Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 23rd August 2014, 13:40   #31
BHPian

Default Re: 1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
This travelogue is a must read for all those Bhopalis' who think going all the way to Raju tea stall is the farthest one can go for tea

Your travelogue is simply awesome and the driving holiday itch has completely taken over me but damn exams and projects.
I am planning something for September.
BTW did you face any troubles on the ground clearance part with your swift?
just noticed this comment . sorry about the late reply .
no GC problem faced . even on the last 25kms to badrinath where the road was in shambles , the swift never took a hit .

so , what are your plans for September ?
lone_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 22:08   #32
BHPian

Default Re: 1700 to 11000 ft! A drive to Devbhoomi

I just realized that the travelogue is not complete yet . did not talk about the return journey .

After a relaxed darshan at the Badrinath temple , got back to the hotel , packed up and left badrinath at around 9:30 AM . Had to wait at the badrinath end checkpost for a while where the vehicle number and occupant details were noted and we were let off at 10 Am . The descent was much easy that the climb . reached Hemkund sahib parking ina while and stopped for tea.

Then it was a continuous drive downhill via joshimath , nandaprayag , karnaprayag to rudraprayag . The roads were in awesome condition . stopped for Lunch around 1 and later for some hot and delicious kheer at one of the langars arranged for hemkund sahib pilgrims .

Reached karnaprayag by 3:45 in the afternoon and stopped for tea at the same hotel where we had stayed the night a couple of days back . The owner of the hotel was a friendly young fellow and he wanted us to stay at the hotel for the night as his guests free of cost . But had to refuse the offer with a promise to come back again some day we left after having tea which was again not charged for . We reached rudraprayag and spent some time at the confluence and left to devprayag . Had some piping hot momos with schezwan sauce en-route and were in devprayag by 7:30 pm where we retired for the night !

Next morning we left devprayag after visitng the confluence by 9 AM . had delicious breakfast at a UK govt. restaurant near shivpuri and reached rishikesh by 11 am .
Rishikesh was soo humid that we dumped our plans of camping there and spent about 1.5 hrs there before we left . Bought some baal mithaai from rishikesh and headed towards haridwar . Traffic was very dense between rishikesh and haridwar and it was almost 1:30 when we reached haridwar . took a dip in the holy river at a ghat a bit away from the main ghats and started the drive again feeling refreshed . Had a late lunch after muzzfarnagar where we were again struck in traffic for about 15 minutes .
crossed modinagar and reached ghaziabad where there was a bad jam which wasted about 1.5 hours . the funny part was - we were only 300mtrs away from the left turn that we needed to take but took a good 1.5 hrs to reach that left turn . After that it was a breeze to reach Noida from where I tool the Noida -greater noida expreeway which was just a trailer of the film that lay ahead - YEW !

Joined the famed Yamuna Expressway and was thrilled to drive on the YEW for the first time . Had dinner around !0:30 PM and reached agra around 1 AM . The toll for YEW was Rs.340 . Had tea at a small tea shop on the outskirts of Agra and started driving towards gwalior . Reached gwalior around 2:30 am where we stopped at a roadside dhaba for tea . there were three khatias at the dhabar on which we decided to lie down till the tea came . Don't know when sleep crept in and it was 4:30 when I was woken up by a friend . . Had tea and started to drive again and it was almost a non stop drive till home at bhopal .Reached home by 11:30 AM and realised that I had driven for almost 27 hours to reach from devprayag to bhopal !

An exiting driving holiday came to an end !
lone_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2014, 06:54   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_driver View Post
just noticed this comment . sorry about the late reply .
no GC problem faced . even on the last 25kms to badrinath where the road was in shambles , the swift never took a hit .

so , what are your plans for September ?
Done with exams finally but the holiday plan did not work.
I had a plan to do the same circuit as yours, with a minor change i.e. including Kanpur in the trip.
Ultimately only the Kanpur part of the trip worked out. Will head back to Bhopal on Saturday from here.
With this trip I got to do the 'driving' part of my 'Driving holiday', but unfortunately the 'holiday' feeling gets nullified when you enter UP
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   Reply With Quote