Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 11th August 2014, 18:15   #1

Default Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)

Hi Everyone,

I have waited a long time to write my very own travelogue on Team-BHP. So, I'm going to start with a 4 day, tri-state ride from Bangalore-Ooty-Mettupalayam-Coimbatore-Munnar-Athirapally-Valparai-Bangalore.

Introduction to the riders and their rides:
Martin riding his Honda CB Unicorn
Arun riding his Pulsar 180
Pramod on a Yamaha R15
Salman a.k.a Buddha on his Classic 500
and yours truly: me on my Classic 350

The main highlight of the ride was to be the 70 odd kms forest ride from Athirapally waterfalls in Kerala to Valaparai in Tamil Nadu. Martin had been to this place in a bus in May to scout the roads and when he told Pramod about this route who in turn told me. We started planning our trip on this route. We chose the time around Ramzan, where we would take a leave on Monday, which would give us 4 days at a stretch to ride.

Pramod chalked out an initial plan for 3 days, so that we could rest our sore saddles on day 4. But Martin came up with an even more beautiful and DETAILED plan spread over 4 days. When I say detailed, I mean no stone, nay no pebble left unturned!
Originally, it was supposed to be Martin, Pramod, me and Pramod's cousin who were supposed to ride. But Pramod's cousin dropped out a couple days before the ride due to unavoidable circumstances. So I invited Buddha to tag along and Martin invited Arun who was planning a solo ride on a similar route. BTW, Salman and Arun were acquaintances from before, through Facebook.

Day 0:

Each of us is sending everyone else mails regarding what we are getting and what more would we need (spares, first aid kits, plastic covers etc.) Luckily for us, Arun had got almost everything that we would ever need. He had planned for the worst case scenario since he was initially planning to ride alone.

Day 1:

All of us met up at Bosch, Adugodi at around 4.45 a.m. and started tying our luggage on our bikes. This was the first trip that I was going to use my new hiking bag, which I bought at Decathlon. I swear I could have fit half our combined luggage in it. It's like Hermoine's undetectable extension charm from the Harry Potter series. All of us are geared up and we left at 5.15 am with Martin leading the convoy.

We decided to go via Kanakapura so that we could beat the weekend traffic on Mysore road and also because this route offered better scenery. I had to stop a few kilometres before Kanakapura to tie my bag, which always seemed to slip to the right, correctly to the seat. After that Kanakapura is where all of us stopped to have tea (I always forget to keep track of time and the odo at our various stops, sorry), after which, off we went again. After an uneventful few kilometres we reached Malavalli, where Martin signalled we stop for tea at his usual spot on this route (we had a lot of tea stops). On Buddha's suggestion we decided to take the Kollegal-Yelandur-Chamarajanagar route towards Gundlupet. I had taken this route quite a few times to go to Ooty and I found that something was amiss this time. Only after a few more kilometres did I realize that the sunflower fields were missing (actually, they had been harvested already). They always reminded me of a Hindi song or a movie scene whenever I rode past them (sigh)!

After passing Gundlupet, we took a deviation towards Gopalaswami Betta as we had heard that it would be closed to private vehicles pretty soon. The roads leading up to the hill are pretty bad, but very scenic and there was a small patch of sunflowers which were in full bloom. We paid the Rs. 25 toll each for the bikes and enquired about the future movement of private vehicles. They told us that they will not allow vehicles after Dussera this year. The only way to reach the temple atop the hill would be through forest department mini buses starting from the check post at Rs. 30 per person. Buddha and I reached the top of the hill with relative ease in spite of the bad roads compared to the others (thanks to our bulls) and we could feel the mercury dropping as we made the climb. The top was completely covered with mist (hence the name "Himavad" Gopalaswamy Betta) with occasional breeze giving us a glimpse of the valley down below.

Spending time only to click photos, we were off towards Bandipur. Something else I have to mention is that Martin had given much hype about the wild animals that he had encountered on his previous trips in the area. All of us were going at about 30 km/h (not that we could go much faster, because of the speed breakers every 500 m) always on the lookout, trying to spot a wild elephant or a bison.

We stopped at the Bandipur reception centre for a few minutes due to rain, which stopped completely (as usual) as soon as I wore my rain liner underneath my jacket. Reluctant to take it off again, we continued, where on our way we saw some "wild" monkeys, a herd of deer, and a few trained elephants. But, I have to admit that we were going through this place at the right time. There was a different shade of green on either side of the road, which you can see only during the monsoon. We reached the TN state border where I was the only one who had to open my bag and the show the cops there that I wasn't smuggling any liquor while the other guys were just smirking. After this, we were unsuccessful in spotting any wildlife in Mudumalai and rode till Masinagudi to have our lunch. Just before the hotel, Arun and Salman found an awesome spot to click a few pics. This is also where I realized I was being cooked inside my jacket as I had left my rain liner on and the sun was shining bright for the past several kilometres. I was soaked in sweat.

I forgot the name of the hotel, but I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone else. They had an unlimited Gujarati thali, which Pramod and I opted for while the others had limited South Indian thali. The taste was ok, but the service was abysmal. We got fed up of waiting for the rotis, and I just stopped at 10 rotis while Pramod stopped at 8 I think (don’t judge us, we were starving). It was here that we spotted another group of Bulleteers, one among them was riding a diesel variant. Skip ahead to the ride, we took a deviation towards Moyar, saw the Maravakandy dam on the way, which had a pretty good view and pushed on further to reach Moyar river. Pramod didn't want to climb down from his bike, as he had found his "sweet spot". We took a few clicks and spotted a peacock on our way back, but it ran away before we could take a pic. We then rode towards Ooty, where we took the 36 hairpin bend route. On the way to Ooty, we stopped near a small deviation, which led us towards Kalahatty falls. About 500 m from the main road, you’ll find steps leading you down to the falls. Martin and Arun went ahead to the falls while Buddha, Pramod and I stayed back with the bikes and the bags enjoying a Toblerone. When those two returned and showed us the pics, we decided we would skip it and proceeded towards Ooty. We didn't stop for 'tea in Ooty' as we had just had lunch and proceeded towards Doddabetta. From here we took the Kothagiri route towards Metupalayam. The next 18 odd kilometres could only be described as rider's dream. Pramod and I broke away from the convoy and went ahead of the rest, chicken stripping our tyres. I scraped my brake lever a few times when I got a bit over zealous, bending right.

We waited for the rest of the guys in Kothagiri town and had tea, which I have to say, at least according to me, was the best tea we had on our entire trip. After that, with Martin leading again we started towards Mettupalayam, which he knew like the back of his hand. It was getting dark and I was tailing the convoy and it was fun to see four riders ahead of me bending and turning like dominoes one after the other on the two-lane, winding roads. This is also where Pramod was practicing to become the next Valentino Rossi, trying to bend like a Moto GP rider, entertaining me all the way. On the way, Martin asked us to stop at what seemed like a random point on the road. Then he pointed out that this was the Mettupalayam city view point, which was mesmerizing in the dark cloudy night. Trust me when I say that the picture does not do justice to the live view. Onward, we rode past Mettupalayam towards Peria Naicken Palayam a few kilometers before Coimbatore, where Martin had booked a room at Hotel C.K. Bar and Family Restaurant for the four of us. The room was decent enough for Rs. 950 per night. We checked in, dumped our luggage in the room and headed out for dinner to a nearby restaurant. Martin went to his brother’s place for the night, which was hardly a kilometre away from the lodge. Fairly tired, all of us were catching some Zs pretty soon.

End of Day 1.
Total distance covered: 420 kms (average of all the odometers)

The road to Gopalaswamy Betta
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-dsc06462.jpg

Buddha trying to capture his signature pic
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-dsc06474.jpg

The result
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-dsc05462.jpg

Atop Gopalaswamy Betta
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-dsc06500.jpg

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-dsc06504.jpg

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-dsc06514.jpg

"Wild life" at Bandipur
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-dsc06532.jpg

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-dsc05491.jpg

Martin's excuse every time
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-8112014-55421-pm.jpg

Mudumalai
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-dsc06543.jpg

On the way to Masinagudi
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-dsc06573.jpg

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-dsc06570.jpg

Diesel Bullet, we were too hungry to take an up-close pic
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-dsc06575.jpg

Moyar Dam
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-8112014-55441-pm.jpg

I'm sexy and I know it
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-dsc05521.jpg

Come at me Bro
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-dsc05522.jpg

The boy who would not get down
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-dsc06604.jpg

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-dsc06596.jpg

Absentee Peacock
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-8122014-35502-pm.png

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-dsc06605.jpg

On the way to Kothagiri
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-dsc05528.jpg

Mettupalayam view point
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-dsc05534.jpg

Distance travelled on Day1: 420 kms
Route taken: https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Be...1.15!3e0?hl=en

Day 2:

The second day's start was a bit lazy. Martin told us that he'll come at around 9.30 am after finishing his Sunday mass. Surprisingly, we were ready by then in spite of Pramod's thrash metal karaoke session in the bathroom. Before the others got ready, Pramod and I went out and got some liquid supplements for the hot day ahead. Later, we went and had breakfast at the same place where we had dinner the previous night.

Note: Martin had asked us to fill up our tanks at the IOL bunk opposite Pricol manufacturing plant near our hotel, which had a good reputation for decent petrol, since the times Martin was working for Pricol.

However, Arun found a Shell bunk in Coimbatore city, so we decided to fill up our tanks there. We left from the hotel at 10.30 am, since we only had to cover 250 odd kilometres. My bike came to reserve just before we entered the city. Let me remind you that my bike has no fuel gauge and I can only know that I need petrol when my engine chokes and I have to put it in reserve. We roamed in the city for a good half and a hour and then finally found the petrol bunk.

Closed for renovation
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-20140727054.jpg

What a let down, and Martin was giving us all a smug look with an "I told you so" written on it. Martin suggested that we fill up at a decent looking bunk on the way to Pollachi some 50 kms away, which we did.

From there, we were on our way towards Udumalpet and there were windmills on the way to it - huge ones at that (at least, the biggest I've seen in person). Martin and the rest were taking it a bit slow afraid of the cross winds every time we passed a truck or a bus, not Buddha and I though (thanks to our bulls again). And a word of advice, bus drivers over here drive like maniacs and also between Metupalayam and Coimbatore. Sometime later, we had a brief stop just before Udumalpet to have some tender coconuts and a few clicks of the windmills.

Sweet nectar that gave us life
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-coconut.jpg

I had a pin wheel like this once
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-windmill.jpg

OK, a much smaller one
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-windmill-2.jpg

Hello!
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-pramod.jpg

Why the hell am I not moving?
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-pramod1.jpg

Oh! That's why!
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-pramod3.jpg

To be continued....

Last edited by Aditya : 20th February 2015 at 15:11.
BBhat is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2014, 11:45   #2

Default re: Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)

After crossing Udumalpet, there was a police check post just before Amaravathi dam, where they asked us to show our papers. They just checked Martin’s papers and didn't bother with the rest of us. After the check post, we took a diversion towards Amaravathi Dam and took a brief stop at the dam for the amazing view.

En route to Amaravathi Dam
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-amaravathi.jpg

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-amaravathi2.jpg

Stairway to heaven
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-stairway.jpg

Atop the stairway
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-heaven.jpg

Us!!
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-amaravathi3.jpg

We came back to the junction and headed in the direction of Annamalai Tiger Reserve. The roads were mediocre and a bit boring. We were trying to spot a few wild animals along the way with no luck. Reached the Kerala border check post and were made to enter our bike details in a register. After that was done, we entered God’s own country via Chinnar wildlife sanctuary. The roads began winding just after the border and we began to climb higher and much to our relief, the temperature was dropping.

God's own country
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-after-tamilnadu-border.jpg

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-random-waterfall.jpg

We reached Marayoor and then we took a deviation towards Kanthaloor as we were planning to go to Top Station, without going to Munnar. On the road to Kanthaloor, we stopped at a small mess for an overdue lunch and what a lunch it was! Absolutely brilliant, with unlimited Kerala-style rice, sambhar, rasam, avial, mohr kozambh and fish. I’m not a particularly big fan of fish, but the others said it was pretty good. The owner of the mess was very courteous and gave us suggestions regarding the route.

On the way to Kanthaloor
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-marayoor.jpg

Definitely recommended
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-gayathri-hotel.jpg

Arun hogging!
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-arun-hogging.png

The owner of the hotel (the one in the red shirt)
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-ajja.png

The road till Kanthaloor was pretty good again. After reaching Kanthaloor, we had to go towards Kundala on less than pristine roads and then to Top Station. Martin had told us that this route was shorter, BUT there was a forest check post and the forest guys over there would not allow us to ride any further on that road. Apparently, there was some incident a few weeks back (hell if I know what the incident was), so they would only allow locals or tourists in local taxis via that route. Martin and Pramod tried for almost 45 minutes to convince the officer over there to let us through. There was even a group of students from Cochin, which were trying to convince them, But, that guy was like Gandalf and did not let us pass.

Rocky road to Kundala
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-kundala.png

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-kundala1.png

So, we had to double back to Marayoor and go towards Munnar (an additional 70 kms). On the way back, we were going at a really brisk pace with, would you believe it, Martin leading. Pramod and I were tailing the convoy and stopped by the road side and spotted a bison while the other three had gone ahead (sorry, no photos since neither of us had cameras). We came back to Marayoor and took the route towards Munnar and what roads they were. We were actually glad the forest officer didn't let us through. We would have had to go about 7 kms on the above shown roads, while missing a road like this to Munnar.

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-munnar.jpg

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-way-munnar.jpg

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-way-munnar2.jpg

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-way-munnar3.jpg

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-way-munnar4.jpg

Let's click each other
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-lets-click-each-other.jpg

We came to see the tea estates at the right time I guess - different shades of green at each turn. Also en route to Munnar, we met a guy from the HVK forum who showed us the route to Munnar and was telling us about all the places we could visit in and around it. He was really encouraging, maybe, we reminded him of his younger days.

We reached Munnar, at around 7 pm when it was drizzling. Martin called the hotel that he had booked for us (Anand Resorts) and asked them if we can still make it or if there is some check post that might stop us. The guy on the other end of the phone told us that we could make it and if there was any problem at any check post, he would personally come and sort it out. So, we had some tea and started towards Top Station, which was some 35 kms away. It was a cold night, and Martin was visibly shivering as a result of which, our pace was a bit slow. We reached Top Station in an hour or so and then went to Vattavada through Pampadum Shola National Park. The guard at the check post of the national park warned us that bison might be on the roads. We kept our eyes wide open to spot any bison in the pitch dark, but, only spotted a small horse (or a mule, I am not sure). We reached Vattavada at around 9.30 pm and were asking for directions. Everyone knew about Anand resorts. We had to go through a few gully roads initially till we found the resort at about 9.45 pm. We had called ahead and asked them to make about 40 chapatis as we were really starving. And the food like the room was awesome. We devoured each and every morsel of food there was. We asked the resort manager, Prabhu, if we could use one more room in the morning just to get ready quickly. And this guy was kind enough to offer us another room for the entire night for the same price as it was off-season. The room rent was Rs. 2210 for 5 of us.

Pramod had got a hair dryer to dry clothes if needed (that’s what he told me). He began using it to warm himself up, the bed and the quilt before crashing for the night.

We didn't find any wild cats, I guess you'll have to do
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-cat1.png

Unhand me human! The other one was better
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-cat.png

That's the spot
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-20140727058.jpg

Distance travelled on Day 2: 270 kms
Route taken: http://goo.gl/Z42L5v

Day 3:

Everyone had to get up early as we had to reach the Athirapally check post before 4 pm latest to enter the forest check post for the highlight of our trip.

The Anand Resort guy had got piping hot tea at 5 am to wake us all up. We got ready pretty fast (relatively) and were ready to leave by 7.30 am.

We didn't realize it the previous night, but the resort had a great view. After a few clicks, we set off towards Top Station and then Munnar. Even the roads we came by were awesome ones, with great views on both sides, tea plantations or nilgiri trees. We stopped for a few minutes at Mattupatty Dam to take in the view and then rode towards Munnar. We could smell the tea in the air all the way till Munnar.

The resort
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-resort.jpg

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-view-resort.jpg

Us again
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-us-again.jpg

From Vattavada to Top station
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-way-top-station.jpg

Mattupatty dam
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-mattupatty-dam.jpg

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-way-munnar5.jpg

Breakfast
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-vada.jpg

Munnar town
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-munnar1.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited by Aditya : 20th February 2015 at 14:20. Reason: Spacing
Old 27th August 2014, 16:30   #3

Default re: Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)

We had breakfast (soft idlies and crispy vadas) at a small roadside eatery. Arun took a head start after breakfast, because he wanted to click some more photos. We met up with him just before Munnar, filled our bikes at the HP bunk in the town and were off towards Cochin, Adimali and Kothamangalam. I cannot find enough adjectives to describe the roads on this route - superb, awesome, mind-blowing - take your pick. Just the right number of curves, not too many, not too little. Even the weather was neither too hot, nor too cold, with just a slight drizzle. We were in the Goldilocks zone. And the route is riddled with waterfalls with very little traffic (unless two buses try to cross a narrow bridge simultaneously).

Waterfall 1
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-wf1.jpg

Waterfall 2
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-wf2.jpg

Waterfall 3
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-wf3.jpg

Waterfall 4
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-wf4.jpg

We bypassed Kothamangalam and rode towards Perumbavoor. We stopped at a town just before Kalady to have some tea and snacks. By now, the climate had changed drastically and it was really hot and humid. We started again towards Mookanoor, where we saw large rubber plantations and then rode further on to the forest check post near Vettilapara. After that it was the majestic Athirapalli waterfalls - we didn’t go down till the view point as we could see the falls pretty well from the road. 3 kms further on, is the Vazachal falls where you have a check post to enter into the Athirapally-Valparai forest route. After entering all our bike particulars, we were given a receipt to be produced at the check post on the other end. It was raining quite heavily and we managed to take only a few photos.

Rubber Plantations
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-rubber.jpg

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-rubber2.jpg

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-rubber3.jpg

Athirapally waterfalls
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-athirapally.jpg

Forest check post after Athirapalli falls
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-forest-cp.jpg

These pictures do paint a thousand words
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-forest.jpg

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-forest1.jpg

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-forest2.jpg

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-forest3.jpg

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-view.jpg

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-pipeline.jpg

Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-clouds.jpg

The road was littered with elephant dung almost all the way and the others did spot a wild elephant a few meters from the road, while I missed it. The almost double-lane road is well laid except for the last 3 kms or so. We were supposed to have lunch at restaurants a couple of kms from the checkpost, but we were pretty late and none of them had anything left. So, by the time we came out of the forest, we were starving. We stopped at the first shop that was open and hogged anything and everything they had ranging from bananas to cakes to parotas.

Bananas to cakes to parotas
Name:  20140728059.jpg
Views: 5963
Size:  45.7 KB

Effect of heavy rains
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-hands.jpg

After somewhat satisfying our hunger, we proceeded towards Sholayar Dam before which, we encountered the second forest check post where we gave the receipt that we got earlier. We reached Sholayar Dam just before it got dark. A few snaps there and onwards to Urulikal and then finally Valparai around 7 pm. The roads from Sholayar to Valparai are also pretty good with tea estates on either side. After tucking our bikes in for the night opposite the hotel we were staying at, we checked in. We stayed in a lodge called Treat Hotel which was pretty decent. There is another hotel called Sri Krishna Lodge, which would be ideal if you are going with your family. But for 5 guys at Rs. 200 per head for the night, we weren't complaining. After having dinner at a nearby hotel, I crashed pretty early FACE DOWN (thanks to my bull again). We had a long ride back the next day.

The second forest check post
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-cp2.jpg

Sholayar Dam
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-sholayar.jpg

Nicely tucked in
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-tucked-away.jpg

Distance travelled on Day 3: 280 kms
Route Taken: http://goo.gl/K3GcWv

Last edited by Aditya : 20th February 2015 at 13:08. Reason: Spacing
Old 18th February 2015, 18:27   #4

Day 4:

The final day of our ride had come upon us. Martin as usual, was giving us a list of all the animals we would encounter, but we were not too hopeful of sighting any. We started at around 7 am, after everyone had a shower with nice, hot water. We rode through the Valparai main bus stand, where we saw a "really" helpful signboard of all the tourist attractions in and around Valparai. We headed towards Pollachi via Aliyar. About 5 kms into the ride, mist started spreading and visibility reduced drastically to about 10-15 meters. But, it was kind of fun to ride following the tail light of the one in front of you. The mist began to settle down and we got a beautiful view of the Aliyar reservoir.

Next stop was at Waterfall Tea Estate for chai. After tasting all the variety they had, we stocked up on different tea powder to take back home.

We then began our descent to Pollachi via the 40 hairpin bend route. I personally don't like hairpin bends all that much (yeah, because I don't have the luxury to bend too much on my bullet), but, this particular route was really good, more so, because of the fact that we spotted a nuclear family of Nilgiri thars. Martin and Salman skidded to a halt upon spotting them. After taking lot of pics of the family, we moved on towards Pollachi past Loam's viewpoint. At Pollachi, we stopped for breakfast at a modest place where we had hot dosas and bid adieu to Arun, who would continue to Mangalore via Wayanad.

After leaving from Pollachi, we rode to Tiruppur and got stuck in the city traffic in the smoldering sun and then to Gobichettipalyam and Anthiyur. The roads till here were boring, straight 4-lane national highways. After Anthiyur though, the roads became interesting, albeit 2 lane, not that well laid, state highways. The roads got better past a small town, whose name I don't remember mainly because my bottom was burning (word of advice: don't wear cargo/cotton pants when riding for long distances).

It was already close to 4 pm when we realized that we were famished. We Stopped at a place near the Karnataka-Tamil Nadu border called Naal Road, which basically translates to 4 roads. The name seemed apt because it was a 4-road junction, where there was just one small hotel/mess, run by a lady who served us simple yet delicious food. After lunch, we made our way through Hanur, MM wildlife sanctuary and reached Kollegal. We quickly made our way through Kollegal city and reached the Shivansamudra bridge. Past the bridge, we encountered empty straight roads where even Martin touched 100 km/h on his bike. Needles to say, Buddha left the rest of us tasting his exhaust fumes. We regrouped at the same tea stall in Malavalli that we had been to on the first day and decided that we shall take the Kanakapura route back to Bangalore. It was dark by the time we started towards Kanakapura and the flow of traffic in and out of Bangalore was on the rise. Unfortunately, people driving in this 2 lane highway still haven't grasped the concept of using low beam on vehicles, which made the ride till Kanakapura a really irritating and slow one.

After a bit of waiting for everyone to regroup just before Kanakapura road signal in Bangalore, we parted ways at around 9 pm to reach our respective homes for a good night's sleep.

Really helpful signboard:
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-really-helpful-sign-board.jpg

No kidding!
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-mist.jpg

Anthiyur reservoir
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-anthiyur-reservoir.jpg

Waterfall Tea Estate
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-waterfall-estate.jpg

Route to Pollachi
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-route-pollachi.jpg

Highway to hell
Name:  highwaytohell.JPG
Views: 6033
Size:  167.9 KB

The Nilgiri Thar family
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-family.jpg

Sticks and stones never felt this comfortable
Name:  butt.JPG
Views: 5783
Size:  186.2 KB

Somewhere before Naal Road
Name:  before naal road.JPG
Views: 5716
Size:  18.3 KB

Distance travelled on day 4: 452 kms
Route taken: http://goo.gl/ytccRu

Last edited by Aditya : 20th February 2015 at 12:52. Reason: Spacing
BBhat is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 12:18   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 14:02   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)

Nice travelogue, and a very nice circuit taken at the right time of the year.
Riding is more interesting than driving when doing through the forests.
Ddrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 14:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the great description and images, this is a really hilarious travelogue. You guys sure had a load of fun and chose the best possible weather for it. The Munnar section had me reminiscing. I went there a few years ago with my family, but we went through one of those organized trip kind of deals, entailing a driver at every step of the way. The beauty of that place will have anyone begging to explore it on a bike (salt on my wounds when I saw two foreigners who seemed to have rented an old CI 350).

Quote:
Pramod didn’t want to climb down from his bike, as he had found his “sweet spot”
I can totally relate to that. It often takes hours of riding to get to that spot and even a sneeze can ruin things.

Quote:
(word of advice: don't wear cargo/cotton pants when riding for long distances).
Great advise for any rider. Cargos give you the storage, but at some point it feels like you're riding bare butt. Jeans always work best.

P.S: How did you capture this shot?
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 15:04   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations. That is an awesome ride undertaken at the right time as well. Some very decent photos as well. Thanks for sharing map links as well.

This takes me back over a decade to my college days when we used to have such whistle stop rides and cover serious distance as well. *sigh*
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 15:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Always love RRs (Ride Reports). Bikers rule!!

Nice report with some decent pics. Trust me, it is sometimes better to be riding in the rains than in the heat.

Rated a good 4 stars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBhat View Post
The owner of the hotel (the one in the red shirt)
Ah I was thinking it was the dude sitting on the steps
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 17:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
P.S: How did you capture this shot?
Hi Tushar, thanks a lot. For the photo, one of the riders, Arun went ahead and was waiting for us to pass by to get this click.
BBhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 18:11   #11
Team-BHP Support

Very nice and detailed travelogue. Had good fun reading and brought back lot of old memories.

FYI: The resort in Vattavada is a frequent joint for most of us offroaders, who visit the area
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2015, 11:53   #12
BHPian

That was a detailed Travelogue. One question though is that can one drive with a Motorbike inside Bandipur safari areas? In one of your pictures there is a warning sign that reads "spotting wildlife is not guaranteed". Is that stretch of road is the actual safari in Bandipur or is that just a national or a state highway?
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 07:49   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
That was a detailed Travelogue. One question though is that can one drive with a Motorbike inside Bandipur safari areas? In one of your pictures there is a warning sign that reads "spotting wildlife is not guaranteed". Is that stretch of road is the actual safari in Bandipur or is that just a national or a state highway?
Hey Joe , that board was there on the highway. One can go to safari areas only by the forest department vans. But if you are lucky , you can see some wildlife from the road.
BBhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 13:10   #14
BHPian

Beautiful travelogue and the biking makes it extra special. I had been through the route in October covering Gopalswamy Betta, Mudumalai, Bandipur and had some lucky wildlife sightings. Thing is that during rainy seasons, animals tend to be inside deep forest and won't come out in open. If you go during this time (January end to Monsoon beginning), there's better probability of sighting. Gopalswamy Betta is a treat to watch during the time of flower cultivation there (I guess from July-September mid)

Else, there are few 'watering-holes' in the stretch, where animals would come for water. However, waiting in the reserve for them is against law and all depends on our luck. Just sharing few pics.

The long road ahead. Onwards the checkpost below the temple, the road was horrible. The staff there said that they spotted tiger in the slopes during last week of September.
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-dsc00271.jpg

Temple at Gopalswamy Beta - Panorama. there is a water-hole right below where I was standing.
Wilderness on 2 wheels! 4 day Tristate ride (including Athirapally waterfalls)-dsc_3802.png

Valparai shots are amazing. Hope to cover the stretch during this monsoon season

Last edited by Mysticeyes : 23rd February 2015 at 13:11.
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote