| || ||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|6th September 2015, 21:56||#16|
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Delhi
Thanked: 5 Times
Re: Buongiorno Italia
However, after a few friends cautioned us about the traffic, difficult roads etc, I am having second thoughts. So thought would check with you since you have first hand knowledge.
1. Is the coast really unsafe to drive ? I would imagine that Indians who have driven around Indian hill stations should do reasonably OK. Does one run the risk of damaging the rental car ?
2. How difficult is parking ?
3. Advisable to take a car from Naples or from Sorrento ?
I am just a bit worried about the traffic violations and possibility of damaging a rental car. Are these real risks or I am just being paranoid ?
|7th September 2015, 09:06||#17|
Join Date: Jul 2014
Thanked: 111 Times
Thanks a lot AG10. Its a fantastic place and you are going at the ideal time for a vacation. I ll answer your queries point by point.
Its ideal to rent a hatch depending on no of people. Yes some roads are narrow hence hatch will be easy to drive.
1. Its not unsafe to drive. People there are extremely courteous. You have to get adjusted to LHD driving conditions. That is vehicle at your left in a roundabout gets the higher priority. Some portions of amalfi roads are narrow but it shouldnt be an issue. People stick to lane discipline and right of way. Even i thought the roads would be narrow but believe me the roads are wider than i thought. Get a good insurance cover on your car to cover any damages. I dont think you will damage it in anyway.
2. Parking in sorrento, positano and salerno are difficult. You have to hunt for a space for few minutes. It took me a good 30mins to find a space during rush hour. But in the town of amalfi there are huge dedicated parking areas. Everything will be clearly marked.
3. Depends where you are staying. I stayed in sorrento so i rented the car in sorrento. So try to get a car from the place near where you stay.
Regarding taffic violations just stick to speed limits and you should be fine. All types of roads like motorways, state highway and regional roads have speed cameras and there are clear road signs mentioning about speed cameras.
Also keep in mind about ZTL zones. They are usually restricted roads which are exclusively for local residents. Outside cars and rental cars are charged toll for entering into ZTL. Its also clearly marked and there are cameras which click the pic of number plate and compare it with a database of local residents. If your car is not in the list then a toll is charged which is debited from your credit/debi card automatically.
Just drive within rules there should be no problem with traffic violations. Get a higher insurance cover by paying few euros extra and dont worry about vehicle damage or theft. I guess it should be already mentioned in your car booking.
Have fun and dont forget to have pizza in NAPLES. Its the birth place of pizza and worlds best pizza is made there. Its unique due to the weather conditions and the ingredients that are available there.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Christmas to New Year - East Coast to West Coast - Circular trip||jeevmenon||Travelogues||21||22nd August 2010 20:51|
|Us - Coast To Coast Trip||ramkya1||Route / Travel Queries||19||14th July 2010 05:39|
|East Coast to West Coast (Almost) - Chennai to Mahabaleshwar & back. PICS Added!||pypkmsrikanth||Travelogues||18||17th October 2008 13:43|
|Cross Country Trip down the West Coast and Up the East Coast.||wanderernomad||Route / Travel Queries||32||9th July 2008 18:47|