Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 1st September 2014, 18:00   #1
BHPian

Default Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!

Did i drive? No.
Did i visit the Ladakh region? No. Its reserved for my next years drive.
What did i do this time? It was family trip from Kolkata by flight with my parents and wife.
Did we enjoy the trip? Yes to the fullest extent.

Now i am doing the most foolish thing, that's being a 1st time visitor to Kashmir am penning down a travelogue on Kashmir that too in Team Bhp where all the experts on this region has already penned down there awesome travelogues..!

Now why Kashmir?
After getting married in March this year, we visited the Andaman. That's one of the best sea side destination in India.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ide-india.html (Andaman - India outside India!)

In May we visited Corbett and Agra. Arguably one of the best jungle and Agra for the worlds one of the best architectural wonder.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...nds-delhi.html (Corbett Tiger Reserve & Agra: Two consecutive weekends from Delhi!)

So how can a trip to the mountains be left out, that too when the only heaven on earth where living beings can reach belongs to our country? So it had to be Kashmir. So within six months span all these had been done.

Now we had a plan to visit Kashmir but we were contemplating when to do it. We thought of doing it after the Durga Puja. But one day i was driving near the Kolkata airport and coincidentally i got a mail from Indigo regarding a discounted fare for a return trip for Kolkata- Srinagar in August! First thing i did was i what's app'd HV.Kumar sir to know whether August was a good time or not! And what a man he is! With two minutes he replied me back to go ahead with the trip. I thanked him, went to the Airport and got the tickets.

As soon as i booked the tickets my first work was to open Team Bhp and search for what best we can do in these seven days. 22nd August 2014 to 29th August 2014. Searched several travelogues and fixed the following itinerary.

Day 1- Kolkata- Srinagar.
Day 2- Srinagar- Yusmarg- Srinagar.
Day 3- Srinagar- Gulmarg and stay in a tent at Gulmarg.
Day 4 - Have a Gondola ride till phase two, come back and head to Pahalgam.
Day 5- Visit Aruvalley, Betaab Valley, Chandanwari and stay back at Pahalgam. We stayed at a off beat place at Pahlagam which is 15kms before the city, beside the Lidder river. More on that later.
Day 6- Pahalgam - Srinagar. Visit the market in Srinagar and taste some authentic Kashmiri dishes.
Day 7- Srinagar- Sonmarg- Srinagar. ( To have a small taste of what Ladakh will offer!)
Day 8- Srinagar - Kolkata.

Let me share a teaser picture before i go ahead with the travelogue.

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4143.jpg

For better quality pictures, please check out the album 'Landscape' in my website. The kashmir pictures are clubbed with pictures of other places. Sorry for the inconvenience.

http://www.sambasenguptaphotography....age-categories

Last edited by Samba : 3rd September 2014 at 13:04.
Samba is offline   (16) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2014, 00:16   #2
BHPian

Default re: Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!

Day 1

Srinagar.

Our flight was at Morning 8-50 am to Delhi and a connecting flight at 12-30pm for the onwards journey to Srinagar. Both the flights were on time so we landed by 1.50pm at Srinagar. We had booked a Chevrolet Tavera for the whole trip but due to some mechanical glitch the Tavera didn't turn up instead we were provided with a 10 years old Qualis with over 400k on the odometer! We paid him rs17,800 for the whole trip and that included toll rates. We took it non Ac. I was a bit skeptical about the vehicle but once i sat on it i was more than satisfied! Its smooth and as good as a 3 years old car! This muv was so comfortable with highly cushioned seats that we felt it more comfortable than an Innova which we hired at Pahelgam for the sightseeing's. I always love bragging about Toyota and it gave me more reasons to do so. Anyways rather than going off topic let me come back to the travelogue. Our drivers name was Mr.Ghulam Ahmed. He was in his 40's and a very good person and a very safe and smooth driver. That's all i wanted for a family trip. We reached our hotel in 30 minutes from airport.

We stayed at Hotel Pacific. Its behind the Dal lake and a 5 minutes walk from the Bullevart road. The hotel is good, location is good but view from room is restricted. Food is good and the hotels stuffs are very polite, friendly and helpful. This hotel is recommended for staying.

Hotel website- http://hotelpacifickashmir.com/

The very first day we planned for a shikara ride. We were so much elated by the Shikara ride that even the next day after coming back from Yusmerg we had taken another Shikara ride. For two consecutive days we had around 7 hours of Shikara ride. Let me share the pics from Dal lake. Am putting the pics of Dal lake from our day 1 and day 2 ride so i can continue with the other places later without bringing the Dal lake in between!

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3654.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3655.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3808.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3815.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3824.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3829.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3840.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3846.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3847.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3848.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3849.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3851.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3852.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3871.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3872.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3900-1.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3900-2.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3900-3.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3901-1.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3901-2.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3908.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3909.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3923.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3940.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3943.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3950.jpg

That's Nagin lake. As i attached so many pics of Dal lake, so as a reference i put this pic here itself. Took this pic on the way to Sonmarg from Srinagar.

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4368.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 3rd September 2014 at 12:05.
Samba is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2014, 01:24   #3
BHPian

Day 2

Yusmarg

First time i read about this place was in a Team Bhp travelogue. After reading it, it was straight into our itinerary. Its hardly 50kms from Srinagar but still takes 2.5 hours to reach. The first 25kms goes through messy and congested traffic. After that from when the up hill climb starts we felt more in the lap of nature. We were surrounded by greenery and the places around looked so fresh and welcoming. This road has some high security. But they never disturb the tourists unless they have some doubt. Traffic is less, so locals take undue advantage of collecting illegal tolls from vehicles plying on this road.. Our driver told its common in this region. The last 10kms journey before reaching Yusmerg is more beautiful than the destination. As its said happiness is in the journey not in the destination. Yusmerg is full of meadows and this place has some similarity with Gulmarg. I termed it as mini Gulmarg. But its more wild and less commercialized than Gulmarg.

We started from Srinagar at 11am and reached Yusmarg around 1-30pm. We stayed over there for an hour but while coming back just after few kilometers, we spent a good time beside a small stream in the midst of the mountains. It was like a picturesque. After spending a good time we started from there around 4pm and by 6pm we reached our hotel. Soon after reaching our hotel we headed out for another Shikara ride as we were mightily impressed by the beauty of Dal lake the previous day.

As i have shared all the pics of Dal lake in my previous post, let me just put few pics from our Yusmarg visit.

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3783.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3787.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3794.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3799.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3801.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 3rd September 2014 at 12:10.
Samba is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2014, 14:43   #4
BHPian

Day 3

Gulmarg

Plan for the day was to start from Srinagar around 10am and reach Gulmarg by 1pm. Every thing was as per plan and we reached Gulmarg by the scheduled time. The local taxi association do not allow out station cars to enter Gulmarg. One has to take a local taxi to get in. But as we had our hotel booking voucher with us, on showing that they agreed us to get inside in our Srinagar registered Taxi.

Hill road starts from Tanmarg and the up hill drive is around 15kms. The rest 40kms from Srinagar is on plain. The last 15 kilometers uphill drive is very scenic and refreshing.

We have booked Gulmarg Meadows over here. They offer tent facility. Its located in a meadow beside the army camp. According to the locals its the best located place to stay at Gulmarg and after visiting i agree to them. The location is awesome, rooms are comfortable with electric blankets. On the flip side the wash rooms are basic but clean with 24 hours warm water, and non veg food is not available. The veg food they provided was tasty. The stuff's were very cooperative and friendly. This place is highly recommended.

Hotel website- http://www.gulmargmeadows.com/cms.php?p=services

After checking in we had some food and it was raining heavily and the sight was breath taking. Once the rain stopped the sky cleared up and it was sunny. We took a walk around the meadows near the tent from 3-30 pm till around 7pm. The scenery surrounding us was so awesome that i was thoroughly confused on what shot to take and what not to take. So i decided if i take some random shots in any side its going to be beautiful and i did that! I just clicked the shutter like clicking snap shots. This place was located away from the town so i had a hunch that we could see the milky way in the evening. And i was right it made its appearance and the milky in the back drop of the meadows was some view which one will remember for life time.

So let me share the pics without boring every one with my writing.

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_3992.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4025.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4029.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4032.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4054.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4063.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4083.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4071.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4094.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4125.jpg

The tents.

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4127.jpg

This was our room inside.

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4128.jpg

The dining place.

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4126.jpg

And finally before retiring for the day a couple of pics from where we originally belongs too..! The Milky way.

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4134-2.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4143.jpg

Day 4

Today our plan was to take the Gondola ride in the morning to go till Khilanmarg and from there take the 2nd part and reach the Phase 2 to see some snow.We had booked our tickets the previous day by an agent who was know to our driver. We did so to avoid standing in long que's to book the tickets. The cost of tickets per person was rs 1400 till Phase two and return. One can buy the tickets online too. http://gulmarggondola.com/tickets_skipasses.php

The ride starts from 10am. As we had plans to reach Pahalgam the same day, we made no delay and reached there by 10Am. The Gondola took us 10 minutes to reach Phase 1 which is Khilenmarg and from there the connecting Gondola took another 15 minutes to take us to Phase two at a height of 14,000 feet. The snow region was about 500 meter's uphill walk from there. Wife and mom took a horse, me and dad decided to walk. Walking 500 meters uphill at 14,000 feet with a 8kg camera bag pack was not a good decision for those who are not accustomed to do so. Locals were doing it in no time but we were struggling and getting out of breath. So did it slowly in around 20-30 minutes.

Now this place is beautiful but its equally highly commercialized too. Once you start walking they will force you to take there jackets and shoes for rs 200 per person. That is absolutely not required. Unless you are not wearing a proper shoe, one can opt for the shoe for walking on the snow. I had my shoes, so i straight away rejected them. Mom & wife took there service.

Now the connecting service is, they insist you take a horse to reach the snow. They ask for rs 2000 for two horse and settled for half the price.

Once we reach the snow to go up further , the Sledge union comes into picture and will ask around 500 per person to take up further on snow covered area. One can opt to walk as well by the rocky region beside the snow. But i was tired after walking 500 meters so opted to go on the sledge with my mom and wife. Dad preferred to stay down.

Once you go up for 100 meters they will leave you there and for going further the skiing association will bug you to take further for another rs 500 per person! I politely rejected that offer and we walked around to see the view. Though walking in snow is really tricky! So to reach the snow if some one is not accustomed to walking in high altitude the price per person will be approximately rs 1500-2000 depending on your bargaining skills!

So please prepare yourself accordingly before reaching there.

Now let me share the pics from the Gondola ride till Phase two.

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4156.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4158.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4163.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4164.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4168.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4181.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4200.jpg

By 1pm we were back from the Gondola ride and we set our further journey towards Pahalgam.

Last edited by Samba : 3rd September 2014 at 14:18.
Samba is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2014, 15:55   #5
BHPian

Pahalgam

We started from Gulmarg at 1pm. Had lunch at Tanmarg, the foot hills of Gulmarg and continued our further journey. To reach Pahalgam we had to cross Srinagar once again through the ring road. But around 4pm it was horrible with traffic jam. It was already 5pm when we were on the Srinagar- Pahalgam road. That road was having heavy traffic too. Fighting with the traffic we reached the climb up part around 7ish. Kasmir being in the west here sun set occurs around 7-15pm. So around 7pm one feels like afternoon unlike Kolkata which is in the East.

We had our bookings at Lidder Resort Pahalgam. Its located 15kilometers before reaching the Pahalgam town, in an offbeat location just beside the Lidder river. Our driver misjudged the name with Lidder Palace so he went straight till Pahalgam and he had to return back 15kms. So we reached our hotel around 8pm.

The location of this resort is awesome. Service is worst i ever had. For tea they require around 30-45 minutes. They give hot water in bucket. No 24 hours hot water. In night no electricity. Government has cut there electricity line so they run on generator and at night they switch it off. So no electricity at night. Menu card has 100's of items but on ordering you can get hardly one or two based on there convenience. Plus they love to put some extra complimentary sodium (salt) on there food. We had to tell them specifically not to do that favor on us! One of the tap in our wash room was faulty too. Most of the time they keep the room service telephone dead! So for any requirement i had to go down from the 2nd floor tell them and again go up! After repetitive requests they put on the phone line.

Enough of negatives. Now few positives- Rooms are good and comfortable with excellent view. The stuffs try there best to serve but lack of infrastructure restricts them. At night around 9-30pm my mom needed a medicine and on request one guy named Basheer gladly went out and brought the medicine for us. That was really nice of him.

Now do i recommend this hotel? Totally unacceptable service for a hotel with this kind of room tariff. Not recommended to others. Recommended only if the service improves in future.

Hotel website- http://lidderresorts.com/gallery.aspx

Now let me share few pics from the first day visit to Pahalgam.

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4221.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4227.jpg

This is the bridge where Sharukh Khan used to diffuse the bombs planted by Yash chopra in the movie'Jak tak hai jaan'...!

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4240.jpg

Day 5

Our Plan for today was to go till Pahalgam Taxi stand hire a Taxi to visit Aru valley, Betaab Valley and Chandanwari. Taxi's from other places are not allowed to ply there so one has to hire a local taxi.

We woke up lazily around 9ish and went out by 10-30am after having our breakfast.

On the way to Pahalgam town from our hotel.

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4244.jpg

On reaching, we saw there were fixed taxi rates for different category of taxi's with different sight seeing points. We opted for an Innova for the 3 points and it costed us rs 2100.

Am sure the Innova guy would have made till Team Bhp if he would have been better in his English.

He bought the car with ABS and Airbag. It had had reverse camera, Sony 2 din touch screen audio system which can play movies with six jbl speakers. Now he do not let any body close the door. Every time we used to get in and get out he jumps out from his seat and opened and closed the door for us with utmost care. He kept all the power windows locked from his door, so to put up and down we had to request him! In the bad stretches he drove so slow and carefully that his car will never have any suspension issues! While going it was slightly drizzling. As soon as we got off he promptly got down with a piece of cloth and started cleaning his car. That time i told him to buy a micro fiber cloth or else his cloth can put swirl marks to his paint. I once saw him cleaning the bonnet with his own t-shirt! He accepted my idea gladly and am sure he will buy that soon. It was a few months old Innova with 8k in the odometer. The car still had the smell of new car. The rest of us got fed up with his car obsession but again i was the scape goat and every one was comparing him to me. Other tourists may not like his behavior but i liked him.

Okay lets come back to the travelogue again!

Our first destination was Aru valley. Yet another picturesque location. Here we saw few tent facilitates too, if one wants to stay in the lap of nature.

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4248.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4250.jpg

From here our next location was Betaab Valley.

We did not enter inside, we went till the entry gate and saw the ariel view of Betaab Valley from the road to Chandanwari.

Lidder flowing in full flow in front of Betaab Valley.

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4287.jpg

Ariel view of Betaab Valley.

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4338.jpg

A couple of pics en-route to Chandanwari from Betaab Valley.

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4330.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4333.jpg

We reached Chandanwari around 1-30pm.

This place is the point from where Amarnath yatra starts. From here Amarnath is 32kms walk. Once we got down a guy came to us claiming he will take us to the snow as our guide for rs200. Plus rs 100 for umbrella as it was drizzling. The walk to the snow was a straight 10 minutes walk and he demanded rs 200 for that! We straight away rejected him and walked till the snow. It looked like a small glacier.

Few pics from Chandanwari.

Name:  IMG_4291.jpg
Views: 5085
Size:  729.3 KB

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4292.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4293.jpg

Name:  IMG_4297.jpg
Views: 5077
Size:  688.8 KB

From here we were back to Pahalgam by 3-30pm. One needs around 4 hours to cover up all these three points. At pahalgam we went to Dana Pani, one of the famed restaurant over there. It was a veg restaurant but food was good. After the late lunch we started back for our hotel and reached our hotel by 5pm and had tea with the view of Lidder river and the setting sun.

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4349.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4357.jpg

Soon it became dark and the sky was clear, so i thought of taking a chance to see the milky once again and luck favored me...!

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4360.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4363.jpg

With a good note we had our dinner and retired for the day by 10pm.

Day 6

Well this was a leisure day for us. Our plan was to come back till Srinagar and do some shopping and try out local Kashmiri dishes. We started from Pahalgam by 8-30 am and reached our hotel at Srinagar by 11-30am. The 90kms drive took us around 3 hours with less traffic in the morning. We stayed at the same hotel. Hotel Pacific. Post lunch we did visit Chasmasahi and Mughal Garden, but i was too lazy to carry my camera. So no pics for the day. And i do not repent for not carrying my camera too for these places. But the water of Chasmasahi was really tasteful. One must try it out at-least once.

After that we did some shopping in the market at Bullevert road. Wife collected an information that Hotel Shamiyana is famous for great food. We tried Kashmiri Dishes like Nadru (Made of lotus stem), Mutton Gustaba, Mutton Rogan Josh & Mutton Rista. I preferred the Rogan josh among all.

After the relaxing day we were back to our rooms by 10pm, had some chit chats among ourselves and hit the bed by 11-30pm.

Next day our target was to visit Sonmarg.

Last edited by Samba : 3rd September 2014 at 12:36.
Samba is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2014, 16:55   #6
BHPian

Day 7

Sonmarg

Sonmarg is a 90kilometers drive from Srinagar and takes around 2.5 to 3 hours.

Post breakfast we started around 10am and reached by 1pm. As this same road goes to Ladakh i was over excited on this journey. I bugged our driver by 1000's of queries regarding ladakh and its roads. He patiently replied to all my queries and suggested me, to do this drive i should eat more!

On the way we spotted Ahsan Mount resort. These tents are located 5 kilometer before Sonmarg. Its really exotic and the location is beautiful just beside the Sindh river flowing in full flow. I checked the rooms and the wash rooms inside and they were more than excellent. Spending a night over here is definitely worth it.

There website- http://www.ahsanmountresort.com/

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4440.jpg

And had a cup of awesome Kahwah chai in an awesome location! Life cant be any better!

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4447.jpg

Few pictures from Sonmarg and on the way.

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4376.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4391.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4399.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4421.jpg

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4428.jpg

That's our driver and guide with his trusted Qualis for these 7 days. A great person he is.

Kashmir - A Traveller's Paradise!-img_4448.jpg

From Sonmarg if any one wants to visit Zero point or the snow glaciers he has to hire a local cab or a horse. It will take another 4 hours approximately. As i have plans to drive till Leh next year we skipped going there this time and another reason was mom was not feeling comfortable at that altitude.

So after spending a good time we came back to Srinagar around 5pm. Again headed out for a walk at Bullevert road, had coffee at the Cafe Coffee Day and came back to our hotel, had dinner and retired for the day.

Day 8

Srinagar to Kolkata.

Our flight was at 3-10pm but we had to start from our hotel 3.5 hours before the scheduled time due to few consecutive stringent security checks on the way to airport. Our flight was at 3-10pm and scheduled to reach Delhi by 4-25pm. Our connecting flight was at 5-50pm. But due to non clearance from ATC our flight for Delhi left at 4-30pm and reached Delhi by 5-45pm. As we had the connecting flight in Indigo itself they did some awesome job. They did the security check inside the flight and asked us to board a bus in the airport bay and directly took us to the Delhi - Kolkata flight and asked us to board that flight! This was blessings in disguise! We didn't had to take the trouble of again going out and do the security check and get in! By 8-30pm we reached Kolkata and by 9-30pm it was home sweet home!

An awesome journey ended with a good note.

Last edited by Samba : 3rd September 2014 at 14:21.
Samba is offline   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2014, 17:55   #7
BHPian

Few small bits from the trip-

1) 'Bargain' is the key to save money. Starting from hotel rates, Shikara rides, horse rides, cabs, shops every where bargaining is the key. If you are good at it, at the end of the trip you can save atleast 5-10k! I saved around 8k.

2)Kahwah tea is a must.

3)Buying saffrons from guys selling in Shikara is a big NO. They will give you duplicate products. For buying saffron, the best place is on the way to Pahalgam from Srinagar.There are saffron fields. But still the rates are sky high. They ask rs200 for 1 gm!

4) Army person's roam around almost every where. We could see them standing in the roof of houses and shops. So it felt secured but still i would suggest a walk after 9-30pm should be avoided.

5) Airport has very high security. They say they do not allow any hand bags but they do allow to take camera's and other hand bags with in permissible limit. In many cases they open up the hand bags and check each and every item before letting you in.

6) Be cooperative with the army men and security personnel's. They work for our safety.

7) Local people's behavior are very nice and polite, then expect back the same from us.

8) Hindi is the most commonly used language for those who are not aware of the local language.

9) Do not click pictures of army, army trucks and there belongings without proper permission from them.

10) Do the bookings few months prior to the trip, so you can grab some discounts. In off-seasons hotels give 20-30% discounts.

11) While hiring a shikara never take it as hourly basis, take it point wise. Covering from the start of Bullevert road gate 1 till the last House boats stands and coming back through meena bazar will take you around 3 hours and charges should be around rs 600-800 depending on season.

12) For hiring a taxi check out the fixed rates from the taxi association.

For any further queries i will be more than happy to answer anyone.

Last edited by Samba : 3rd September 2014 at 12:50.
Samba is offline   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 14:28   #8
Team-BHP Support

Mod note: Thread moved from Assembly Line to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing these beautiful images and crisp report.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 14:55   #9
BHPian

Awesome and some breathtaking pictures. The milky way especially has come out so good. Can you share your camera settings when taking this particular shot?
Looking at the scenery, now I am two minds that should I plan to go to KAshmir in winters or in summers?
sukhoi30 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 15:40   #10
e2p
BHPian

The photographs are simply amazing! Loved them. Thanks a lot for sharing.
e2p is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 16:01   #11
BHPian

Awesome set of photographs. Kashmir may be old on TBHP but the photographs are not. Just loved the perspectives, the natural blue and clarity. Waiting for more.
himadrimondal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 16:30   #12
BHPian

Great Pictures Samba !! This look of Kashmir is quite different than the ones that we usually see in winter photographs.

And now that you have preponed the Durga Puja plan. Do we wait for another travelogue post Pujas.
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 20:42   #13
BHPian

The pictures are breathtaking especially the ones around Dal lake. You and your camera should definitely visit Ladakh.
tomraven99 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 20:53   #14
BHPian

Boss, you have some serious talent with the lenses. Awesome camerawork here!!

Kashmir is on my list of probables for next year's family trip, and you have given me plenty of pointers
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 21:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Thanks for sharing these beautiful images and crisp report.
Thanks a lot for the compliment sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Awesome and some breathtaking pictures. The milky way especially has come out so good. Can you share your camera settings when taking this particular shot?
Looking at the scenery, now I am two minds that should I plan to go to KAshmir in winters or in summers?
Thanks a lot. According to me Kashmir should be visited once in every season, its such a beauty! If you want snow visit in winter and if you prefer greenery August to October is the best time. Now my parents are saying they want to visit Kashmir again during snow!

For Milky way my setting was- 11mm, F2.8, Iso-1600, Exposure- 30 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2p View Post
The photographs are simply amazing! Loved them. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Thanks a lot. Am glad you liked them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Awesome set of photographs. Kashmir may be old on TBHP but the photographs are not. Just loved the perspectives, the natural blue and clarity. Waiting for more.

Thanks a lot dada. It was a family trip so i took limited pics, if i can dig out some more will definitely post over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Great Pictures Samba !! This look of Kashmir is quite different than the ones that we usually see in winter photographs.

And now that you have preponed the Durga Puja plan. Do we wait for another travelogue post Pujas.
Thanks a lot.

Now post Durga Puja i really want to do a road trip to North Sikkim. If i can manage to do the trip, will definitely compile another travelogue. But the primary problem is am running short in vitamin M after doing these three trips in a span of six months. So lets see what happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomraven99 View Post
The pictures are breathtaking especially the ones around Dal lake. You and your camera should definitely visit Ladakh.
Thanks a lot, but for Ladakh i want my camera and my car both to reach along with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Boss, you have some serious talent with the lenses. Awesome camerawork here!!

Kashmir is on my list of probables for next year's family trip, and you have given me plenty of pointers
Thanks a lot. If you have any queries you can feel free to PM me or ask any queries over here. I will definitely try my best to answer you.

Last edited by Samba : 3rd September 2014 at 21:51.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote