Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 18th August 2014, 03:52   #1
BHPian

Default The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam

It so happened that the white Punto's black trip meter was stuck at 12,9XX kms for a very long time now > solution a minimum 100 km drive and you don't have to see the figures soon.

Well we (my better 0.5 and me ) started with that,the moment that beautiful VGT roared on ORR (Hyderabad) plans changed . My wife says,well if the plan is to get some fresh air why not be at a place which is uncommon and really serves fresh air for free . I looked at the fuel gauge,we had enough to get some fresh air .

The story continues,fresh air was indeed there but was bit confusing (probably it was my mistake,SOME SAY : it was definitely your mistake )

So,few weeks back i heard the name of Manjeera Dam and bird Sanctuary nearby . What else could be a better place to hangout in this weather . With great confidence I opened up google map and searched "Manjeera Dam"

Google says 60kms,i was not very happy but well,fresh air was the demand of the hour,fresh air be it !
Got off from the ORR and onto the Mumbai highway (Mutangi),truck depot,fresh air simply vanished,although served by 4 air vents . Journey continued,less dirt and dust in next 10 mins . We stopped by at a dhaba to get some breakfast . They served only aloo-paratha and poori as it was still the wee hours of the morning . Food was good and we started from there after 30 mins .

Road was decent,had been to Aurangabad ,2013 end and it was looking much better than before . Few of the place even had dividers . Pot holes were there but very less in number . Took a right after crossing a Small town of Rudraram . "Ismailkhanpet "Road continued straight for few unill it dropped us on the MedakSangareddy Road . Road condition was decent . Reached SHIVAMPET . A local advised us to take a diversion as it was not good for cars . We followed his instructions and landed on an insane tarmac . Road was extremely violent but the 195mm took care of every thing . Lower gear ratios helped a lot to get out of the mud and murk.

Finally arrived at Manjeera Dam,the dam served a great purpose for villages and adjoining states,I was not too impressed . I was hoping to see something bigger .
Spoke to some of the locals and told them about bird sanctuary,lucky people of AP atleast respond to people speaking Hindi . I was soon informed Anna you have landed at the wrong place .

Road condition

The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_2928.jpg
The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_2929.jpg

Well Google map,I still love you,you showed me a dam .
Locals told me " you better go to Singoor Project" if you really want to see some migratory birds.
Ahhh ! Singoor Project,that's a new name . Searched in google map and there it was 40 kms from where I was (Do note i was getting a steady 3G connection from airtel even in a remote area)

The most suggested route by locals was via Sultanpur (~40 kms) . Road again was decent,single lane throughout . We reached the Dam Gate and was elated at the vastness of the lake .

Shot of the Reservoir

The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_2149and2more_tonemapped.jpg

The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_2150.jpg

Picture of the Bridge on the other side of the Dam.

The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_3455and2more_tonemapped.jpg

Last edited by ARAY : 23rd August 2014 at 20:02.
ARAY is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 04:15   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Road Less traveled - Singoor Project / Manjeera Dam

Some more Pictures of the mechanicals above .

The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_2141.jpg
The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_2140.jpg

I was searching for some birds to take photos of,well its not the migration season
There was provision to go below the dam and onto the shallow side .

A picture of the shallow side of the Dam.

The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_2864_5_6_tonemapped.jpg

The mighty dam
The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_2850.jpg

The Power grid just opposite to the Dam
The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_2870.jpg

One of the most important Goddess,left unattended
The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_2849.jpg

Some good fellas

The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_3415.jpg

The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_3475.jpg

The crocodile breeding project was also there .
The Harita resort was a kilometer away . Through some rough roads and a small village .

Last edited by ARAY : 23rd August 2014 at 20:02.
Old 18th August 2014, 04:22   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Road Less traveled - Singoor Project / Manjeera Dam

The road to Harita involved crossing the bridge,picture i shared above .

A view of the Dam in its full glory
The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_2874_5_6_tonemapped.jpg

The canal opposite to the mighty Dam.
The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_2877_8_9_tonemapped.jpg

The Resort stood like a beautiful mirage in the middle of no where . It was not very crowded ( considering the lack of popularity of the place )

The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_2931.jpg

The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_2933.jpg

The entrance was massive
The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_2934.jpg

Lots of parking space,well ,one fine day it would all be occupied,i seriously hope so .
The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_2935.jpg

The dining area was clean,common for most Harita resorts.
The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_2932.jpg

The Staff at Harita informed us it would be easier to hit the Mumbai highway if we take a left from the road behind the resort .Wile entering the resort I has spotted a few trucks passing by so I was confirmed . Well google map came to play again.

Road from behind the resort " shortcut to Mumbai highway"
The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_2936.jpg

Last edited by ARAY : 23rd August 2014 at 20:03.
ARAY is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2014, 04:26   #4
BHPian

Default Re: Road Less traveled- Singoor Project / Manjeera Dam

The weather was going from great to awesome . It was just 3 in the afternoon and we had ample time to go back to all the hush hush

The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_2938and2more_tonemapped.jpg

Finally just before hitting the Mumbai Highway,some Great Egrets and white cranes made my day

Some more good Fellas

The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_3416.jpg

The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-img_3435.jpg

Note : I had confusions reaching the exact spot its actually SINGOOR PROJECT and Manjira Dam is just a small part of that,however ended up in a decently good spot .Exact coordinates for fellow members .

Google Map : http://goo.gl/maps/aYhxo
Coordinates : 1744'01.7"N 7755'12.0"E

The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam-route-map.jpg

Last edited by ARAY : 23rd August 2014 at 20:04.
Old 2nd September 2014, 19:02   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2014, 19:19   #6
BHPian

Default Re: The road less travelled, in search of fresh air - Singoor Project / Manjira Dam

Well that's a short and crisp travelogue with all the necessary details chipped in. I loved reading it and specially the way you described it. Loved your writing style. Needless to say beautiful pictures & your Punto looking beautiful as-usual.

I totally agree on your giving stress to 'fresh air'. That's what we lack in the cities. For us getting fresh is like a luxury!
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote