Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2014, 22:52   #16
BHPian
 
lone_driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bhopal
Posts: 59
Thanked: 97 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
Good to see lone_driver! I always thought guys from our state are non-drivers, having seen my friends doing Bhopal-Indore to death and calling themselves enthusiasts leaves me with a bazzinga face

And that's, my friend; is on hell of a drive! I understand you as I have also done quite some solo drives but definitely not of this level. Hats off!

What I enjoy in solo drives is that the surroundings, the machine, the terrain, the weather they all talk to you. Its like (Mein aur meri car, aksar ye baatein..)
very true sir ! someone I knew recently did a Bhopal - Pune 800kms in two days and was bragging about it and I was like - dude , I reach my home in Kerala in that time .. ! and I was the one having final laughs
but then I am lucky to have met a few like minded people in Bhopal who are avid travelers .

Agree with the fact that nothing can beat a solo drive ... It rejuvenates us more than anything !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Nice TL with good pictures, @lone_driver. You've helped improve my geography a bit, as I was not aware of few of the places you visited.

It is good to know that you ventured for the first time onto hilly terrain. That is a different ball game together, and one gets exposed to so many tricky things. Congrats for having completed an exhilarating trip, that will kindle your memories in the years to come.

Keep posting more details.

thank you for the kind words vnabhi . Inspires me to take up another drive and put a travelogue here.

driving on the mountains , like you said , is an exciting experience . make me want to go back .

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th July 2014 at 08:24. Reason: Back to back posts
lone_driver is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 23:20   #17
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Leoshashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: JH01/JH05
Posts: 1,981
Thanked: 11,025 Times
Default Re: 1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi

That's one hell of an exhilarating trip, @ Lone_Driver. This trip is one which will be in my memory for years. Trips are inspired by many factors, but it's hard to believe that a desire to have a cup of tea can also inspire one.
What you get in bargain is the awesome experience.


You truly deserve the LTD badge
Looking forward to more such travelogues from you. Great pics BTW !!

Last edited by Leoshashi : 15th July 2014 at 23:36.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 23:23   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 374
Thanked: 133 Times
Default Re: 1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi

Great pictures .. Tushar!!
And its really commendable for first timer on hills to do it all by yourself.

I have been to Joshimath twice, once till Badrinath other time for Auli, but haven't driven myself through there.
deepv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 23:30   #19
BHPian
 
lone_driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bhopal
Posts: 59
Thanked: 97 Times
Default

1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi-dsc_0003.jpg


1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi-dsc_0013.jpg


1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi-dsc_0016.jpg


Distant view of badrinath temple

Name:  DSC_0022.jpg
Views: 1876
Size:  169.0 KB

Badrinath Temple

1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi-dsc_0030.jpg

Natural Hot water

1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi-dsc_0044.jpg


1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi-dsc_0053.jpg


1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi-img_1469.jpg


1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi-dsc_0054.jpg


1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi-img_1472.jpg

The point of confluence of rivers Alaknanda and Mandakini at Rudraprayag !

1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi-dsc_0056.jpg

Devprayag

1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi-dsc_0059.jpg

Alaknanda and Bhagirathi rivers meet and take the name Ganga

1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi-dsc_0058.jpg

Rishikesh

1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi-dsc_0066.jpg


1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi-dsc_0076.jpg


1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi-dsc_0077.jpg

Exiting UK , Heading home !

1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi-img_1529.jpg

YEW !

1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi-img_1535.jpg

I said I'll come for you babe ! it was an awesome experience to drive on the Yamuna Expressway !

1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi-img_1545.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Great pictures .. Tushar!!
And its really commendable for first timer on hills to do it all by yourself.

I have been to Joshimath twice, once till Badrinath other time for Auli, but haven't driven myself through there.
Thank you deepv . It was tough in the beginning but then I was really comfortable taking the mountain roads with ease . next time you go there you must definitely drive !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
That's one hell of an exhilarating trip, @ Lone_Driver. This trip is one which will be in my memory for years. Trips are inspired by many factors, but it's hard to believe that a desire to have a cup of tea can also inspire one.
What you get in bargain is the awesome experience.


You truly deserve the LTD badge
Looking forward to more such travelogues from you.

We Bhpians just need a reason to hit the highway leoshashi . We all Live to drive !!

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th July 2014 at 08:25. Reason: Back to back posts
lone_driver is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 08:58   #20
BHPian
 
rkhare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bhopal
Posts: 89
Thanked: 109 Times
Default Re: 1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Nice to see another bhpian from Bhopal.
Agra - Aligarh - Moradabad road condition looks to be good. Some time back it was hell.
Nice log in the making. Did you attempt Mana Pass also ?
BHP'ian from Bhopal, Tushar time to explore Columbus ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_driver View Post
great to see you too columbus
rkhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 09:30   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bhopal
Posts: 288
Thanked: 356 Times
Default Re: 1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_driver View Post

I did not know about mana pass until I read your comment .. how do we approach it ? the was a single road from badrinath to mana .. !
Mana Pass - 18399 ft.
Post no 13 pic no. 2 . Your car is parked under board . The road climbing up right in the pic goes to Mana pass . You need permits from ITBP which are difficult to get. However civilians on bikes and 4 wheels have done it before.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 09:45   #22
BHPian
 
lone_driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bhopal
Posts: 59
Thanked: 97 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Mana Pass - 18399 ft.
Post no 13 pic no. 2 . Your car is parked under board . The road climbing up right in the pic goes to Mana pass . You need permits from ITBP which are difficult to get. However civilians on bikes and 4 wheels have done it before.

Ok .. Thanx for the info columbus ... I had asked an ITBP personnel if its possible to go further . He said you can trek for 17 kms and see the peaks of china .. Going further would require permits .. He did not mention mana pass but he may have been talking about the same .


Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhare View Post
BHP'ian from Bhopal, Tushar time to explore Columbus ;-)

Yes rkhare ! Columbus , we have a very active group of bhpians in bhopal who meet regularly .. Please PM me your contact info so that we can keep you in the loop about our meets



Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th July 2014 at 08:26. Reason: Back to back posts
lone_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 11:18   #23
BHPian
 
Arch-Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chn(Atrocity)
Posts: 552
Thanked: 277 Times
Default Re: 1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi

That's quite a journey for a cup of tea, which currently isn't my cup of tea, atleast for now. Nice to see such places but sometimes you got to see these places with your own eyes which is something i hope to do soon. Nice writeup and pictures too.
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 14:21   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 1,905 Times
Default Re: 1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi

Congratulations on your first successful himalayan drive! Wishing to see many more such travelogues from you!
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 09:09   #25
BHPian
 
lone_driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bhopal
Posts: 59
Thanked: 97 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Congratulations on your first successful himalayan drive! Wishing to see many more such travelogues from you!

Thank you !
Hoping to visit the mountains again soon !


Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
That's quite a journey for a cup of tea, which currently isn't my cup of tea, atleast for now. Nice to see such places but sometimes you got to see these places with your own eyes which is something i hope to do soon. Nice writeup and pictures too.

Yes .. Seeing pictures and seeing in reality are two different things . This I experienced in this trip .
You must definitely take up this trip soon . Good luck


Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th July 2014 at 08:26.
lone_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 23:39   #26
BHPian
 
Samba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 897
Thanked: 4,934 Times
Default Re: 1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi

That's one hell of a drive. When every one is doing the Leh Ladakh circuit with their suv's you did this part of the Himalaya in your hatchback.

A very well written travelogue with some beautiful pictures. Loved going through the whole story and not to mention your swift is gelling great with this terrain. Thanks a lot for sharing.

As you already did your first visit to the Himalaya am sure you got addicted to it and now onwards you will look forward for more chances to hit the Himalayan hair pin bends often !

Last edited by Samba : 17th July 2014 at 23:44.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 11:16   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,616
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default Re: 1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi

Lovely picture-log.This must have been one hell of a tea-drive

The 150km drive in 9hrs must have been back breaking.I always wonder what makes those rocks stand where they are in the positions they are!Scary and you were driving in semi darkness in some of the non-road regions
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 14:30   #28
BHPian
 
lone_driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bhopal
Posts: 59
Thanked: 97 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Lovely picture-log.This must have been one hell of a tea-drive

The 150km drive in 9hrs must have been back breaking.I always wonder what makes those rocks stand where they are in the positions they are!Scary and you were driving in semi darkness in some of the non-road regions


Thanks you ranjitp ! The drive was truly exciting !

150 kms in 9 hours was not as bad as it sounds .It was rather good . The roads were superb . This time also includes 4 hours spent at auli .And all the breaks .

Yes , those stones make me wonder too .
I always made it sure that we were below a roof before sun down because of the unknown region and mountain roads , but there were 2 occasions when I had to drive some more after the sun down too . Its scary when you know that you are at an altitude of 10k and there is not even a railing on the side of the road that could stop the fall if you misjudge a turn .. Pheww ! Really, heck of an experience !


Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
lone_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014, 15:52   #29
BHPian
 
lone_driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bhopal
Posts: 59
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: 1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
That's one hell of a drive. When every one is doing the Leh Ladakh circuit with their suv's you did this part of the Himalaya in your hatchback.

A very well written travelogue with some beautiful pictures. Loved going through the whole story and not to mention your swift is gelling great with this terrain. Thanks a lot for sharing.

As you already did your first visit to the Himalaya am sure you got addicted to it and now onwards you will look forward for more chances to hit the Himalayan hair pin bends often !
Thank you samba !
doing it in a hatchback was not difficult at all . Just felt some loss of power while I was at badrinath .

Driving to the himalayas is indeed an addiction . Am already planning my next trip to the himalayas , this time a bit more further than uttrakhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_driver View Post
Thanks you ranjitp ! The drive was truly exciting !

150 kms in 9 hours was not as bad as it sounds .It was rather good . The roads were superb . This time also includes 4 hours spent at auli .And all the breaks .

Yes , those stones make me wonder too .
I always made it sure that we were below a roof before sun down because of the unknown region and mountain roads , but there were 2 occasions when I had to drive some more after the sun down too . Its scary when you know that you are at an altitude of 10k and there is not even a railing on the side of the road that could stop the fall if you misjudge a turn .. Pheww ! Really, heck of an experience !


Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
lone_driver is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 22:30   #30
BHPian
 
Mr.mitsuvolk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bhopal
Posts: 147
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

This travelogue is a must read for all those Bhopalis' who think going all the way to Raju tea stall is the farthest one can go for tea

Your travelogue is simply awesome and the driving holiday itch has completely taken over me but damn exams and projects.
I am planning something for September.
BTW did you face any troubles on the ground clearance part with your swift?
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Black VW Vento TSI. EDIT: 30,000 km update Rajeevraj Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 191 13th August 2017 15:33
Toyota Innova: 11000 kms, 2 months and 3 services later balan Long-Term Ownership Reviews 18 20th May 2014 17:14
My Hyundai i20 Asta: 11000 kms report ramraman Long-Term Ownership Reviews 1 26th July 2011 11:14
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek Saurabh M Travelogues 30 10th December 2010 17:29
My Broadband Bill is Rs 11000 - Help! ajmat Shifting gears 62 15th December 2008 14:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks