Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 10th October 2014, 18:54   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Turkish Delights

Hey Sameer, excellent travelogue. I can't thank you enough for taking so much time and effort to capture and pen down each and every detail. In fact I'm planning a trip to Turkey with my wife in March 2015. I'd appreciate if you could answer these queries I have:
1. Did you plan the entire trip yourself? Or did you take help from a travel agent? Which do you think is better?
2. Do we need any special license to drive cars in Turkey? Or the international driver's license given by our local RTO would suffice?
3. Did you book hotels using makemytrip (Or similar)? Or did you go to the respective hotels' website to book separately?
4. Which Hot balloon company did you book with? 9K seems very reasonable.
5. How did you commute inside the city for local sight seeing?

Thanks in advance.
amazer2013 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2014, 23:20   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sameer, the shoot you mentioned is now up & running in the form of a tv advert for a chocolate major. Saw the ad some time ago and Aditi reminded me of your thread. Enjoyed all the snaps again, some more than others Ciao

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
Up on getting up I was offered some refreshments and snack. There was a Bollywood actor Aditi Rao Hydari travelling with us and I wanted to take a snap with her. I requested the Steward to check with her if she would oblige for a photo op!She agreed and we met at the front of the cabin and clicked some snaps with her including a selfie!!. Apparantly she was travelling to Budapest for a film shoot. Rajkumar Rao her co actor was also travelling with her. Though we did not click any photos with him ;-).
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2014, 06:53   #33
BHPian

[quote=amazer2013;3553710]Hey Sameer, excellent travelogue. I can't thank you enough for taking so much time and effort to capture and pen down each and every detail. In fact I'm planning a trip to Turkey with my wife in March 2015. I'd appreciate if you could answer these queries I have:
1. Did you plan the entire trip yourself? Or did you take help from a travel agent? Which do you think is better?
2. Do we need any special license to drive cars in Turkey? Or the international driver's license given by our local RTO would suffice?
3. Did you book hotels using makemytrip (Or similar)? Or did you go to the respective hotels' website to book separately?
4. Which Hot balloon company did you book with? 9K seems very reasonable.
5. How did you commute inside the city for local sight seeing?
Thanks in advance. [\QUOTE]

Hello brother!

Glad you liked my travelogue. Thanks!!

1) Yes we(friends and me) planned the trip ourselves. First we zeroed on what places we'd like to see in Turkey and then went about with the bookings online. Doing a trip on your own gives one the freedom. But at the same time it's quiet a lot of hardwork and patience. Depends on how much time you can devote for the planning process hence decide accordingly to do it yourself or leave it to the travel agent.

2) Indian DL is accepted in Turkey.

3) Booked online at booking.com. You can do a hotel search on trip advisor they give out the hotel rates from different booking sites for us to compare and book.

4) Precise tours Turkey(precisetours.com) They offered the cheapest rate for the Hot Air Balloon. Their service was very efficient as well.

5) In Istanbul we used public transport. Metro/Tram/Bus. In Cappodoccia precise tours arranges the pick up and drop from the airport/hotel to the hot air balloon lift off place. Transfers are included in the package. At Izmir/Pamukkale we had rented Europcar.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip. If you would like to know more details feel free to ask. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hi Sameer, the shoot you mentioned is now up & running in the form of a tv advert for a chocolate major. Saw the ad some time ago and Aditi reminded me of your thread. Enjoyed all the snaps again, some more than others Ciao
Hi Sir,

You are right they had gone to Budapest for the ad shoot. Figured that out when Aditi tweeted about it.
sameer sultan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 17:55   #34
BHPian

Hello again Sameer!
We're counting the last 2 days before our Turkey trip starts (29th April). Need some information on currency. Since we cannot buy Lira in India, what did you do for cash? Can we use our Indian debit card to draw cash at ATM?
Thanks in advance.
amazer2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 18:20   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazer2013 View Post
We're counting the last 2 days before our Turkey trip starts (29th April). Need some information on currency. Since we cannot buy Lira in India, what did you do for cash? Can we use our Indian debit card to draw cash at ATM?
Thanks in advance.
  • Best option is to buy USD or EUR from here & change into Lira locally, thats cheapest.
  • Next best is to take a Thomas Cook or Citibank prepaid forex card & draw Lira locally or use to pay directly
  • 3rd best is to use Indian international debit card & withdraw cash locally or directly use for transactions
  • Worst option is to use credit cards

Enjoy your trip!
gsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 19:49   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazer2013 View Post
Hello again Sameer!
Thanks in advance.

Hi Amazer

I had bought US$ and exchanged some in the airport for immediate expense and major amount in the many exchange shops in Taksim Square and Istiklal Street.

Yes you could also use your international debit card to withdraw local currency but the exchange rate might be more as some banks tend to levy a surcharge for foreign exchange.

Have an enjoyable trip.
sameer sultan is offline   Reply With Quote