Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 11th August 2014, 19:56   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Travelogue: Foggy & Freezing Ooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Crisp TL & nice snaps.
I could see out of 3 days almost 2 days were occupied by Travel / Driving. May be for the next trip plan accordingly to cover the left out places.
I'm not sure of my TL (Exploring Ooty, again) may help you.
Exactly, most of our time went in driving. Thanks for the link, will surely cover the places we missed this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Lovely write up and photos

Incidentally, I was in Ooty exactly one week before you went there and I had stayed in the same hotel, Astoria Residency!

More details in my ownership thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3492335
I liked the Hotel, Astoria. Pretty decent. What say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Good going madam! Nice log of the trip.

But you still need one more drive to Ooty at least. The next you go, its not for the tourist spots, but for the places not seen by the regular tourists. Its forums like ours, which bring out these places. Here is a thread for reference.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ent-point.html (Ooty, Upper bavani, western catchment point)

PS: For every drive to Ooty, there is always one more. I have lost count of how many times I have been to Ooty... But I still want to go again. And its logs like yours, which adds to the fire!
Thanks for the link, need to plan another Ooty visit soon for the places mentioned in the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Nice and crisp log. Ooty is always good no matter whats the season, I prefer a little colder temperatures so have been to Ooty around 4 times. You must always take the 36 hair pin side, its always maintained and faster. However, please take care as with a learners license you are not supposed to drive on the highways if I can remember the rules correctly.

Those check post cops are always funny, they had once stopped us as well after dark to warn us of animals during that time and I jokingly asked no animals to be seen, he pointed to an elephant quite close to the check post. Lo behold there was one actually standing there!!
I got my DL and pretty much decent with driving now. Have put a L board just to be a little cautious and I, till date have never driven the car alone to be in the safer side.

Even we saw that elephant, it was right behind the check post building (a bit uphill if I can remember)

Quote:
Originally Posted by majumon View Post
Nice travelogue. Next time try to stay at Coonoor, its less crowded and more scenic. Its one of my favourite destinations. Also am sure you are aware that while negotiating the 36 hair pins, you must drive on the same gears that you were while going uphill while you are coming downhill. This is very important. Happy driving and keep writing. Cheers.
Coonoor is on my have-to-go list. Will surely visit soon.
We could only use 1st and 2nd gear while climbing up and down. Few HPBs are tricky and dangerous. Need to be super cautious.
nandita_bayan21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 23:44   #17
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandita_bayan21 View Post
I liked the Hotel, Astoria. Pretty decent. What say?
Yes, Astoria is a decent hotel. The location is good, though nothing scenic about the views, but the hotel is easily reachable with Café Coffee Day right next to it.

The only negatives were the not-so-clean bed spreads, no 24 hour hot water facility, and no restaurant yet.

It was the month of Ramadan and the guys at the reception offered to get food at 3 am, after putting it in a Microoven. Basically, the food would have to be ordered at 11.00 pm and it would be cooked and packed at night. I requested for a wake upcall at 3.00 am followed by food. Though I was very happy with their gesture, I had trouble to wake up the guys in the reception and I ended up giving them the wake up call by calling them over their mobiles!! The absence of 24 hours hot water was making the early morning "sahar" a freezing experience.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2014, 11:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Yes, Astoria is a decent hotel. The location is good, though nothing scenic about the views, but the hotel is easily reachable with Café Coffee Day right next to it.....ours hot water was making the early morning "sahar" a freezing experience.
Surprisingly, our room was pretty clean and had hot water 24/7. The restaurant construction was still going on and they informed that it would be done within a month or so..
nandita_bayan21 is online now   Reply With Quote