Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 26th July 2014, 22:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Goa in the monsoon A dream drive!

AD, great photologue with a touch of flashback from 2013 I visit this place almost 2-3 times a year and has never tired of doing it again! Monsoon being the most awaited time we visit this place during Ganesh Festival, Shigmotsav, Diwali or X'mas. Not just the beaches and forts, but the Goan culture, tradition and food is great too. I am sure you would love exploring it!

Driving through the less known roads of Goa be it north or south, or taking a ferry to most visited places of Goa, visiting to the forts that are quieter and serene like Tiracol - there so much more to Goa than just sun and sand!

Glad you had a great trip there and enjoyed the drive. Next time in monsoon, take diversion after Hubli to hit the Anmod or Karwar stretch. That would be fun too provided road conditions don't deteriorate. The recent monsoon drive HVK did via Tilari is the road you should try someday too! Its the same Goa, discovered if many different ways
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 11:30   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post

Glad you had a great trip there and enjoyed the drive. Next time in monsoon, take diversion after Hubli to hit the Anmod or Karwar stretch. That would be fun too provided road conditions don't deteriorate. The recent monsoon drive HVK did via Tilari is the road you should try someday too! Its the same Goa, discovered if many different ways
Thanks abirnale. I will certainly try the Tilari road in future. Actually while returning via Mapusa towards Chorla ghat, at one point the Google Maps diverted me on a road towards Sawantwadi and Amboli. I took a U-turn and returned back to the Chorla road. However, reading some other travelogues later, I believe the Sawantwadi-Amboli road is also very scenic. I had taken this road in summer a few years back while driving to Goa from Pune, but it will definitely be a new experience to take this in monsoon as well. So this is also on my radar for next year.
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 16:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
However, reading some other travelogues later, I believe the Sawantwadi-Amboli road is also very scenic. I had taken this road in summer a few years back while driving to Goa from Pune, but it will definitely be a new experience to take this in monsoon as well.
Yes, definitely! In terms of road condition, Chorla is better but in monsoon, both routes are awesome. Another route via Anmod ghat is good too. Actually to confuse you more, everything that goes through western ghats during monsoon has great views but the condition of roads varies from being worst to best!

Time to do a drive together The Black and Silver SX4s should be great experience driving in the unique green backdrop of western ghats
abirnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 19:30   #19

Great travelogue loved the pics, especially of the drive through Chorla ghat

It was indeed a great trip, I joined AD directly in Goa and we hung out together over the weekend. I have been kickign myself for not making it for the drive ever since I saw the pics - severe time crunch, so had to fly.

Nevertheless, Goa was fabulous in the rains and this beautiful side of Goa is something that I never seen.

Here are some more pics from my phone-cam of our weekend there.
Attached Thumbnails
Goa in the monsoon  A dream drive!-img_20140712_105811192_hdr.jpg  

Goa in the monsoon  A dream drive!-img_20140712_105827827_hdr.jpg  

Goa in the monsoon  A dream drive!-img_20140712_122809974_hdr.jpg  

Goa in the monsoon  A dream drive!-img_20140712_123324931_hdr.jpg  

Goa in the monsoon  A dream drive!-img_20140712_123337391_hdr.jpg  

Goa in the monsoon  A dream drive!-img_20140712_123342150_hdr.jpg  

Goa in the monsoon  A dream drive!-img_20140712_124503090_hdr.jpg  

fulcrum.xyz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 20:24   #20
BHPian

Thanks fulcrum for the nice pictures!

Yup, I should clarify this: although my drive was solo, in Goa, I hanged out with fellow bhpian fulcrum.xyz who flew there as he mentioned in his above post.

Next time, we should certainly drive together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Time to do a drive together The Black and Silver SX4s should be great experience driving in the unique green backdrop of western ghats
Yes, certainly. The two SX4s, and fulcrum's silver swift will be a perfect set of machinery for a nice Goa drive :-)
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 19:08   #21
BHPian

Hi, nice one there. quick qn, can you tell us more on your stay? How much did it cost you? I searched for that hotel, but I'm seeing a 5 start hotel, which must be expensive. Am seeing the right place? Thanks.
vrvarier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 19:58   #22
BHPian

Great travelogue and some really good pics there. Goa during the rains does have a charm. We were there in 2012 August celebrating our anniversary and will be visiting again this year round for our anniversary.

Apart from the beautiful locales, what pulls me most to Goa is the amazing food. It is a true Gastronomic delight amd this time too we will be continuing from the where we left last time exploring local Goan cuisine.

Where did you stay BTW?

Last edited by vibbs : 5th August 2014 at 19:59.
vibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 20:56   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Great travelogue and some really good pics there.

Where did you stay BTW?
Thanks vibbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post
Hi, nice one there. quick qn, can you tell us more on your stay? How much did it cost you? I searched for that hotel, but I'm seeing a 5 start hotel, which must be expensive. Am seeing the right place? Thanks.
As I mentioned, we stayed in "Fortune Select Regina Goa", which is in Candolim. If you Google the above term, you will get the hotel website.

The hotel link does say it is a 5 star hotel, but in reality, I felt it was more like a 4 star hotel. The hotel booking was done by fulcrum.xyz, and if I remember right, the nightly rate was around 4000 Rs., given that this was off-season.

This is a nice hotel, but in case you want to explore other options, there are several good hotels in Candolim. In July 2013, we stayed in Lemon Tree resorts in Candolim, and that was very nice too (and a bit cheaper, at about 3000 Rs. per night).

In general, Goa has a very large number of good and very good hotels, so you can't go wrong that easily with your hotel choice :-)
Dr.AD is offline   Reply With Quote