the left, an almost ten year old Tata Indigo (MPFI, 1,30,000+ KM). I was proud of it, when it effortlessly climbed up the steep climbs of Peshok Road this time too, beating most of the SUVs on that stretch.
Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok-dsc_0010.jpg


Vikramshila Bridge near Bhagalpur.
Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok-dsc_0017.jpg

Some random shots.
Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok-dsc_0006.jpg

Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok-dsc_0024.jpg

Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok-dsc_0026.jpg

Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok-dsc_0032.jpg

This is where the four lane road ends shortly before Siliguri.
Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok-dsc_0036.jpg

Reached Siliguri at five in the afternoon, being delayed by at least two hours at a traffic jam at Bhagalpur.

My hotel at Siliguri. I had stayed there previously and was offered a reasonably large AC room for rupees fourteen hundred only (including tax). It had a secured parking at the back of the hotel and I was not charged anything extra, when we three (myself, wife and daughter) shared a single room.
Storme through the Hills: Kolkata to Darjeeling & Gangtok-119.jpg

Thanks for viewing this. I shall surely post some more photos about my Loleygaon & Darjeeling trip.
Regards,
Rahul

Last edited by rahul4640 : 18th July 2014 at 21:52. Reason: Adding text
rahul4640 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 Days - Darjeeling, Kalimpong,Gangtok and North Sikkim BlackPearl Travelogues 57 14th October 2015 19:21
A Quick Trip to Darjeeling, Gangtok & Nathula Ddrive Travelogues 23 24th September 2014 22:16
A Himalayan Retreat aboard the Silver Blaze (Kolkata-Gangtok-Darjeeling-Kolkata ) Incognito Travelogues 27 19th March 2012 03:59
Gopalpur on Sea, Puri, Konark, Kolkata, Darjeeling, Gangtok romyeo4u Travelogues 40 30th March 2009 10:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks